• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Common phrases that annoy you

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind it when others use it, but I don't like to say "I have no Idea" unless I can guarantee that it is a literal an accurate statement (Nevertheless, If I can guarantee that the statement is accurate, then almost always it is inherently not true anymore)

Einhander

Those phrases are insults-by-implication to bypass moderation on a well-policed website that rightfully frowns on attacking others.

Those phrases have reached meme status. It's merely laziness to articulate what you want to express in your own words, instead of what's regurgitated repeatedly. Nothing to be proud of.

Why say disgusting and gross? Its like saying someone is intelligent and smart. Its so redundant.

Because I'm the child of Satan, and I live to annoy others.

Most phrases get picked up on from others who repeat them. It just gets stuck with me.

For example:

"I could care less"

It's a terrible phrase. In order to be able to care less, you need to care at least some tiny amount. Stop using it to mean you don't care!

Try saying "I couldn't care less".

Another thing I say a lot. Even when I know it's not correct whatsoever, it's branded into my mind because of a friend who constantly says it incorrectly.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I take full responsibility - no you don't, they are just empty words from you. Your child knocked over all the boxes on isle three, go pick them up and pay for anything damaged if you want to take responsibility.

jadedm17

"no offense but"

drake-hotline-bling-jacket-moncler.png

"This next line is gonna be really offensive"
(-Bo Burham? Or was that Demetri Martin?)

burgervan

Pretty much anything that becomes trendy among bloggers, journalists, Podcasters, etc.

Currently, it's "____ adjacent"

Or "there's a lot to unpack in this episode."

____

Nip it in the butt.

My homegirl used this extensively. Tried to correct her but she was sure she was right.

"Home apache server"

Ask literally any computer science major how their home apache server is doing and they will go on and on and on about it. It's all that they know to talk about.

Just to entertain the thread, I'll say ''Overrated'' annoys me a lot.

Let's be honest, you're not just disliking something. You look down on people who like something you don't like. By saying a game, for instance, is overrated, you look down on people who likes the game and doesn't share your negative opinion.

"have a good one"

wtf does that mean? have a good one? a good what? it's like a lazy way to say have a good day or good night without specifying

This one was actually really useful when I worked night shifts in fast food, and it was unclear whether we should say "have a good day/night" because it was technically both.

Red Devil

I occasionally hear people saying something among the lines of "I totally disagree, but I respect your opinion", gee thanks, not like I was seeking for your validation anyway or is that a subtle way to say "unfortunately dumbasses are entitled to an opinion too".

"If that makes sense"/ "If that makes any sense" after someone makes a statement that is clearly not difficult to comprehend annoys the living shit out of me. I just want to say "no, that makes no sense" and walk away.

Trance

"Kk" in place of "ok". "K" is unambiguously agreed upon to be dismissive or callous (unless accompanied by a positive emoji). I always read "kk" as an annoyed "okay okay", like I'm rushing the person and they can't wait to be rid of me.

I don't think anyone ever means it that way, but that's how I involuntarily read it. Every time I get a "kk" I have to calmly go back and re-read it as a neutral "ok".

whilst

I don't know how or why, but all of a sudden that word entered common consciousness and exploded recently, like "literally" did awhile ago.

It makes you sound like that kid in middle school who wrote his essays with a thesaurus open.

"Kk" in place of "ok". "K" is unambiguously agreed upon to be dismissive or callous (unless accompanied by a positive emoji). I always read "kk" as an annoyed "okay okay", like I'm rushing the person and they can't wait to be rid of me.

I don't think anyone ever means it that way, but that's how I involuntarily read it. Every time I get a "kk" I have to calmly go back and re-read it as a neutral "ok".

Funny. I read "ok" much the same as "k". "kk" is my pillow-soft response.

NekoFever

"A thing"

Is that a thing?
When did x become a thing?
X shouldn't be a thing
X has always been a thing

Objects and concepts aren’t invented, discovered, released, popularised, introduced, established, inaugurated, or don't happen or exist any more. They become a thing.

Ridiculously overused in so many contexts, particularly by young people, and just came out of nowhere about three years ago and took over like half of everyone's vocabulary.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
If you have ever started a thread with either of these titles, then I hate you:

'GAF, we really need to talk about.......' Do we? Do we really need to talk about it?

'Am I the only that thinks that........' No you are not, and you know that. There are plenty of people that will agree with your slightly controversial opinion.

milanbaros

Member?
whilst

I don't know how or why, but all of a sudden that word entered common consciousness and exploded recently, like "literally" did awhile ago.

It makes you sound like that kid in middle school who wrote his essays with a thesaurus open.

Funny. I read "ok" much the same as "k". "kk" is my pillow-soft response.

Whilst has always been common in the UK. Could it be you are reading more British writing?

This one was actually really useful when I worked night shifts in fast food, and it was unclear whether we should say "have a good day/night" because it was technically both.

This is why I end every call with "have a good" *click* ... when I'm working third shift on helpdesk.

I literally hate when people say literally over and over. The misuse is annoying, but the frequency of hearing it is what really gets to me. Literally.

"its common sense"

No its not, if it was we wouldn't need to remind each other of it all the fucking time.

I get told this all the time. Common sense to fucking who? At some point, you gotta learn it in order for it to be a part of your "sense". So excuse me for not having done that prior to whatever brought about this issue.

Also, "what's your philosophy?" What is this question even asking?

And not so much a phrase, nor does it annoy me, but it always sticks out when someone says "conversate" or "conversating".

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I literally hate when people say literally over and over. The misuse is annoying, but the frequency of hearing it is what really gets to me. Literally.

What's more annoying is that IIRC one of the major dictionaries has changed it's definition to also mean 'figuratively'.

DiscoJer

Correlation does not mean causation.

I mean, yeah, but at the same time, there frequently is a link. It's one of the first steps in solving a problem.

"Could I have a_____?"
Dude, you're ordering.

Sometimes they are out of what you want.

American: I could care less
English: I couldn't care less

Why say you COULD care less.... that indicates that you care to some degree.

I couldn't care less means you care for it the least possible.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
As a Sr Recruiter, "cultural fit" is a very apt phrase when considering if a certain personality is going to fit within a company's current cultural atmosphere that at the moment is operating smoothly, and they don't want to waste resources with anybody that may potentially disrupt it if they can identify it beforehand.
Can you describe what makes up the ' cultural atmosphere' of a company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom