• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney cuts ties with PewDiePie after he posts antisemetic videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Lol at people saying he's a nazi/anti-semite.

He's still gonna make fat-ass stacks and have a hot as shit Italian girlfriend anyway.

What do either of those things have to do with one another?

Because his girlfriend is good looking and he's wealthy he can get away with anti-Semitic images?

Did you actually think that through?

Time Flashes

Neo Member
I don't see what the problem with this is. Whether you find it funny or not, it is clearly a joke. As for kids who watch Pewdiepie's videos, well, that's bad for their parents because his videos are not entirely appropriate for certain ages.

VariantX

He's still gonna make fat-ass stacks and have a hot as shit Italian girlfriend anyway.

Well you heard it here folks. As long as you make money, it's perfectly ok to say and do shitty things.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
He's made jokes at Trump's expense in the past, so I always assumed he was somewhere on the left side of the political spectrum.

I know lifelong conservatives in their 60s who make jokes at Trump's expense. Finding Trump ridiculous is not in any way limited to liberals.

Whompa02

Sadly business is business. It's obvious that it was a joke and I understand why they need to cut ties with him, but it's Disney, so you can't joke around with that stuff.

It's not particularly funny either, but I get the joke.

What a fucking stupid joke. I'm the least uptight person imaginable and I personally don't care but that doesn't stop the obvious fact that it was a bad fucking idea lol.

It's also not funny which is the real offense.

Slayven

Is it that hard to not be a piece of shit?

I guess you have tot urn to this shit when your talent runs out.

Man fucking up Disney money, Disney money be long as hell.

Humor is not a catch all excuse for behavior and actions.

Especially when you have impressionable kids watching you and emulating you.

"It's just a joke" is not an excuse.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d5LVjmrjm0

He was ordering shit off fiver (.com) and 'ordered' these guys to make a sign that said "Death to all Jews"

So obviously I'm getting a lot of flame for the post I made, but I made it simply because I think it's outrageous that people jump the gun all the way to "PDP is nazi scum shitbag".

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve what happened to him, especially when dealing with Disney, but come the fuck on guys.

Ya'll gonna watch that video and immediately jump to the conclusion that he's a nazi? Not to mention the "subscribe to keemstar" part, who is a real piece of garbage.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
How is ok for shows like South Park and Always Sunny to parody such topics but not an online entertainer such as PewDiePie?

I don't assume Matt and Trey are Nazis because of the shit Cartman does and the same goes for the Sunny cast. I don't even watch PewDiePie but it's a slippery slope to assume anyone who jokes about such topics support them.

After the course of events over the past year or so, I think you gotta be smarter about how you approach Nazi shit now.

And while I've watched very little of this guy's material, "smart" would be the last word I'd use to describe it.

Occam

Richard Spencer is a literal nazi dude.

There are literal nazis high up the power chain.
You can deny it all you want.

And it could be argued that one who uses nazi advisors and implements nazi policies is probably at least a quasi-nazi himself.

Maxinas

You just accurately described the majority of Trump's cabinet. Except the Italian girlfriend part.

Vinnk

Since August, PewDiePie has posted nine videos that include anti-Semitic jokes or Nazi imagery, according to a review of his channel by The Wall Street Journal.

Yeah, that's starting to sound a lots less like an innocent mistake and more like a theme.

People make mistakes, but nine times? When you work for Disney?

I as an adult don't really care. But I as a father of 3 don't want my kids to come up to me and ask "Why is killing the jews funny?". Not a conversation I want to have.

Randomizer

For example here is the Mitchell and Webb skit "Are we the baddies" skits where the characters are Nazi's.

Of course this sounds like a J/K bit, which is unlikely to be funny. But I would like to see it myself.
I assume the humour is the shock value that the two Indian guys would actually write and record the message in the first place. Saying 'Death to All Jews' isn't funny but getting someone who is unaware of the meaning to say or in this case write and display it, could be perceived as funny.

I don't see what the problem with this is. Whether you find it funny or not, it is clearly a joke. As for kids who watch Pewdiepie's videos, well, that's bad for their parents because his videos are not entirely appropriate for certain ages.

Death to all Muslims!

Its clearly a joke /s

There was the "both sides are bad" video he did.

