• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•14-16•17 - Audiences go Ape, Sick of Spider-man and Wonder Woman (finally)?

The whole NOT A RECORD! stuff during Avengers opening weekend was fun. The number kept climbing and climbing, but they stayed in denial.
That weekend was a wild ride since it was so far above the previous record holder. Just came out of fucking nowhere.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I can now confirm Valerian is the film event of the year. You should all cancel your Dunkirk plans and go see it.
rejoice.png

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Alright Chamber, give me a semi serious impression.

The first act is excellent, had me seriously hyped for the rest of the movie. Then it drags on a bit too much in the middle and rushes the ending. DeHaan is miscast as Valerian and he and Delevingne couldn't have less romantic chemistry if they tried.

I think it's worth watching at some point for the excellent worldbuilding, design and visuals. The first act is seriously awesome but yeah, not good.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
The first act is excellent, had me seriously hyped for the rest of the movie. Then it drags on a bit too much in the middle and rushes the ending. DeHaan is miscast as Valerian and he and Delevingne couldn't have less romantic chemistry if they tried.

I think it's worth watching at some point for the excellent worldbuilding, design and visuals. The first act is seriously awesome but yeah, not good.
About what I was expecting. Definitely checking it out eventually. Appreciate it.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
That interview I saw with DeHaan and Delevingne made it clear they had no chemistry. It was like they were in two different rooms and CGI'd together.

It honestly feels like every DeHaan performance I've seen post-Chronicle he was miscast.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That interview I saw with DeHaan and Delevingne made it clear they had no chemistry. It was like they were in two different rooms and CGI'd together.

It honestly feels like every DeHaan performance I've seen post-Chronicle he was miscast.

He comes off as more of a character actor to me. Definitely not leading man of a sci-fi actioner. I'm not exactly sure why Hollywood is trying to make Cara Delevingne work either. Granted, I've only seen her in Suicide Squad and Paper Towns.

Man, I never imagined Fox would do more Deadpool/Logan-esque movies even after seeing success with their creator driven ones. Doctor Doom could be amazing.

Edit: Yep, looks like WW2 will be announced:
Johns' said his mentor Richard Donner is still a big factor in his life - he just had dinner with Donner and Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins.
He said Donner's kindness is inspiring.
Johns said Donner would always include him in his creative process. "It's all about heart," is the lesson he learned from Donner. "If you have a choice between logic and heart, choose heart. You can figure out the logic later - especially in comic books."

That sounds like 4K Bluray rental to me.

Angel_DvA

Damn, it's the worst launch of a Spidey movie ever there, under 1 million and below Amazing Spiderman which was already the weakest launch ever for the franchise, it bombed hard lol...

I wouldn't call it a bomb, it's still a decent number for a superhero movie. But unless it has great legs, Homecoming is probably not going to be able to catch up to Spider-Man 3's first week numbers alone, which is crazy.

Anyway, it doesn't mean much, it's a small market. I only bring it up because I like to see what movies mainstream audiences respond to in my country. The most successful Hollywood film this year so far is... The Boss Baby. Ugh, we suck. But nothing seems to have really caught on, honestly, not a single film above 5 million tickets sold yet, which isn't even that high a bar. Star Wars might do 8 million + though.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The Spider-Man reports are concerning.

I'm concerned they might jeopardize the Sony/Marve deal, especially if the film is performing under Sony's expectations.

Top Bottom