• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

DontBeThatGuy
Member
(08-31-2017, 10:46 PM)
DontBeThatGuy's Avatar
Yay. Sounds great.
SchrodingerC
Member
(08-31-2017, 10:47 PM)
SchrodingerC's Avatar
The reviews are reinforcing my excitement for the film.
So glad prime del Toro is back.
Frozenprince
Banned
(08-31-2017, 10:50 PM)
It's not Abe Sapien lol
Lifeline
Member
(08-31-2017, 11:00 PM)
Lifeline's Avatar
Didn't like the theater, but i'll give it a shot.
Glass Rebel
Member
(08-31-2017, 11:25 PM)
Glass Rebel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Messofanego

Glad he finally has a film that hits it out of the water critically ever since Pan's Labyrinth. Hopefully, commercially too.

stop
Jombie
Member
(08-31-2017, 11:28 PM)
Jombie's Avatar
I'm glad del Toro is back with a more intimate film. He's a great filmmaker, but I find his big budget movies painfully dull.
Messofanego
Banned
(08-31-2017, 11:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Glass Rebel

stop

Honestly, I didn't intend it. Not sure why water came automatically into my head than park XD
Staccat0
Fail out bailed
(08-31-2017, 11:52 PM)
Staccat0's Avatar
I am so excited for this movie.

I actually loved Crimson Peak. I think there is a cultural bias based in latent misogyny which has seeped into our critical appraisals that values power fantasies and terror over romance in art these days. I really dig the gothic romance novel vibe. It was very alluring and charming.

Not that it was a perfect movie, but him doubling down on this idea that love stories are still worth telling speaks to me.
Raptor
Banned
(08-31-2017, 11:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Messofanego

Honestly, I didn't intend it. Not sure why water came automatically into my head than park XD

Stop.
jett
D-Member
(08-31-2017, 11:56 PM)
jett's Avatar
Honestly I wasn't sure if GDT still had another great movie in him. Been a long-ass time.
Psychoward
Banned
(09-01-2017, 12:00 AM)
Has anyone made a "The Abe of Water" joke yet
Discotheque
Banned
(09-01-2017, 12:03 AM)
Discotheque's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fancy Clown

Crimson Peak is the best of GDT's American movies tbh

Hmm...yeah why not. None of his American movies have been great, with at least crimson peak being the least corny (and it's the best looking of his films for me with that production design that brings to mind gothic romance and old haunted house films)

Judging by reviews though shape of water sounds like he made one that's on par with his Spanish work. Finally.
Gastone
Member
(09-01-2017, 12:06 AM)
Gastone's Avatar
Psyched for this. Del Toro does amazing work
jett
D-Member
(09-01-2017, 12:07 AM)
jett's Avatar

Originally Posted by Discotheque

Hmm...yeah why not. None of his American movies have been great, with at least crimson peak being the least corny (and it's the best looking of his films for me with that production design that brings to mind gothic romance and old haunted house films)

Judging by reviews though shape of water sounds like he made one that's on par with his Spanish work. Finally.

The Hellboys aren't all that great, but they're a damn sight better than the abject turd.

GDT's worst work though is that garbage Strain TV show.
Raptor
Banned
(09-01-2017, 12:08 AM)

Originally Posted by Discotheque

Hmm...yeah why not. None of his American movies have been great, with at least crimson peak being the least corny (and it's the best looking of his films for me with that production design that brings to mind gothic romance and old haunted house films)

Judging by reviews though shape of water sounds like he made one that's on par with his Spanish work. Finally.

