• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man |OT| This is How you Shot Web

Dartastic

Probably a question that already came up...

but doesnt it spoil the movie?

I have my copy installing now, but do I have to wait til after I see the movie on Wednesday?
I'd wait a bit. It does spoil something that is in my opinion, is kinda an important plot bit of the movie. :/

catabarez

It's about $10 on amazon, I'm probably gonna get it there. If Spider-man 3 and Ultimate Spider-man run well and have controller support I wanna get those as well.

I decided to bite on Spider-man 3 and Web of Shadows for PC. It was only about $20 altogether. I'll update you guys and let you know how they run.

anastazius

Neo Member
Important for UK owners / non-Amazon USA Stan Lee pre-orderers: not sure if this is old news, but here's confirmation that the Stan Lee DLC will be available for purchase from 360 marketplace and PSN 30 days after launch:

The Stan Lee Adventure Pack will be available to purchase seperately on Xbox live and the PlayStation Network 30 days after the launch of the Amazing Spider-Man. This offer is exclusive to GAME Group.

link

Looks like I'll wait a few weeks so I get the chance to see the film. And work through my backlog of Deus Ex HR, Nier, Forza 4, Castlevania LoS and Deadly Premonition..

dandoolan

It took me 16 hours to 95% the game. All I have left are the ridiculous collectables that are in the chapters themselves. Such as the audio evidence, magazines and other such nonsense.

Over all I honestly think this might be the best spider-man game on the whole. Sure it has flaws, but it gets so much right. I'll probably be shot for saying this, but webrush should become a standard in Spider-man games. It came in handy so often.

Double D

Just beat it. Really enjoyed it. It's the best Spider-Man game I've played since '2'.

Redbox Challenge status: Complete
Total Cost: $4.00

Scapegoat

So I've been excited about this game but I watched a few videos/quick looks - am I correct in assuming the webslinging is relatively automatic now compared to how it used to be?

What I mean is it sounds like you just hold down RT and Spidey will websling forward, the game automatically choosing when you shoot another web and when to let go. What I remember from Spiderman 2 is being able to choose when you shoot a web, kicking into the swing to get more momentum, choosing when you release, and then arcing downward before slinging again right at the last moment.

Can I still do this?

So I've been excited about this game but I watched a few videos/quick looks - am I correct in assuming the webslinging is relatively automatic now compared to how it used to be?

What I mean is it sounds like you just hold down RT and Spidey will websling forward, the game automatically choosing when you shoot another web and when to let go. What I remember from Spiderman 2 is being able to choose when you shoot a web, kicking into the swing to get more momentum, choosing when you release, and then arcing downward before slinging again right at the last moment.

Can I still do this?

It works kind of like assasins creed. If you just hold the rt it will automatically choose when to sling and keep moving you forward, you still control the direction.

Or you can just manually press it when you want to fire the web (which is what i like todo so i can soar through the air), however what you cant do (which i hate) is stay suspended on your one web and just hang there staying still. If you hold the rt it will then just fire off another web and keep going, so you cant really just stay suspended which is what i used to love in spidey 2.

Otherwise it still feels awesome and with the zoomed in camera it makes it feel even more realisitic.

The loss of the ability to fire 2 webs at the same time and stay suspended is annoying and being about to web sling seemingly into nothing (if you look up at the sky you can still web sling forward thus lifting yourself straight up) are my only gripes with the webbing.

Still a great game, just wish it had more little things todo in the city, collecting comics is fun and ive wasted hours just slinging around the city, but alot more random crimes e.t.c would be nice.

I just rented this, 5 nights for $7. I'm really excited to play it, and I'm also reasonably sure I'll be able to see everything the game has to offer in that amount of time

god dammit i don't have any dlc available to me. I want that classic spider-man costume SOOO badly.

just let me give you my money, activision, jeez.

Cth

The game was supposed to come with a pair of tickets to the movie, but it's some movie cash thing. You enter a code on a website and get a certificate to print and use at a participating theater...only the website doesn't work - says 'requested URL not found'

www.activisionmoviecash.com/TheAmazingSpiderManMovieTicket

Dumb question possibly, but I didnt see a code on the back of the 360 or ps3 versions here.

What versions have the code?

Salaadin

The more I play this, the more I enjoy it.

