• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 keyart revealed

Hopefully we will have a minority pro-tag, probably Native American, rekt'ing bigots, religious zealouts, and neo-nazi-like individuals. Sign me up.

TheRed

But this... I don't see it. I don't see Montana's landscape being as interesting as tropical islands or Nepalese mountains, and I find the idea of christian fundamentalists as bad guys tiring already and I haven't even seen a trailer yet.

Damn Montana is beautiful and underused just like most of American countryside and it's much more unique than tropical islands and mountain setting in games. Especially for Far Cry.

Excited for this setting and definitely excited to shoot some white supremacist nutjobs.

Yeah, there's real potential for a supremely well-told and dark story with this setting.

But this is Ubisoft. The story is going to be a well-spoken bad guy sending hundreds of people after you for you to shoot. And you'll also hunt bears and wolves and whatever else so you can craft bigger wallets and backpacks. There will be many, many icons and side missions. Once you've upgraded everything, you, as a one man army, will take the bad guy down. There will be some hallucinating.

bx0QTGN.gif

BiggNife

This concept seems super interesting but I hope the writers can actually follow through on the pitch.

FC games are fun but 3 had some of the worst writing in a AAA video game and 4's plot, while not as terrible, was still not very good (especially since one of the major decisions of the game boils down to "both sides are bad, actually" which is lazy and unsatisfying).

GlamFM

Banned
Is this the same guy 6 times with different hairstyles?

The artwork itself is not super hot.

The setting it implies is though.

Zeta Oni

Going by the history of every mainline Far Cry cover since 3, wouldn't the guy tied up on the ground there with "sinner" on his back be the protagonist?

YaBish

Not sure why people are ragging on the cover for being "too farcry". It's okay for a series to have a visual identity other than white guy facing forward with gun in hand.

Especially so if it can lead to some cool allusions like the last supper imagery here.

Fury451

Banned
If they're gonna go for it, I really hope they go for it.

I mean it is Ubisoft. I love their games, and they go to some comically cynical/dark places sometimes (Wildlands for example), but this is a tentpole franchise, and the developers, shareholders, execs, etc. want to profit on it.

It needs to make money, so it'll probably be suitably dark but otherwise perfectly marketable if we're being real.

Going by the history of every mainline Far Cry cover since 3, wouldn't the guy tied up on the ground there with "sinner" on his back be the protagonist?

Yes, going by history. Who knows here though.

I have little to no confidence in Ubisoft to pull off the setting/story, so I'm mainly in it for the gameplay/gameplay changes.

Gut Reaction: No. Very turned-off.

I've had some fun with the series in the past though, so I'm interested to see and learn more about the game, setting, and characters.

Damn Montana is beautiful and underused just like most of American countryside and it's much more unique than tropical islands and mountain setting in games. Especially for Far Cry.

Excited for this setting and definitely excited to shoot some white supremacist nutjobs.

Spent a good amount of time in Montana... and some "tropical" areas in South America... id have to argue the opposite i'm sorry. Montana is absolutely gorgeous... but there's not much besides the usual western US landscape. Nothing wrong with that but to me tropical islands offer a much more visually interesting environment.

Also - Is that an Olsen twin on the right?! LMFAO

I'm a Christian so this is definitely intriguing. Excited to see how Ubisoft tackles this.

Also I just want to climb onto a buffalo and take down outposts

Top Bottom