• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Phantom Pain, aka Metal Gear Solid V, Announced (360/PS3, "Moby Dick Studio")

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I liked Twin Snakes plenty, even if I also recognise the silliness and poor design decisions (MGS2 mechanics built into MGS design breaks the game).

But I also thought MGS2 was fucking awful, as with MGS4, and only consider the first and third games worth playing.

Ran rp

MGS4 was my first Metal Gear. I remember reading up on the entire history on Wiki's before the game came out, and I had a blast with it. But it being my first Metal Gear and having played it about 4-5 years ago I barely remember what happened. I remember some of the set pieces but most of the story is lost to me, so I can't wait to play it again now that I've played through MGS1-3 and some of MG1-2.

I just need Peace Walker so I'll be up to date for GZ/MGSV.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The game itself yes I'm sure, but I'm afraid I won't like how BB looks in HD.
I mean

Big-Boss-Salute-688x230.jpg

1098110-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

The SD version looks so much better

They're both identical. I've no idea how you came to the conclusion that an off-screen shot was from the original game.

Screenshot from MGS3:

KTOJT.jpg

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
They better release the trailer today in glorious HD or i'll burn down their office
in sweden.

Kojima would have put that kind of thing in the original if the PS1 could have supported it.

Kojima directs better action than that hack Kitamura. Or whoever it is that directs the action scenes in Metal Gear, if it isn't Kojima. The action scenes in TTS are garbage, badly choreographed with characters jumping and following unreasonable trajectories, full of obnoxious slow motion that does nothing but draw attention to the dumb things they're doing. There's no momentum to any of it, no sense of speed and fluidity that you get when a director really has an eye for it. The CQC fights in MGS3 and 4, and especially the Ninja Raiden/Vamp fights are leagues better than anything in TTS.

eso76

They're both identical. I've no idea how you came to the conclusion that an off-screen shot was from the original game.

Screenshot from MGS3:

So that's offscreen .
See ? My memory is hazy, and I remember mgs3 to look like that off screen sshot.
That's why I am not sure I want to discover that it really wasn't :p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So that's offscreen .
See ? My memory is hazy, and I remember mgs3 to look like that off screen sshot.
That's why I am not sure I want to discover that it really wasn't :p

If you haven't already, definitely try MGS HD Collection .. as someone already said, MGS3 at 720p solid 60 is an AMAZING sight to behold. Holds up almost neck and neck with high profile current gen games.

eso76

If you haven't already, definitely try MGS HD Collection .. as someone already said, MGS3 at 720p solid 60 is an AMAZING sight to behold. Holds up almost neck and neck with high profile current gen games.

Mgs3 is among my 'best games ever', I would love to play it again, but I'm sure I idealised it in all these years, I'm afraid it won't hold up with my memories.
But fuck it, everyone seems to love it so I'll buy it later today.
X360 version good ?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But fuck it, everyone seems to love it so I'll buy it later today.
X360 version good ?

The 360 version is actually very marginally better according to Digital Foundry, you'll just need to get the feel of playing MGS3 on the 360 controller, which may take a few minutes.

Otherwise it's a flawless experience. The frame rate never drops, and you can make cut scenes completely full screen now (i-e you can remove the black bars) optionally. Plus having MGS 2 and Peace Walker in HD in the same package is just icing on the cake.

So the corrected accents (Naomi's was corrected as well) and eye fix comfort you at a canonical level but Snake shooting a Stinger missile in mid-air and this

tumblr_m8xmrjMFdz1r5jo3oo1_250.gif

don't bother you? Because in MGS2 Solid Snake does not operate at that level lol and it's only 2 years afterwards. Closest thing is him slightly dodging Olga's bullet, but that shot was meant more to show the bullet itself almost hitting Snake, not Snake dodging.

The original is the purest one I tell you.

I'm not sure why I should care about "purity" since I don't care about the plots one iota. I can enjoy each story individually for what it might offer, but overall it's convoluted, translated garbage. Naomi's accent change isn't better in TS because it's "more realistic", it's better because it's not irritating. The eye change is a minor thing I thought of, and has no significant impact, but I did think it was a better decision, even though Kojima obviously thinks that Solid has blue eyes since that's what all Snakes since then have had.

