• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Arabesque

Writer on food wars on the ultra important topic of shipping in food wars from an ANN interview

Yeah, that's more or less what I thought as this arc continued to progress (although this is the first time I think Tsukuda ever admitted Megumi had a chance at the better half of the series). All I hope he doesn't degrade Megumi by having her end up with Takumi or something stupid like that. Edit: I mean, for real, Takumi is like Yamcha who still thinks he can keep up with the big leagues. Seriously, no.

I would've liked some indication however in regards to where Megumi's future character arc would be going after being on the freeze for 2 years now, but I guess after his "Megashima will have something totally important to do!" statement, I should probably not get my hopes up.

Of course, regardless of shipping, the interview is correct that as the series went on, the rom-bit of the romcom started falling to the way side in favour of the serialised storyline, so it was became a side detour to the core of the series.

The interview in general is super cool though, in particular learning about the creative process for the series and how much input each one on the team has on the chapters. I also liked there was a lot of focus on how the food creation and selection was given, since this was a major draw for the series for me since the very beginning. I'm really happy to see more talk about that, since I know in general the fandom doesn't really like exploring it that much.

It doesn't surprise me to learn that Tsukuda had writers block either (and I am amazed at how the interviewer managed to mention that, she's done her research for sure!).

Cool interview. Thanks for the link.

Because I'm bored, lets see the current sales strength/growth of the current SJ lineup. Will not include those with to little data to really work with (Stone/Robot/WNL); amount of weeks counted will be for when the series exist the top 50; it doesn't matter if it comes back again at a later date it will not be counted for my sanity. August released volumes will not be included in this. Remember, not all weeks are created equal. Some have shorter amount of days to sell in its opening week, while others have a higher top 50 cutoff then others

*snip*

Isobee Isobee survival/continuation is tied more to it being pure comedy, similar to how Jaguar survived all those years or that Penguin manga for like half a decade in the magazine. There is always a consideration given to how each series affect the structure and make up of the magazine, and the editorial (for whatever reason) seem to believe that a comedy manga needs to be at the end of each issue of Jump in order to make it a complete reading experience.

In general, it does seem things are stable outside of My Hero which seems to be steadily growing, while Black Clover and Promised Neveralnd having the biggest potential to blow up out of the current line up. Not a bad position to be in.

World Trigger, I feel that it would largely depend on how the comeback is framed. D. Gray Man I think is the series most comparable to it in terms of hiatus affecting it, and it did show positive or stable sales once it came back at the time as a monthly series and also when the Hallow anime was announced. Of course, given the disaster that second anime series turned out to be, I wouldn't try and say it will be one-to-one, but I think World Trigger has some more room to grow. Never going to be a heavy hitter, but it can have a good run still.

That is, as much as i hate to say it, if it comes back :(

This is sort of a tangent, but Aaronrules's link did remind about the digital sales through things like Jump Plus (and how series such as the Food Wars spin off re:Shinomiya are doing sales wise) and I begun to wonder if we are ever going to have a breakdown for that data, as well as how the digital make up of sales are broken down through each different online retailer.

This is why I think it had been becoming more and more difficult to gauge the impact new series truly have sales wise and also what the true number for older series currently. Obviously stuff like Astra: Lost in Space and eLdlive would find a home in the digital retail space than in the physical one (as evident by the sale numbers of their volumes) but for a truly huge series like One Piece, how many people had converted to being digital only or have become physical-digital buyers like for World Trigger, as an example.

upandaway

The Promised Neverland

Hmm... well, I guess that's good enough. So at the very minimum the religion is safe to all of the farm kids and who knows how they can stretch the definition of "not natural born" if they really want to breed in the demon world. They have no reason not to work with people of that religion as much as they can. And even further, Musica is 100% on their side. I'd say that's a net positive.

Though if they were really stuck in the demon world I can't see why they'd want to have kids.

Arabesque

With a group that large, once they hit puberty, and with the lack of proper birth control methods, there is a very great chance that many of them will be having kids.

If only to also make it that humans can somehow break out of the promise.

Chase17

Shudan! 09
Turns out Kamoshida is an alright friend. I enjoyed that little flashback. Would even lend his copies of Attack on Titan! Atsumi really not doing his goalie any favors with his positioning. Interested to see how Kamoshida takes the loss after his whole it's ok if people hate me as long as I'm good at soccer speech was shown. Glad Nanase got her revenge goal.

Wow. I knew Promised Neverland was taking off but that really puts it into perspective. Huge jumps.

Writer on food wars on the ultra important topic of shipping in food wars from an ANN interview
First chapter the father tells Soma it's all about finding someone special to cook for. The writer has a plan!
maybe

In general, it does seem things are stable outside of My Hero which seems to be steadily growing, while Black Clover and Promised Neveralnd having the biggest potential to blow up out of the current line up. Not a bad position to be in.

World Trigger, I feel that it would largely depend on how the comeback is framed. D. Gray Man I think is the series most comparable to it in terms of hiatus affecting it, and it did show positive or stable sales once it came back at the time as a monthly series and also when the Hallow anime was announced. Of course, given the disaster that second anime series turned out to be, I wouldn't try and say it will be one-to-one, but I think World Trigger has some more room to grow. Never going to be a heavy hitter, but it can have a good run still..

I think World Trigger fans have remained strong and will stick with it when it comes back, at least in my following of the fans and etc in jpn online.

Only issue with jump+ is I dont think any of those series there last long? elDLIVE seems to be the only longish title there, most others appeared to end around 4-8 volumes. Also theres so many there that the competition to get visibility must be tough.

At least in the physical and digital version of the actual jump magazine you do have to at least flip through other series to get to the one you want.

upandaway

Yuyushiki 14

Nu4CHxQ.png

This can be useful

PK Gaming

Makes sense that he leaned more towards Soma/Megumi, back when she was basically the deuteragonist. :(

I dislike shipping wars and I hate how people fuss over which girl gets to have Soma's cock, but at this point, Soma/Erina is the endgame.

DNAbro

Because I'm bored, lets see the current sales strength/growth of the current SJ lineup. Will not include those with to little data to really work with (Stone/Robot/WNL); amount of weeks counted will be for when the series exist the top 50; it doesn't matter if it comes back again at a later date it will not be counted for my sanity. August released volumes will not be included in this. Remember, not all weeks are created equal. Some have shorter amount of days to sell in its opening week, while others have a higher top 50 cutoff then others.

Haikyuu is the one that shocks me with it's sales. Crazy to me that a volleyball manga became so popular.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Jojolion ch. 68

"Protect me first and foremost!" Gappy's gone the very next panel, lol.

Them running for bedrock to climb on for safety from an underground enemy feels so Tremors. I appreciate that.

Golden Kamuy ch. 108

This crackhead just fucked a deer and I'm not even phased because this is Golden Kamuy.

EARTH GIRLS TUMUGI (NSFW doujin)

Mira x yuri x polygamy x tailoring x xxx. It's related to another book they did with the same tribal setting, and featuring a handful of the same characters. I'm somewhat amazed that the curse of 1st girl winning was broken here + that the same self-professed womaniser was NTRed again. I suppose the message here is that pure(r) yuri conquers all. Well, Fana possesses greater talents, so it's better this way.

Also posting some LN in an LN thread.

Nordicus

Beastars 46

After last chapter I had the impression that Legosi and Haru had sort of silently agreed to keep their relationship platonic despite some underlying desire on both sides to be romantic, so their meeting this chapter was. So! God! Damn!

E6piCSx.jpg

Zweizer

Banned
Car Graffiti JK ch19

Poor Gori got his hopes up.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch61-62

Bigger doesn't mean better, or something.

Beastars ch46

Juno really is going all-out. Too bad for her the other party's mind is set.

Aho Girl ch85

I think at this point old guy doesn't actually want to catch it anymore.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch609

Like peas in a pod.

Mob Psycho 100 ch100.8

If anything, it was a decent showing of dad-son teamwork.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi ch56

Guess he's not N°2 for nothing.

Shokugeki no Soma ch227

lol, they got swept the fuck out. So much for all the positive reactions.

Arabesque

First chapter the father tells Soma it's all about finding someone special to cook for. The writer has a plan!
maybe

Seems like a sticky note that changes depending on the author's mood.

But they will probably do something about it by the series' end.

I think World Trigger fans have remained strong and will stick with it when it comes back, at least in my following of the fans and etc in jpn online.

Only issue with jump+ is I dont think any of those series there last long? elDLIVE seems to be the only longish title there, most others appeared to end around 4-8 volumes. Also theres so many there that the competition to get visibility must be tough.

At least in the physical and digital version of the actual jump magazine you do have to at least flip through other series to get to the one you want.

I do think that the World Trigger fandom will probably stick around with the series in the event it does come back (similar to how it was with D Gray Man) but I am interested in what the growth with the series look like.

A cursory look at the Jump Plus site shows that there are still a few long running titles there other than eldlive, with Astra and Kiss X Death being popular and long. I guess World's End Harem and iShojo+ also (because smut will always have a home).

But while the competition in the physical space makes it tough for them to stand out, I don't think it applies in the digital storefront. The Jump Plus site and app makes them front and center the main attraction whenever a new chapter comes out, and more importantly, advertises the hell out of every new volume. Hence why I am curious over how the digital volumes for these titles tend to do, as well as titles from the main magazine do comparatively.

Makes sense that he leaned more towards Soma/Megumi, back when she was basically the deuteragonist. :(

I dislike shipping wars and I hate how people fuss over which girl gets to have Soma's cock, but at this point, Soma/Erina is the endgame.

Yeah, pretty much.

The Promised Neverland

Hmm... well, I guess that's good enough. So at the very minimum the religion is safe to all of the farm kids and who knows how they can stretch the definition of "not natural born" if they really want to breed in the demon world. They have no reason not to work with people of that religion as much as they can. And even further, Musica is 100% on their side. I'd say that's a net positive.

Though if they were really stuck in the demon world I can't see why they'd want to have kids.

Were we ever told of what the conditions of the promise were? So I'm assuming all humans in the demon world were artificially created from demons or were there some left over from the previous war who stayed on that side?

bobohoro

Soma 227

Off-screen sweep huh?
I mean, it was kinda obvious, but that transition still felt rather botched.

Tomo-chan 609

My dislike for this manga grows stronger with every chapter.

Were we ever told of what the conditions of the promise were? So I'm assuming all humans in the demon world were artificially created from demons or were there some left over from the previous war who stayed on that side?

We know there is more to the promise that emma and co don't know. As far as we know the humans in the demon world are descendents of those humanity left behind as part of the promise to be farm food.

It's possible it's already in effect, since men seem to be borderline extinct. Off the top of my head, in all the stories there's like 1 guy in More Than Friends. And a bunch of male zombies in GL of the Dead. And I guess there's indirect mentions of guys in Met My Sister While Reading Yuri Manga In The Bath At A Convention For Sisters Who Want To Meet Their Sisters On A Dating Site.

A cursory look at the Jump Plus site shows that there are still a few long running titles there other than eldlive, with Astra and Kiss X Death being popular and long. I guess World's End Harem and iShojo+ also (because smut will always have a home)..

didnt realize Kiss x Death started in 2014, i assume its on some irregular schedule, Astras only a year old.

I'm catching up on Kingdom and a memory is bothering me and I was wondering if anyone could help jog my memory.

I remember a fairly prominent character (in that particular arc anyways, maybe he was a strategist?) getting killed off after a battle or war back home due to some political machinations. I want to say it was raining, there may have been a carriage and some spears involved.

This is really bugging me.

Shokugeki no Soma

Absolutely Savage. And now Megumi, and Takumi are against these beasts? lol

I'm guessing next match is Soma Erina and Takumi.

shokugeki no soma 227

Well, that outcome was pretty much expected. I wonder what the matchups are going to be. The rebel team still 5 people left, and I'm sure more of them will lose at some point.

