• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, it gets more complicated the more I ask. :D

Even if I don't really need a JR pass for Osaka-Kyoto, I guess a one week pass will still be cheaper than the sum of tickets Osaka-Hiroshima and back, Osaka-(Hakone)-Tokyo and possibly Osaka-Nara and back and maybe some other day trips? Then it's just a matter of the best order of these train trips within seven days.

Is Miyajima worth a visit in your opinion and if it is, can Hiroshima+Miyajima be done in a single day trip relatively stress-free? I've talked to an acquaintance a few weeks ago who was in Japan recently and he told me about an island he visited next to Hiroshima with a shrine at the beach, what I assume must have been Miyajima. From what he said it wasn't something you absolutely have to see, though.

Also, now I remember he also said most tourist places close at 5 pm, is that true? He said he was surprised everything closed so early.

I've thought about visiting Hakone, but I'm not sure about onsen in August? I've googled a bit and from what people say it's best in colder weather but still great in the summer? Has anyone been to an onsen at peak summer?

I'll look into Nagano, Yamanouchi and Mt. Takao, thanks for the hint. I guess the hot spring monkeys probably won't take a hot bath when it's 30+°C outside, though? :)

Even if I don't really need a JR pass for Osaka-Kyoto, I guess a one week pass will still be cheaper than the sum of tickets Osaka-Hiroshima and back, Osaka-(Hakone)-Tokyo and possibly Osaka-Nara and back and maybe some other day trips? Then it's just a matter of the best order of these train trips within seven days.

Is Miyajima worth a visit in your opinion and if it is, can Hiroshima+Miyajima be done in a single day trip relatively stress-free? I've talked to an acquaintance a few weeks ago who was in Japan recently and he told me about an island he visited next to Hiroshima, what I assume must have been Miyajima. From what he said it wasn't something you absolutely have to see, though.

Also, now I remember he also said most tourist places close at 5 pm, is that true? He said he was surprised everything closed so early.

I've thought about visiting Hakone, but I'm not sure about onsen in August? I've googled a bit and from what people say it's best in colder weather but still great in the summer? Has anyone been to an onsen at peak summer?

Yeah, but you can be more flexible and use it for going to more places while in Tokyo as well instead of using it for Kyoto if you want to. Depends on how many day trips you want to take.

Hiroshima and Miyajima can be done in 1 day, yeah. I even did Miyajima, Hiroshima and Himeji in 1 day, but I don't recommend doing that unless you're fast ;P

Itsukushima Shrine with the torii gate in the water is more interesting than Todaiji Temple that people visit in Nara IMO, and there's deer wandering around on both the island and at Nara park. If you're mainly going for the deer, both places are equally good, and if you're going to explore Kyoto for several days you'll get sick of temples and shrines anyway after a while ;P

A lot of tourist attractions close at 17-18 yeah, so you'd better check opening hours for stuff you want to check out. Some places also close 1 day a week, so be vary of that as well.

Relaxing at an onsen is great any time you've done a lot of tourist stuff :p

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really know the layout of Tokyo yet, but wouldn't traveling within the city be most convenient using the metro? What would I use the JR pass for there? A ticket to Mt. Takao seems to be cheaper than a ticket Osaka-Kyoto. Any suggestions besides Nagano that would make a good day trip from Tokyo using the JR pass?

I've shuffled my chart around a bit based on the suggestions I got:
- Since I arrive at KIX early morning on the 29th, I could use the day for sightseeing in Osaka (keep luggage at train station) before going to my hotel in Kobe in the evening.
- Now 3 day trips to Kyoto from Osaka. Visiting Kyoto on a weekend is ok, right? Second day of Osaka sightseeing in between to prevent temple overload. :)
- Himeji trip is now half-day, going there in the morning, then back to Osaka in early afternoon, get luggage and then on to Hakone. Should be ok time-wise? Stay in Hakone for a night and then onwards to Tokyo.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8NIuPD2.png[/IMG]

I'm still not really sure about the best usage of the JR pass.

danowat

Banned
We pretty much used the Yamanote line for all our inner city travel in Tokyo, it's covered by the JR pass.

Think we only used to metro once.

As for day trip, we enjoyed Kawaguchiko, although you can only use JR pass for the first JR line section of the trip.

