• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater |OT| "The world was split into two - HD and 3D."

How would you guys fix the regular controls?

What would you say to X = actions, B = crouch/stand, and Y/A controls the camera left and right? Then map vertical camera movement to the d-pad...?

Yuterald

I'd much rather have a remake of Ghost Babel.

Leave MGS2 in the past, where it should remain.

If only there was some type of official thread for which you could look up almost ALL this information.

Sorry I didn't bother to read the OT. I just came in to dump my first impressions. You don't have to be all sarcastic sally about it. =/

Just stick Ghost Babel on the e-shop!

nodding.gif

To whom it may concern: FUCKING LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

This thread is making me sad that I didn't pre-order this when Amazon had their $10 credit deal going. Everyone assured me that this port was going to be garbage!

Tapping the touch screen also functions like "down" on the d-pad.
That's not much better in a game where taking your finger off the movement or camera controls for even a second can make the difference between being spotted or staying hidden. The point is that you need to break the default posture to perform a basic, game-essential action, which is retarded.

OmegaZero

That's not much better in a game where taking your finger off the movement or camera controls for even a second can make the difference between being spotted or staying hidden. The point is that you need to break the default posture to perform a basic, game-essential action, which is retarded.

But in Subsistence (PS2), don't you take your thumb off of the second stick anyway to press X to crouch? That's pretty much the same thing, isn't it (since you can swap between buttons and touchscreen easily with a thumb)?

EDIT: I'm not disagreeing with you about the point in general, but am just not seeing how that applies here, if that clarifies things.

i really dont think that crouched walking is any big deal especially for advanced mgs veterans. many others and me are literally just running from one spot to another and do the same respectively for sneaking. the new aimingsystem on the other hand ist pretty neat.

OmegaZero

What would you say to X = actions, B = crouch/stand, and Y/A controls the camera left and right? Then map vertical camera movement to the d-pad...?

Reminds me of some of the control schemes I've seen suggested for AC: Last Raven PSP.

Does the sweet spot for the 3D effect get more forgiving as your eyes get used to playing in 3D? This is the first game where I'm trying to keep the 3D on at all times, but I'm finding this difficult to do in conjunction with touch-screen crouching. The slight tilt of the screen that happens every time I reach my thumb over causes me to lose the effect, and it hurts my eyes.

Wolfe

Does the sweet spot for the 3D effect get more forgiving as your eyes get used to playing in 3D? This is the first game where I'm trying to keep the 3D on at all times, but I'm finding this difficult to do in conjunction with touch-screen crouching. The slight tilt of the screen that happens every time I reach my thumb over causes me to lose the effect, and it hurts my eyes.

IMO yes, but then you mention that the touch screen is a big source of this issue so my suggestion is to get the CPP.

I still lose the sweet spot occasionally when playing RE:R and things start getting hairy but it's really easy for me to notice and then readjust without skipping a beat.

But in Subsistence (PS2), don't you take your thumb off of the second stick anyway to press X to crouch? That's pretty much the same thing, isn't it (since you can swap between buttons and touchscreen easily with a thumb)?

EDIT: I'm not disagreeing with you about the point in general, but am just not seeing how that applies here, if that clarifies things.
Good point. I guess I should be more specific: using the D-pad for crouching requires that you take your left hand off the movement apparatus, which is very bad for a function you are going to want to be able to perform very quickly and also while moving. Using the touch-screen effectively requires that you reposition your hand entirely from the default posture, which is also very bad.

Doesn't help that the 3DS is a cramped, uncomfortable machine to begin with.

@Jimmy Stav: Try keeping the 3D slider at the low end the entire time. This should hopefully give you the benefit of the 3D effect without the headache-inducing doubling and finnickiness of the positioning of the system.

IMO yes, but then you mention that the touch screen is a big source of this issue so my suggestion is to get the CPP.

I still lose the sweet spot occasionally when playing RE:R and things start getting hairy but it's really easy for me to notice and then readjust without skipping a beat.

Damnit, I really like the 3D but it's such a pain in the ass. Since I don't want to get the CCP I'll probably just restrict 3D to the cutscenes.

OmegaZero

Good point. I guess I should be more specific: using the D-pad for crouching requires that you take your left hand off the movement apparatus, which is very bad for a function you are going to want to be able to perform very quickly and also while moving. Using the touch-screen effectively requires that you reposition your hand entirely from the default posture, which is also very bad.

Doesn't help that the 3DS is a cramped, uncomfortable machine to begin with.

Why I like the CPP.

Yeah, I agree there. One of my irks with this game is that they don't give you much control options. Gyro aiming? Touchscreen camera control? PS2 Snake Eater-style controls? Not here.

Wolfe

Why I like the CPP.

Yeah, I agree there. One of my irks with this game is that they don't give you much control options. Gyro aiming? Touchscreen camera control? PS2 Snake Eater-style controls? Not here.

If there's one thing RE:R has over this game in spades, it's control options.

The game is pretty awesome so far. Just met
Eva
, and omg.

"Who is this mysterious wom--GOOD LAWD DAT ASS."

I love how you can press "R" at one point to get a face full of 3D bewb. Real subtle. xD

Map camera control to the touchscreen. Position the backpack, camo, eat, cure and other items to the left or right (basically, let the user customize the touchscreen at will)
Facebuttons get the normal actions, while the dpad is used for other stuff.

It boggles my mind that Konami never even thought about using the touch screen to aim or control the camera. Sure their use of the touch screen is an improvement over the standard UI of the original game, but as far as using the 3DS goes it's deplorable.

OmegaZero

It boggles my mind that Konami never even thought about using the touch screen to aim or control the camera. Sure their use of the touch screen is an improvement over the standard UI of the original game, but as far as using the 3DS goes it's deplorable.

I'm willing to bet that it was thought about, but never implemented.

Because camera control on a touchscreen completely and utterly sucks. There were many DS games that needed cam controls and the developers tried to incorporate them to the touchscreen. It's just a horrible mess. You need to have your finger remember the center position for it to register properly, otherwise you will be flipping the camera left or back when you were needing to see forward. It's just completely awful. With your eyes fixated on the top screen you can't be looking where your finger is on the touchscreen the whole time. Hell, just try play Super Mario 64 DS with touchscreen controls to get a reminder on how awful this is.

This is the best control setup with the standard 3DS input. The touchscreen is being used in a smart and useful way for things that are not life or death type situations.

daakusedo

I understand boris, like me he's coming from resident evil revelations and it's a complete package. Good camera control on the map part of the screen, gyro aiming used and nice interface to change weapons and items in real time.

Thoraxes

SO, the game is not recommended without the CCP, right?

It's definitely a case by case basis. I am in the camp that couldn't play Peace Walker due to the horrible controls (which are good for some people) and enjoyed it on the PS3 instead.

You should just try the demo and figure out if it's ok by you, because it may be OK for you.

CorvoSol

The game is pretty awesome so far. Just met
Eva
, and omg.

"Who is this mysterious wom--GOOD LAWD DAT ASS."

I love how you can press "R" at one point to get a face full of 3D bewb. Real subtle. xD

Hey man, it beats looking at tree frogs all day.

It's definitely a case by case basis. I am in the camp that couldn't play Peace Walker due to the horrible controls (which are good for some people) and enjoyed it on the PS3 instead.

You should just try the demo and figure out if it's ok by you, because it may be OK for you.

I'm doing fine without CPP. I also played Peace Walker with problems only arising from the wonky camera and my malfunctioning analogue nub.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Well, I can't really stand any MGS control schemes up to now. But like other genres, i figure that I might be more open to it on portable form.

