• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameblog outs CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS 2 in Amazon FR listing, now blacklisted by ATVI.

fernoca

What more to the story could there be? The only way that Acti looks clean in all this is if the blog made up the whole thing.
Could probably be a mix of things too.
For example, the PSM-tease that many assume is Medal of Honor 2, they reported it as "Call of Duty Black Ops 2 - Announcement Soon/Incoming" with a fake logo and everything.

Then there's today "leak" from Amazon.fr, which maybe if it was just "Amazon listed Black Ops 2 but then changed it to Call of Duty 9" would've been a no biggie; but said report also points to the "announcement soon" info (and then say that they're not sure because maybe it could be Medal of Honor 2).

They also said they were contacted by Activision; so who knows what was exchanged in those emails or call; or the tone of said exchanges.

Brera

Banned
There's a new CoD coming out this year? Megaton, no wonder they got blacklisted.

Acti need to get over themselves.

UberTag

Being blacklisted by a company that puts out what... 2-3 noteworthy games per year. One of which is always the same.
OH NO! How will we get our hits now?

fernoca

IGN just tweeted about it. I'm on my phone can't link :(.
Actually, IGN put the entire info... and thanked Gamespot for the info. :p

cpi6B.jpg

Wonder if they're testing water to see if there's any reaction from Activision.

Plasmid

What's the possibility of this turning into a PR shitstorm for activision in the sense of banning a reviewer over retailer mistakes?

Einbroch

Banned
Now don't pull it down, GS and IGN.

They can't blacklist you. You're the two biggest gaming websites out there right now. I know GAF doesn't really respect them or whatever, but TONS of people do. If Activision threatens them, :lol. Games that got 9 might get 8.5, front page stories might be pushed to other pages, and so on.

Don't back down. It's not like they interrogated someone or did something they shouldn't do. Amazon leaked it, they reported it. They didn't even use their position and insider information in any way.

We (Xboxygen) have also been contacted to pull off our news about it this morning (french time). We said no, and have been "pressured" (is it right in english?) too with somene telling us we could not have any access to future COD informations/events.

It's funny because french customers have received an email from Amazon talking about preordering Call of Duty Black Ops 2.
Be strong, brother

fernoca

What's the possibility of this turning into a PR shitstorm for activision in the sense of banning a reviewer over retailer mistakes?
Depends on how Activision responds (officially) to it.

It is kinda weird, because if publishers started banning websites and blacklisting them from leaks like that, even NeoGAF would've been black listed, along IGN and every other website; heck even Amazon and Gamestop since they're the ones that cause this leaks.

We (Xboxygen) have also been contacted to pull off our news about it this morning (french time). We said no, and have been "pressured" (is it right in english?) too with somene telling us we could not have any access to future COD informations/events.

It's funny because french customers have received an email from Amazon talking about preordering Call of Duty Black Ops 2.

I believe both you and gameblog without a shadow of doubt because something like this happened to the website I write for a couple of years ago. We were reporting the epic fails of Ubisoft and their DRM and the next day an Ubisoft Spain PR had contacted our editor asking us to STFU.

Ubi and Acti are assholes around here.

Orayn

I like the implication that there's anything to be spoiled about the identical yearly releases of the CoD series.

legacyzero

Banned
I'm all CODed out.

Passing on this one, unless it has significant change for the COD formula.

(which it probably wont.)

Depends on how Activision responds (officially) to it.

It is kinda weird, because if publishers started banning websites and blacklisting them from leaks like that, even NeoGAF would've been black listed

Actually, EviLore has bent over for the publishers before. The Mass Effect 3 Beta leak here on GAF should be evidence of that

Z3M0G

They are currently in a major marketing campaign for Elite... the last thing they want people to remember is that there is a new CoD game coming out later this year.

Why would they have given AMZN details enough to put a product page up if they didnt want sites to say it yet? Should have done like ubisoft, product page after saying the game is coming (AC3)

Glix

I think its awesome all these sites are running with it...

but...

It's not going to help Gameblog. These sites now need to run a separate story about what happened to gameblog and how this shit is so bad for the industry.

Why not? The issue in the OP was clearly the result of a C&D against Gameblog, the blacklisting only occured after they refused. The situations seem similar enough, except Gameblog refused while EviLore complied.

