• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

____
Banned
(09-05-2017, 12:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Orin GA

Has North Miami Beach ever flooded before from a hurricane?

Originally Posted by Kusagari

Miami Beach floods from anything.

Miami Beach and North Miami Beach are two different places. I feel like NMB (where I live) would survive but Miami Beach is fucked.
Carpe Carnim
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:11 AM)
Carpe Carnim's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kusagari

Yep, this is the current projected track and it's terrifying.

Basically all of South Florida will get hit. Doesn't matter if you're in Miami-Dade, Broward or Palm Beach.

Fuck, that track will breach the hoover dyke around Okeechobee. People south of the lake should leave pd-fuckin-q

Edit, it also means emergency draw down of the lake, which will exacerbate flooding along the eastern canal and the Caloosahatchee River. RIP Ft. Myers
IrishNinja
(09-05-2017, 12:12 AM)
IrishNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by boredofcanada

That's completely false. Liberty city is a few miles from Biscayne bay. The Everglades is probably the most inland part of Miami.

aw damn - well, maybe the glades would finally get the respect it deserves after all these years
Poltergust
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:14 AM)
Poltergust's Avatar

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

aw damn - well, maybe the glades would finally get the respect it deserves after all these years

The entirety of Miami will become the Everglades if the storm makes a direct hit.
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
(09-05-2017, 12:14 AM)
Rentahamster's Avatar
Wishing all you Florida peeps the best <3
Carpe Carnim
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:14 AM)
Carpe Carnim's Avatar

Originally Posted by ____

Miami Beach and North Miami Beach are two different places. I feel like NMB (where I live) would survive but Miami Beach is fucked.

I lived in Ives Estates during Andrew. We fared pretty well with flooding. All things considered.
Orin GA
I wish I could hat you to death
(09-05-2017, 12:15 AM)
Orin GA's Avatar


If only....

Yes, I am well aware that its heading right into its path!
Arthos
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:15 AM)
Arthos's Avatar

Originally Posted by fluffydelusions

Where is this from?
boredofcanada
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:20 AM)
boredofcanada's Avatar

Originally Posted by Poltergust

The entirety of Miami will become the Everglades if the storm makes a direct hit.

Yup. Miami was real fucked up after Andrew. Everything south of Pinecrest was basically leveled. Get your supplies and start making plans guys. Shit ain't a joke.
gspec
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:20 AM)
gspec's Avatar
stay safe. gaf
Lemongrab
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:20 AM)
Lemongrab's Avatar

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

i could swear i read liberty city is actually the most inland place in miami

which is amazing, cause when we start to turn into atlantis i hope that neighborhood becomes the most baller one

No liberty city is the one in New York. Vice city is the one in Florida
KenzinFive
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:21 AM)
KenzinFive's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kusagari

Miami Beach floods from anything.

No, seriously everyone. Parts of Miami Beach now flood from the fucking tide coming in.

My mom lives in Brickell, which is not Miami Beach but still on the water. Thank god she already said she'll be leaving to my grandmother's house in Hialeah if Irma hits.

Originally Posted by LumpOfCole

Gas is already expensive in Florida right now but I’d highly recommend to FloridaGAF to gas up early this week instead of holding off.

Gassed up this morning, and gas was $0.40 higher than pre-Harvey. What sucks is that I'll use part of the tank for the rest of the week as I go to work. If I need or want to fill up again on Friday, I can imagine it being a nightmare.

I'm really worried about flooding from this thing. Thankfully, the only valuable things near ground level that could get destroyed in my house are my PC and game consoles. I may just pack them and take them to my dad's house to the second floor.

Yes, it seems really basic to worry about those things. But the only other major thing that could get ruined is the entire house itself. And there's no way of protecting that from flood waters or a tree through the roof.
fluffydelusions
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:22 AM)
fluffydelusions's Avatar

New aircraft recon finding 150mph winds at flight level in #Irma this evening! This is a VERY dangerous storm. I sure hope residents prepare

https://twitter.com/B_Carp01/status/...2017-a-23.html
MontlyCure
Junior Member
(09-05-2017, 12:24 AM)
MontlyCure's Avatar
Wow, stay safe you all along the coast. Luckily I'm in a pretty elevated part of the state (Clermont) so flooding hopefully won't be too much of a concern here. Tons of empty retention ponds around as well. It's really the wind that will be an issue.
RPGCrazied
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:26 AM)
RPGCrazied's Avatar
Another one? Jesus. Give us a break please mother nature.