Zweizer

Banned
I'm catching up on Kingdom and a memory is bothering me and I was wondering if anyone could help jog my memory.

I remember a fairly prominent character (in that particular arc anyways, maybe he was a strategist?) getting killed off after a battle or war back home due to some political machinations. I want to say it was raining, there may have been a carriage and some spears involved.

This is really bugging me.

Shunshinkun
?

SPOTTED FLOWER 21

:|

He better not cheat.

Read spoiler about 22
Fuck this shit .

This is supposed to be a heartwarming funny series. FUCK . Now i now how Seo fans really feels.

Tachibanakan to Lie Angle 9-14

If you run after two hares, you will catch neither. Unless you're a harem lead, in which case you'll catch the hares, a fox and a couple of sheep at the same time. I guess we've reached the stage where the two rivals have (somewhat) laid their feelings bare, so it's just going to be filler and/or generic quasi-dating shenanigans until Hanabi hits the 'advance' button with one of them. Meh.

bobohoro

Mai Ball 87

How can this manga be so damn intense.
Although some of the ref decisions are rather weird, even if they are going for the angle of outplaying with theatricals.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Because I'm bored, lets see the current sales strength/growth of the current SJ lineup. Will not include those with to little data to really work with (Stone/Robot/WNL); amount of weeks counted will be for when the series exist the top 50; it doesn't matter if it comes back again at a later date it will not be counted for my sanity. August released volumes will not be included in this. Remember, not all weeks are created equal. Some have shorter amount of days to sell in its opening week, while others have a higher top 50 cutoff then others.

One Piece

2,589,462 One Piece Vol.83 (11 Weeks) --> 2,506,923 One Piece Vol.84 (9 Weeks) --> 2,530,826 One Piece Vol.85 (11 Weeks)

Stable Sales that every other series would kill for.

World Trigger

304,311 World Trigger Vol.16 (4 Weeks) --> 277,049 World Trigger Vol.17 (3 Weeks) --> 275,748 World Trigger Vol.18 (3 Weeks)

Generally stable series, unknown if the hiatus will hurt that if it does come back and doesn't move to a monthly magazine.

Shokugeki no Souma

352,042 Shokugeki no Souma Vol.23 (4 Weeks) --> 338,813 Shokugeki no Souma Vol.24 (4 Weeks) --> 311,314 Shokugeki no Souma Vol.25 (3 Weeks)

Somewhat stable series, may be losing a little bit of steam though 3rd season anime should help that if it is the case.

Hunter x Hunter

1,199,109 Hunter x Hunter Vol.33 (7 Weeks) --> 1,184,765 Hunter x Hunter Vol.34 (5 Weeks)

I ain't fishing Vol.33's stats, even with a year hiatus quite stable.

Gintama

253,743 Gintama Vol.67 (4 weeks) --> 206,548 Gintama Vol.68 (2 Weeks) --> 223,668 Gintama Vol.69 (3 Weeks)

Generally stable, difference between the sales could be attributed to the lack of data in the other two vols's missing weeks.

Haikyuu!!

771,625 Haikyuu!! Vol.24 (7 Weeks) --> 757,219 Haikyuu!! Vol.25 (6 Weeks) --> 749,517 Haikyuu!! Vol.26 (6 Weeks)

Stable seller.

Black Clover

131,749 Black Clover Vol.9 (3 Weeks) 140,385 Black Clover Vol.10 (3 Weeks) --> 150,383 Black Clover Vol.11 (3 Weeks)

Slowly gaining stronger, anime can't hurt this growth.

Promised Neverland

78,409 Yakusoku no Neverland Vol.2 (2 Weeks) --> 122,494 Yakusoku no Neverland Vol.3 (2 Weeks) --> 209,882 Yakusoku no Neverland Vol.4 (3 Weeks)

The numbers speak for themselves here, fricking skyrocketing sales wise.