Snake's ridiculous kung fu shit does not bother me, because it takes place in the same game as a ludicrous cyborg ninja that screams to HURT ME MORE, fucking Psycho mantis, a minigun wielding native American caricature, and a giant robot which I am destroying with an AA rocket launcher that should have minimal penetrative capability, which I am storing in my pants along with 15 other weapons. NO, I am not bothered in the least by any of this stuff, because it's not even trying to be realistic or plausible. The plot of the game is that a group of supernatural special ops soldiers brainwashed gene-therapy soldiers into capturing a nuclear warhead dismantlement facility which is secretly developing a giant robot with a railgun that fires nuclear warheads. Why is it a robot? Nobody knows really, the stealth railgun is the only thing that actually matters there. Jesus dude, I don't know why this bothered anybody at all, other than "it's not in the original so it sucks".

AwShucks

I liked Twin Snakes plenty, even if I also recognise the silliness and poor design decisions (MGS2 mechanics built into MGS design breaks the game).

But I also thought MGS2 was fucking awful, as with MGS4, and only consider the first and third games worth playing.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but your opinion is wrong :)

Being a jerk aside, I've recently replayed MGS2 and MGS4 and found them both immensely enjoyable. MGS2 suffers from a poorly paced ending, but is mostly well done. The tanker sequence is obviously fantastic. MGS4 is just non stop wtf awesomeness that makes no sense and doesn't have to because it's basically fan service. Oh, and it also suffers from a horribly paced ending few hours.

TUROK

Twin Snakes is better than the original. All day, e'ry day. I like the original. But the GC version is definitely superior.

Better graphics. Better voices. More fun cut scenes. Better controls.
Aside from Naomi's voice acting, I agree.

Also, new Grey Fox voice > old Grey Fox voice.

Arozay

I agree with this. But I still want to see how this trainwreck turns out.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really liked the trailer. But damn that title sounds like something a first year film student would come up with.

You have no idea what phantom pain is, do you?

Snake's ridiculous kung fu shit does not bother me, because it takes place in the same game as a ludicrous cyborg ninja that screams to HURT ME MORE, fucking Psycho mantis, a minigun wielding native American caricature, and a giant robot which I am destroying with an AA rocket launcher that should have minimal penetrative capability, which I am storing in my pants along with 15 other weapons. NO, I am not bothered in the least by any of this stuff, because it's not even trying to be realistic or plausible.

Snake missile surfing doesn't sense even within MGS's universe, it's blatantly stupid. He's always been shown to rely on smarts, experience and training to beat all of these freaks around him. To put him on the same level with the cyborg ninjas and bee-manipulating freaks is to misunderstand the character and what makes him so fun to root for and play as. He can't do that shit in game and he doesn't do it in the cutscenes of the games that follow Twin Snakes.

Big Boss doesn't wall-run up a tree to spin kick The Fear in the face, he uses misdirection (poisoned food), technology (infra red, detection equipment) and the environment around him (traps, cover behind trees, watching for movement in the foliage) etc). It would be fucking stupid if he could do what his enemies do.

Snake missile surfing doesn't sense even within MGS's universe, it's blatantly stupid. He's always been shown to rely on smarts, experience and training to beat all of these freaks around him. To put him on the same level with the cyborg ninjas and bee-manipulating freaks is to misunderstand the character and what makes him so fun to root for and play as. He can't do that shit in game and he doesn't do it in the cutscenes of the games that follow Twin Snakes.

Well, I could have sworn I really liked Twin Snakes and wasn't bothered by any of this, but I guess I must have been mistaken. Please continue to tell me about why it's a betrayal of Snake's character to have him doing lolworthy kungfu in a cutscene.

Well, I could have sworn I really liked Twin Snakes and wasn't bothered by any of this, but I guess I must have been mistaken. Please continue to tell me about why it's a betrayal of Snake's character to have him doing lolworthy kungfu in a cutscene.

That's great, but don't act all shocked and surprised when somenbody has a different view on the important dynamics and logic of a series. You can enjoy whatever you want but in the anti-TS camp it's hardly some kind of mindless "it's different so it sucks" kind of elitism crap you're eluding to. You're smarter than that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Despite your sarcasm, it actually is a betrayal of Snake's character. He's an anime version of a down-to-earth special agent... the Matrix-like acrobatics of characters like the robot Ninja or later Raiden are supposed to be exceptional, not routine. Snake doesn't do similar actions in MGS2-4 either.

Maybe you don't care... and that's fine. MGS is silly. Twin Snakes is an okay experience. But if we're getting nerdy, it is quite wrong for the framework of the universe and Snake's character/capabilities.