Is the most boring though, only one of his films that I fell asleep.
captjohnboyd
Member
(09-01-2017, 12:43 AM)
captjohnboyd's Avatar
No love for blade 2 in this thread?! Jesus you guys. Sure it's not the emotional masterpiece that is Pan's labyrinth or the eerie and beautiful devils backbone but it's fun as all hell. Not gonna say it's even better than hellboy 2 but god damn it's as much fun. Also Crimson Peak was awful I'm sorry. And corny. I'm okay with corny when it's in the service of a remotely good story but I couldn't even get through CP in one sitting. Sure was his most gorgeous film to date though

OT I can not wait for this it looks like it has a chance to be one of his best films yet
kingocfs
Member
(09-01-2017, 12:48 AM)
kingocfs's Avatar
It looks wonderful.
inky
Member
(09-01-2017, 01:28 AM)
inky's Avatar
Can't wait to see this. Del Toro is a master.
brianjones
Member
(09-01-2017, 01:31 AM)
brianjones's Avatar
trailer did nothing for me but i'll check it out based on reviews

i thought crimson peak was a fun throwback
Mango Madness
Member
(09-01-2017, 01:34 AM)
Mango Madness's Avatar
Not into romance movies usually, but this sounds really good.
Technosteve
Junior Member
(09-01-2017, 01:38 AM)
Technosteve's Avatar

Originally Posted by Inferno313

Not surprised to see the rave reviews. This looked incredible.

in b4 people start their awful Hellboy theories.

Um, i know for a fact this William's first film in the Hellboy cinematic universe, this is the Abraham Sapien stand alone film to launch the new series of Hellboy films.
The Jazz Cabbage Master
Member
(09-01-2017, 01:38 AM)
The Jazz Cabbage Master's Avatar
The trailer was mesmerizing. I can't wait to watch this.
OdysseusVA
Banned
(09-01-2017, 01:38 AM)
Nice
Im excite
RodanCeros
Member
(09-01-2017, 01:39 AM)
RodanCeros's Avatar
In a high school film class, I listed GDT as my favorite director. It was just after Blade 2 came out, which I adored. My teacher must have thought I was just a dumb kid, but clearly I knew what I was doing because he only gets better over time!
Turbo Killer
Member
(09-01-2017, 02:05 AM)
Turbo Killer's Avatar

Originally Posted by captjohnboyd

No love for blade 2 in this thread?! Jesus you guys. Sure it's not the emotional masterpiece that is Pan's labyrinth or the eerie and beautiful devils backbone but it's fun as all hell. Not gonna say it's even better than hellboy 2 but god damn it's as much fun. Also Crimson Peak was awful I'm sorry. And corny. I'm okay with corny when it's in the service of a remotely good story but I couldn't even get through CP in one sitting. Sure was his most gorgeous film to date though

OT I can not wait for this it looks like it has a chance to be one of his best films yet

Blade >>>>> Blade 2.
big ander
Member
(09-01-2017, 03:20 AM)
big ander's Avatar
Blade 2 > Crimson Peak

And crimson Peak should be right up my alley. Jessica chastain, Mia wasikowska, period setting, big creepy house. Just doesn't really come together. Blade 2 is nuts and has amazing action

Originally Posted by jett

The Hellboys aren't all that great, but they're a damn sight better than the abject turd.

GDT's worst work though is that garbage Strain TV show.

Afaik he didn't really do anything on the strain, especially in recent years. Wrote and directed the pilot and then wrote one ep in season 2. blame Carlton cuse
MiloHoffman
Member
(09-01-2017, 06:28 AM)
MiloHoffman's Avatar
Del Toro delivers once again

Spine_Ripper
Member
(09-01-2017, 06:32 AM)
Spine_Ripper's Avatar

Originally Posted by nin1000

I love the poster for this movie !

Could see myself hanging this up

Damn that looks good. Gonna see this day one if possible.
PsihoPerihelion
Member
(09-01-2017, 12:34 PM)
PsihoPerihelion's Avatar
I wish Del Toro would win Best Director for this. It's about time! We have to complete the winning trifecta of the Three Amigos!

Originally Posted by Aikidoka

That director's statement is pretty lame, but I'll probably still check it out.


edit: Why is it not releasing until December 8th?

You mean this? http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/gui...201830874/amp/
He ain't MAGA, bro? Do you MAGA, bro?
Inferno313
Banned
(09-01-2017, 04:56 PM)
Inferno313's Avatar

Originally Posted by Thewonandonly

Yo but I thought it was to. I mean they made the creature look just like Abe sapain

Not all blue fish people look the same. Gosh! :P

They're pretty different designs.





The eyes, the amount of black, the spines on this creature's back. When you really sit down to look at them side by side, they're not very similar looking outside of the basic blue fishperson premise.

Originally Posted by Technosteve

Um, i know for a fact this William's first film in the Hellboy cinematic universe, this is the Abraham Sapien stand alone film to launch the new series of Hellboy films.

I'm not sure if this post is a joke, or serious. Hahaha. Poe's Law, I guess. But who the fuck is William?
Surfinn
Member
(09-01-2017, 05:33 PM)
Surfinn's Avatar
So I just saw the trailer and

Yeah I'm so seeing this.
Aikidoka
Member
(09-01-2017, 05:38 PM)
Aikidoka's Avatar

Originally Posted by PsihoPerihelion

I wish Del Toro would win Best Director for this. It's about time! We have to complete the winning trifecta of the Three Amigos!


You mean this? http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/gui...201830874/amp/
He ain't MAGA, bro? Do you MAGA, bro?

wtf is wrong with you? I'm talking about the one at the top of the OP, and it has nothing to do with Trump....
kruis
Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
(09-01-2017, 05:47 PM)
kruis's Avatar

Originally Posted by inky

Can't wait to see this. Del Toro is a master.

A master with a very spotty filmography. Pan's Labyrinth is a masterpiece, The Devil's Backbone is very good. Everything else is either OK (Hellboy 1 and 2, Chronos) or disappointing (Pacific Rim, Crimson Peak, Blade 2, Mimic). He could have done so much better, but unfortunately many of his projects failed to materialize or were compromised by external forces. I really hope The Taste of Water is the return of the director who wrote and directed Pan's Labyrinth.
Inferno313
Banned
(09-01-2017, 05:48 PM)
Inferno313's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aikidoka

wtf is wrong with you? I'm talking about the one at the top of the OP, and it has nothing to do with Trump....

How is it a lame statement though?...
Fancy Clown
Member
(09-01-2017, 05:51 PM)

Originally Posted by big ander

Blade 2 > Crimson Peak

And crimson Peak should be right up my alley. Jessica chastain, Mia wasikowska, period setting, big creepy house. Just doesn't really come together. Blade 2 is nuts and has amazing action

Blade 2 might be the worst movie I've seen from him. The fugly cgi body doubles in most of the action scenes really took me out of them.
Aikidoka
Member
(09-01-2017, 06:04 PM)
Aikidoka's Avatar

Originally Posted by Inferno313

How is it a lame statement though?...

The idea that love is some all-powerful force and that succumbing to it blindly is something that will "cure" cynicism is a bit silly and not really a well-formed or thought-out idea.

But, if you like it, then more power to you. My remark was innocuous and completely harmless, and the idea that it warrants being lumped in with white-supremacists is just pathetic.
inky
Member
(09-01-2017, 06:47 PM)
inky's Avatar

Originally Posted by kruis

A master with a very spotty filmography. Pan's Labyrinth is a masterpiece, The Devil's Backbone is very good. Everything else is either OK (Hellboy 1 and 2, Chronos) or disappointing (Pacific Rim, Crimson Peak, Blade 2, Mimic). He could have done so much better, but unfortunately many of his projects failed to materialize or were compromised by external forces. I really hope The Taste of* Water is the return of the director who wrote and directed Pan's Labyrinth.

*Shape of, and I disagree. Mimic is probably the only disappointing spot for me and we know how troubled its production was. But I can find the same director who wrote and directed Pan's Labyrinth in Crimson Peak or Pacific Rim through his earnestness and respect for vehicles that aren't exactly in vogue or trendy.

He is a master of genre and his craft, and I think 90% of his movies show it.
7Th
Harunobu Madarame
is my hero
(09-01-2017, 06:49 PM)
Nolan's never-coming Oscar will have to wait another year.
Einchy
semen stains the mountaintops
(09-01-2017, 06:52 PM)
Einchy's Avatar
Loving the praise it's getting, the trailer was one of the best that I've seen this year.
SoldierOfLight
Member
(09-01-2017, 06:57 PM)

Originally Posted by nin1000

I love the poster for this movie !

Could see myself hanging this up


I had the new Star wars Last Jedi poster as my wallpaper in NY phone, now replaced with this Shape of Water. I really like it a lot.
Relaxed Muscle
Member
(09-01-2017, 07:00 PM)
Relaxed Muscle's Avatar

Originally Posted by Inferno313

Not all blue fish people look the same. Gosh! :P

They're pretty different designs.



The eyes, the amount of black, the spines on this creature's back. When you really sit down to look at them side by side, they're not very similar looking outside of the basic blue fishperson premise.

Is clear that Abe is the child of this film couple.
Tricky I Shadow
Banned
(09-02-2017, 05:20 PM)
Tricky I Shadow's Avatar
Man, the early buzz for this is legit.

A ton of people are saying this is right up there with Pan's Labyrinth, which if that doesn't get you excited or at least interested I don't know what will!

Breaking Banter just posted a video review on YouTube and they absolutely gush over it! They both gave it a 10/10. HYPE ACTIVATED!

Crimson Peak was awesome.
Tricky I Shadow
Banned
(09-04-2017, 05:15 AM)
Tricky I Shadow's Avatar
19 reviews on RottenTomatoes.

Currently sitting on 100% fresh.
What did he mean by this?
Member
(09-04-2017, 05:22 AM)
What did he mean by this?'s Avatar
Will they bone?
TheSkullPrince
Member
(09-04-2017, 05:28 AM)
TheSkullPrince's Avatar
GDT! GDT! GDT!

Too bad it comes out on the same day as The Disaster Artist :(
Tricky I Shadow
Banned
(09-04-2017, 05:30 AM)
Tricky I Shadow's Avatar

Originally Posted by What did he mean by this?

Will they bone?

You tell me. This is a quote from one of the reviews on RottenTomatoes:

"If you can imagine an aggressively adorable -- and somewhat effortful -- version of Amélie in which our hero fucks the Creature from the Black Lagoon, you're totally feeling this."

O_O
GhaleonEB
Member
(09-04-2017, 05:34 AM)
GhaleonEB's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tricky I Shadow

Man, the early buzz for this is legit.

A ton of people are saying this is right up there with Pan's Labyrinth, which if that doesn't get you excited or at least interested I don't know what will!

Breaking Banter just posted a video review on YouTube and they absolutely gush over it! They both gave it a 10/10. HYPE ACTIVATED!

Crimson Peak was awesome.

The bolded actually read as warnings to me. :p

Definately interested to check this out, though. I dig the premise and I like Del Toro's visuals. I've just yet to see a film of his with a good script.
Magic Mushroom
Member
(09-09-2017, 09:09 PM)
Magic Mushroom's Avatar
Won the Golden Lion in Venice.
mariachi507
Member
(09-09-2017, 09:36 PM)
mariachi507's Avatar
It's good to see that Del Toro has decided to be Del Toro again.
Tricky I Shadow
Banned
(09-10-2017, 02:51 PM)
Tricky I Shadow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Magic Mushroom

Won the Golden Lion in Venice.

Nice! It's already getting Oscar buzz too.

Hawkins for best actress and Del Toro for best director are definitely attainable, hell, from the sounds of things best picture isn't off limits too.

Thread Tools