• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Toa TAK
Banned
(09-10-2017, 09:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Prompto

There are people who paid to watch Inhumans in IMAX. Anything is possible.

Those aren't people.
WaffleTaco
Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
(09-10-2017, 09:45 PM)
Has The Shining ever been remade? It could do bananas at the box office. It's older (more nostalgia), and is still referenced today.

Glad to see IT doing so well even if I have no interest in seeing it. Doesn't Wonder Woman break a record or something soon if it crosses 820 worldwide.
Miles X
(09-10-2017, 09:45 PM)
Seems almost sad IT didn't beat Deadpool, it had the advantage of a holiday. Would have done it otherwise!
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(09-10-2017, 09:47 PM)

Originally Posted by WaffleTaco

Has The Shining ever been remade? It could do bananas at the box office. It's older (more nostalgia), and is still referenced today.

Glad to see IT doing so well even if I have no interest in seeing it. Doesn't Wonder Woman break a record or something soon if it crosses 820 worldwide.

In 1997 it was made a miniseries on ABC
broncobuster
Banned
(09-10-2017, 09:50 PM)

There's a "book accurate" TV movie from the late 90s as part of the series of King books turned into TV movies.

Next they should get around to doing the Langoliers. Don't know if it'll be the same without Balki ripping paper or bad 90s CGI teeth balls.

edit: I'm sure people found this terrifying once,

edit2: And I think Wonder Woman is finished with setting records for now.

Unless you count Rachel Weisz talking about it,

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/906951009154383872
Jawmuncher
(09-10-2017, 09:51 PM)
Crazy to see it do so well.
Sibersk Esto
Banned
(09-10-2017, 10:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Lights and Waves

Is there a reason Spider-Man is so popular in China? I'm shook.

I mean...it's Spider-Man.
Ridley327
(09-10-2017, 10:04 PM)

It got an ABC miniseries that was much more faithful to the novel, but it's not held in high regard at all. I think that the story is versatile enough to get a new adaptation without feeling like it needs to compete with Kubrick's take, which is truly its own thing.
kswiston
(09-10-2017, 10:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Sibersk Esto

I mean...it's Spider-Man.

If they were referring to Homecoming passing Wonder Woman worldwide, that was always going to happen. The Chinese opening was pretty huge, but Homecoming hasn't even made as much as Wonder Woman did in China yet ($90M). It's not like an outsized China gross is what pushed it over the top. A regular China gross for a superhero film would have done the same. It just would have taken 2 weekends instead of 1.
Sean C
(09-10-2017, 10:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Ridley327

It got an ABC miniseries that was much more faithful to the novel, but it's not held in high regard at all. I think that the story is versatile enough to get a new adaptation without feeling like it needs to compete with Kubrick's take, which is truly its own thing.

I think there's definitely room in the marketplace for a version of The Shining that adheres more to the book (which the miniseries tried, but couldn't really pull off for other reasons).
TARS
(09-10-2017, 10:14 PM)
Incredible numbers for IT! A big 'fuck you' to those who want theaters and the movie-going experience to die. Planning on seeing the movie sometime in the upcoming weeks.

Also, Dunkirk is now at $492M, definitely locked to pass that $500M mark now. A great achievement by Nolan, who will become the first director with 5 >$500M flicks in a row.
SargerusBR
I love Pokken!
(09-10-2017, 10:15 PM)
You will float too.
broncobuster
Banned
(09-10-2017, 10:26 PM)

Originally Posted by TARS

Incredible numbers for IT! A big 'fuck you' to those who want theaters and the movie-going experience to die. Planning on seeing the movie sometime in the upcoming weeks.

Also, Dunkirk is now at $492M, definitely locked to pass that $500M mark now. A great achievement by Nolan, who will become the first director with 5 >$500M flicks in a row.

Another notch for Mr. Nolan,

nhlducks35
(09-10-2017, 10:27 PM)

Aaron Strife
Banned
(09-10-2017, 10:30 PM)

Funnier in retrospect with It and Wonder Woman doing so well (both critically and financially), though I hardly blame them for the skepticism.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(09-10-2017, 10:33 PM)

Originally Posted by nhlducks35

RIP Brittney Murphy
Miles X
(09-10-2017, 10:34 PM)
Do international markets behave differently? $62m seems quite low for IT. It seems to have opened it most big markets as well, and has broken records for highest horror debut.

