• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardcore History |OT| New episode: Painfotainment

Kapsama

I love Hardcore History. I've listened to all the free ones and purchased one or two of the archived ones as well.

Among the ones already mentioned in this thread a few of my favs are "Oldschool Toughness" and "Globalization Unto Death".

His other podcast "Common Sense" is also nothing short of amazing. He can really put current events into proper historical context. How he dealt with the current IRS scandal was eye opening.

Cyan

Banned
Love this podcast so much. Still haven't gotten a chance to listen to the Khans episodes, will have to do that soon.

I had heard about this podcast from a colleague whose opinions in general are... questionable, so I never checked it out. This thread, though got me to dive in. Working my way through the Ostfront eps. Guy is an excellent storyteller.

Dan is going to be on The Joe Rogan podcast tomorrow for those interested, last time he was on was a great show.

We haven't had a Common Sense in a few weeks so hopefully we'll get one of those soon too.

Necrovex

I have some internet work to take care of, so I'm going to start listening to the Wrath of the Khans when I start my shift in a few minutes. Here's hoping that I can finally start to broaden my knowledge of history (one of my favorite topics in school).

Necrovex

All right, this podcast is stellar so far. It's a pity my workload is so inconsistent today, or I would continue to listen to this episode. Learning more about how Ghan affected China, the way he fought wars, and the aftermath of a battle is quite rad. I am not getting all the details because I do have to read for my job (at some points), but what I am gathering from this podcast is quite amazing.

Listen to this podcast, peeps!

LCfiner

I appreciate this thread. I hadn’t heard of this show before. Listened to all 5 episodes of The Wrath of the Khans over the weekend.

Great series. I love his ability to place events in context of the period and provide some insight into some of the personal relationships of these figures (part 5 of the Khans series is full of this stuff)

I still chuckle a little when he starts an open quote from a source and his voice starts booming and sounding very authoritarian.

I’m starting up the “Death Throes of the Republic” series now. good stuff so far.

Also gave my friends a heads up on this show. a couple of them are into history and I think they’ll like it.

Nerokis

The description of life in Berlin before the inevitable Russian invasion was mindblowing.

Everybody is recommending the big series, but what about the single episodes? What are some of Dan-GAF's favorites? Mine is probably the "logical insanity" episode (about the Atom bombs). It took me completely by surprise, and actually made me change my opinion about the topic.

Logical Insanity was the first episode I ever listened to, and my response was similar to yours. I remain conflicted on the issue, but it's suddenly far harder to imagine a viable alternative. That's probably my favorite single episode so far, as well. :)

Since then, Hardcore History has been my favorite podcast. The Punic Wars, Death Throes of the Republic, and Wrath of the Khans were all fantastic series. I've yet to listen to Ghosts of the Ostfront.

bomma_man

Ghosts of the Ostront is fantastic, but it's going to cost you $6 at this point (well worth it if you ask me, and it's like a dollar per hour).

His recent podcast about the morality of dropping the nuclear bombs on Japan (which is still free) is also great.

co-signed.

Teddy Roosevelt sounds like a bit of an idiot in all honesty (if, of course, Dan's representation is correct). I know he was good on the domestic front, and I can't think of a single US president who had all round good foreign policy, but his naiveté is astounding. I can't comprehend how it took the death of his son to make him understand something that seems to be given.

RJT

co-signed.

Teddy Roosevelt sounds like a bit of an idiot in all honesty (if, of course, Dan's representation is correct). I know he was good on the domestic front, and I can't think of a single US president who had all round good foreign policy, but his naiveté is astounding. I can't comprehend how it took the death of his son to make him understand something that seems to be given.

I find Dan to be brutally honest when describing historical figures. When I go read on Wikipedia about them, I usually think: yup, this is the politically correct version of what he said. Here's an article about his rough riders period which seems to confirm his cowboy persona.

Kapsama

And for all that I still can't judge Teddy that harshly because as also mentioned in the podcast, he actually walked the walk.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Dan said that the next Hardcore History episode will be the start of a new multi-part series in the vein of Death Throes or Ghosts of the Ostfront. The leading topics for consideration are either Alexander III of Macedon or The Great War. Either series would be amazing. I'm leaning towards a series on Alexander the Great, coming full circle back to the original HH episode.

