• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Capcom Prepping Dino Crisis Reboot? (OXM UK)

HeelPower

Really hope its a huge single player game.

Capcom can give RE some rest and faithfully attempt to revive this once great franchise.

Also I think Dinosaurs and secret jungle labs could create a huge amount of buzz in today's market.Been a while.

What gamers want ...of course with better graphics.

dino-crisis-reboot.jpg

What gamers will get

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i have never played a dino crisis game in my life. i have never had any interest. until recently, i thought the general consensus was they were shit. was i wrong all this time?

Jawmuncher

i have never played a dino crisis game in my life. i have never had any interest. until recently, i thought the general consensus was they were shit. was i wrong all this time?

1 and 2 are some of the best games on PS1 and in their genre.
1 was a Survival Horror game in the vein of RE, and 2 was an excellent action game.

It was 3 where things crashed and burned thus never recovering.

You were.

The only shitty game is DC3 (and probably that Gun Survivor game too). 1 and 2 are amazing games by all accounts.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
back in the Wii era, I had two dreams (because of the Wiimote) about Capcom:

an Onimusha game with Skyward Sword-like sword controls
a Dino Crisis game with RE4Wii pointer control (and mood)

I still hope to see reboots taht can partially satisfy me for those two brands...!!!

You were wrong all this time, now you saw the light go play DC1 & 2 and forget DC3 existed.

Melchiah

could be xbox exclusive if oxm is talking bout it.

could make a huge uproar like bayonetta 2 lol

Depends on whether it's like the first two on the PS1/DC/PC, or the third on the Xbox. I'm hoping for the history repeating itself when it comes to quality and availability.

kick51

Banned
after the rise of mediocre western outsource devs, Grin just looks that much better. RIP

I hope it is like Demon's Souls with dinos.

i'm sure no matter what it is, somebody will find a way to compare it to the Souls series.

"there's an orange flask...this game is just like Dark Souls!"

Jawmuncher

after the rise of mediocre western outsource devs, Grin just looks that much better. RIP

Grin was taken from us far to early. They were a studio that would have gotten better with time. Wanted, Bionic Commando Rearmed. and Bionic Commando were good games in their own right. Can't defend Terminator Salvation though but I hope that was a case of being forced to push it out quickly to release with the movie.

This was always one of those games that I regretted missing out on when I was younger. It would be really cool if this turned out to true.

kmax

This sounds exciting. Dino Crisis was very popular when it came out on the PlayStation. Capcom could use some momentum going into the new generation after going through a disastrous period last time around. Let's hope they change the direction they were taking with the latest Resident Evil games and try to find their roots again.

Grin was taken from us far to early. They were a studio that would have gotten better with time. Wanted, Bionic Commando Rearmed. and Bionic Commando were good games in their own right. Can't defend Terminator Salvation though but I hope that was a case of being forced to push it out quickly to release with the movie.

At least the salvages from Grin, Might and Delight and Overkill Software, have made some cool games (Pid, Shelter, Payday).

Sgblues

Hopefully, hopefully this turns out to be true and hopefully this would turn out to be something good.

.....hopefully.

My greatest/sadest memory of dino crisis was making those toxic tarts then watching as a raptor slowly and painfully died from it... I stopped playing after that. I just don't have the heart for it -_-

Why was the reboot idea thread shutdown OP?

Anyway this is pretty exciting news, as this was my favorite PS series (even above RE). Whether it turns out well or not, it'll be good to see some Dinosaur action in the gaming space.