Annabelle and Conjuring range from $180 - $220m, was hoping IT would do $300m
True Savior
(09-10-2017, 10:36 PM)

If the 20% box office gross contract is true, he will make 100 million dollars plus 20 more of salary.

120 million dollars.

Lmao.

He should start funding his own films cause he is the most bankable individual trademark of movie business today. It's money in the bank.
Phamit
(09-10-2017, 10:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Pharaun

Does Spider-Man still need to open in Japan, or is it out in all markets now?

Spidey opened in japan in august
Ridley327
(09-10-2017, 10:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Sean C

I think there's definitely room in the marketplace for a version of The Shining that adheres more to the book (which the miniseries tried, but couldn't really pull off for other reasons).

I do, too. I know some will grumble for the reason I mentioned, but there really aren't too many pieces of literature that don't lend themselves to multiple adaptations. One could argue that for all the changes that they made, movies like Jaws and The Godfather are as definitive as adaptations get and dare I say improve tremendously upon the source material, but I think that list, overall, is a rather short one.
xaosslug
(09-10-2017, 10:42 PM)
ww chart added
TARS
(09-10-2017, 10:51 PM)

Originally Posted by broncobuster

Another notch for Mr. Nolan,

Originally Posted by nhlducks35

Originally Posted by True Savior

If the 20% box office gross contract is true, he will make 100 million dollars plus 20 more of salary.

120 million dollars.

Lmao.

He should start funding his own films cause he is the most bankable individual trademark of movie business today. It's money in the bank.

Are we sure that 20% is from pure box office gross and not after breaking even? I'd imagine it'd be hard for WB to get much profit with $100M going to Nolan directly.

Still, get money.
True Savior
(09-10-2017, 11:04 PM)
The articles just mentioned box office gross. I also think it's excessive as fuck but who knows.
catfish
I have a foreskin yet I do not have AIDS
(09-10-2017, 11:08 PM)
I can't believe that one of my favourite horrror stories ever got a remake and

1. the public likes it
2. it did fucking gangbusters
3. rottentomatoes likes it

holy shit. perfect movie or what? I remember the super lukewarm gaf reception.
Lord of Castamere
(09-10-2017, 11:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Aaron Strife

Funnier in retrospect with It and Wonder Woman doing so well (both critically and financially), though I hardly blame them for the skepticism.

They were 4 for 3. Pretty good odds. To be fair, the first trailers for those movies weren't good either. I laughed during the first WW trailer, even though there weren't any jokes, and IT looked like every other crappy horror movie.
J_Viper
(09-10-2017, 11:14 PM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

War for the Planet of the Apes - $370M

This hurts
Aaron Strife
Banned
(09-10-2017, 11:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Lord of Castamere

They were 4 for 3. Pretty good odds. To be fair, the first trailers for those movies weren't good either. I laughed during the first WW trailer, even though there weren't any jokes, and IT looked like every other crappy horror movie.

What would you say is the other exception, Power Rangers? It didn't completely tank. I wouldn't call it trash but nothing great either.
Messofanego
Banned
(09-10-2017, 11:17 PM)

RLM is full of cynical hot takes, so not surprised they come away with misses like this.
kswiston
(09-10-2017, 11:22 PM)

Originally Posted by J_Viper

This hurts

China releases next week. That should be enough to bump it into the $450M+ range.
Schlorgan
(09-10-2017, 11:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Buckle

Bummed we don't have any "YEAH! Spider-Man!" gifs yet.

Could be getting so much mileage out of that right now.

We've still got the 13 year old GOAT:

broncobuster
Banned
(09-10-2017, 11:28 PM)
I'm not too upset War for the Planet of the Apes unperformed. It delivered on one of the great modern film trilogies and Matt Reeves already landed his next gig with Batman.

Worst outcome is Fox decides to cool it on the next Planet of the Apes film, and it might be for the best. Although it'd be neat if they re-release the original Planet of the Apes for a limited theatrical run to tie into its 50th anniversary next year.
Majmun
(09-10-2017, 11:28 PM)
It has become one of my favorite movies. Already seen it twice.

Glad It's doing so well!
The Driver
(09-10-2017, 11:30 PM)
To think WB could have rekt this year a lot harder had they not gone with their lame take on King Arthur.
Bobby Roberts
Banned
(09-10-2017, 11:31 PM)

No, you should blame them for their cynicism. Absolutely.

It's the most tired (and tiring) thing about them.
Cipherr
(09-10-2017, 11:34 PM)

Originally Posted by HeartlessNobody213

Spidey now ahead of all of the previous Spidey films except for Spider-Man 3

And it has a solid chance at passing it. I think the #1 spidey film is at 890. It will be a stretch but its actually possible. Unreal how much shit this movie got weeks ago and now its about to pass BvS and possibly become the highest grossing Spidey movie of all time.
Kenzodielocke
Banned
(09-10-2017, 11:54 PM)

Originally Posted by kswiston

China releases next week. That should be enough to bump it into the $450M+ range.

I honestly do NOT understand how this could happen. People liked the first one, the second was even better AND made more money, and this is better or equal to the second, and this is a really bad result, imo.
Mortimer Brewster
Banned
(09-10-2017, 11:55 PM)
New Line breaking R rated horror records with a wisecracking child killer. It's 1987/1988 all over again.
Grizzlyjin
Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
(09-10-2017, 11:58 PM)
So how badly is mother! going to get mollywhopped next weekend? Paramount just caught some bad timing there.
broncobuster
Banned
(09-10-2017, 11:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Kenzodielocke

I honestly do NOT understand how this could happen. People liked the first one, the second was even better AND made more money, and this is better or equal to the second, and this is a really bad result, imo.

Sometimes, if not often, the success is a measure of the times. And War for the Planet of the Apes is a heavy, heavy, movie not everyone is about at this time.
NealMcCauley
(09-11-2017, 12:07 AM)
Gave It my money earlier. Audience response was a little muted. Thought it was pretty damn good myself.
pixelation
(09-11-2017, 12:11 AM)
Haven't seen it yet... but the trailers with the twitchy clown movement reminds me of old Marylin Manson videos, and that is not a good thing at all. Still gonna see it of course.
BronsonLee
Banned
(09-11-2017, 12:16 AM)
I'm activating my derail powers to address the evil that is this man

Originally Posted by Slayven

Bronson looks like that flower squirts acid

EXPLAIN YOURSELF

Originally Posted by Kenzodielocke

I mean, I watched War but didn't watch the other two, soooooo
Pachimari
(09-11-2017, 12:16 AM)

Originally Posted by The Driver

To think WB could have rekt this year a lot harder had they not gone with their lame take on King Arthur.

It's funny, I've actually only come across people who have liked this movie.
illmatic22
(09-11-2017, 12:17 AM)
Police officer were pulling minors out of our showing. So yeah, IT gonna cleanup.
MHWilliams
(09-11-2017, 12:19 AM)
Wow, IT vastly outperformed my expectations. Great opening with perfect timing.

Also, not only does Spider-Man Homecoming see that China jump, it's #7 domestically because folks have absolutely nothing to watch.
BronsonLee
Banned
(09-11-2017, 12:21 AM)
I've had Moviepass for almost a month and still haven't gone to any movies
7Th
Harunobu Madarame
is my hero
(09-11-2017, 12:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Spork4000

So Spider-Man actually passed wonder woman world wide? Honestly shocked.

Wonder Woman was definitely successful WW, but it was only an event in the domestic BO.
Lord of Castamere
(09-11-2017, 12:33 AM)
It was good. I'm glad the money is rolling in. Hopefully, this not only leads to more good horror, but more importantly, more great Stephen King films.

The Stand is itching for a good trilogy. Dark Tower is itching for a good MA mini series. I'm sure there are countless other SK novels that could make fantastic movies as well. Get to it HW.
Snaku
Banned
(09-11-2017, 12:55 AM)

Originally Posted by BronsonLee

I've had Moviepass for almost a month and still haven't gone to any movies

See It.