• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

perfectchaos007
(09-04-2017, 11:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Magwik

Two hurricanes in almost same area back to back?
This isn't normal right?

Pretty rare, especially if it makes US landfall as a cat. 3.

Even in 2005 where an unprecedented 3 Major hurricanes hit the US, they were spread out (Katrina, Rita, Wilma)
PfantzyPantz
It was nice knowing you Gaf
Kusagari

Originally Posted by Solidsnakejej

Not normal, Harvey was the first major hurricane, category 3 or above, to hit main land US since Wilma in 2005, now we're on the verge of have 2 in 2 weeks.

It's 2005 all over again
geomon

Originally Posted by LiK

Hopefully it won't be as bad as Harvey. Stay safe Florida-GAF.

We don't get flooding really (unless you're on Miami Beach or the coast). Our main issue is storm surge and wind damage and power outages. So I wouldn't expect a significant loss of life for Florida, but expect suffering under sweltering heat as the power is gone for a month because we keep power stations above ground and uncovered.
Princess Viola
(09-04-2017, 11:02 PM)
Maybe this will finally get my family to buy some fucking supplies so we don't have damage to our house...>.>
quickwhips

Originally Posted by Alex_Mexico

A dick? It's not like Im wishing for it to hit Texas! I'm asking what are the chances because if it did, well, major maneuvers would have to be done! Better be prepared!

2 accounts huh?
WedgeX
Livin' Like A King

Originally Posted by Slayven

Is the closest back to back natural disasters in us history?

It's pretty similar to Katrina/Rita.
Fat4all

Originally Posted by ascii42

I remember 4 hurricanes hit Florida in 2004, but I don't remember how close they all were together.

first was in mid august, and the other three were nearly weekly back to back in september
Ephemeris
Orlando here.

Still working on an emergency kit. Amazon Prime Now took care of the water situation a couple days ago though lol
Karsticles
Edit: Nevermind, he got banned.

I just moved to FL 2 months ago. :(
Trickster
Damn, crazy stuff.

Almost like earth is trying to convince america that climate change is a thing
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(09-04-2017, 11:03 PM)

Originally Posted by WedgeX

Shit I don't even remember Rita
GoldenEye 007

Originally Posted by Fat4all

first was in mid august, and the other three were nearly weekly back to back in september

Was in West Palm Beach at the time. Missed a solid 2-3 weeks of school. District said fuck it and didn't try to make up the days.
Rayne009
Well sadly this'll become more common not less. Hopefully the damage can be mitigated.
wandering

Originally Posted by Coketruck

Just one of those things. People out west deal with wildfires and quakes, the Midwest has tornadoes, northern areas have blizzards, we have hurricanes/flooding. Nearly everyone has something to worry about.

I dunno what we have in the PNW. Volcanoes?
GK86
Homeland Security Fail
Stay safe Florida.
nintendoman58

Originally Posted by Dishwalla

I think SoCal will be fine. Mind the fires I suppose.

I'm not talking about California.

I meant WDW in Florida.
IrishNinja
(09-04-2017, 11:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Slayven

There are places still fucked up from Andrew

absolutely true - as a cutler ridge kid, some of that shit never recovered

Originally Posted by WedgeX

Wilma too, shit was rough
fluffydelusions

Originally Posted by wandering

I dunno what we have in the PNW. Volcanoes?

Yes and that big earthquake that will take out everything of course lol
Fat4all

Originally Posted by GoldenEye 007

Was in West Palm Beach at the time. Missed a solid 2-3 weeks of school. District said fuck it and didn't try to make up the days.

cant blame them, that shit was nuts
Kusagari

Originally Posted by GoldenEye 007

I missed literally a month of high school after Wilma that we never made up.