I don't think you can C&D someone posting a screenshot they made. This is different than posting leaks from the beta (which most likely was subject to NDA).

Why would they do that? So we can party all weekend?

Also, why does that Amazon.fr screen show "In Stock"?
Well that's where the whole rumor started, Amazon.fr screwed up.

Why not? The issue in the OP was clearly the result of a C&D against Gameblog, the blacklisting only occured after they refused. The situations seem similar enough, except Gameblog refused while EviLore complied.
Well I'm not 100% sure how the ME stuff went down but a C&D implies legal action is forthcoming; getting sued is different from getting blacklisted.

jwhit28

I think its awesome all these sites are running with it...

but...

It's not going to help Gameblog. These sites now need to run a separate story about what happened to gameblog and how this shit is so bad for the industry.

Game Informer IGN and Gamestop have all put what happened to gameblog in their articles about the leak.

Plasmid

When agreeing to Xbox betas you sign a NDA saying anything that's not publicly available is to be withheld to yourself and not any media outlets.

Whereas a screenshot of a retailer has no NDA associated with it, therefore a C&D is more is a gesture than a legally / contractually held demand

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You know, now that I think about it, these guys could end this publisher blacklisting stuff once and for all right now.

If the major sites pulled together after a blacklist, and all posted the news, instead of keeping their heads down and hoping for extra clicks two months down the road, the blacklist stuff would fall apart.

Because at a certain point, blacklisting multiple sites HURTS Activision more than anything, because they NEED THE COVERAGE.

Blacklisting can only work if the game news sites in question THINK THEY'RE THE ONLY ONES MISSING OUT. If Gamestop and IGN and whoever else report the story as well, is Activision going to blacklist ALL OF THEM? Nah, son.

The publishers still think they hold all the cards here, but they must have missed the memo. It's the information age, folks.

Whereas a screenshot of a retailer has no NDA associated with it, therefore a C&D is more is a gesture than a legally / contractually held demand
I don't think you can C&D someone who wasn't party to the NDA in the first place.

You can bet your money that Amazon (the retailer) was under an NDA when they put that webpage up in the first place, so this is just Activision threatening the messagers for Amazon's blunder. I am still drawing parallels to the ME fiasco, as NeoGAF was the messenger for people's NDA violations. Taking a screenshot for Amazon's violation in my mind is just as similar as posting a video of a player's violation.

But you can think what you want I suppose.

fernoca

You know, now that I think about it, these guys could end this publisher blacklisting stuff once and for all right now.

If the major sites pulled together after a blacklist, and all posted the news, instead of keeping their heads down and hoping for extra clicks two months down the road, the blacklist stuff would fall apart.

Because at a certain point, blacklisting multiple sites HURTS Activision more than anything, because they NEED THE COVERAGE.

Blacklisting can only work if the game news sites in question THINK THEY'RE THE ONLY ONES MISSING OUT. If Gamestop and IGN and whoever else report the story as well, is Activision going to blacklist ALL OF THEM? Nah, son.

The publishers still think they hold all the cards here, but they must have missed the memo. It's the information age, folks.
Could be.
At the same time, as noted; sometimes region-specific side of publishers do their own thing, separate from their main ones.
So, could be that this one quick way to act from Activision France side; while the US side (which is where most of the sites reposting the info are coming fro m and the ones been questioned) wasn't aware of any of this.

For example, Kotaku was one of the first sites (if not the first) to literally post the entire story and artwork from MW3 before release. Yet, Kotaku wasn't blacklisted or anything. Same way that the Iron Wolf fake site started appearing around, with the fake "Treyerch" logo, Activision just laughed at it. But again, all those were US centric and Activision US was teh one laughing at it. They even explained later how they countered that leak, by doing their own thing (info, media, etc.). So, this could be just a reaction from someone that worked and is related to Activision, but not a representation of Activision as a whole.

Unless the ones that blacklisted Gameblog were Activision US. :p

from what i understand of the whole situation we're not at the C&D part yet

Backflip

Just so you know, Gameblog wasn't even the first site to get the info. They got it from another French site (one of which that took it down) and wrote about it without citing their source (as usual).

Top Bottom