• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

fluffydelusions
(09-04-2017, 11:46 PM)

MIAMI (CBSMiami) — Florida Governor Rick Scott has declared a State Of Emergency to prepare Florida for a possible hit by Hurricane Irma – now a category 4 hurricane.

Monday evening the governor issued the order for all 67 counties in the state soon after the latest advisory showed the forecast cone reaching parts of South Florida sometime during the weekend.

“Hurricane Irma is a major and life-threatening storm and Florida must be prepared. I have continued to be briefed by the Florida Division of Emergency Management on Hurricane Irma and current forecast models have Florida in Irma’s path – potentially impacting millions of Floridians,” said Governor Scott.

The order is meant to make sure each local government has enough time and resources to prepare for the dangerous hurricane and keep the community safe if there is a potential hit.

“In Florida, we always prepare for the worst and hope for the best and while the exact path of Irma is not absolutely known at this time, we cannot afford to not be prepared,” said Governor Scott.

The governor said the declaration of emergency allows for officials to act fast without the “burden of bureaucracy or red tape.”

Related: How To Prep For A Possible Hurricane Irma Hit

Floridians are advised to get prepared for a possible hit by making sure you have an emergency plan and supplies.

Gov. Scott says they will keep an eye on Hurricane Irma and issue updates as it approaches.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/09/04...urricane-irma/
DarkJediKnight
(09-04-2017, 11:46 PM)
FUCK THIS!!!

I can picture CNN already with their:

BREAKING NEWS: IRMAGEDDON IN FLORIDA

Headline...
geomon
(09-04-2017, 11:48 PM)
Yup, start buying your supplies now if you haven't already. Fill up your gas tanks. If you're leaving, start buying your tickets.
Farsi
(09-04-2017, 11:49 PM)
Stay safe guys :(
Quonny
(09-04-2017, 11:49 PM)
Poor Puerto Rico.
ClayKavalier
Banned
(09-04-2017, 11:51 PM)
These natural disasters sure are hitting conservative states hard. The Lord works in mysterious ways.
DarkJediKnight
(09-04-2017, 11:51 PM)
If you can get water. Buy the giant distilled ones and store it.

That seems to be the biggest issue in Texas, the lack of clean water.

Be smart out there and help each other out when shit hits the fan.
Alex_Mexico
(09-04-2017, 11:52 PM)
What are the chances that Texas could also be hit by Irma?
GoldenEye 007
(09-04-2017, 11:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Alex_Mexico

It's too early to tell. No model can reliably project that far out. But if it ends up on the Gulf, it is something all of the coastal areas will need to watch.
RobotHaus

Originally Posted by ClayKavalier

These natural disasters sure are hitting conservative states hard. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Don't be a dick, this can be catastrophic.
greyshark

Wtf
dafinezt
Banned
(09-04-2017, 11:54 PM)

c'mon man
Mesoian

Slim. At worst, Irma is going to skirt the east coast, pounding florida and grinding up the shore until hitting Maryland.
GoldenEye 007

South Florida generally votes blue. Houston as of late too. So nah.
AlexFlame116
Dang it another one?! Stay safe guys and stock up quick.

The Lord has nothing to do with this. Buzz off with that.
ShadowSwordmaster
Banned

What is wrong with you?
Dishwalla
Banned
(09-04-2017, 11:55 PM)

"Conservative states". All of these states along the Atlantic coast and Gulf of Mexico could flip liberal tomorrow and hurricanes will still continue to hit them for years to come. Hurricanes don't care about these labels. Like seriously this is one topic where getting political simply doesn't apply.
Strider

Smh
Coketruck

Oh fuck off, you piece of shit.
shem935
Banned

Fuck you.
GregLombardi
This is the right call. The storm may miss, but if it does what the models are suggesting this is a huge natural disaster in the making for Florida potentially.
Magwik
Banned
Two hurricanes in almost same area back to back?
This isn't normal right?
GoldenEye 007
(09-04-2017, 11:56 PM)

Originally Posted by GregLombardi

This is the right call. The storm may miss, but if it does what the models are suggesting this is a huge natural disaster in the making for Florida potentially.

Yeah, start lining up money, preparations, and potential responses. Should be standard practice for any reasonable storm like this.
Bad_Boy
time to take my meds

Originally Posted by Magwik

This isn't normal right?

Happens every year.
grandjedi6
Master of the Google Search

Yeah, I'm this hurricane was all ready to hit Illinois before it double-checked the election results.

And let's forget Puerto Rico who's about to get hit. Or the democrat leaning City of Houston that got hit a few weeks ago.
ShadowSwordmaster
Banned
(09-04-2017, 11:57 PM)

This isn't normal right?

It is the season for hurricanes.
a.wd

This isn't normal right?

No, God speed.
ntropy

Originally Posted by GoldenEye 007

South Florida generally votes blue. Houston as of late too. So nah.

because fuck 'em if they otherwise vote red huh? lol
IrishNinja
bout to start hitting these publix parking lots for scalped water, good times

south florida (a literal sea of blue, before we join the sea again someday) hops you enjoy your time off fam

This isn't normal right?

we've been fortunate to not have had a really bad hurricane season out here since maybe '05, but we're long overdue - and conditions are rapidly getting worse for super storms as well
nintendoman58
I know someone who's currently in on vacation in Disneyland right now.

I hope he'll be okay.
Rhaknar
The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
(09-04-2017, 11:58 PM)
stay safe. It's so bizarre for someone not in the states how "normal" hurricanes and earthquakes and shit are for you guys :(
Solidsnakejej
This is an order mainly to allow counties to be able to prep and also activates the anti gouging laws that were put in place after Andrews. Nothing to serious yet.
geomon

This is heading right over my house, so fuck you.
Fat4all

This isn't normal right?

from the wiki page Atlantic Hurricane Season

In the Northern Atlantic Ocean, a distinct hurricane season occurs from June 1 to November 30, sharply peaking from late August through September.

it's getting rough
StriKeVillain
Banned
I have a lot of family in FL. I really hope this doesn't hit hard. :/
GregLombardi

This isn't normal right?

The only thing that isn't typical is that they may both actually make landfall. We've had like 5 cat 2-3 canes in the Atlantic at one time back in the 90s I believe, and most of them didn't touch the U.S., so we never knew. However, these are both quite dangerous storms with a higher than average probability of landfall, so its a bit crazy in that regard.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
Is the closest back to back natural disasters in us history?
GoldenEye 007
(09-04-2017, 11:59 PM)

Originally Posted by ntropy

because fuck 'em if they otherwise vote red huh? lol

Just pointing out another error in the statement. You can put down your torch.
Alex_Mexico

Originally Posted by RobotHaus

Don't be a dick, this can be catastrophic.

A dick? It's not like Im wishing for it to hit Texas! I'm asking what are the chances because if it did, well, major maneuvers would have to be done! Better be prepared!
LiK
Hopefully it won't be as bad as Harvey. Stay safe Florida-GAF.
Dishwalla
Banned

Originally Posted by nintendoman58

I know someone who's currently in on vacation in Disneyland right now.

I hope he'll be okay.

I think SoCal will be fine. Mind the fires I suppose.
Zolo

This isn't normal right?

It's less the number and more how powerful the hurricanes are. I remember before Katrina, there would be at least a couple of hurricanes a year hitting, but it wasn't as big of a deal since they weren't as powerful.
TharpDaddy
(09-05-2017, 12:00 AM)
What's the chance of this being a cat 5 by the time it makes landfall (if it makes landfall)?
ascii42

Originally Posted by Slayven

Is the closest back to back natural disasters in us history?

I remember 4 hurricanes hit Florida in 2004, but I don't remember how close they all were together.
Solidsnakejej

This isn't normal right?

Not normal, Harvey was the first major hurricane, category 3 or above, to hit main land US since Wilma in 2005, now we're on the verge of have 2 in 2 weeks.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
There are places still fucked up from Andrew
Violence Jack
You guys hunker down and stay safe Florida GAF.
witness
(09-05-2017, 12:01 AM)
Well bought lots of water, canned food, snacks, ramen, flashlights, batteries, etc here in Orlando. Though if it's a Cat 4 and hitting us directly we are leaving on Thursday night/Friday depending on when they close our office.
grandjedi6
Master of the Google Search

Possible but still low. These models aren't actually forecasts and metrologists think there is a good chance a storm front in the Northeast this weekend will "pull" the storm North with it. Of course that also means another front could develop to push it into the Gulf of Mexico...

When you're more than 5 days out, these models are basically like windshield wipers that go back and forth like crazy.
Coketruck

Originally Posted by Rhaknar

stay safe. It's so bizarre for someone not in the states how "normal" hurricanes and earthquakes and shit are for you guys :(

Just one of those things. People out west deal with wildfires and quakes, the Midwest has tornadoes, northern areas have blizzards, we have hurricanes/flooding. Nearly everyone has something to worry about.