Dan's been struggling as of late with his single topic episodes. I think Prophets of Doom and American Peril were pretty hit and miss. I think he's gotten used to the longer more narrative complete multi-part shows. Some of my favorites have been Punic Nightmares, Ghosts of the Ostrfront, Deathroes, Mongols, etc.

Clevinger

Dan's been struggling as of late with his single topic episodes. I think Prophets of Doom and American Peril were pretty hit and miss. I think he's gotten used to the longer more narrative complete multi-part shows. Some of my favorites have been Punic Nightmares, Ghosts of the Ostrfront, Deathroes, Mongols, etc.

Prophets was amazing.

huxley00

I love the topics but I just don't care much for the host and his style of speaking...which is a shame as the episodes have a lot of great content. I much prefer History of Rome or the Byzantine Rulers podcasts.

Hari Seldon

I love the topics but I just don't care much for the host and his style of speaking...which is a shame as the episodes have a lot of great content. I much prefer History of Rome or the Byzantine Rulers podcasts.

Really? I am definitely the opposite. Dan Carlin is a lot more engaging than those podcasts.

co-signed.

It's a given to you, because you're an enlightened product of the 21st century. The world has changed a lot in a hundred years. Think about Dan describing Roosevelt as a liberal of the time on his views on race, but today we would think of him as racist as shit.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Really? I am definitely the opposite. Dan Carlin is a lot more engaging than those podcasts.

Ya same here. I also think Dan brings in way more detail and sources into his shows. I haven't listened to the sprawling History of Rome podcast, but I think the 12 Byzantine Rules podcast was pretty mediocre. It's like reading a wikipedia entry compared to Dan's in depth pods.

Salvadora

Just finished the American Peril. His characterisation of Theodore Roosevelt & the United States in general in the later part of the 19th - the early part of the 20th century was incredible.

The Philippines insurrection was quite unknown to me and the parallels to Vietnam were astounding. It was of the high quality that I've come to expect from Dan Carlin.

Now for the long, long wait until the next episode.

huxley00

yeah, same. it's his style that really engages me.

but, y'know, different strokes for different folks.

Huh, thats interesting. Maybe I'll give him another try. He was always so over zealous...Ill give him another shot. Some may enjoy the Chinese History Podcast as well, that is another host that really gets into the topics. It can be hard to keep names straight though.

Draft

Listen with headphones if possible. He puts subtle music cues and sound bytes that are hard to pick up with speakers.

Cyan

Banned

How much did you listen to? I had to push through the entirety of one episode on the strength of how interesting the topic was before his delivery stopped irritating me.

And now I love it.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I hate Joe Rogan as well, but love Dan Carlin.

Dan Carlin made his second appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience yesterday.

Dan hinted on the Rogan podcast that he was going to do the modern series (World War I) first before plunging into the ancient series (Alexander III of Macedon).

Kapsama

Ya same here. I also think Dan brings in way more detail and sources into his shows. I haven't listened to the sprawling History of Rome podcast, but I think the 12 Byzantine Rules podcast was pretty mediocre. It's like reading a wikipedia entry compared to Dan's in depth pods.

12 Byzantine Rules was pretty bleh, like you said, nothing I couldn't get by reading Wikipedia. And the last episode made me conclude that the guy is a bigot as well.

How much did you listen to? I had to push through the entirety of one episode on the strength of how interesting the topic was before his delivery stopped irritating me.

And now I love it.
Seriously? His delivery is part of why his podcasts are so great. Imo anyway.

Dan's somewhat fond of the crazies as exemplified by his guests on Common Sense, doesn't change how much I adore his History series though.

Um? He pretty much distanced himself from the crazies like Alex Jones in one of the recent Common Sense episodes.

Joe Rogan isn't really a crazy, he's just a loud, obnoxious attention whore.

Finished it up yesterday and now the loooong wait. Am I the only one that gets goose bumps when the boom goes off at the end of each podcast?
Same here. Gives me the shivers.