And this is climate change, time to wake up and smell the roses. Last winter where I live snowed 22", which is bad for my area. It never snows, and when it did back in the day is was 1" here, 2" there.

This isn't normal.
Dreams-Visions
I'm mad as hell but this sandwich is delicious
(09-05-2017, 12:26 AM)
Dreams-Visions's Avatar
You know what? Prob time to take a drive up state.
Orin GA
I wish I could hat you to death
(09-05-2017, 12:26 AM)
Orin GA's Avatar
Its gonna be super shitty if there needs to be an evacuation. I am in the middle of the flu that has weakend me a bit. Hope it clears up before shit goes down.

Steeped in a Sea of Games
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:29 AM)
Steeped in a Sea of Games's Avatar
I know it's not always easy, but I think if I lived anywhere along the coast, I'd seriously consider permanently moving inland. This really sucks.
Smidget
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:30 AM)
Are projections pointing at this to be a fast moving storm at least? Or will it stall? Want the least amount of time at high winds as possible....
Piano
Foie Gras For Free!
(09-05-2017, 12:30 AM)
Piano's Avatar
I'm in Orlando for the balance of the year, and considering I live in a first floor apartment next to a stormwater retention pond, it's probably best that I evacuate later this week, yeah?

I've lived in Florida most of my life and have never needed to evacuate before. Granted, most of that time was up in the panhandle, which doesn't see as much storm activity. Still, this whole thing has got me anxious.

If I evacuate I'll be heading back to the panhandle, so here's hoping it doesn't hit both...

Soothe my anxieties, GAF.
0ptimusPayne
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:30 AM)
0ptimusPayne's Avatar
I hope it doesn't smash through Hillsborough county area. Id have go back home to MI, If they make evacuate. My GF's parents do have a small cabin up north FL though. Stay Safe down there in Dade peeps.
SchrodingerC
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:31 AM)
SchrodingerC's Avatar

Originally Posted by LumpOfCole

Gas is already expensive in Florida right now but Id highly recommend to FloridaGAF to gas up early this week instead of holding off.

That's a good idea. I'll need to get gas later tonight.
Dash_Riprock
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:36 AM)
Dash_Riprock's Avatar

Originally Posted by Orin GA

Its gonna be super shitty if there needs to be an evacuation. I am in the middle of the flu that has weakend me a bit. Hope it clears up before shit goes down.

So either Florida is fucked or North Carolina is fucked?
Noshino
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:36 AM)
Noshino's Avatar

Originally Posted by geomon

We don't get flooding really (unless you're on Miami Beach or the coast). Our main issue is storm surge and wind damage and power outages. So I wouldn't expect a significant loss of life for Florida, but expect suffering under sweltering heat as the power is gone for a month because we keep power stations above ground and uncovered.

Dude, what are you talking about, our main issue continues to be flooding. Hollywood, Hallandale, Davie, Sunrise, etc continue to have issues with flooding just from regular rains. Miami Beach and Aventura are even worse.

And given how our building codes continue to decay little by little, I wouldnt be surprised if there are a lot of losses, and not just financial ones.
Fat4all
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:38 AM)
Fat4all's Avatar

Originally Posted by Piano

Soothe my anxieties, GAF.

Hurricanes are bullshit, but as long as you prepare ahead of time, gather necessary supplies, and follow emergency instructions you'll be fine.

Whether or not there's an evacuation, gather anything important (documents, computer drives, supplies) all in one place so you can grab them and go if the need. Look at resources online for the best way to protect any personal property you might be leaving behind. If you have to evacuate, try and be patient with others around you.
WaterAstro
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:39 AM)
WaterAstro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trickster

Damn, crazy stuff.

Almost like earth is trying to convince america that climate change is a thing

Originally Posted by RPGCrazied

Another one? Jesus. Give us a break please mother nature.

And this is climate change, time to wake up and smell the roses. Last winter where I live snowed 22", which is bad for my area. It never snows, and when it did back in the day is was 1" here, 2" there.

This isn't normal.

Well, it's ironic because Rick Scott banned the term "Climate Change" from the state government, so it's real telling what kind of person he is.
Gordon Shumway
Banned
(09-05-2017, 12:40 AM)
Gordon Shumway's Avatar

Originally Posted by fluffydelusions

Yup..we're fucked lol.

Originally Posted by Piano

Soothe my anxieties, GAF.

Black? 😏
Akainu
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:40 AM)
Akainu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Orin GA

Its gonna be super shitty if there needs to be an evacuation. I am in the middle of the flu that has weakend me a bit. Hope it clears up before shit goes down.

Well damn.
Kusagari
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:41 AM)
Kusagari's Avatar

Originally Posted by Noshino

Dude, what are you talking about, our main issue continues to be flooding. Hollywood, Hallandale, Davie, Sunrise, etc continue to have issues with flooding just from regular rains. Miami Beach and Aventura are even worse.

And given how our building codes continue to decay little by little, I wouldnt be surprised if there are a lot of losses, and not just financial ones.

Back when it was heavily raining 2-3 months ago, I couldn't even get to where I work in Coral Springs because it was flooded so bad.
theofficefan99
Junior Member
(09-05-2017, 12:41 AM)
theofficefan99's Avatar

Originally Posted by Coketruck

Just one of those things. People out west deal with wildfires and quakes, the Midwest has tornadoes, northern areas have blizzards, we have hurricanes/flooding. Nearly everyone has something to worry about.

Unfortunately. I want to live somewhere where I don't have to worry about life-threatening natural disasters but that's a naive dream :(


And as for everyone in Florida, I wish you guys all the best... make preparations ASAP and do what you have to do to ensure survival.
HeartlessNobody213
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:42 AM)
HeartlessNobody213's Avatar
I'm near Tallahassee so the storm might narrowly avoid us. Still making precautions though.

Last year a hurricane took out power from most of the entire city, but that was mostly the extent of the damage besides some fallen trees. Tallahassee tends to be fairly ok during hurricane season.
Ponn
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:42 AM)
Ponn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dreams-Visions

You know what? Prob time to take a drive up state.

I'd take in south FL GAF as long as you bring food.
Gordon Shumway
Banned
(09-05-2017, 12:42 AM)
Gordon Shumway's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dash_Riprock

So either Florida is fucked or North Carolina is fucked?

So, the usual..

Originally Posted by Ponn

I'd take in south FL GAF as long as you bring food.

Is cat okay?
Tyrant Rave
(09-05-2017, 12:43 AM)
Tyrant Rave's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kusagari

Back when it was heavily raining 2-3 months ago, I couldn't even get to where I work in Coral Springs because it was flooded so bad.

Yup, roads were flooded over here. They even shut down the Sawgrass Mall over it which is insane. This is gonna be bad.
Bad_Boy
time to take my meds
(09-05-2017, 12:44 AM)
Bad_Boy's Avatar
Ex lives in hollywood. Hope it doesnt hit hard.
Demoskinos
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:45 AM)
Demoskinos's Avatar
You couldn't pay me enough money to live anywhere near a coastline these days. Its unfortunately only going to get worse with climate change. Hopefully this doesn't end up being as disastrous as Harvey. Stay safe Florida.
boredofcanada
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:45 AM)
boredofcanada's Avatar

Originally Posted by theofficefan99

Unfortunately. I want to live somewhere where I don't have to worry about life-threatening natural disasters but that's a naive dream :(


And as for everyone in Florida, I wish you guys all the best... make preparations ASAP and do what you have to do to ensure survival.

Arizona doesn't have any, unless you count sweltering heat.
Az
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:45 AM)
Az's Avatar
I'm in NE Florida so not too concerned yet. But I'll stock up some stuff tomorrow just in case.
Ponn
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:47 AM)
Ponn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway

Is cat okay?

Okay everyone but Gordon. Eating my damn cat.
MrJames
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:49 AM)
MrJames's Avatar
All the G-IV flight data and CONUS weather balloon data will start being added to the models tonight with the 00z model runs. We'll see what kind of changes it causes if any.
Gordon Shumway
Banned
(09-05-2017, 12:49 AM)
Gordon Shumway's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ponn

Okay everyone but Gordon. Eating my damn cat.

FUCK..😒
Quazar
Banned
(09-05-2017, 12:52 AM)
Good luck Florida. Prepare! Glad it's not GA.....so far
peppermints
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:53 AM)
peppermints's Avatar
Getting nervous. In Orlando until Saturday morning. Wondering if we'll have to leave Friday instead. Looks like the model has it being in South Florida Saturday morning so I think if we head north early Saturday we'll he fine?
Crimson_Echidna
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:55 AM)
Crimson_Echidna's Avatar

Originally Posted by HeartlessNobody213

I'm near Tallahassee so the storm might narrowly avoid us. Still making precautions though.

Last year a hurricane took out power from most of the entire city, but that was mostly the extent of the damage besides some fallen trees. Tallahassee tends to be fairly ok during hurricane season.

Yeah, I think Midtown got the worst of it, but mostly only relatively light property damage.
Noshino
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:58 AM)
Noshino's Avatar
The worst part is that we have Scott in power who is doing his best to destroy the safety mechanism we have in place

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ned/490364001/

Please people, vote him out

Originally Posted by Kusagari

Back when it was heavily raining 2-3 months ago, I couldn't even get to where I work in Coral Springs because it was flooded so bad.

Originally Posted by Tyrant Rave

Yup, roads were flooded over here. They even shut down the Sawgrass Mall over it which is insane. This is gonna be bad.

Yeah I have no idea what he was talking about



It was horrible
Eye for an Eye
Member
(09-05-2017, 12:59 AM)
Eye for an Eye's Avatar

Originally Posted by Steeped in a Sea of Games

I know it's not always easy, but I think if I lived anywhere along the coast, I'd seriously consider permanently moving inland. This really sucks.

Inland takes you to the everglades, which floods worse than the coast.

I was a kid in Miami when Andrew hit. My brother lived in a group home down in Homestead that got leveled. Thankfully he came home, and the other kids were sent to the main facility. Here's hoping this one skirts the coast.
Yaboosh
Super Sleuth
(09-05-2017, 12:59 AM)
Yaboosh's Avatar

Originally Posted by HeartlessNobody213

I'm near Tallahassee so the storm might narrowly avoid us. Still making precautions though.

Last year a hurricane took out power from most of the entire city, but that was mostly the extent of the damage besides some fallen trees. Tallahassee tends to be fairly ok during hurricane season.


I remember back in 2004-2005 a big one was supposed to nail Tallahassee so everybody threw hurricane parties that night it was supposed to hit. It ended up missing is for the most part and the restaurant i worked at was the only one open on Tennessee st. Even waffle House was closed. We got slammed.
Jarmel
place a shoe on my head
to reduce lag compensation
(09-05-2017, 12:59 AM)
Jarmel's Avatar

Originally Posted by LumpOfCole

Gas is already expensive in Florida right now but Id highly recommend to FloridaGAF to gas up early this week instead of holding off.

Are there containers you can safely fill with gas and store? That way you can be prepared if gas stations run out?
SchrodingerC
Member
(09-05-2017, 01:00 AM)
SchrodingerC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Piano

I'm in Orlando for the balance of the year, and considering I live in a first floor apartment next to a stormwater retention pond, it's probably best that I evacuate later this week, yeah?

I've lived in Florida most of my life and have never needed to evacuate before. Granted, most of that time was up in the panhandle, which doesn't see as much storm activity. Still, this whole thing has got me anxious.

If I evacuate I'll be heading back to the panhandle, so here's hoping it doesn't hit both...

Soothe my anxieties, GAF.

Wouldn't hurt to have an evacuation plan just in case.

Originally Posted by Jarmel

Are there containers you can safely fill with gas and store? That way you can be prepared if gas stations run out?

You can find gas containers at just about any big stores like walmart, or home depot.
Eye for an Eye
Member
(09-05-2017, 01:02 AM)
Eye for an Eye's Avatar

Originally Posted by boredofcanada

Arizona doesn't have any, unless you count sweltering heat.

Central California is more boring than Arizona. There's people here that are terrrified of the sound of thunder. I've only heard it a few times in my 7 years here.

Thread Tools