• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm not gonna lie, I really loved Dragonball GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What GT did well was that the writing seemed pretty advanced for Dragonball. Usually, it's bad guy is evil for the sake of it but with no rhyme or reason. Freiza gets a pass because he's just a tyrant. Vegeta because he was raised to be ruthless thanks to Frieza. Cell and Buu just want to blow things up because their creators were both grudge holding psychopaths?

The first half ot the series was old school Dragonball (sorely overlooked IMO), with a side of help-a-specific-planet-with-it's-issues-while-we're-here kind of thing. Baby, while being recycled plotline from the Playdia OVAs it showed a villain with a grudge, but it was justified... maybe a bit too extreme because Baby could of saw what Saiyans could be with Goku and Gohan but at least there was a reason. Plus parasites? So they borrowed the Garlic Jr Saga bit but it gave us some short sweet fights like Vegeta vs Gohan. My big gripe is how utterly useless Piccolo was. He gets one good moment in and that's it, almost like they wanted to kill him off.

Super 17 while interesting concept, bringing back 17 and making him a bad guy most of it didn't make sense. How does two dead scientists create an android... perhaps I'm overthinking that. Everyone gets jobbed, hard. Even Uub, someone who should put up a better fight than Vegeta. There was some character development, but it's hardly noticable. This was more fanservice bringing back villains who more or less were there to keep Goku and co occupied. Goku was fighting very dumb in this.

Now the evil dragon saga made sense, consequences with overusing dragonballs. Balance of power. Each dragon had it's unique personality, I liked the four star guy the best. Then Syn, (or Ili or whatever I don't care) shows up an literally fuses with all the dragons (balls, lol) and just wrecks even Goku. Vegeta's SS4 was pretty short lived and I cringed at Gogeta since he acted more like Gotenks... and I honestly can't stand Gotenks.

Ending... sucked. Goku ethereal now or what? Either way, GT to me was hit or miss but it isn't as bad as most people say. Super could at least TRY to make things interesting. At least we're getting an "evil Kai" story but it feels like mashups of everything Toriyama has done before. I sort of want Goku and whomever to travel to other universes and fight villains there. They had the right idea with the purple copy guys but instead we just get a clone of Vegeta.

LeleSocho

Banned
The ideas were there but the execution turned out very meh...

...still better than the abomination that is Super though.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
...still better than the abomination that is Super though.

I only started watching Super towards the end of the tournament but from what I've seen, that show is modernized enough in its writing to be better than the entire franchise prior.

Binging GT on the Funimation App was like "meh, it's more dragonball". Where as Super is a show I look forward to watching each week.

I watched it for the first time this year and was gonna post that the only thing I really liked about it was the intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0xvYlZM49Q

But when I looked up "dragon ball gt english intro" this was the first result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCa4LaDFqJU

lmao No wonder I skipped it back in the day. Should've had the people doing the Toonami promos do the intro if you're gonna go that route.

And now for the Canadian dub intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPDP3S4dYcY

Eh, I wasn't a fan of the show.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Funimation's score of GT is so horrific. I don't think I've seen anyone say they like it, even people that enjoyed Falconer's score of Z

aUx7uez.gif

😢

Sony

Nintendo
GT>Super.

I love that the main criticism of GT was that powerlevels were all over the place, yet we have fanfiction level BS in Super.

I wanted to watch GT so badly. It was never on Cartoon Network where I was at least when I was a teenager and I would try to find it online and never could, it made me sad.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
yeah no, like really... no.

The show has had a genuine mystery, more than one dimensional story telling, scenes dedicated to character development, fights that don't last 2+ episodes, ridiculous humor and great callbacks to the series. It's entertaining and outside of me buying VHS imports back in the day of a Broly movie as well as JCVD and a college film course, it is the only thing I've seen with subtitles willingly.

I still maintain my belief that the Frieza saga is my favorite, but if I saw that for the first time now, I'd probably tune out during the multi-episode end fight.

Beth Cyra

GT is not amazing but I like elements alot.

Gohan is finally good to me in it, his reaction to his best friends death is the best moment in Dragon Ball.

I adore SSJ4.

The blue gi is a million times better then orange.

I wanted to love Super but the dumb choices with SSG and SSB not to mention the holy shit stupid latest transformation for a character I don't believe deserves it was the last straw and I've dropped it and desire to watch any more of it.

So for me the positive elements of GT make it my preferred follow up to Z.

120v

i just didn't understand what they were trying to do with GT... at first it seemed to be a callback to oldschool DB... but IN SPACE. and i thought okay cool but then it just meandered into a bunch of story arcs that seemed cribbed from Toriyama's rejection pile from the DBZ days. there was a wealth of material there but it just went nowhere, felt very paint by the numbers with a few cool moments here and there

the thing wrapped up fairly quickly either way. so it's not too hard to disregard

-sdp

I like GT, I actually remember being a little kid and going to Karate class and listening to some of the older kids talking about GT from scans/summaries as it was airing, I think at that time I hadn't even seen DBZ but just the original but I knew about DBZ. Coming off of DBZ I can see why it would be seen as a disappointment and the changes/what has happened since we left our heroes is definitely something that can disappoint fans including me but if you can overlook that you get a nice show. I like some of the new villains I like the return to "adventure" style from the original Dragon Ball and making the title Dragon Ball relevant again and I also enjoyed the later DBZ style which while it was done for ratings it also mixes and completes the circle of DB/DBZ in one series. I thought it did the whole power escalation nicely/better than Battle of the Gods but I'm also a fan of the ending.

I haven't watched DBS but it feels like a sequel to DBZ two decades later and that's not what is needed, I mean I'm sure I'll watch it once it's all done and I'll enjoy it and be able to judge it then but as of now I just can't see how more DBZ would be better.

dluu13

Yup opening song was good.

I watched the whole thing in canto dub off vhs as a kid and I enjoyed it. Looking at it now though, I prefer the way the old Dragon ball and z looked.
That being said, recently, I've only looked at screenshots rather than watching the show.

TaterTots

Banned
I couldn't get into GT to save my life, but I'm digging Super for some reason. Gives off a slightly similar vibe DBZ gave off, which was completely lacking with GT imo. People seem to hate Supers animation, but its not bad at all.

KraytarJ

Even as a dumb kid I thought it was fuckin dumb. It's like they decided to retrod the material of the OG Dragon Ball but with a worse crew around Goku and also make Goku even less interesting, and then there's the power creep that was definitely becoming a problem by the end of DBZ just got worse but unlike the Buu saga, nothing good was involved in GT to save it. Even though I haven't seen Super or any of the other recent stuff I'm glad to know that it exists and GT has been redacted.

Pizza

OP I've always loved what I've heard about gt, even when someone is criticizing it.

I've started the series since dragonball and I'm literally watching the first goku v cell fight right now lol I'm watching all the movies too and I'm super excited for gt, I like the premise and your post has me pumped to plow through the rest of Z. I've sploiled next to nothing from gt minus stuff that's hard to avoid like the new forms and baby and shenron, but I want to watch the whole thing real bad

I don't like GT overall, but I 100% respect SSJ4 (and SSJ4 Gogeta). Those are legit amazing transformation that fits so well into everything that I'm shocked it didn't come from Toriyama himself. I'm actually hoping they return in Super somehow, 'cause I don't want them to go away.

For me, DBGT suffers a lot from weak storylines compared to the others. If you look at Super, even though the first two arcs are from movies, they're powerful, memorable, and discrete; it's the sort of thing I expect from Dragonball. Meanwhile in GT, the only arc I remember at all is Bebi's and fragments of the evil Shenron one, with the rest blending into one.

Like, GT has its place; it's weaker than the other series, but it shouldn't be forgotten.

OP I've always loved what I've heard about gt, even when someone is criticizing it.

I've started the series since dragonball and I'm literally watching the first goku v cell fight right now lol I'm watching all the movies too and I'm super excited for gt, I like the premise and your post has me pumped to plow through the rest of Z. I've sploiled next to nothing from gt minus stuff that's hard to avoid like the new forms and baby and shenron, but I want to watch the whole thing real bad

That's awesome man. Watching all the movies first definitely make GT interesting. It recognizes some of the movies as canon, which is strange, but cool to spot.

SSJ4 would have been a million times better had they stuck to the SSJ1-3 gold color scheme instead of going to a pink/black mix with guy-liner. As it exists it looks so out of place and unnatural compared to the previous forms and screams of "look at me I'm trying do hard to be unique"

I kind of like that the characters didn't turn into magical aryans.

Pizza

That's awesome man. Watching all the movies first definitely make GT interesting. It recognizes some of the movies as canon, which is strange, but cool to spot.

Oh shit I'm about to lose my mind then, I actually loved the garlic jr saga for all the small callbacks to the first three movies!

Dragon_Ball_GT_logo.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJcuDgVYjgI

*Also, I want to say, I recommend never watching the Funimation Dub. It's TRASH. I promise you will like it a little better if you watch the original Japanese.

I cannot talk about the English dub since I got all my Dragonball from the legendarily amazing Latin Spanish dub but I can tell you guys one thing: I don't care some of you might have nostalgia goggles from it but the botched and bastardized DBGT intro that Funimation did is a disgrace. DBGT may be subpar but it has the best opening in the entire DB in general. "Get into the Grand Tour" was totally different in tone and threw away the amazing animation of the original opening. Pathetic.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It was lame to me, it was just good to see more DragonBall stuff. Enemy designs were really cool though.
Ah yes, like this brilliant tardigrade robot

APU1n9u.jpg

Ahasverus

One strong aspect it had was art direction. Everything looked great, great designs, great enemies, great landscapes, very dark moments (I remember the Baby saga looking helpless). It was great looking for its time, and some would say it's better than Super.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom