• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Maklershed
Member
(08-20-2017, 02:06 PM)
Maklershed's Avatar


Resources:
http://fftoolbox.scout.com/football/
https://www.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/
http://www.fftoday.com/
https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl
http://www.borischen.co/

Podcasts:
The Audible
Fantasy Focus Football
The Fantasy Footballers
Fantasy Football Today
The Most Accurate Podcast

Twitter Analysts by Accuracy Ranking:
@the_oddsmaker
@JeffRatcliffe
@BillEnright
@TheRealTAL
@RealDaveMajor
@4for4_John
@justinboone
@ScoutFantasy
@jaywrong
@mattkdelima
Beach
Member
(08-20-2017, 03:11 PM)
Was wondering when the thread would be up this year, thanks for making.

Already posted but highly recommend the Fantasy Footballers Podcast. That and always draft on tiers! If I ever see someone drafting off a top 200 list or anything of the sort I get sick. CBS actually updated their tiers list a couple of days ago.
Maklershed
Member
(08-20-2017, 04:01 PM)
Maklershed's Avatar

Originally Posted by Beach

Was wondering when the thread would be up this year, thanks for making.

Already posted but highly recommend the Fantasy Footballers Podcast. That and always draft on tiers! If I ever see someone drafting off a top 200 list or anything of the sort I get sick. CBS actually updated their tiers list a couple of days ago.

Yeah I've been listening to them recently in lieu of Fantasy Football Today, which I loved but all the guys on their have pretty low analyst rankings and I was getting annoyed with how they'd contradict each other constantly. So far the Footballers is pretty great. I like their analysis .. and ability to agree on things. Haha

And yeah tiers are good. I have a cheat sheet where it's ranking and tier but I should probably get rid of the rank # column so I don't focus on it so much.


Unrelated: something I've been curious about for whoever reads this - do you consider strength of schedule for a player when drafting? Last year I put a green dot next to whoever had an easy schedule and a red dot next to whoever had a tough one and if two players were close to each other in the tier/rankings I'd pick the green one but I'm not sure if it helped nor not.
Last edited by Maklershed; 08-20-2017 at 04:05 PM.
GK86
Homeland Security Fail
(08-20-2017, 07:56 PM)
GK86's Avatar
I will have to check out that podcast.
Beach
Member
(08-20-2017, 08:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Maklershed


Unrelated: something I've been curious about for whoever reads this - do you consider strength of schedule for a player when drafting? Last year I put a green dot next to whoever had an easy schedule and a red dot next to whoever had a tough one and if two players were close to each other in the tier/rankings I'd pick the green one but I'm not sure if it helped nor not.

Eh, I make a it a priority to draft best player overall possible and then let depth take care of matchups through out the season.
gutshot
Member
(08-23-2017, 03:17 PM)
gutshot's Avatar
Subbed. And gonna go ahead and plug my Trade Evaluator tool. I'll be updating it with the new trade rankings, once Dave Richard publishes them.
anarchycupcake
Junior Member
(08-23-2017, 03:36 PM)
anarchycupcake's Avatar
I'm having trouble picking my 3rd keeper this year. I've already decided on keeping Tom Brady and LeSean McCoy, but here are the rest of my options:

Julian Edelman
Mark Ingram
Dion Lewis
Antonio Gates
Steven Hauschka
Zach Brown
Luke Kuechly
Mike Gillislee
Mike Evans
Blake Bortles
Jeremy Hill
Will Fuller
Michael Thomas

I'm a fantasy/football noob but I really want to win my pool for the pride of it, so I'd appreciate any help I could get.
gutshot
Member
(08-23-2017, 03:45 PM)
gutshot's Avatar
Mike Evans, for sure.
BronsonLee
(08-23-2017, 03:46 PM)
BronsonLee's Avatar
I went from 2nd place/scoring title 1st year in (picked up Freeman and Reed off waivers) to losing a bunch (all of my team got IR'd)

I MUST FIGHT
heckmanimation
Member
(08-23-2017, 03:49 PM)
heckmanimation's Avatar

Originally Posted by anarchycupcake

I'm a fantasy/football noob but I really want to win my pool for the pride of it, so I'd appreciate any help I could get.

iwould say mike evans and michael thomas over brady

im drafting after labor day, gotta start researching!

edit: but thats because i dont like brady. nor believe in him, plus plenty of other fine qbs
Last edited by heckmanimation; 08-24-2017 at 09:26 PM.
phanphare
Member
(08-23-2017, 03:55 PM)
phanphare's Avatar
sub'd

just drafted in one of my leagues yesterday. feeling semi good about my team.
Tom Nook
(08-23-2017, 04:27 PM)
Tom Nook's Avatar
*Subscribed* It's that time again!

Sleeperbot team: .5 PPR

QB: Drew Brees
RB: David Johnson
RB: Leonard Fournette
WR: Terrelle Pryor
WR: Stefon Diggs
TE: Jimmy Graham
FLEX: Emmanuel Sanders
K: Dan Bailey
DEF - DEN

Bench:
Rex Burkhead
Austin Seferian-Jenkins
Marcus Mariota
Rob Kelley
Corey Davis
Joe Williams

Tocobell League:

Draft Day on Sept 2
natjjohn
Member
(08-23-2017, 04:33 PM)
natjjohn's Avatar

Originally Posted by anarchycupcake

I'm having trouble picking my 3rd keeper this year. I've already decided on keeping Tom Brady and LeSean McCoy, but here are the rest of my options:

Julian Edelman
Mark Ingram
Dion Lewis
Antonio Gates
Steven Hauschka
Zach Brown
Luke Kuechly
Mike Gillislee
Mike Evans
Blake Bortles
Jeremy Hill
Will Fuller
Michael Thomas

I'm a fantasy/football noob but I really want to win my pool for the pride of it, so I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Evans for sure. Agree with ditching Brady and keeping Thomas. Unless a 2 QB league OR everybody's keeping QBs leaving you with a wasteland of choices.
PandaPandaPanda
Member
(08-23-2017, 05:20 PM)
PandaPandaPanda's Avatar
was my first year last year so I felt like I had some beginner's luck. I went into the draft knowing absolutely nothing and ended up with a pretty shitty team (drafted duke johnson jr, matt jones, jared cook etc)

I feel better equipped this year as I know what to look for and which teams are good/bad and general players to avoid, but I feel like i'll do even worse this year. I think the worst part is our office league is still doing standard again this year and not ppr

I think the worst part about it all is that we're drawing numbers out of a hat on draft day to decide the draft order so I can't really do any preparation other than mocks from random spots.
anarchycupcake
Junior Member
(08-24-2017, 05:15 AM)
anarchycupcake's Avatar

Originally Posted by heckmanimation

iwould say mike evans and michael thomas over brady

Originally Posted by gutshot

Mike Evans, for sure.

Originally Posted by natjjohn

Evans for sure. Agree with ditching Brady and keeping Thomas. Unless a 2 QB league OR everybody's keeping QBs leaving you with a wasteland of choices.

Thanks for the advice! Our league is big and almost everyone keeps their QBs, so I think I'll stick with Brady. But I'll definitely add Evans as my 3rd choice.
FloydtheFathead
Member
(08-24-2017, 06:00 PM)
FloydtheFathead's Avatar

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

I went from 2nd place/scoring title 1st year in (picked up Freeman and Reed off waivers) to losing a bunch (all of my team got IR'd)

I MUST FIGHT

Make sure you post your team again so I know who not to draft because you're bad luck Bronson
Omadahl
Member
(08-24-2017, 06:02 PM)
Omadahl's Avatar
My draft isn't until Sep 3rd and I'm desperately trying to remember who the hell plays for who. I'm a three-time champ in my 12-man league though so I'm sure it'll come back.
BronsonLee
(08-24-2017, 07:05 PM)
BronsonLee's Avatar

Originally Posted by FloydtheFathead

Make sure you post your team again so I know who not to draft because you're bad luck Bronson

Yo fuk u

HELP ME
FloydtheFathead
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:16 PM)
FloydtheFathead's Avatar

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

Yo fuk u

HELP ME

We can only do so much!!!
Dosia
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:30 PM)
Dosia's Avatar
Drafted last Saturday for a 12 team standard.

QB Tom Brady, NE QB
RB Derrick Henry, Ten RB
RB Jonathan Stewart, Car RB
WR Julio Jones, Atl WR
WR Michael Thomas, NO WR
TE Greg Olsen, Car TE
FLEX Martavis Bryant, Pit WR SSPD
D/ST Giants D/ST D/ST
K Wil Lutz, NO K

BENCH

Doug Martin, TB RB SSPD
Stefon Diggs, Min WR
Rex Burkhead, NE RB Q
Jacquizz Rodgers, TB RB
Ted Ginn Jr., NO WR
Kenny Britt, Cle WR
Dion Lewis, NE RB

Hoping Dougie has a better yr bc my rbs are suspect.
UberTag
Member
(08-24-2017, 08:33 PM)
UberTag's Avatar
In all likelihood, the No Quitters league will have some openings next week for folks that are interested in joining GAF's longest running fantasy league (now entering its 9th season). Feel free to head over to the official league thread if you'd like to be wait listed for potential openings. I'll be sending out PMs on Monday to folks on the wait list depending on how many slots we have available to fill.
deadeye
Junior Member
(08-24-2017, 08:51 PM)
deadeye's Avatar
There is exactly 2 weeks before the Season starts!! I can't wait!!

Did my first draft this past Sunday.

10 team - PPR

QB- Cam Newton
WR - Julio Jones
WR - Golden Tate
WR - Jeremy Maclin
RB - Demarco Murray
RB - Lamar Miller
TE - Greg Olsen
Flex - Rishard Matthew
K- Sebastion Janikowski
DEF - Houston Texans
BN - Darren McFadden
BN - Derrick Henry
BN - CJ Anderson
BN - Tyler Lockett
BN - Marvin Jones
BN - Russel Wilson

What you think?
BronsonLee
(08-24-2017, 08:58 PM)
BronsonLee's Avatar

Originally Posted by FloydtheFathead

We can only do so much!!!

I want you to draft

everything
Maklershed
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:17 PM)
Maklershed's Avatar

Originally Posted by Omadahl

My draft isn't until Sep 3rd and I'm desperately trying to remember who the hell plays for who. I'm a three-time champ in my 12-man league though so I'm sure it'll come back.

Me every August: "Holy shit - ___ plays for ___ now?"

(Except for anyone traded to or from the Eagles)
Machine
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:18 PM)
Machine's Avatar
In my money league, I pick 7 out of 12. I'm curious as hell to see who drops to me. Draft is next Wednesday. Normally the first 6 off the board would be the top 3 WRs and the top 3 RBs but the Elliott suspension may make people hesitant to draft him so early. I'm not so sure I'd take him at 7 either. This is going to be interesting.
BronsonLee
(08-24-2017, 09:19 PM)
BronsonLee's Avatar
I've had the 11th pick in my 12 team PPR draft for 3 years in a row, it's baloney
Maklershed
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:20 PM)
Maklershed's Avatar
His adp indicates he's going in the back of the 2nd in a 12 team.
Dazzler
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:21 PM)
Dazzler's Avatar
Looking forward to reaching for Christian McCaffrey this year!
phanphare
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:26 PM)
phanphare's Avatar

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

I've had the 11th pick in my 12 team PPR draft for 3 years in a row, it's baloney

had the 11th pick in my league this year

on the one hand I love having two picks so close together

on the other hand man it feels bad seeing everybody go off the board while you wait and having to reach on players when it gets back to you.
heckmanimation
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:28 PM)
heckmanimation's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dazzler

Looking forward to reaching for Christian McCaffrey this year!

Be careful! Theres plenty of people on that team to vulture goal line touches like jstew and cam

Esp if youre not in a ppr league
JJH
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:28 PM)
Which rookie RB are people expecting to go off or at least have a decent year? I'm thinking Fournette since the others have somewhat crowded backfields.
heckmanimation
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:29 PM)
heckmanimation's Avatar

Originally Posted by phanphare

on the other hand man it feels bad seeing everybody go off the board while you wait and having to reach on players when it gets back to you.

Im In a keeper league and ive traded away my picks this yr to make a run last yr.... i sont pick till the 5th ROUND :(
BlueSteel
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:30 PM)
BlueSteel's Avatar
Definitely would recommend this site:

http://apps.fantasyfootballanalytics.net/
EazyWeazy3
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:31 PM)
EazyWeazy3's Avatar

Originally Posted by anarchycupcake

I'm having trouble picking my 3rd keeper this year. I've already decided on keeping Tom Brady and LeSean McCoy, but here are the rest of my options:

Julian Edelman
Mark Ingram
Dion Lewis
Antonio Gates
Steven Hauschka
Zach Brown
Luke Kuechly
Mike Gillislee
Mike Evans
Blake Bortles
Jeremy Hill
Will Fuller
Michael Thomas

I'm a fantasy/football noob but I really want to win my pool for the pride of it, so I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Mike Evans is a no brainer. Brady and Shady too?!
BronsonLee
(08-24-2017, 09:47 PM)
BronsonLee's Avatar

Originally Posted by phanphare

had the 11th pick in my league this year

on the one hand I love having two picks so close together

on the other hand man it feels bad seeing everybody go off the board while you wait and having to reach on players when it gets back to you.

I reach

They teach
PillarEN
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:52 PM)
PillarEN's Avatar
Nice thread OP. Will definitely subscribe. Won my league last year. First time after only my second year so I'm feeling pretty cocky this year haha. I think this year we're actually drafting after the preseason so that's good for any unexpected injuries that might occur before the season even starts.
Last edited by PillarEN; 08-24-2017 at 10:16 PM.
PandaPandaPanda
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:54 PM)
PandaPandaPanda's Avatar

Originally Posted by phanphare

had the 11th pick in my league this year

on the one hand I love having two picks so close together

on the other hand man it feels bad seeing everybody go off the board while you wait and having to reach on players when it gets back to you.

i'd be happy with an aj green/jordan howard stack (or another tier 2 rb-but I have no idea what you ended up going with)
Glix
Member
(08-24-2017, 09:55 PM)
Glix's Avatar
Anyone else love Tarik Cohen as a deep sleeper? Guy is shifty as fuck and has great hands and I'm not sold on Jordan Howard at all.

Have the 12/13 pick in my big league. .5 ppr. Hoping for Gordon/AJ Green but have a feeling neither will be there. Also bummed because I'm super high on Nuk and McCaffery , but they won't be there at 36/37 and taking either at 12/13 seems like a reach.

Originally Posted by anarchycupcake

I'm having trouble picking my 3rd keeper this year. I've already decided on keeping Tom Brady and LeSean McCoy, but here are the rest of my options:

Julian Edelman
Mark Ingram
Dion Lewis
Antonio Gates
Steven Hauschka
Zach Brown
Luke Kuechly
Mike Gillislee
Mike Evans
Blake Bortles
Jeremy Hill
Will Fuller
Michael Thomas

I'm a fantasy/football noob but I really want to win my pool for the pride of it, so I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Evans and its not even a little bit close.
Last edited by Glix; 08-24-2017 at 10:00 PM.
phanphare
Member
(08-24-2017, 10:14 PM)
phanphare's Avatar

Originally Posted by PandaPandaPanda

i'd be happy with an aj green/jordan howard stack (or another tier 2 rb-but I have no idea what you ended up going with)

I went RB -> RB to the detriment of my WR core but I'm feeling good going into the season. every year I always snag at least a couple contributors off waivers. I just really don't like those middle of the pack RBs and missing out on the top tier of RB at pick 11 I wanted to lock in some RBs that I can at least feel good about before watching them all fly off the board.

here's my team:

QB: Marcus Mariota
RB: Melvin Gordon, Jay Ajayi, Spencer Ware, Doug Martin, Jacquizz Rodgers, Samaje Perine, Jamaal Williams
WR: Golden Tate, Jarvis Landry, Stefon Diggs, Randall Cobb, Robert Woods
TE: Tyler Eifert
D/ST: Steelers

thinking about dropping samaje perine to snag coby fleener off waivers just to protect against potential injuries to eifert and I like fleener this season. league is also full point ppr which makes me feel better about tate and landry. love diggs this season as well.
UberTag
Member
(08-24-2017, 10:59 PM)
UberTag's Avatar
Most pre-season stats don't matter a lick... but, if any actually matter for fantasy, it's probably the first half utilization metrics for the Week 3 dress rehearsal games that kick off tonight when the Dolphins face the Eagles and the Panthers face the Jaguars.

Snap counts for all your relevant starting RBs, WRs and TEs.
Targets for the expected playmakers (in standard) and checkdown high-volume possession receivers (in PPR).
Red zone targets and rushes for the guys you plan to rely upon for TDs on a consistent basis.
This is especially pertinent for players on new teams or under new offensive coaching systems.

Again... don't buy in to anything you see too heavily (especially the big plays and scores). But don't turn a blind eye to the numbers from this weekend's games either. They're probably going to be indicative of what we'll be seeing in Week 1.
TeegsD
Member
(08-24-2017, 11:05 PM)
TeegsD's Avatar
What's everyone's draft tool of preference? Have never used one before, but am running with the Draft Slayer spreadsheet from r/FF. Thinking I might override it with either Beersheets or Boris Chen's rankings. At the least, I may use his drafting aid in tandem with Draft Slayer.
KingV
Member
(08-24-2017, 11:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Beach

Was wondering when the thread would be up this year, thanks for making.

Already posted but highly recommend the Fantasy Footballers Podcast. That and always draft on tiers! If I ever see someone drafting off a top 200 list or anything of the sort I get sick. CBS actually updated their tiers list a couple of days ago.

How does a tier based strategy work? I solely draft on Value Based Drafting + ADP to help strategize for who I have a shot of picking up at value a round or two later than they "should" fall.
phanphare
Member
(08-24-2017, 11:22 PM)
phanphare's Avatar

Originally Posted by KingV

How does a tier based strategy work? I solely draft on Value Based Drafting + ADP to help strategize for who I have a shot of picking up at value a round or two later than they "should" fall.

you basically make tiers for each position just to get a better feel for who's on the board and how many players are left at that position that you'd feel comfortable with. so the top tier for RB's would be lev bell and david johnson and maybe mccoy depending on who you are and then the next tier would be guys like melvin gordon, devonta freeman, etc. and you go down the line with each relevant position.

it just helps to make picks and get good value. you can see how many guys are left in each tier so you know whether or not you need to snag somebody now or if you can wait and fill a different need.

edit: here's a good article from the fantasy footballers about tier based drafting

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.co...ased-drafting/
Last edited by phanphare; 08-24-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Maklershed
Member
(08-24-2017, 11:33 PM)
Maklershed's Avatar
What do you ya'll who do tier based drafting like to use as your guide? I had the fantasypros list printed out (and removed the ranks as promised! :b ) but I feel like the tiers on this sheet are way too big to be helpful. Are the boris chen / jay zheng tiers the way to go?
PandaPandaPanda
Member
(08-24-2017, 11:38 PM)
PandaPandaPanda's Avatar

Originally Posted by phanphare

I went RB -> RB to the detriment of my WR core but I'm feeling good going into the season. every year I always snag at least a couple contributors off waivers. I just really don't like those middle of the pack RBs and missing out on the top tier of RB at pick 11 I wanted to lock in some RBs that I can at least feel good about before watching them all fly off the board.

here's my team:

QB: Marcus Mariota
RB: Melvin Gordon, Jay Ajayi, Spencer Ware, Doug Martin, Jacquizz Rodgers, Samaje Perine, Jamaal Williams
WR: Golden Tate, Jarvis Landry, Stefon Diggs, Randall Cobb, Robert Woods
TE: Tyler Eifert
D/ST: Steelers

thinking about dropping samaje perine to snag coby fleener off waivers just to protect against potential injuries to eifert and I like fleener this season. league is also full point ppr which makes me feel better about tate and landry. love diggs this season as well.

yeah I feel that. Last year was my first year playing fantasy let alone watching football so I had no idea who was good/bad. I ended up drafting eddie lacy, matt jones and duke johnson jr for my running backs (lol) so i had a difficult time. thankfully I was able to pick up jordan howard off of waivers for free
Fenderputty
Member
(08-25-2017, 02:30 AM)
Fenderputty's Avatar
I think some of you here may have been involved in or played in previous leagues with various GAF members and a friend has asked me to post this for him:

The Yahoo NFL Fantasy Football Play or Die League (Season 4) and has multiple spots open on a first come/paid basis. It's 16-team non-PPR redraft League, $65 buy-in. If anyone is interested in joining just register using the links below. Tentative Draft Date is Monday, September 4th, 9 PM Eastern, 6 PM Pacific.

Link to Yahoo League Info Thread

Link to Yahoo Community Forum Recruiting Thread
kris.
Banned
(08-25-2017, 02:34 AM)
So this is like my 5th year playing fantasy and I made the very stupid idea to start a league among friends. It's my first time being commissioner and this is kinda nerve-wracking for some reason. We're doing a 12 team standard league which is super simple but it's still been kinda overwhelming. Still super excited to draft next weekend and get this underway. Can't wait to kick the shit out of all my friends.

i still don't have a name for the league smfh
TheCochese
Member
(08-25-2017, 02:36 AM)
TheCochese's Avatar
Haven't played in years. Been wanting to get back in it without being with total strangers.
Beach
Member
(08-25-2017, 03:51 AM)

Originally Posted by KingV

How does a tier based strategy work? I solely draft on Value Based Drafting + ADP to help strategize for who I have a shot of picking up at value a round or two later than they "should" fall.

phanphare pretty much covered it but here's an example, CBS Sports releases their tier list for free and updated it last week. It's what I've been using two drafts in so far.

Quarterback: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/fo...ack-tiers-3-0/

Running Back: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/fo...ack-tiers-3-0/

Wide Receiver: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/fo...ver-tiers-3-0/

Tight End: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/fo...end-tiers-3-0/
Matrix XII
Member
(08-25-2017, 06:02 AM)
Matrix XII's Avatar
Any thoughts on Cook vs McCaffrey, half PPR league?

Thread Tools