I don't really know the layout of Tokyo yet, but wouldn't traveling within the city be most convenient using the metro? What would I use the JR pass for there? A ticket to Mt. Takao seems to be cheaper than a ticket Osaka-Kyoto. Any suggestions besides Nagano that would make a good day trip from Tokyo using the JR pass?

- Himeji trip is now half-day, going there in the morning, then back to Osaka in early afternoon, get luggage and then on to Hakone. Should be ok time-wise? Stay in Hakone for a night and then onwards to Tokyo.

Well, depends on what you want. Get the most out of the JR Pass by taking long day-trips or space the day trips out so you don't get sick of travelling around on trains every day.

You'll want to spend at least a day or maybe even 1.5 days in Hakone as well. Do the Hakone round course for some nice sightseeing.

Mendrox

I've shuffled my chart around a bit based on the suggestions I got:
- Since I arrive at KIX early morning on the 29th, I could use the day for sightseeing in Osaka (keep luggage at train station) before going to my hotel in Kobe in the evening.
- Now 3 day trips to Kyoto from Osaka. Visiting Kyoto on a weekend is ok, right? Second day of Osaka sightseeing in between to prevent temple overload. :)

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8NIuPD2.png[/IMG]

I'm still not really sure about the best usage of the JR pass.

It's always full everywhere and weekends are of course worse, but if you tackle some things late evening like Inari Shrine then you wont see as many people, but it's still full everywhere. JR Pass is valid for all JR lines so you could travel for free in kyoto (for Inari e.g.) and in Tokyo easily.

I would recommend typing your routes into Hyperdia, see what you would pay for everything and then buy a JR Pass or not.

Also even three days Kyoto is not enough. I did see much in a week and used a bicycle, Bus and the train, but there was even more that I wanted to visit, but there is always another time. :p

Also you dont have to Reserve Tickets for JR, you can do that but it's no requirement. There is always a seat free in the trains without reservations, but it's a nice perk to have. I only did it thrice and two times I was required to do that for that Narita Express.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, thanks for all the input so far, guys. I'll have to think about everything and do some more research. I'll be back. :)

Dread to think what it must be like in the middle of summer, was roasting today.

Well, looks like Summer started early this year :p

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...unma-prefecture-city-almost-31-central-tokyo/

Temperatures surged across Japan on Sunday, hitting 35.3 degrees Celsius in Tatebayashi in Gunma Prefecture.

The reading in the city was marked shortly past 3 p.m., according to the Meteorological Agency. It is the first time this year that the temperature has reached 35 degrees or higher at any place in the country.

Also, it is the first time in three years that a reading of 35 degrees or higher has been recorded in May since the mercury hit 35.6 degrees in Hita, Oita Prefecture, on May 31, 2014.

Temperatures hit 34.2 degrees in the city of Fukushima, 34.0 degrees in Kumagaya, Saitama Prefecture, 33.8 degrees in Sano, in Tochigi Prefecture, and 33.7 degrees in Ueda in Nagano Prefecture.

The mercury reached 30.9 degrees in central Tokyo’s Kitanomaru Park, topping 30 degrees for the first time this year.

Among major cities, Nagoya and Kyoto saw readings of 31.3 degrees and 32.2 degrees, respectively.

danowat

Banned
We ended our sightseeing early today, a combination of the heat, and walking over 100 miles in the last two weeks means we are knackered!.

Last full day tomorrow, Miyajima, then a day back to Tokyo on Weds and flying home Thurs.

It's been fantastic.

daegan

I just want to pop in as my trip will take me back to Tokyo soon and note that the airbnb I've stayed at in Osaka is amazing and amazingly located. If you are staying here a few days or more, consider it:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17289781

Walking distance from Shinsaibashi and Dotonbori, a couple bars on the street, cool balcony to chill out and drink on, crazy brand streets on the big streets but awesome boutiques and vintage stuff just around the corner literally. Absolutely phenomenal and a steal. And the place is nice too.

Kinda wish we were just staying here til going home but oh well :)

Going back home tomorrow and I'm highly satisfied with how my trip turned out. This thread has been a great help, and I really appreciate it.