Yuuna

99,551 Yuragisou no Yuuna-san Vol.4 --> (2 Weeks) 110,861 Yuragisou no Yuuna-san Vol.5 (2 Weeks) --> 99,344 Yuragisou no Yuuna-san Vol.6 (2 Weeks)

Seem generally stable sales, doesn't seem like it will grow much or anymore though.

Kimetsu no Yaiba

21,815 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.4 (1 Week) --> 65,822 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.5 (2 weeks) --> 84,742 Kimetsu no Yaiba Vol.6 (2 Weeks)

Has been growing quite healthy, with each volume showing consistent growth in sales.

PSI Kusuo Saiki

104,322 Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan Vol.20 (Week 3) --> 92,159 Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan Vol.21 (2 Weeks) --> 81,415 Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan Vol.22 (2 Weeks)

Somewhat stable sales, may be losing a little bit of steam since the anime ended.

Boku no Hero Academia

440,536 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.12 (5 Weeks) --> 477,779 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.13 (7 Weeks) --> 547,764 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.14 (8 Weeks, 1st week was 1 day)

Was generally stable sales, anime probably helped Vol 14's sales spike.

Hinomaru-Zumou

36,597 Hinomaru-Zumou Vol.13 (2 Weeks) --> 27,223 Hinomaru-Zumou Vol.14 (1 Week) --> 35,523 Hinomaru-Zumou Vol.15 (2 Weeks, 1st week was 1 day)

A weak seller with generally stable sales, has stayed alive thanks to something always being below it.

Seishun Heiki Number One

Under 12,207 Seishun Heiki Number One Vol.1 (1 Week) --> Under 18,048 Seishun Heiki Number One Vol.2 (1 Week) --> Under 13,808 Seishun Heiki Number One Vol.3 (1 Week)

Dead man walking, may survive this upcoming cut if they only have two new series ready.

Isobe Isobee Monogatari

Under 13,821 Isobe Isobee Monogatari Vol.12 (1 Week) --> Under 18,487 Isobe Isobee Monogatari Vol.13 (1 Week) --> Under 13,808 Isobe Isobee Monogatari Vol.14 (1 Week)

While it sells like shit, it is supposedly quite popular in Japan getting it's own stage play. I've given up trying to figure out the exact reason this series survives.
On Zumou's end I don't think that's true. The manga's been going on for 3 years now and is entering a new arc. If jump wanted to cancel it they done so years ago. Seems more of an editor's pet project since Sumo is the national sport that's currently in decline. It received more color pages than any other manga running in jump last year.

Seems like a prime candidate for outside forces at play.

upandaway

Straighten Up! (end)

Whew... I somehow binged from chapter ~60 to the end today so I couldn't possibly stop before the last 2 chapters, so I went ahead and read the raws (will spoiler tag the raw-only stuff).

I liked this a lot. My favorite part was definitely the first couple of arcs (and specifically the main duo in them) until they were able to dance properly. After a while the manga started to feel a bit samey with the tournaments but it ended before that became an issue. I'd say the characters outside of the main two were never that great and the main two also took a back seat after the first half of the manga, except for the preliminaries (and even then actually, only really the Quickstep).

The final tournament was good. I think there is some redundancy with having multiple heats, 4-5 songs, and 4 rounds (and then 2 types of dances) when a lot of it was pretty similar through comic medium, but oh well, that's what the sport is. The character arcs throughout the tournament kept it going pretty well.

Also wow they got a hell of a growth sprout in high school haha.
Miki and Tanya did too holy crap.
It's like they doubled in height.

Didn't expect Yamaki and Akiko to get chewed out so hard in the end. I'm not sure though because the prodigies who never had any trouble also somehow never let it get to their head while Yamaki and Akiko did to the point of pure humiliation. The coach clearly let them crash to teach them a lesson which is probably what he should've done.

The high school side... well, it played out as well as I wanted to expect for one thing. Those two clearly needed to hook up and I was waiting for it and the chapter was building up to it and it didn't happen. Man. I need to read a romance manga. We actually didn't see a single pair in this manga hook up, I get that it wasn't the point, but you could have made an exception for these two! They're such a good couple too, why not throw us a bone yoko :(

Thermae Romae

Hey, this was better than expected.
Few times you find a work that it's so successful in hitting the goals it sets for itself. Here the author wanted to do a silly comedic manga of a ancient Roman bath engineer that time travels to Japan to learn new bathing techniques... and she does a damn good job with this silly of a premise!

The comic is some times amusing, some times hilarious, and also pleasing in that strange SoL way that some comics have. As the hot baths they use so much here, it has a relaxing rhythm in the chapters, in how predictable (because they are always mostly the same) but entertaining they are.

But that isn't everything, it happens to be very well researched, the basis for the Roman part of the manga isn't based on just a few Hollywood movies the mangaka watched. They are glimpses of their customs, their utensils, stuff like the rebellion in Jerusalem, the conflict between the Senate and the Emperor, the inheritance method, etc. It's not only funny and original, but educative too.
At the end of every chapter there are a pair of text pages from the author, which also are interesting in her insights in both the comic itself and in her life experiences, and she is well traveled and has lived in the four continents.

The structure is mostly episodic, but that changes in the last volume where to tie things off, she does a whole narrative arc. It's very predictable of course, in fact it loses a bit in the comic side of the equation, but it's a good end, you want a
happy, definitive end
to close this story.

Zweizer

Banned
Tachibanakan to Lie Angle ch9-14

Hanabi has become quite the two-timer. She should just be upfront with everyone, but I guess it would ruin the 'fun' of harem series.
Really liked the flashback chapter with Yuu and Yoriko. Adult romances are nice.

Aho Girl ch85.5

The hero we need, but don't deserve.

The Ancient Magus Bride ch39

Elias is walking down one hell of a dark path. I hope Chise manages to stop him.

Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerous ch27

RIP Jakennou-chan.You will be missed.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch610

Guess this is her revenge.

DEAD Tube ch34

Another troublesome bunch appears. They are quite flashy.

upandaway

Pocket Monsters - Festival of Champions 0-2

Oh yeah, I can tell this is gonna be fun. The art's so good. It's great seeing newer characters in a classic art style too. This is pushing all of my buttons.

Ascheroth

No Guns Life Vol. 4 (19-24)
Quite the nice volume again, which opens with Juzo facing off against another Gun Slave Unit + Hands combo and taking quite the beating.
There is a new curious job for our favorite hardboiled gunhead detective about 'exorzising' an 'Extender Ghost', a new quirky companion and a shocking reunion with Mary's brother Victor.
Some more bits and pieces about Juzo's past as well.

It ends with a pretty evil cliffhanger, too.

Zweizer

Banned
Their Story ch139

It's good that Qiu Tong accepts all of Sun Jing's traits.

Though her weight is a bit harder to accept (physically).

A Meal With Hokusai Is All I Need ch2

When life give you eggs, oil, and vinegar, you make mayonnaise out of it. Seems like she made a quite interesting friend. Let's see if they can combine their strengths and continue obtaining good food for cheap.

Really though, she should just skip the self-congratulation and photo. That'll cut it down to just an hour!

Folks keep telling me that my food is like witchcraft. It's true.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch611

Watch it backfire on her.

Madoka - Akuma Homura to the End (SFW doujin)

woZoI8d.png

Sure, you keep telling yourself that. I approve of how much attention this author gives to the Clara Dolls (here and elsewhere), but its counterbalanced by their garbage portrayal of garbage Kyubey. And the lacklustre art. Still, even with the shortcomings, I'll take whatever HomuraEX I can get.

Folks keep telling me that my food is like witchcraft. It's true.
Wait, does this mean we're comrades in poisonous cooking, or does it mean you're actually one of the Elite 10?

Cooking rice takes 40 minutes?!
It depends on the kind of rice (like white rice generally cooks faster than brown). Not that you should listen to anything I say about cooking.

Top Bottom