Its my first Beenox Spidey game and I really like what theyve done. Combat is like a more button mashey Arkham Asylum. It works and its very fun.
Web swinging is also great but it is cloud swinging and can look ridiculous when Spidey obviously attaches to some invisible platform in the sky. This is a minor complaint though. I really thought itd bug me more than it does.

I didnt look to see who it is yet but I also really like Spideys voice actor.

vdlow

Saw this and remembered of this thread.

naughty-memes-fuck-physics.gif

Has their been any explanation on why Beenox chose to go the cloud swinging route?

I'm sure they had to know SM2-style swinging was high on the wishlists of many and cloud swinging would be an automatically no-buy for a lot of people, so there must have been a compelling reason. I'm just curious if they've communicated it.

I'll FINALLY be able to start playing this in a couple hours. Just a little more work to get done, and I'll be free to marathon this for as long as I want. I'm excited

Has their been any explanation on why Beenox chose to go the cloud swinging route?

I'm sure they had to know SM2-style swinging was high on the wishlists of many and cloud swinging would be an automatically no-buy for a lot of people, so there must have been a compelling reason. I'm just curious if they've communicated it.

Good question, but I doubt you'd ever get an honest answer. I imagine it'd be something about "accessibility" or "a different focus".

dandoolan

Good question, but I doubt you'd ever get an honest answer. I imagine it'd be something about "accessibility" or "a different focus".

In my opinion, I think 'accessibility' is the honest answer.

After playing the game you can clearly see they were trying to make web swinging fun without having it's own built in learning curve, so anyone can pick up an immediately feel like the wall crawler himself, pulling off spectacular feats. And they absolutely succeeded, I had a blast web swinging in this game and definitely feel anyone can pick it up. And this is coming from someone who was disappointed to discover they were not borrowing from Spider-man 2's web swinging.

Interestingly it made me feel more like an actual superhero because these amazing feats were so much more effortless, although this naturally decreased the satisfaction levels in pulling off amazing things. So win and loose on that front.

So after finally getting my 360 back today, I was able to play this. Someone should tell Beenox that the 360 can handle AA. Dear god the jaggies are bad :p

The combat is pretty fun. It's not as solid or refined as Arkham, but it's still fun.

The Web Rush is kinda cool too. That said, I wish you could turn off the Web Rush icons when just swinging around the city. I am sick of seeing yellow icons pop up everywhere. I would rather see the icons only when I hold down the Web Rush button.

I wouldn't mind an option to turn off the QTE's either. If my Spidey senses go off, I should know to press Y to dodge. If I fuck it up, then that's my fault for failing to see my Spidey senses tingle.

The swinging around the city is fun, but for me, it's also its biggest flaw. There is just no weight to it. You hold RT to swing. You can let go, do a jump or spin mid air, then press again to keep going, or just hold it continuesly to just keep swinging.

When swinging, you can just move left or right to change direction mid swing. As opposed to games like Ultimate Spiderman where you would have to let go mid air, change direction, then press swing again in order to change direction. You couldn't simply just change direction.

It doesn't ruin the game, but it still feels kinda sloppy to me. I bet they'll add this feature in with DLC.

I might only be an hour in, and whilst it's not perfect, I am still having fun :)

Finished it this morning after renting it over the weekend. Overall, quite liked it, best Spiderman game since 2. Web-swinging isn't as fun as 2 but it's still pretty fun.

Missions are kinda boring, but hey what else can you do as Spiderman?

Would have loved to see some references to classic characters from the Universe.

Will give it 6/10. Worth a rental.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
ASM wasn't even something I was considering buying until checking out some video reviews of the game. After salivating over those I picked the game up, and while it's nowhere near as good as Rocksteady's Batman games, it's not bad.

Only a few chapters in, but my thoughts so far...

-Cloud swinging doesn't bother me much as I'm too busy scanning the environment for comic book pages

- I can't believe this game doesn't have the classic black costume or even the original red and blue costume as unlockables! Negative zone costume looks interesting, but the rest of them all suck. I guess I should mention that I stopped reading Spidey comics around 1990, so they're all weird to me.

- Combat is merely ok and lacks that "impact" that Rocksteady seemed to get so right in the Batman games.

- Character model looks fantastic as does the city. Just standing on top of a building and panning the camera around is really something.

- Side missions are kinda meh. I'm not too far in, but does it go beyond "photograph this", or protecting a citizen from a mugging?

- Any other "classic" characters besides Rhino? I think for this reason alone Shattered Dimensions remains my favorite Spidey game.

catabarez

I got Spider-Man 3 and Web of Shadows in the mail. I just installed and played 3 and am glad to say that it has native 360 controller support. The game runs really well on my rig, but I can't imagine that it is exactly a demanding game. So far there has been nothing wrong with this port other than a little pop in, it still looks pretty good though.

Everyone that is interested in getting this for the PC it's only like $9 on Amazon.

I'm installing Web of Shadows now and will let you know how that runs.

I got Spider-Man 3 and Web of Shadows in the mail. I just installed and played 3 and am glad to say that it has native 360 controller support. The game runs really well on my rig, but I can't imagine that it is exactly a demanding game. So far there has been nothing wrong with this port other than a little pop in, it still looks pretty good though.

Everyone that is interested in getting this for the PC it's only like $9 on Amazon.

I'm installing Web of Shadows now and will let you know how that runs.
pennyarcadesm3.jpg

Web of Shadows managed to do the whole cloud-swinging thing a little more gracefully than this game, but i actually prefer a little cloud swinging and suspension of disbelief if it means I have tighter control of spider-man when he's swinging.

if the game is allowed to fudge the length of spidey's web, it means you wont accidentally have a swing arc that collides you into the ground, or be attached to a building in such a way that you can't make the turn you want to make. they coulda made it look a little better, sure, but it's hard to argue that spider-man 2 actually played better because of its "realistic spider webs."

catabarez

Played through a good chunk of Web of Shadows on PC and it has controller support as well. This game is insanely fun, I wasn't sure if this would work with a controller. Time to sell my 360 version :p Everyone with a good PC needs to get this game! It's only $11 on Amazon.

Now I just need to find an inexpensive copy of Ultimate Spider-Man and I'll be done.

Edit: Don't forget to update it to 1.1 it helps performance a lot.

Played through a good chunk of Web of Shadows on PC and it has controller support as well. This game is insanely fun, I wasn't sure if this would work with a controller. Time to sell my 360 version :p Everyone with a good PC needs to get this game! It's only $11 on Amazon.

Now I just need to find an inexpensive copy of Ultimate Spider-Man and I'll be done.

Good to hear. That game had huge framerate issues on consoles, made it virtually unplayable in certain sections. I'll pick it up.

Poyunch

Web of Shadows had cloud-swinging? I don't remember that at all. It may not have been as deep as Spider-man 2 but webs surely didn't connect to giant clouds in the sky.

catabarez

Web of Shadows had cloud-swinging? I don't remember that at all. It may not have been as deep as Spider-man 2 but webs surely didn't connect to giant clouds in the sky.

I just played it. It does but is pretty subtle about it. I was on a roof and the closest buildings weren't close enough to get a good anchor point and I still attached to something.

yeah it definitely had cloud swinging. both web of shadows and amazing spider-man use clever algorithms to make sure you can only swing from a web when you're nearby buildings to swing off of so you don't end up swinging over the empire state building. web of shadows just did a better job of hiding the cloud swinging.

for my money, web of shadows has the best swinging mechanics, giving you glorious control over your height and trajectory, but it's never looked cooler than in ASM.

I wish these games would go up on the digital services. From what I understand, the deals Activision had with Marvel didn't include digital distribution, or something along those lines. None of the Marvel games have digital releases. Xmen Legends, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, all the Spider-Man games, Xmen Origins Wolverine, etc. I'd rebuy a good number of those on GoG or Steam.

That's why Amazing Spider-Man coming to PC is surprising. Finally, a digital release!

I still have my limited edition for PS2 :) I just wanna get this game to see how well they run on PC. For science!

Started playing it last week on my i7 laptop. Runs like a dream. It wouldnt work properly with the 360 controller. I had to download a 3rd party program to play it properly. Once installed, it was fine though :)

catabarez

Started playing it last week on my i7 laptop. Runs like a dream. It wouldnt work properly with the 360 controller. I had to download a 3rd party program to play it properly. Once installed, it was fine though :)

How does it look? Should I get it for my PC Spider-Man collection? Also where did you buy it? :p

Top Bottom