I definitely overestimated the amount of spots in Kyoto that I could visit per day because the transport is not as efficient as Tokyo, the crowds are even more difficult, and the heat was enervating. Sanjusangendo is my personal highlight though; the pictures don't do it justice.

I bought snacks from Don Quixote and used my passport to cut the tax. The lady packed it in such a way that it wouldn't fit my luggage, so I opened the bag w the red tape (didn't get to read the notice bc it was dark) to cram the candies and snacks to fit in. How bad of a goof is it? Are they gonna check every item on the receipt?

I bought snacks from Don Quixote and used my passport to cut the tax. The lady packed it in such a way that it wouldn't fit my luggage, so I opened the bag w the red tape (didn't get to read the notice bc it was dark) to cram the candies and snacks to fit in. How bad of a goof is it? Are they gonna check every item on the receipt?

Usually they don't bother at all to do any checking. One time they didn't even bother ripping out the note stapled to the passport when I went through customs :p

Raw64life

Spent first 2 days in Nambe and Osaka castle area. First impression: where the hell is garbage can and that's a lot of walking.

One of the only things I didn't like about my first Japan experience last year was walking around for an eternity looking for something to throw my trash in.

daegan

One of the only things I didn't like about my first Japan experience last year was walking around for an eternity looking for something to throw my trash in.

The key is to carry a plastic bag in your backpack /djkhaled

We were outdoors in Kyoto yesterday and it was almost 90. I was tossing 3 or 4 empty water bottles every 2 hours.

I have a big fat mess of 1s, 5s, and 10 yen coins that I almost never use. It's a pain to sift through this mess just to find the 100 yens that I always use, and I haven't found a machine that converts these bills into more useable denominations. What do?

Ending up with a bunch of change sucks. The first time I was in Japan I was there for 6 weeks and learned real quick that I needed to use small coins as much as possible.

Sadly my roommate didn't, and as we were cleaning up the room, we gathered it up and there was about 8300 yen just in coins on his desk and floor.

Spent first 2 days in Nambe and Osaka castle area. First impression: where the hell is garbage can and that's a lot of walking.

There are very few public trash cans on the streets, practically none 99% of the time. Like others said you need to go to a convenience store to throw away trash. Many of them will have their trash outside or inside near the entrance. It's perfectly fine to just walk in toss your garbage and walk out. Just be sure to put it in the right bin!

Only times you will see trash cans in public here are for festivals or crowded events with many food stalls.

Also... take the train lol. Google maps has a pretty easy to understand use of the trains here.

I have a big fat mess of 1s, 5s, and 10 yen coins that I almost never use. It's a pain to sift through this mess just to find the 100 yens that I always use, and I haven't found a machine that converts these bills into more useable denominations. What do?

1st tip for all travelers. Pay exact change every time. Or pay the smaller part in change if possible. If your bill is 448 yen, and all you got is big bills and smaller coins, pay that in a bill but also throw in coins to get that 48 yen out of the way. You will end up with a mountain of coins if you don't. The various staffs are used to this everyone in Japan pays as much correct change as possible.

Also protip: Go to a grocery store/any other shop with automated cash registers/self serve. You can dump a lot of your change at these places when buying simple things. When I go grocery shopping I take a handful of extra change with me and just dump it all into the machine/give it to the person at the register since it is no extra work for them to count it. Then toss in a bill. End up with way less change lol.

Though be careful the machines have a limit on how much change they can hold and freak out with a loud alarm... don't think about it too hard as to why I know that hahaha.

Triteon

I'm pretty sure you can throw 10's and up into the suica/passmo machines at train stations and get it loaded onto your card. At least I remember doing that last year.

Triteon

Planning a trip to Japan with a bunch of cousins. staying 14 days.

Should we stay in a hotel or at a AirBNB?

I liked AirBNB In Tokyo, I stayed for 19 days at one place and by the end of it the place felt really homey.

I liked the ones I stayed at in Kyoto and Osaka a lot less. Don't get me wrong the places were both nice and the hosts were easy to contact but the buildings seemed to be completely AirBNB, like a cheap hotel vibe almost.

That being said I'm looking to go ATM the hotels seem so cheap around the time I'm looking that I think I'm just going to stay at decent hotels the whole time.