As for what to do with the reboot:

• Keep it more or less similar in setting and plot to the first game. Island with a facility, ops team goes in to apprehend Dr. Edwards and shit hits the fan when dinosaurs make their debut. Have Regina, Gail, and Rick return.
  • Allow the greater maneuverability akin to RE6, but restrain some of the dodge mechanics by keeping it contextual to enemy attacks and environment rather than anywhere/anytime rolling of Rivia fest. For example, have the character hug a wall or drop to the floor in a hallway rather than performing a roll that is ridiculous in both observation and use.
  • Retain the tactical nature of tranquilizers (sorry KojiKnight :( ) and limited ammunition. Encounters between the player and raptors should be cat and mouse throughout the wings of the facility. Have the vent traversal be real time as an option to the player if things go sour.
  • Bleeding, only to be cured through Hemostats, can have the dinosaurs stalk the player and make it more difficult to move without tipping them off the player's presence.
  • Flesh out the story a bit with the characters and situation. Do not make it too big though. No world domination, no crazy take over schemes. Just have it as an accident in alternative energy that can be taken further into conspiracy territory in a sequel if they wish to do so. In other words, drop the weapon project angle of the first game to allow for expansion in the next game. Also, return to split paths for replay value.
  • No human enemies or cover system. Again, sequel territory. Keep things focused for now.
  • Dinosaurs be feathered. Capcom does well with design and animation, and the brunt of it should be here. Keep the basics from the first game, with the focus on the raptors.
  • Own mercenaries mode.

This sounds a lot like a retread of what the original was, which it is. It's a good, simple framework to keep Capcom focused and prevent them running away into their "signature Capcom action/gameplay/story" that they've been pushing post RE4. It's also been well more than long enough that pulling a REmake with Dino Crisis would be just as effective as wiping the slate clean.

As for if this is the game mentioned in OPM UK....I doubt it considering this was a Playstation first franchise (including GS4) until Dino Crisis 3 on Xbox. I really wish it would be PS4/PC only.

Dandalf

Neo Member
I really hope this is true.

If they do reboot Dino Crisis I hope they keep the same arcade feel Dino Crisis 2 had. The first Dino Crisis was great in its own right, but I think the Extinction Points and run and gun nature of DC2 set it apart from Resident Evil at the time.

The first Dino Crisis felt a bit like RE with dinosaurs, but the changes Capcom made in DC2 solidified it as its own series by giving it its own unique feel, and I loved that.

I still worry that it's Capcom and they'll somehow screw it up, though...

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Turn it into a MH like clone but with microtransactions. I'm sure that would do great in JP.

Nachtmaer

As for what to do with the reboot:

• Keep it more or less similar in setting and plot to the first game. Island with a facility, ops team goes in to apprehend Dr. Edwards and shit hits the fan when dinosaurs make their debut. Have Regina, Gail, and Rick return.
  • Allow the greater maneuverability akin to RE6, but restrain some of the dodge mechanics by keeping it contextual to enemy attacks and environment rather than anywhere/anytime rolling of Rivia fest. For example, have the character hug a wall or drop to the floor in a hallway rather than performing a roll that is ridiculous in both observation and use.
  • Retain the tactical nature of tranquilizers (sorry KojiKnight :( ) and limited ammunition. Encounters between the player and raptors should be cat and mouse throughout the wings of the facility. Have the vent traversal be real time as an option to the player if things go sour.
  • Bleeding, only to be cured through Hemostats, can have the dinosaurs stalk the player and make it more difficult to move without tipping them off the player's presence.
  • Flesh out the story a bit with the characters and situation. Do not make it too big though. No world domination, no crazy take over schemes. Just have it as an accident in alternative energy that can be taken further into conspiracy territory in a sequel if they wish to do so. In other words, drop the weapon project angle of the first game to allow for expansion in the next game. Also, return to split paths for replay value.
  • No human enemies or cover system. Again, sequel territory. Keep things focused for now.
  • Dinosaurs be feathered. Capcom does well with design and animation, and the brunt of it should be here. Keep the basics from the first game, with the focus on the raptors.
  • Own mercenaries mode.

This is something I'd love to see in a Dino Crisis reboot. I'd rather have something that's more survival horror like the first game. Considering Capcom's current state, I can't help but feel that if this thing takes off, it'll be nothing more than an action game where you shoot hordes of dinosaurs.

Top Bottom