• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish (PC) |OT| Steam Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Knees

Xliskin

finally PG game that feels fresh ,last game I remember felt fresh was MGR , damn long time ago

I know not new game but new for me

Mechazawa

Everyone keep talking about the title because my good, good friend Wechazawa thought it up and pathetically feeds on all your validation.

soldat7

To all the people that will inevitably say that the story sucks:

cqVNOUx.gif

DKL

Story felt like someone opened a newspaper and turned a bunch of buzzwords into some kind of narrative.

It was pretty funny much in the same way this was funny:

Salazar: So nice you could join us Mr. Scott Kennedy.
Leon Kennedy: [points at Salazar] You again!
Salazar: The sacred rite that is about to begin at this tower shall endow the girl with magnificent power. She will join us, become one of us.
Leon Kennedy: This is no ritual. It's terrorism!
Salazar: Isn't that a popular word these days?

But yeah, something something gameplay.

It's interesting actually. One of the few big Japanese games that criticizes capitalism and/or USA.

This, Dead Rising and Binary Domain.

I don't think that's remotely true. I could name at least three games just from Platinum that do the same. And Mikami has done it in a bunch of his games.

But I'm not sure if it's the game's themes that are really in any sort of contention. All of that is mostly just warmed over Metal Gear Solid stuff about DARPA and Cold War geopolitics. It's the lousy storytelling itself that is the main problem. You get long story-focused sequences with almost zero gameplay (Platinum always has a problem with even pacing), the dialogue can be...rough, the narrative (and the game itself) feels like it cuts off about halfway, the villains are barely sketched out at all, and it's admittedly been a while but I'm not remembering any particularly strong character development.

I'm even one of those weirdos who really loves Bayonetta's story, but Vanquish's story is terrible. I know the cheese factor was enough to elevate it for some players, but pairing the poor writing with bad pacing created something I found incredibly obnoxious and tedious.

EDIT: Of course, with the story's newly-earned prescient status maybe it will hold more value to me.

On the note of the story, who would have thought they would come up with something as outrageous as (do people even give a fuck about spoilers for Vanquish?)
the US president colluding with the Russians eh?

Mechazawa

It's interesting actually. One of the few big Japanese games that criticizes capitalism and/or USA.

This, Dead Rising and Binary Domain.

I don't really remember the game criticizing capitalism. At best I guess it might have had a mild critique about the military industrial complex.

But yeah, the story is junk. If you're coming to Vanquish for writing, you're coming for 2010 Prose of Year masterpieces like "Glug glug, bitches"

Arklite

A ridiculous plot unfolding in a giant lethal space station before an army of robot soldiers and two of the most gravel voiced soldiers ever. It's perfect.

Rambler

I can't hate on the story in Vanquish because the Russian dude was an underrated villain.

"Hey look at me I've got a super suit too! I'm the rival character!"
"Just kidding! This is actually a drone, I'm chilling hundreds of miles away in a space pod, and I'm going to get away with everything scot free regardless of what happens."
"Oh btw, I brought more than one with me. Good luck fighting them both at the same time."

It was nice to have a bad guy that didn't constantly do things in the protagonist's favor.

Coda

Anyone know what time the game goes live?

Edit: Nevermind just saw it on the previous page. Wish it was tonight at midnight though.

ParityBit

I just picked this up and Bayonetta. For no reason other than support them and finally play them.

I just need to finish The Witcher 3 last expansion first!

Kthulhu

Alright! Now a whole new generation of people gets to complain about Jim Sterling's 5/10 review!

I know you're joking, but let's actually not. Between the Zelda, Nier, and Prey review threads of people not understanding that reviews are subjective and obsessing over metascores I'd rather not have to see it in a thread about a port I and many others never thought would happen.

To get the discount do I just add both to the cart? I plan to buy both never played either and want to support these guys as well.

Anyone else buy from the Humble Store? Is it normal to not receive a Steam key this close to release?

Also, this gif isn't as cool as the stuff in the OP, but it's still neat

vanqdodgfmb35.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The game is actually unlocking when the discount ends as the countdown timer above it is an hour off. I thought I accounted for this when I generated the countdown timer I posted on the previous page, but apparently not.

Edit: Here we go:
t1495724400z4.png

Cerbero

The game is actually unlocking when the discount ends as the countdown timer above it is an hour off. I thought I accounted for this when I generated the countdown timer I posted on the previous page, but apparently not.

Edit: Here we go:
t1495724400z4.png

Well shit that's 7PM in my country, there goes my afternoon.

ParityBit

To get the discount do I just add both to the cart? I plan to buy both never played either and want to support these guys as well.

I did this. Got them both for $30. Also played some Bayonetta before but never gave it the time. I had Vanquish on disc for my 360 .... never played it. You know, stupid ass backlog and all.

I still have a ginormous backlog, but those are going to the top damn it!

thelastword

Banned
No pre-load is a bummer, but at least there's a deal so that people can still buy bayonetta and vanquish for $30.00 total right now...I hope many last minute buyers jump in...

I think the only thing I didn't like about Vanquish was the weapon variety. In usefulness, I mean, not in variety. Most of the more exotic stuff is either very limited in terms of ammo or is just too niche to be worth carrying in comparison to the more standard ballistic weapons. In particular, the assault rifle is going to be your go to weapon for 90% of the game, and while it shoots and feels fine it does make a lot of the fights start to feel samey unless you force yourself to mix it up. Fortunately Vanquish does a decent job of mixing up combat scenarios and presenting you with a variety of combat experiences but still, its all assault rifle all the time. the weapon upgrade system doesn't help either, since it rewards holding onto the same guns for long periods of time.

Top Bottom