Not even 3 hours after landing in Canada and I'm already feeling a little sad and depressed. I have forgotten how shitty the convenience stores, vending machines, and trains are over here.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
I'm going to be going to Japan for the first time September/October and was wondering if any of you had any tips or advice.

I'll be arriving on the 16th September at Narita airport and heading straight up to Morioka to visit a friend there.

Then on the 18th I'll head down to Sendai where I'll stay for a couple of nights before heading to Tokyo on the 20th.

Finally on the 23rd I'll be joining this tour https://www.insidejapantours.com/japan-small-group-tour/i-tt/tokaido-trail/ (it spends time in Tokyo, Kamakura, Hakone, Kyoto before returning to Tokyo for the last night)

I've been speaking to the tour company and I'm going to have the JR Pass that comes with the tour extended so that it starts from the 19th, which leaves the trip from Tokyo Airport to Morioka, and from Morioka to Sendai not covered by it. Do any of you know the best way of getting tickets for this? Would I be best off just getting tickets at the station? Or is there a better way of doing it?

Secondly if anyone has any recommendations for things to do in Morioka (I assume I'll spend most the time hanging out with my friend, but I don't want to be completely useless if she has to do something), Sendai or my time in Tokyo before the tour starts I'd love to hear them.

I think I'm mostly interested in both history and the more geeky side of things (games, anime & manga), and since I'm going on my own I don't really have to worry about other peoples interests.

I've been speaking to the tour company and I'm going to have the JR Pass that comes with the tour extended so that it starts from the 19th, which leaves the trip from Tokyo Airport to Morioka, and from Morioka to Sendai not covered by it. Do any of you know the best way of getting tickets for this? Would I be best off just getting tickets at the station? Or is there a better way of doing it?

You should get the JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area) to get from Narita to Tokyo, Tokyo to Morioka and Morioka to Sendai:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_t/

It's cheaper than buying single tickets.

It would have also covered your trip from Sendai to Tokyo so you didn't have to extend your JR Pass... Should have asked here first :p

Mr Git

Not even 3 hours after landing in Canada and I'm already feeling a little sad and depressed. I have forgotten how shitty the convenience stores, vending machines, and trains are over here.

This is exactly how I felt landing back in the UK 2 weeks ago. The train ticket machine at Manchester airport wouldn't even accept my cash. The train then took 2 hours to travel 50 miles. Already planning the next visit.

^^ Yup with the EAST PASS Tohoku you can get the shinkansen as well <3.

Secondly if anyone has any recommendations for things to do in Morioka (I assume I'll spend most the time hanging out with my friend, but I don't want to be completely useless if she has to do something), Sendai or my time in Tokyo before the tour starts I'd love to hear them.

I think I'm mostly interested in both history and the more geeky side of things (games, anime & manga), and since I'm going on my own I don't really have to worry about other peoples interests.

Check out Nakano Broadway in Tokyo for geeky stuff. I really enjoyed exploring that place.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
You should get the JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area) to get from Narita to Tokyo, Tokyo to Morioka and Morioka to Sendai:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/eastpass_t/

It's cheaper than buying single tickets.

It would have also covered your trip from Sendai to Tokyo so you didn't have to extend your JR Pass... Should have asked here first :p

Thanks, I'll have to remember to check here if something like that comes up again.

Edit. And Nakano Broadway looks pretty cool. I'll add it to my list.

daegan

I liked AirBNB In Tokyo, I stayed for 19 days at one place and by the end of it the place felt really homey.

I liked the ones I stayed at in Kyoto and Osaka a lot less. Don't get me wrong the places were both nice and the hosts were easy to contact but the buildings seemed to be completely AirBNB, like a cheap hotel vibe almost.

That being said I'm looking to go ATM the hotels seem so cheap around the time I'm looking that I think I'm just going to stay at decent hotels the whole time.

Our first time we were based in Kyoto for four days and I really enjoyed our airbnb there, called The Moon Room. It's right by a subway station so easy to move around from (also right by an absolutely killer bakery.) the host is an American ex-pat and was super communicative and had an amazing list of recommendations.

I already talked about the Osaka one from this trip earlier in the thread. My two in Tokyo this trip have been ok, but I wouldn't strongly recommend them or anything.

havokex

How far out is: Itabashi-ku, T&#333;ky&#333;-to, Japan (looking at a possible Airbnb there)? When I look at the map of tokyo it seems kind of far. The description says 17mins by train to Shinjuku

How far out is: Itabashi-ku, T&#333;ky&#333;-to, Japan (looking at a possible Airbnb there)? When I look at the map of tokyo it seems kind of far. The description says 17mins by train to Shinjuku
It's one station out of ikebukuro which is near shinjuku and a hub in its own right but it should be cheaper to make up for not being near shibuya or anywhere trendy. The only time I bothered with ikebukuro was to go to the Toyota Amlux and one fime sunshine city which is a kind of mall.

It's one station out of ikebukuro which is near shinjuku and a hub in its own right but it should be cheaper to make up for not being near shibuya or anywhere trendy. The only time I bothered with ikebukuro was to go to the Toyota Amlux and one fime sunshine city which is a kind of mall.

Depending on where in Itabashi-ku it is it's between 3-25 minutes away from the Yamanote line though. Just because it's in Itabashi-ku doesn't mean it's anywhere near Itabashi Station :p

There's no actual address in the posting :(

The place looks pretty big though

http://abnb.me/EVmg/W8xRNR9lrD

It does say it's a 9 minute walk from Tobu-Nerima Station in the description. And it's 13-20 minutes by train to Ikebukuro Station on the Yamanote line from there depending on which one you get on. It looks decent enough, but it's newly opened and there's no reviews though...

The time to get to Shinjuku is wrong. It's more like 30 minutes.

havokex

It does say it's a 9 minute walk from Tobu-Nerima Station in the description. And it's 13-20 minutes by train to Ikebukuro Station on the Yamanote line from there depending on which one you get on. It looks decent enough, but it's newly opened and there's no reviews though...

The time to get to Shinjuku is wrong. It's more like 30 minutes.

Ya i did notice that there's no reviews, but the place looks pretty big

daegan

I would never book an AirBNB without reviews unless the host had reviews for other properties. Size is also not everything - personally I find location to be way more important especially in Tokyo.

Triteon

Anybody here interested in a Japan Travel GAF meetup on October 15th in Tokyo?

Id love to but that's outside by timeframe this year. I'm likely to be there 26 August 2017 to around 15 September 2017. Or there about. As I haven't bought tickets yet. My trip to Japan will depend if I get PAX west tickets this year. As that will blow my vacation budget.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Welp, looks like I'm confirmed to be arriving in Tokyo sometime in the second of week of June. I know it's the rainy season, but at least I might have a good reason to use this song for my inevitable travel video.

EDIT: While I'm at it, what are people's thoughts/advice on a day trip to Kamakura? A friend recommended it to me and it looks like a nice albeit less stellar substitute to Kyoto at least if I never manage to go there.

Welp, looks like I'm confirmed to be arriving in Tokyo sometime in the second of week of June. I know it's the rainy season, but at least I might have a good reason to use this song for my inevitable travel video.

EDIT: While I'm at it, what are people's thoughts/advice on a day trip to Kamakura? A friend recommended it to me and it looks like a nice albeit less stellar substitute to Kyoto at least if I never manage to go there.

Kamakura's a great day trip if you're into temples. Don't just do Daibutsu. Go up some of the side paths and see the woods. Also visit Hase-dera. It's more interesting and has a great view of the ocean.

danowat

Banned
Kamakura's a great day trip if you're into temples. Don't just do Daibutsu. Go up some of the side paths and see the woods. Also visit Hase-dera. It's more interesting and has a great view of the ocean.
+1.

Also make sure you walk up to Kencho-ji, I found it a very nice temple.

I'm planning a 20 day trip to Japan in July.
I'm looking at where to go and what to do.

So far I have it down by this:
Tokyo- 4 days
Hakone- 1 day
Kyoto- 3 days
Osaka- 3 days
Kobe- 1 day
Hiroshima - 2 days
Itsukushima - 1 day

Any recommendations on whether these are too many days in specific cities?
I'm also left with 4 extra days and not sure whether Okinawa is worth it or to cut my trip to 16 days.

Also is it possible to climb Mt. Fuji in a day? I didn't want to book a tour for it but even so most of the tours I see only go to the 5th station, not to the top.

Thanks!

Top Bottom