(and Kojima has referenced the original PS1 game in his works since it came out)

I always liked the line of thinking that said Twin Snakes was someone telling an embellished version of the original story.

rakhir

so what is "moby Dick Studio" an anagram for..? "Bodysuit Mock ID".:?
It just means that Kojima is like Captain Ahab and will die pursuing the Greatest MGS Ever and will destroy everything to get that done (it will sink Konami?).
I guess.

BocoDragon

I didn't visit gaming side for a few days and wtf has happened here?

-Random game shown from an unknown studio

-turns out it is laden with clues (facts) that it is an MGS game

-someone mentions Twin Snakes

-nerds battling it out in the gutter.

eso76

The 360 version is actually very marginally better according to Digital Foundry, you'll just need to get the feel of playing MGS3 on the 360 controller, which may take a few minutes.

Otherwise it's a flawless experience. The frame rate never drops, and you can make cut scenes completely full screen now (i-e you can remove the black bars) optionally. Plus having MGS 2 and Peace Walker in HD in the same package is just icing on the cake.

unfortunately, peace walker (which i still haven't played) doesn't come in the same package here.
It's MGS2+3 for 25€ and PW for 15€

MormaPope

Banned
I must say the problems I have with the Twin Snakes are similar to other people's problems. The original MGS has a very gritty, science fiction noir feel to it. At the time the atmosphere and mood was extremely unique, there are moments where things are extremely odd and peculiar, but the MGS universe is pretty simple and believable in of itself up until MGS4 and Peace Walker.

Twin Snake's mood and atmosphere feel drastically different due to a lot of things, the cutscenes being a huge part of that. If I had to compare the two, the original MGS feels like a weird hybrid of Bladerunner and a David Lynch film. While Twin Snakes feels like The Matrix with less David Lynch qualities.

I'd say the preference someone has with either is more complicated than "The original came first, so it's better".

raven777

watched higher quality trailer.

It defineatly is worse than GZ trailer in terms of graphic, so I assume this is running on PS360 , not like GZ which was running on PC.

I really love the look of FOX engine...like the lighting and stuff.

People theorized it was somewhere in Africa.

Hmm, looking at Google Maps I can't seem to find a country in Africa that fits the shape.

Anyone else want to give it a shot?

CGtTN.png

EDIT: Another thing I noticed was the speedometer in the truck:

PsR2t.png

So we're definitely in the 70s.

This is why Twin Snakes is a terrible game. I can ignore the dumbcutscenes , the weak new soundtrack and some of the iffy art (oh god, Otacon) but the fact that the game was so poorly designed was what made TTS a joke to me. It's actually insulting when compared to REmake, which had clearly had a lot of thought and effort put into it and was brilliantly executed. Even MGS4 Shadow Moses is vastly superior, even though that chapter is pretty boring.

BocoDragon

I must say the problems I have with the Twin Snakes are similar to other people's problems. The original MGS has a very gritty, science fiction noir feel to it. At the time the atmosphere and mood was extremely unique, there are moments where things are extremely odd and peculiar, but the MGS universe is pretty simple and believable in of itself up until MGS4 and Peace Walker.

Twin Snake's mood and atmosphere feel drastically different due to a lot of things, the cutscenes being a huge part of that. If I had to compare the two, the original MGS feels like a weird hybrid of Bladerunner and a David Lynch film. While Twin Snakes feels like The Matrix with less David Lynch qualities.

I'd say the preference someone has with either is more complicated than "The original came first, so it's better".

Well said.

And lets look at the fact of why Twin Snakes is different... They hired spaz-filmmaker Ryuhei Kitamura to go into each cutscene and deliberately Matrix it up in order to make a distinct and crazy new product. It's a wild and wacky alternative vision (I enjoy it for what it is), but it clearly is not the standard telling of the tale. And of course it's not the version of MGS1's storytelling that earned the original praise.

Hmm, looking at Google Maps I can't seem to find a country in Africa that fits the shape.

Anyone else want to give it a shot?

CGtTN.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk

Also, while we're talking about tech, am I crazy for thinking Snake's hologram map in Ground Zeroes looked a little too high-tech for it being in a game in the 70s? Snake Eater had nothing even hinting at something like that, and it took place only ten years prior. There's still some part of me thinking it's present-day/future Snake.

I mean, yeah Kojima can retcon like a bastard, but something like that seems like too much an oversight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom