• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Kusagari
Member
(09-13-2017, 05:19 PM)
Kusagari's Avatar
There's like five movies in that 2019 list that could conceivably clear 500m.
LordOfLore
Banned
(09-13-2017, 05:21 PM)
Ford on punching Gosling.
WhiteRabbitEXE
Member
(09-13-2017, 05:24 PM)
WhiteRabbitEXE's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

I mean, I'm pretty sure it's going over 850.

I've learned from my IT foolishness. I'm not backing down on this one.

Damn.

I mean, I've been all in on Lion King being fucknormous since day 0. But that's even bolder than I've ever been on it.

I could totes get behind that though.
Jawmuncher
(09-13-2017, 05:29 PM)
Jawmuncher's Avatar
Lion King is gonna be fucking ridiculous. Disney getting some easy money out of the live-action adaptions.

I know it's a stretch but it'd be cool to see live-action adaption for their later stuff that would actually fit into pretty well. Mainly Atlantis and Treasure Planet.
3N16MA
Banned
(09-13-2017, 05:32 PM)
3N16MA's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

I mean, I'm pretty sure it's going over 850.

I've learned from my IT foolishness. I'm not backing down on this one.

I think you brought up the possibility of 1B DOM awhile back. Go all out.
BronsonLee
Banned
(09-13-2017, 05:33 PM)
Bobby must be stopped
Spine_Ripper
Member
(09-13-2017, 05:39 PM)
Spine_Ripper's Avatar

Originally Posted by Galactic Specter

Between IT and Annabelle 2, I bet Paramount is starting to second think their cancellation of the Friday the 13th reboot.

That and the game somehow being a breakout hit all summer long. Paramount really fucked that one up and I'm still upset about it lol.
Bookoo
Member
(09-13-2017, 05:40 PM)

Originally Posted by DarkLordMalik

The only issue is that Get Out wasn't a 'horror' movie.

Why wasn't Get Out a horror movie? Even though I didn't find it particularly scary it was sold as a horror movie.
Jawmuncher
(09-13-2017, 05:42 PM)
Jawmuncher's Avatar

Originally Posted by Spine_Ripper

That and the game somehow being a breakout hit all summer long. Paramount really fucked that one up and I'm still upset about it lol.

Yeah the cancellation of Friday the 13th was dumb as hell. Jason is a big name. All it needs is a fresh idea and a good overall RT. You have both of those things you're at the least gonna get your money back.
Bobby Roberts
Banned
(09-13-2017, 05:42 PM)

Originally Posted by 3N16MA

I think you brought up the possibility of 1B DOM awhile back. Go all out.

I didn't wanna go that far, but I have been pretty consistent in saying if anything's going to do it before 2020, it's gonna be that.

I don't know that it will, but I believe that'll be the best shot at it.
Sweeney Tom
Banned
(09-13-2017, 05:43 PM)
With the cast Lion King already has, it's easily surpassing 800mil
Toa TAK
Banned
(09-13-2017, 05:49 PM)
I'll say it then:

Lion King to make 1 Billion WW, baby.
BronsonLee
Banned
(09-13-2017, 05:51 PM)
Oh really reaching there
WhiteRabbitEXE
Member
(09-13-2017, 05:52 PM)
WhiteRabbitEXE's Avatar
Team $2bn worldwide.

$900m domestic.

this movie is still 2 years away
3N16MA
Banned
(09-13-2017, 05:58 PM)
3N16MA's Avatar

Originally Posted by Toa TAK

I'll say it then:

Lion King to make 1 Billion WW, baby.

I like making bold predictions. I'm in on this one.
DarkLordMalik
Member
(09-13-2017, 06:24 PM)
DarkLordMalik's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bookoo

Why wasn't Get Out a horror movie? Even though I didn't find it particularly scary it was sold as a horror movie.

It was a horror movie just like Sixth Sense was one. Since people in this thread don't consider Sixth Sense horror, I guess the same applies to Get Out.

I'd say that Sixth Sense had more 'horror' elements while Get Out had more 'thriller' elements.
kswiston
Member
(09-13-2017, 09:04 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by DarkLordMalik

It was a horror movie just like Sixth Sense was one. Since people in this thread don't consider Sixth Sense horror, I guess the same applies to Get Out.

I'd say that Sixth Sense had more 'horror' elements while Get Out had more 'thriller' elements.

IT is going to pass everything that can remotely be considered a horror film domestically, so we won't have to split hairs.
Sesha
Member
(09-13-2017, 09:14 PM)
Sesha's Avatar
With how horror movies have been doing, studios seem keen on dumping a bunch of stuff that previously would've been DTV.

Originally Posted by kswiston

Disney is going for $4B domestic in 2019 instead.

I count six films that have a good shot at $300M+ domestic. Some way over $300M.

Is $5B possible?
Grizzlyjin
Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
(09-13-2017, 09:19 PM)
Grizzlyjin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sesha

With how horror movies have been doing, studios seem keen on dumping a bunch of stuff that previously would've been DTV.

I've noticed that too. I was shocked Kidnap actually got a theatrical release. And now Friend Request too. Guess they're rolling the dice that they'll get a breakout hit.
Bobby Roberts
Banned
(09-13-2017, 09:20 PM)
Yeah, the race for IT now is to see whether or not it can beat Mel Gibson's Splatterchrist as the #1 all-time R-rated film.

(I *think* that's an AICN reference from back in the day. I remember it stuck with me though)
Lights and Waves
(09-13-2017, 09:28 PM)

Originally Posted by DarkJediKnight

To me the most shocking aspect is that IT was made on a 35mil budget. I am shocked by that. I'm sure the marketing budget had to be at least another 30mil because they really promoted the he'll out of this movie.

I mean. If you watch the movie, it isn't really a shock that it cost so little. There's isn't anything really expensive about what's on screen. I wouldn't be surprised if they spent more money advertising it than they did making it.
berzeli
Banned
(09-13-2017, 09:29 PM)
Paramount Doom Watch™:
So the trailer for Downsizing has been out for 24h, and it's not setting the world on fire, don't worry I'm only using this as a measure of interest, not as a predictor of box office results. It also had a much chillier reception at Toronto, now I had Downsizing at $60-70m total for my "how fucked is Para" calculation with about ~$20-30m in 2017.
boxoffice.com has the following predictions:
mother! $38,400,000 <- possbile
Suburbicon $45,000,000 <- unlikely

So with Downsizing looking kind of dire, all that is left is Daddy's Home 2.
Basically what I'm saying is that Paramount is fucked.
DarkLordMalik
Member
(09-13-2017, 09:29 PM)
DarkLordMalik's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sesha

With how horror movies have been doing, studios seem keen on dumping a bunch of stuff that previously would've been DTV.

I hope Child's Play also comes back with a well made Remake. Scariest shit for me as a kid but kind of hilarious now.
GhaleonEB
Member
(09-13-2017, 09:35 PM)
GhaleonEB's Avatar

Originally Posted by LordOfLore

Ford on punching Gosling.

Great interview.

I ask him what this new Indiana Jones movie will need to be in order to have him fully engaged.

“Funded,” he replies.

LOL

One key to understanding Harrison Ford, I think, is that the face he often presents to the world, that no-nonsense pragmatism, hides not cynicism but its opposite. When I speak to Villeneuve, he is, of course, full of praise for his star, but he seems genuinely taken aback by the enthusiasm with which Harrison Ford approached each day: “He told me that there's something that he is still mesmerized and amazed by, which is the fact that if you put a few dozen people together, a camera, a dolly pusher, a makeup artist, everybody working, creating a choreography, and that at one moment in time and space, there will be magic happening in front of the camera because everybody is working together. And that moment of poetry that happens is still a miracle for him. That is something that still brings joy to him. That's what he said to me.”

I love the idea that Harrison Ford might ever feel like that—that moment of poetry that happens—even if he is possibly the last person on Earth who would say it to me. When he gets asked directly about acting, he likes to talk about “problem-solving” and how his job is to make himself useful. There is seemingly no end to the ways Harrison Ford can try to make acting seem mundane, and after a while I point out that most of his peers have a much more mystical view of what they do, in terms of inhabiting other worlds and other characters—

“Well, I do that too,” he says, interrupting me. “I do that too, but”—another laugh—“I don't talk about it.”

And then he explains why.

“It's nobody's fucking business!”

PhoncipleBone
Banned
(09-13-2017, 09:42 PM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

Yeah, the race for IT now is to see whether or not it can beat Mel Gibson's Splatterchrist as the #1 all-time R-rated film.

(I *think* that's an AICN reference from back in the day. I remember it stuck with me though)

I always referred to it as Lethal Christ.
RastaMentality
Member
(09-13-2017, 09:44 PM)
RastaMentality's Avatar
The big question is though: Will Lion King beat Frozen at the BO that year especially with the dates disney put out? I'm sure it's gonna have huge legs too.

Someone said TLK's trailer just needs to be the circle of life and it'll hype everybody up and I really agree. That's still a top 5 cinematic opening to a film.
PhoncipleBone
Banned
(09-13-2017, 09:47 PM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar

Originally Posted by RastaMentality

Someone said TLK's trailer just needs to be the circle of life and it'll hype everybody up and I really agree. That's still a top 5 cinematic opening to a film.

I was one of the people saying that should be the trailer. Just do Circle of Life, and end with the title and release date on the screen, and don't show anything else. Hell, keep that the sole trailer and be done with it.

Now I am just imagining the bowel loosening bass from that drum beat as the title appears on screen when the song ends.
kswiston
Member
(09-13-2017, 09:48 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by RastaMentality

The big question is though: Will Lion King beat Frozen at the BO that year especially with the dates disney put out? I'm sure it's gonna have huge legs too.

Someone said TLK's trailer just needs to be the circle of life and it'll hype everybody up and I really agree. That's still a top 5 cinematic opening to a film.


I wouldn't bet on Frozen 2 passing Frozen 1 worldwide or domestically.


And the entire Lion King trailer/teaser should just be the circle of Life beginning bit. (EDIT: Or basically, I agree with Phoniciple)
PhoncipleBone
Banned
(09-13-2017, 09:49 PM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar
Glad we are all on the same page about the Lion King trailer being solely Circle of Life.
RastaMentality
Member
(09-13-2017, 09:52 PM)
RastaMentality's Avatar

Originally Posted by PhoncipleBone

I was one of the people saying that should be the trailer. Just do Circle of Life, and end with the title and release date on the screen, and don't show anything else. Hell, keep that the sole trailer and be done with it.

Now I am just imagining the bowel loosening bass from that drum beat as the title appears on screen when the song ends.

imagine that trailer in theaters attached to infinity war/ star wars2018. immense hype.
kswiston
Member
(09-13-2017, 09:55 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by berzeli

Paramount Doom Watch™:
So the trailer for Downsizing has been out for 24h, and it's not setting the world on fire, don't worry I'm only using this as a measure of interest, not as a predictor of box office results. It also had a much chillier reception at Toronto, now I had Downsizing at $60-70m total for my "how fucked is Para" calculation with about ~$20-30m in 2017.
boxoffice.com has the following predictions:
mother! $38,400,000 <- possbile
Suburbicon $45,000,000 <- unlikely

So with Downsizing looking kind of dire, all that is left is Daddy's Home 2.
Basically what I'm saying is that Paramount is fucked.

I wanted to say that I admire your dedication to this cause. What was the goal of your tracking again? Under a particular past year for Paramount, or under a certain dollar gross? I doubt that Paramount hits $600M this year.

Originally Posted by PhoncipleBone

Glad we are all on the same page about the Lion King trailer being solely Circle of Life.

It should be the easiest teaser cut in history. Have Beyonce take Elton John's English part.
PhoncipleBone
Banned
(09-13-2017, 09:57 PM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar

Originally Posted by kswiston

It should be the easiest teaser cut in history. Have Beyonce take Elton John's English part.

But in the film itself, Elton doesn't sing it. It is just the female vocalist. That's the one I want in the trailer. But would be awesome with Beyonce belting it out.
kswiston
Member
(09-13-2017, 09:59 PM)
kswiston's Avatar

Originally Posted by PhoncipleBone

But in the film itself, Elton doesn't sing it. It is just the female vocalist. That's the one I want in the trailer. But would be awesome with Beyonce belting it out.

You are correct now that I think about it. I just watched The Lion King with my kid a few weeks back too...
berzeli
Banned
(09-13-2017, 10:09 PM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

I wanted to say that I admire your dedication to this cause. What was the goal of your tracking again? Under a particular past year for Paramount, or under a certain dollar gross? I doubt that Paramount hits $600M this year.

It's mostly for my own amusement. I also nearly overdosed on the Viacom corporate drama when that went down.

Worst year in the 2000s (because that's a neat number and coincidentally mojo only has studio market share going back to 2000). Paramount's worst year so far is 2004 with $628 million, so they need to make $237.3 million this year to beat that. Which is not looking likely. At all.
Miles X
Member
(09-13-2017, 10:20 PM)
Miles X's Avatar

Originally Posted by berzeli

It's mostly for my own amusement. I also nearly overdosed on the Viacom corporate drama when that went down.

Worst year in the 2000s (because that's a neat number and coincidentally mojo only has studio market share going back to 2000). Paramount's worst year so far is 2004 with $628 million, so they need to make $237.3 million this year to beat that. Which is not looking likely. At all.

You can sort of see why Paramount churn out these Transformer movies, it's their only real big hitter aside from MI, and it's dying.
Mrbob
how can the baaasheep
enjoy the shootbang?
(09-13-2017, 10:20 PM)
Mrbob's Avatar

Originally Posted by 3N16MA

Didn't realize Aladdin was getting the old SW spot. Four 1B films in the summer is still on.

Some of these are conservative and others are just using the previous films gross.

Captain Marvel - 200M
Dumbo - 150M
Avengers 4 - 460M
Aladdin - 400M
Toy Story 4 - 400M
The Lion King - 500M
Frozen 2 - 400M
Mulan - 300M (Is this still 2019?)
Episode 9 - 800M

That is 3.61B with a couple of films missing.

Maybe I should load up on Disney stock now and buy my yacht in 2020.
Sibersk Esto
Banned
(09-13-2017, 11:48 PM)
11.4m Tuesday for IT, wow.
kswiston
Member
(09-14-2017, 12:00 AM)
kswiston's Avatar
Tracking is saying mid 50s for IT this weekend.
PhoncipleBone
Banned
(09-14-2017, 12:01 AM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar

Originally Posted by kswiston

Tracking is saying mid 50s for IT this weekend.

Let's see if weekend 2 blows away tracking too.

Either way, ITs second weekend haul will still be higher than the previous September opening record.
Biggest-Geek-Ever
Member
(09-14-2017, 12:02 AM)
Biggest-Geek-Ever's Avatar
If the trailer for Lion King features Circle of Life, it's liable to break youtube.
Bobby Roberts
Banned
(09-14-2017, 12:08 AM)
Just the black screen snapping to orange as the sun rises with that "Naaaaaaaaaants" ringing out is gonna cause people to lose it.

Imagine being in a theater, the green band comes up, goes away, and you have no idea what's about to drop, and suddenly that sunrise is comin up.

"NAAAAAAAAAAAAANTS"

ohshitohshitisthisthefuckinLIONKINGwhatthefuck.
PhoncipleBone
Banned
(09-14-2017, 12:11 AM)
PhoncipleBone's Avatar
What I been saying. Such a simple and hype trailer. Then the visuals will look like a nature documentary.
George Oscar Bluth II
Banned
(09-14-2017, 12:13 AM)
Yeah, The Lion King is gonna be huge. Like, close to $1bn domestic huge (yeah, I'm going there).
kswiston
Member
(09-14-2017, 12:21 AM)
kswiston's Avatar
As long as none of you are making "what went wrong?" posts/threads if we get BatB numbers instead.
Grizzlyjin
Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
(09-14-2017, 12:24 AM)
Grizzlyjin's Avatar

Originally Posted by George Oscar Bluth II

Yeah, The Lion King is gonna be huge. Like, close to $1bn domestic huge (yeah, I'm going there).

I'm there with you. I think it's going to be bigger than Beauty and the Beast for sure.

I don't know anything about numbers. I thought going to $55m OW for IT was too bullish.

What are we thinking the next movie to enter the $2B range WW is? Infinity War? Lion King?
wachie
Member
(09-14-2017, 12:29 AM)
wachie's Avatar

Originally Posted by 3N16MA

Didn't realize Aladdin was getting the old SW spot. Four 1B films in the summer is still on.

Some of these are conservative and others are just using the previous films gross.

Captain Marvel - 200M
Dumbo - 150M
Avengers 4 - 460M
Aladdin - 400M
Toy Story 4 - 400M
The Lion King - 500M
Frozen 2 - 400M
Mulan - 300M (Is this still 2019?)
Episode 9 - 800M

That is 3.61B with a couple of films missing.

Frozen 2 is going to blow past 400M. I'm thinking Toy Story 4 will be 350-400M.
Toa TAK
Banned
(09-14-2017, 12:42 AM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

As long as none of you are making "what went wrong?" posts/threads if we get BatB numbers instead.

So you're calling dibs, I see.
broncobuster
Banned
(09-14-2017, 12:51 AM)

Originally Posted by 3N16MA

Didn't realize Aladdin was getting the old SW spot. Four 1B films in the summer is still on.

Some of these are conservative and others are just using the previous films gross.

Captain Marvel - 200M
Dumbo - 150M
Avengers 4 - 460M
Aladdin - 400M
Toy Story 4 - 400M
The Lion King - 500M
Frozen 2 - 400M
Mulan - 300M (Is this still 2019?)
Episode 9 - 800M

That is 3.61B with a couple of films missing.

Captain Marvel too low, unless they supremely screw up, and possibly Mulan too high. For some reason I don't recall Mulan being super popular, aside from make a man out of you song.
MindCollizion
Member
(09-14-2017, 12:52 AM)
Fuck episode nine I'm going to go see Lion King and Aladdin. Lion King will make more than episode nine.
Gentleman Jack
Member
(09-14-2017, 12:59 AM)
Gentleman Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by broncobuster

Captain Marvel too low, unless they supremely screw up, and possibly Mulan too high. For some reason I don't recall Mulan being super popular, aside from make a man out of you song.

Just bring back a wide release of the Szechuan sauce, 2 bil domestic guaranteed

Thread Tools