Ethan, PhillyD, Boogie, and GradeAUnderA all came out with videos like that, and they all left my subscription list. I can admit I found their videos [very] entertaining at times but I couldn't listen to them after they hit me with that crap.

Now back to PewD he really has an obsession with Nazi themes for his videos. Like I mentioned before I am a fan of his darker humor but he has crossed the line with this video after already testing his limits in prior videos.

I'm surprised to hear that he is banned from Twitter now.

Guess Who

Banned

Yup. PewDiePie's audience is full of 10-13 year old kids. Saying "fuck" is one thing - ultimately harmless. This kind of shit? Completely unacceptable.

Not to mention that actual Nazis love, love to hide behind that "it's just a joke!" bullshit.

DigtialT

I expected something to happen after this video came out and his follow ups. Lately PewDiePie has been trying to be a diet Filthy Frank or idubbbz, but you can't just switch up your styles like that and not expect some blowback.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
WSJ video report about this article showing clips of the videos mentioned in the article: http://www.wsj.com/video/disney-cut...pie/AF3B6886-3245-4C48-AD5D-098F1E1ABEA9.html

NKAiv8r.jpg
P8YPdJE.jpg
FWILAZv.jpg
1rs9tqi.jpg
p5ZnJWA.jpg

nynt9

I think the jokes are very bad and he deserves to lose his partnership over this. I also think that he's clearly being ironic and edgy and isn't actually a nazi, but given how visible he is it's an extremely poor choice of actions to do what he does, but he doesn't give a shit.He's too detached from reality to empathize with the consequences of his jokes. It's just shock value to him, he doesn't get it.

Not saying this to excuse him at all.

edit:

p5ZnJWA.jpg

That one, was him showing videos of things people created in his game. He was saying "please don't do this" when showing that image. It's disingenuous to mention that one. The rest is legit though.

Aselith

So obviously I'm getting a lot of flame for the post I made, but I made it simply because I think it's outrageous that people jump the gun all the way to "PDP is nazi scum shitbag".

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve what happened to him, especially when dealing with Disney, but come the fuck on guys.

Ya'll gonna watch that video and immediately jump to the conclusion that he's a nazi? Not to mention the "subscribe to keemstar" part, who is a real piece of garbage.

Explain how that relates to using he has money and a hot girlfriend as an excuse?

foltzie1

I already linked to the video on the last page.
So you did, thank you sir.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d5LVjmrjm0

He was ordering shit off fiver (.com) and 'ordered' these guys to make a sign that said "Death to all Jews"

Sigh, you can't act surprised when an act occurs that you literally requested.
I mean, the point of that whole sketch is how comically and cartoonishly evil the Nazis were.

This is none of those things. It's some privileges guy paying some people in a third world country five bucks to put something bigoted they don't understand on a sign and dance with it for yucks.

Indeed.

I assume the humour is the shock value that the two Indian guys would actually write and record the message in the first place. Saying 'Death to All Jews' isn't funny but getting someone who is unaware of the meaning to say or in this case write and display it, could be perceived as funny.

It certainly wasn't.

I think the jokes are very bad and he deserves to lose his partnership over this. I also think that he's clearly being ironic and edgy and isn't actually a nazi, but given how visible he is it's an extremely poor choice of actions to do what he does, but he doesn't give a shit.He's too detached from reality to empathize with the consequences of his jokes. It's just shock value to him, he doesn't get it.

I don't think he's a Nazi either. I agree he's probably just been in the bubble his game created for him for so long he didn't see the forest for the trees.

But yeah, he should know better. He's 27 years old.

edit:

p5ZnJWA.jpg

That one, was him showing videos of things people created in his game. He was saying "please don't do this" when showing that image. It's disingenuous to mention that one. The rest is legit though.

Did you see the text put on that image by SPLC

Millions of people have watched a Jan. 11 video by YouTube’s biggest star that included two men laughing as they held a banner that read, “Death to all Jews.”

And it took over a month for anyone to realize that was unacceptable?

Holy fuck. You can tell right when they reveal the message he knew he fucked up.

Then why upload and publish the video?

That's the thing the bothers me the most, if he wants to apologize and say he didn't think they would do it then explain why you had to make the video instead of just referencing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom