• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Japanese Launch Thread

antonz

iamaustrian said:
those foldable plugs on the charger are nice. is that japanese only?
My US DSi came with that exact charger with the plug foldable

beaten :/

As for the box I must have focused on the giant boxes for the other regions too much didnt realize Japan slim boxes have been known for awhile

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
black and blue versions are looking good on those screen - will still end up with black though....

Gravijah

Izayoi said:
I don't even know what version I'll be ending up with.

Whatever Fred Meyer has got, I guess. I should get there early.

Thank God for Amazon preorders! Might call my local Gamestop to see if they ever got any pre-orders, though... I doubt it. No one cares about that stuff in my town.

Lupin the Wolf said:
Still debating myself on if I should commit to Generi-Black or go with DaringBlue. I liked my bold blue DSi's color while I had it, but I'm really a "red" person.

Well friend, who knows when Red will come out. So... blue!

Gravijah said:
it's probably stupid black anyway

Still debating myself on if I should commit to Generi-Black or go with DaringBlue. I liked my bold blue DSi's color while I had it, but I'm really a "red" person.

EDIT:

Izayoi said:
I don't even know what version I'll be ending up with.

Whatever Fred Meyer has got, I guess. I should get there early.

Funny
(not really)
story. I didn't preorder the Nintendo DS phat or anything. I just waltzed into Fred Meyer on release week (maybe even day--I seem to remember it being a Sunday) and picked one up. Good ol' Super Mario 64 and its crappy D-pad controls. Ah.

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
Thank God for Amazon preorders! Might call my local Gamestop to see if they ever got any pre-orders, though... I doubt it. No one cares about that stuff in my town.
If it wasn't for this $100 Fred Meyer gift card burning a hole in my pocket (thanks for the Xbox 360 price mixup, Amazon) then that's where I would be getting mine as well.

Oh well.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
EVH said:
Yeah, as that's something that comes implemented on the game code.
Hell.

Technically they could make the software compatible with WPA, but I think it wasn't worth the trouble.

i played it today at bic (street fighter, ridge racer, sengoku musou & puzzle bobble) and it was kind of mindblowing. really glad i preordered the blue model too, it looks awesome! ridge racer and street fighter were fantastic, puzzle bobble was puzzle bobble and samurai warriors...i'm not a fan of the series but it seemed way better than PSP dynasty warriors at least.

my one complaint is that i really don't think i like the D-pad - it seemed like a return to the DS lite but looser, though that could just be the well-used public units.

herod

Brazil said:
Hell.

Technically they could make the software compatible with WPA, but I think it wasn't worth the trouble.

Yeah, I'm sure they could have implemented some kind of virtual bridge. Ah well.

EVH

Something I'm curious about is the graphic quality of Ridge Racer. I believe that what we've been playing on the 3DS events at Japan and Europe is the same demo thas was at E3.

But the thing is that on the Iwata ask interview, they say that the game got an important upgrade since the first screens. Someone can give us a clue?

Amir0x

Banned
EVH said:
Something I'm curious about is the graphic quality of Ridge Racer. I believe that what we've been playing on the 3DS events at Japan and Europe is the same demo thas was at E3.

But the thing is that on the Iwata ask interview, they say that the game got an important upgrade since the first screens. Someone can give us a clue?

i can't tell what it is - we've seen a near final build in motion and it still looks seriously awful. Sub-PSP.

Not sure why that is. Wait, yes I am sure. Scamco.

EVH

Amir0x said:
i can't tell what it is - we've seen a near final build in motion and it still looks seriously awful. Sub-PSP.

Not sure why that is. Wait, yes I am sure. Scamco.

Aw :( thanks then, fucking scamco. That interview got my hopes up.

Nisa65

When I played Ridge Racer I was too distracted by the impressive 3D effect to notice a lack of graphical detail in the cars and tracks. The game looks a lot better in motion than in screenshots, although that's not to say it's a graphical powerhouse by any means.

Ridge Racer hasn't been a graphical showcase since the PSX days, most entries in the series from V onwards has been outclassed in the graphics department by other racers out at the time e.g. MSR and PGR3. The only one that was remotely impressive post Type 4 was the PSP version.

The 3DS game retains the classic Ridge Racer gameplay, which along with the bright colours and cheesy Rotterdam techno soundtrack is all any fan of the series wants (unlike that other abomination that was revealed for HD consoles recently). I know when I get my 3DS it'll be one of the first games I pick up for it, "dodgy" graphics or not.

Amir0x

Banned
Nisa65 said:
When I played Ridge Racer I was too distracted by the impressive 3D effect to notice a lack of graphical detail in the cars and tracks. The game looks a lot better in motion than in screenshots, although that's not to say it's a graphical powerhouse by any means.

Ridge Racer hasn't been a graphical showcase since the PSX days, most entries in the series from V onwards has been outclassed in the graphics department by other racers out at the time e.g. MSR and PGR3. The only one that was remotely impressive post Type 4 was the PSP version.

The 3DS game retains the classic Ridge Racer gameplay, which along with the bright colours and cheesy Rotterdam techno soundtrack is all any fan of the series wants (unlike that other abomination that was revealed for HD consoles recently). I know when I get my 3DS it'll be one of the first games I pick up for it, "dodgy" graphics or not.

Except Ridge Racer on PSP was a graphical showcase for the PSP hardware, and remains better looking than RR 3DS. You can make excuses for it as you would, but that's not acceptable

Plus, since I'm turning off 3D for all games I play, i need my games to actually function in non-gimmicky mode.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unless Namco have held back the final retail version for some reason, which they didn't, Ridge Racer looks like total shit.

EVH said:

i would say it's technically about on par with PSP, but the 3D makes a pretty huge difference in terms of how you perceive the visual information in front of you. it's definitely not as cut-and-dry as "this screenshot doesn't look very good".

Amir0x said:
Except Ridge Racer on PSP was a graphical showcase for the PSP hardware, and remains better looking than RR 3DS. You can make excuses for it as you would, but that's not acceptable
They don't look far apart from some of the screenshots I've seen.
sspreviewix2f83nhfd26ui.jpg

920779_20050517_screen004.jpg

Amir0x said:

Plus, since I'm turning off 3D for all games I play, i need my games to actually function in non-gimmicky mode.

can we say that:

A) Ridge Racer was rushed?

B) PSP is easier to tap its power than 3DS?

C) Dev did not really care?

Nisa65

Amir0x said:

I'm sure Namco could have done a better job with the graphics but as long as the other elements that fans of the series want are in there, then who cares? Ridge Racer 6 had relatively poor graphics but it didn't stop me from putting a lot more hours into it than PGR 3 when the 360 launched.

I really didn't think the 3DS version looked worse than the PSP version when I played it a few weeks back either, although I didn't have the benefit of having my PSP alongside me to compare at the time. The screenshots posted above would suggest that the 3DS version is better graphically as well, if only slightly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Smiles and Cries said:
B) PSP is easier to tap its power than 3DS?

It is a wee bit frustrating that so many of the launch games for the 3DS dont really look any better, and in some cases worse, than some of the better PSP launch titles.

RR had some good impressions from someone on Rllmuk as well:

RR 3D basically plays like RR PSP, but it feels a lot faster and more agile. It is less refined and a bit less smooth, but the added 3D effect makes up for that to make RR 3DS a unique new Ridge Racer. Playing with bumper cam (as one should play RR), it looks amazing. Trees, buildings, snowmen and helicopters passing right by, going through tunnels, having rival cars up close on your screen - it all feels so much faster in 3D!

As for the content: around 40 cars, 150 tracks (yes, a bloody lot) both new and old, and 40 'direct audio' songs - half of which is old stuff, the other half is a brilliant mix between the usual electronic and nice hardrock. Coupled to the best engine noises since RR7! And the commentary, which is a bit too present this time, so I turned it down.

There's the usual Grand Prix mode, Standard Race, One-make race (all drive the same car), Time Trial and Ghost Duel (including staff ghosts). An interesting new one is Quick Cup: set your playing time (perfect for train or bus travels) and track type preference, and the game custom generates a set of races for you to play. As for multiplayer: 2 - 4 players locally, and StreetPass functionality for exchanging records and ghosts (for Ghost Duel).

So yeah, I'll be playing this on launch day Interesting how the DS never got a really good racing game in 6 years, while the 3DS gets released with a bloody great one!

Smiles and Cries said:
I thought it was 150 events and not tracks?

the game lacks good ole polish

Iwata Asks said:
The game may be for a handheld system, but we increased the volume. For example, there are quite a few more courses. We made several new courses and there's quite a rich selection of cars. There's also a Grand Prix Mode with various race locations. More than 150!

Seems like 150 tracks to me.

gkryhewy

Nuclear Muffin said:
Seems like 150 tracks to me.

My interpretation of that (as I posted in another thread last night) is that's referring to the grand prix mode. If that's anything like the world xplorer mode in RR6, there would be hundreds of "locations"/events (weather variations, class variations, time of day variations, reverse track variations...). See ridge racer math above.

In any case, it does sound like there's ample content.

gkryhewy said:
That 150 tracks number still sounds impossible to me.

It's probably +150 Grand Prix events, it would be about in line with the previous games.
I thought there was a chance but they'd need about 30 new tracks to add to every track from the series history to reach half that number.

It looks like there's a bunch of RR6/RR7 environments in there, but they've not shown much of them so far.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That game sounds like it has a ton of content. If the 3D mode is impressive (which I've heard multiple people say) I may pick it up. With Ridge Racer speed on the small screen the terrible graphics won't be that distracting.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Gah, I feel sorry for Ridge Racer these days so there's this little sympathy part of me which wants to pick up the 3DS one despite it being far from a polished title.

It may be the last proper Ridge Racer we get though, so anything that harks back to the good old days would be something.

Those bloody nitros though ... :/

olimpia84

just by looking at the covers of Nintendogs/cats I can tell that the game is going to sell at least 1 billion copies in Japan alone

Top Bottom