• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hit Manga "One Piece" Getting Live-Action TV Show from Prison Break producer

Must watch for the eventual goddess Pudding.

Jennifer Lawrence as
Bitch
Pudding

rs_500x220-140508105809-tumblr_mf6wvtEUVE1r6w7e0o1_500_large.gif

andymcc

Banned
Oh, then it's still not.

OP anime is still running strong with ratings, dvds and merchandise that HXH ever could hope for.

Ok? I'm not disputing that?

He's saying that a new restart of the series with more focused storytelling and less Toei penny-pinching would make a bigger impact in the west. Ain't talking about the series in Japan.

PixelatedBookake

Should have figured the guy with the ring around his lips was black

Oh Japan

I feel like I've been subconsciously pushing this to the back of my head once I read that Usopp would "be from Africa (Also not a country Oda :/)" just so I can enjoy the character without me thinking he was something of a racist caricature of people like me

I still love the character though, but I wish he didn't have to look like that.

Gnome

I feel like I've been subconsciously pushing this to the back of my head once I read that Usopp would "be from Africa (Also not a country Oda :/)" just so I can enjoy the character without me thinking he was something of a racist caricature of people like me

I still love the character though, but I wish he didn't have to look like that.

Wait, was that picture of the OP crew labeled with countries an official thing?

Ray Down

Banned
True, but like, at the end of the day, no matter where this airs.... The question remains: Why?

Simple answer: money.

Jump live action stuff been making good money for the recently and if this is pulled off and a success it will make bank for them

Kreed

Studios behind Japanese to US manga adaptions seem to be the only ones these days that don't listen to fans, social media negativity, trends, sales, past film failures or anything that should warn them that this is a really stupid idea.

Ok? I'm not disputing that?

He's saying that a new restart of the series with more focused storytelling and less Toei penny-pinching would make a bigger impact in the west. Ain't talking about the series in Japan.

Unfortunately, that won't happen until when the original anime is still on-air.

I recommend One Pace.

What's wrong with you :p

The possibility of a live-action Pudding is what's wrong with me. lol

Some really early enemies:

buggy_by_silverjenkins-dasm30h.png

Arlong-Pirates.jpg

One piece regular has huge characters (most characters aside from main ones are at least 7 feet tall)

Multiple unique races like Fishmen.

And finally insane powers. Not to mention the guy who holds a third sword in his mouth and the dude who only kicks.

... Why is Canada a beaver?

The joke is usually tanooki. He's a reindeer.

latest

This is like the least suitable Shonen Jump property to make into live action. What makes One Piece so unique and special is how cartoony it is from the action, to the character designs, and settings.

zulux21

I love one piece. it's a great series and more people should love it in the west.

that being said...
it should never be made into a live action series.
it will either look horrible or give me horrible nightmares as the characters often do really creepy things.

Nightbird

Wait, was that picture of the OP crew labeled with countries an official thing?

Oda couldn't even be bothered to learn any of the countries in Africa LOL SMH

Anyway I'm with everybody else.......why?

What details do we have?

Actually thats all we have on that.

A fan once asked in a letter where the main cast would be from if they were actual people, and that was Oda's answer

Big One

Banned
How would it work? I just don't see it, unless they manage to do something truly unique with it. It's hard to image One Piece getting reimagined for a Western style live-action TV show.

Top Bottom