Nerokis

Dan said that the next Hardcore History episode will be the start of a new multi-part series in the vein of Death Throes or Ghosts of the Ostfront. The leading topics for consideration are either Alexander III of Macedon or The Great War. Either series would be amazing. I'm leaning towards a series on Alexander the Great, coming full circle back to the original HH episode.

Whoa. It's impossible to overstate how incredibly awesome a series on Alexander The Great would be. Somehow, though, I'm not expecting to see it until maybe mid 2014. :p

I've yet to give American Peril a listen, but I thought Prophets of Doom was really interesting. I did hear about the troubles he had with the episode, but I ended up becoming quite absorbed in it either way.

hom3land

Finished it up yesterday and now the loooong wait. Am I the only one that gets goose bumps when the boom goes off at the end of each podcast?

like the podcast as well, but I also have to echo the sentiment that Dan's narration style can get on my nerves. Too often he sounds too theatrical and dramatic for my likings. different strokes. I think i'll revisit the podcast. it's beem a while since ive listened to it.

MjFrancis

This is by far my favorite podcast. I'll echo some of the other posts with my own favorite episodes:

Punic Nightmares
Death Throes of the Republic
The What-Ifs of 1066
Wrath of the Khans
Ghosts of the Ostfront
Logical Insanity

The last episode was great, too. The American Peril expanded on Theodore Roosevelt's character in a way I was unfamiliar with - beforehand my knowledge of Roosevelt was limited to Ken Burn's documentary The National Parks. Roosevelt's romanticism of the wilderness parallels his romanticism of war - that was just the lens through which he viewed the world.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Roosevelt belonged to a long line of 19th century politicians and intellectuals who thought that war was noble and liberating. Steven Pinker touches upon this briefly in his last book. Alexis de Tocqueville, for example, said, "War almost always enlarges the mind of a people and raises their character." Thomas Mann had a similar view: "War is a purging and a liberation." Roosevelt, though, who must have had some memory of the Civil War, probably should have known better.

For better or worse, Roosevelt's self-image was completely bound to the military. During his first term, he presided over "the largest peacetime naval expansion in American history," according to the writer Ian Toll. "By 1906, the United States had more battleships afloat than any other naval power except Great Britain," and naval spending surpassed $100 million for the first time. Toll has an interesting anecdote that says a lot about Roosevelt's style and the growing clout of American military power: "In 1907, Roosevelt proposed that the main battle fleet of the US Navy - sixteen first-class battleships known as the Great White Fleet, so named because they were painted white - should sail on a 'goodwill' circumnavigation of the world, both in order to advertise American naval power and to drill the officers and men in a technically demanding exercise. No fleet of capital ships had ever made such a voyage. When Congress balked at the expense, Roosevelt ordered the ships to sail for the Pacific using existing resources, and then dared Congress not to appropriate funds for the fleet's return. Roosevelt later remarked, 'There was no further difficulty about money.'"

Hari Seldon

Lol I'm sitting here trying to think back to what episode you guys are talking about referring to Teddy Roosevelt, then it dawns on me that perhaps I need to refresh my podcast app. Boom a new episode! This is like christmas haha.

I really need to purchase some of his extended edition podcasts, I have been meaning to.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Lol I'm sitting here trying to think back to what episode you guys are talking about referring to Teddy Roosevelt, then it dawns on me that perhaps I need to refresh my podcast app. Boom a new episode! This is like christmas haha.

I really need to purchase some of his extended edition podcasts, I have been meaning to.

I've purchased the 2 Extra Hardcore History episodes he's released. I wouldn't call them essential, but I bought them to support his quality free work. But if you haven't heard some of the earlier episodes, I would recommend buying them. Some of the older episodes like Judgement of Nineveh or the 3 part Punic Nightmares are fantastic.

Coreda

Starting with the Wrath of the Khans I and enjoying it. Dan should really use mono/64kps to get the filesizes down though. Also some dynamic range compression would help to hear the softer parts more easily in noisier areas.

Kapsama

Starting with the Wrath of the Khans I and enjoying it. Dan should really use mono/64kps to get the filesizes down though. Also some dynamic range compression would help to hear the softer parts more easily in noisier areas.

He actually addresses this in one of his podcasts. I don't fully remember what he says but the current method is done on purpose for a better experience afaik.

Top Bottom