Spent more of it than I planned outside since we also didn't have electricity.
Epsilon-delta
(09-04-2017, 11:05 PM)

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

bout to start hitting these publix parking lots for scalped water, good times

south florida (a literal sea of blue, before we join the sea again someday) hops you enjoy your time off fam

Don't forget central Florida. Orange, Osceola, and Hillsborough went blue as well.
SchrodingerC
Huh. Maybe I should pay attention to the weather more.
It's not going to hit central Florida, right?
Alex_Mexico
If theres one state from the US that knows their shit when it comes to hurricanes it's Florida. You guys will pull through with minimal damage if hit, I'm sure.
Dishwalla
Weeeee count only blue turf
(09-04-2017, 11:06 PM)

Originally Posted by nintendoman58

I'm not talking about California.

I meant WDW in Florida.

You did say "Disneyland" which is in Anaheim California. I knew what you meant, was just ribbing you for your mistake.
13ruce
Banned
Damn not another one, stay save US Gaf.
SteelAlchemist
I live in Kendall.

fuk
nintendoman58

Originally Posted by Dishwalla

You did say "Disneyland" which is in Anaheim California. I knew what you meant, was just ribbing you for your mistake.

I keep getting the two confused, haha.

Seriously though I'm worried about this.
wandering

Originally Posted by fluffydelusions

Yes and that big earthquake that will take out everything of course lol

Oh yeah that thing. I guess quakes and fires apply to us too.
____
(09-04-2017, 11:07 PM)

If theres one state from the US that knows their shit when it comes to hurricanes it's Florida. You guys will pull through with minimal damage if hit, I'm sure.

This is usually the case. I hope we stay safe.
Kusagari

You vastly overrate Florida's ability to take hurricanes. Places are still fucked up from Wilma and Irma will be stronger.
Fat4all

Originally Posted by SchrodingerC

too early to say for sure

Retro
The Tree of Liberty

Originally Posted by TharpDaddy

What's the chance of this being a cat 5 by the time it makes landfall (if it makes landfall)?

As per the latest NHC discussion, it's heading into an area with warm water and moist air (both of which hurricanes draw energy from) and low wind sheer (which means there isn't any high level winds acting against the internal processes of the storm). All points to further strengthening over the next 48 hours.

Whether it gets up to Category 5 or not is still up in the air, right now it's a weak category 4.

Eh, Wilma was the last one that hit and it was 12 years ago, but there have been lots of near hits though. That tends to make people apathetic and increases the odds that they'll put themselves at risk. The state's also gained about 3 million new residents since 2005 too. That's why even though it's a week out, it's probably a good idea to declare a State of Emergency now and get people to pay attention.
Last edited by Retro; 09-04-2017 at 11:18 PM.
aspiegamer
(09-04-2017, 11:08 PM)
I get that this is a smart move logistically to try to prepare, but this is going to worsen a public panic. This is also an absolute worst-case for any possible evacuations where the hurricane's track will drive it up the only escape route. FloridaGAF, do a check on your supplies or come up with a detailed evacuation plan if you think it's going to be necessary, please. Do it ASAP. Like, close this GAF tab and go do it right now.

Originally Posted by TharpDaddy

What's the chance of this being a cat 5 by the time it makes landfall (if it makes landfall)?

Realistically? Low. But it's non-zero. The intensity forecasts in the preferred computer models have been abnormally high the past few days, but, again, it's non-zero.
IrishNinja

Originally Posted by Epsilon-delta

Don't forget central Florida. Orange, Osceola, and Hillsborough went blue as well.

true, i always forget that - personally i always enjoy central FL when i'm out that way, good people
northern FL can go live out its fantasies & find a south that will have em though

yeah i think we do better than most (being a younger city with some solid building code/etc helps) but there's places like miami beach that flood with heavy rain, and while we've gotten better over the years with our homeless community there's still folks out there too

Originally Posted by SteelAlchemist

I live in Kendall.

fuk

think of it this way, at least you'll be out of kendall traffic for a bit yeah?
jokes aside; west kendall traffic his horrible
AoM

I remember 4 hurricanes hit Florida in 2004, but I don't remember how close they all were together.

Yeah, that would probably take it.

August 13 - Charley (4)
September 5 - Frances (2)
September 16 - Ivan (3)
September 26 - Jeanne (3)
Poltergust
(09-04-2017, 11:09 PM)

Originally Posted by SchrodingerC

At this point it's nearly guaranteed that some portion of the storm will hit central Florida. How severe it will be depends on which direction the storm ultimately ends up shifting to once it hits the Caribbean.
Trey
(09-04-2017, 11:10 PM)

Originally Posted by DarkJediKnight

FUCK THIS!!!

I can picture CNN already with their:

BREAKING NEWS: IRMAGEDDON IN FLORIDA

Headline...

After Florida got washed by Alabama, they better not lose their next game because this will for sure be the lead in pun on ESPN.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(09-04-2017, 11:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Kusagari

You vastly overrate Florida's ability to take hurricanes. Places are still fucked up from Wilma and Irma will be stronger.

Yeah people can get real lax about shit that happens every couple of years, maybe.
ascii42

Originally Posted by Trey

After Florida got washed by Alabama, they better not lose their next game because this will for sure be the lead in pun on ESPN.

Florida State, you mean. Florida lost to Michigan :(.
SchrodingerC

too early to say for sure

Originally Posted by Poltergust

At this point it's nearly guaranteed that some portion of the storm will hit central Florida. How severe it will be depends on which direction the storm ultimately ends up shifting to once it hits the Caribbean.

Guess I'll watch out for further developments.
Thanks guys.
TharpDaddy
(09-04-2017, 11:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Retro

As per the latest NHC discussion, it's heading into an area with warm water and moist air (both of which hurricanes draw energy from) and low wind sheer (which means there isn't any high level winds acting against the internal processes of the storm). All points to further strengthening over the next 48 hours.

Whether it gets up to Category 5 or not is still up in the air, right now it's a weak category 4.

Originally Posted by aspiegamer

Realistically? Low. But it's non-zero. The intensity forecasts in the preferred computer models have been abnormally high the past few days, but, again, it's non-zero.

Thanks for the info!
TURBO1112
(09-04-2017, 11:13 PM)
Havent been follwoing this. Maybe I should? Im in Tampa area.
MartyStu
(09-04-2017, 11:14 PM)

We went a month without power.

It was pretty rough.
rocketskates
(09-04-2017, 11:15 PM)
I'm in the panhandle, dunno if we'll get anything major though. Be safe rest of FL-GAF
WillyFive
(09-04-2017, 11:15 PM)

Within a month, I remember.
MrNelson
(09-04-2017, 11:16 PM)

Lmao I love how people always assume this shit. A strong enough hurricane in the right place would absolutely decimate parts of Florida. Where I live they estimated a Cat 4 hitting in the right spot would cause more damage than Katrina did to NOLA.
Gordon Shumway
Banned
(09-04-2017, 11:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Coketruck

Oh fuck off, you piece of shit.

I mean, I laughed..if only because it's fucked up, and I'm fucking sitting where it looks like it's headed.lol. Mysterious indeed..curse you, flying spaghetti monster!

Originally Posted by MrNelson

Lmao I love how people always assume this shit. A strong enough hurricane in the right place would absolutely decimate parts of Florida. Where I live they estimated a Cat 4 hitting in the right spot would cause more damage than Katrina did to NOLA.

Remember Old Cutler? That went swell..
NoRéN
(09-04-2017, 11:19 PM)

Originally Posted by ClayKavalier

These natural disasters sure are hitting conservative states hard. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Originally Posted by RobotHaus

Don't be a dick, this can be catastrophic.

A dick? It's not like Im wishing for it to hit Texas! I'm asking what are the chances because if it did, well, major maneuvers would have to be done! Better be prepared!

but the first post wasn't "you"...
GKSilKamina
(09-04-2017, 11:20 PM)
I'm glad that I'm going to be out of the state when the storm hits, though I'm worried about my house. I still remember the Charley/Ivan/Frances/Gaston wombo-combo from 2004 wreaking havoc back in the day. A lot of my classmates didn't have power or running water at their homes for ages.