The 3D adds so much to the cutscenes in this game. Everything from the end of Virtuous Mission to the start of the next mission is amazing. :)

One exception: the post-processing 3D added to the Snake Eater song sequence is kind of hilariously bad. It actually screws with my perception of what's being shown. All the fades and overlaid elements don't work well at all when there's only one level of depth, it's just one rippling image aside from a few elements. I'll probably turn off 3D every time I watch it.

The Snake Eater 3D logo disintegrating at the end is great though.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Is this one based on Subsistence or vanilla MGS3?
I was amused to note that Capcom, Namco, and fucking Majesco warranted Club Nintendo registration vouchers, but apparently a mainline Konami release doesn't. ;p

OmegaZero

Is this one based on Subsistence or vanilla MGS3?
I was amused to note that Capcom, Namco, and fucking Majesco warranted Club Nintendo registration vouchers, but apparently a mainline Konami release doesn't. ;p

Vanilla MGS3 with Subsistence camera, IIRC.

Forkball

So... it's good? I tried the demo, but the controls were cumbersome and the framerate was awful at times. Is it much improved?

The 3D adds so much to the cutscenes in this game. Everything from the end of Virtuous Mission to the start of the next mission is amazing. :)

One exception: the post-processing 3D added to the Snake Eater song sequence is kind of hilariously bad. It actually screws with my perception of what's being shown. All the fades and overlaid elements don't work well at all when there's only one level of depth, it's just one rippling image aside from a few elements. I'll probably turn off 3D every time I watch it.

The Snake Eater 3D logo disintegrating at the end is great though.

At least you got to see it! My game locked up when it started playing to the point where my 3DS froze when trying to close it from the home screen.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Gamespot joins to the best looking (and playing!?) version bandwagon.

Review.

From what I have played in the demo, I can't agree. Is the retail game that much improved?

Thoraxes

Gamespot joins to the best looking (and playing!?) version bandwagon.

Review.

From what I have played in the demo, I can't agree. Is the retail game that much improved?

You can notice the difference. Also, the 3D really does add a lot to it. These reviewers aren't just blowing it out their asses.

Thoraxes

Damn, the more I play the more I realize the reviews are right.

This is some of the best 3D on the system yet, and the graphical enhancements are really noticeable in great ways.

Damn, the more I play the more I realize the reviews are right.

This is some of the best 3D on the system yet, and the graphical enhancements are really noticeable in great ways.

So the HD version is not the definitive version after all.I had a feeling the 3DS version had an ace up its sleeve.I;m glad I didn't buy the HD version for my first play through, but will be picking this up ,no doubt about it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
So the HD version is not the definitive version after all.I had a feeling the 3DS version had an ace up its sleeve.I;m glad I didn't buy the HD version for my first play through, but will be picking this up ,no doubt about it.

I'm confused - are you calling "definitive version" whilst also mentioning you've never played a single version of the game, including the one you are calling the definitive version?

I mean - it's possible and all that - but.... err....

Thoraxes

I wouldn't say one is more "definitive" than the other, it's just that they each carry their strong suits so well. Regardless of which version you buy, you're getting an awesome game.

I'm confused - are you calling "definitive version" whilst also mentioning you've never played a single version of the game, including the one you are calling the definitive version?

I mean - it's possible and all that - but.... err....

Because we had a big debate about it on another thread about which version to play for your first play through, and the HD version got most of the praise but now it looks as though this might be the best version to load up for your first time playing it.

And ya it looks great cant wait to get my hands on it.

sfried

Gyro aiming solved the whole "second stick" issue in RE:R. I thought about several styles of auto-camera for MGS3D:

-"Z-targeting" style a la Zelda
-Mapping the camera to the Control Pad, which incidentally would be easier than "the claw"

Also to comment back on the cutscenes: they really do add a lot of depth, and considering MGS3 does almost all of its cutscenes in real-time, it kinda shows too.

jokkir

Is there a benefit to not killing anyone? I'm killing anything I see move (although probably not all animals, just soldiers and whatnot)

Top Bottom