• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anonymous Indie Devs speak out on the growing pains of Switch eShop Curation

Ridley327

EASY. They opened the doors wide open for me. Who at that point had no experiences and never even made a game yet.

I feel the likes of The Letter, Meme Run & U CRAFT dev (though never ever completing it) caused too much drama and sullied the "good name" of eShop and made them take this really weird position. Except, they are outright denying bigger indies. Like Axom Verge...

That last one been cleared up at this point since it's getting a release on the Switch, including a physical copy at retail. Not sure what NoA's reasons would be for not approving it sooner, but perhaps they saw how quickly Blaster Master Zero was coming out and thought that there were enough similarities to pump the brakes for just a little bit on AV until that game had its time to shine.

Just baseless speculation, but it would be such a Nintendo thing for this to be the result of them taking to heart the criticism of Wii U launch ports (Arkham, Mass Effect, Darksiders, etc) and course correcting far too much. I mean, think about how much they apparently listened to club Nintendo surveys.

Peltz

I hope they turn this around. That's a bad perception to have amongst indie developers. They're essential to the Switch.

For every step or two forward, they seem to take one back. I mean, I love the amount of indies they attracted and how there is a big indie game each week, but I can't say I see the harm in allowing quality titles like Axiom Verge, Cosmic Star Heroine, etc... on the eShop, and we know that both of those Developers (and others) have been vocal about wanting to release a Switch version.

Nintendo, get this fixed so all quality indies that want to make games on your system are easily able to.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think it easy... If Nintendo thinks the game would still sell well on the eShop, ports are okay especially if they at least add something new. They are probably against some devs just dumping their whole catalogue of b-tier 3DS/WiiU software on Switch.

Current Indie lineup and future outlook is rather positive.

Why seems so hard for Nintendo give as many dev kits to devs team as posible? It's a security measure? It's part of their business model to sell dev kits? They dont have that many dev kits? They are just slow to evaluate dev teams?

Please answer this thinking like Nintendo.

And yet Poisoft managed to get Vroom in the Night Sky into the eShop.

If these reports are true, Nintendo's curation direction is definitely bizarre.
One dev seems to think they are under staffed, which could be the reason some devs feel like they are left in the cold.

Zhenghua Yang (Z) of Serenity Forge
I think now-a-days the eShop teams across the board have been amazing people to work with, and Nintendo is no different. From what I can tell, both PlayStation and Xbox teams have very dedicated teams and account managers working with their developers. Nintendo, on the other hand, is probably more short-staffed. Each person always seems like they're juggling a lot on their plate. If anything, as a developer I hope that Nintendo would bring on more people to help out the eShop team.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
For every step or two forward, they seem to take one back. I mean, I love the amount of indies they attracted and how there is a big indie game each week, but I can't say I see the harm in allowing quality titles like Axiom Verge, Cosmic Star Heroine, etc... on the eShop, and we know that both of those Developers (and others) have been vocal about wanting to release a Switch version.

Nintendo, get this fixed so all quality indies that want to make games on your system are easily able to.

Actually, about that

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231722980&postcount=174

It happened once Robert Zeboyd contacted Damon Baker himself on Twitter through DM, the same day he made it accessible for everyone to pitch to him game using the platform.

The Boat

You've got a bunch of these on the first page.
Par for the course.

Considering the Nindies line-up, it's pretty obvious that it's currently shaping way better than how it was on Wii U and 3DS. It doesn't change the fact that there may be a deeper problem that won't let some devs getting access to the machine.

I don't think anyone would say no to a straight port of Axiom Verge with, say, HD Rumble included as an exclusive feature. Damon Baker said that they were looking first at new games, and it's even more obvious when you look at the current Nindies line-up, but still, we could get both old and new games at the same time. How could it hurt the consumer ?

I'd be more interested in a portable version of Axiom Verge than, say, a new experience like TumbleSeed.
Sure, I don't know if this was the best approach, I'm sure there's a lot for them to work on.
As said before, this is a launch thing, so I'm assuming they're just trying to keep some control on the line-up during launch period (while dealing with dev kit distribution shortages maybe?). Whether this is a good idea or not I don't know, but the Switch is two months old and in the end, we will end up getting games like Axiom Verge, so I'm not very worried or pessimistic about this.
Edit: oh the axiom verge thing was fake? Bummer.

TheChaos

Sounds like those games were intended to be straight ports, which Nintendo won't allow unless there is something new they added or that they arrive on the Switch first. If so that explains why Hollow Knight has no PS4 version. =/

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sounds like those games were intended to be straight ports, which Nintendo won't allow unless there is something new they added or that they arrive on the Switch first.

For a system that is struggling to get games released, this is a very peculiar stance. If you want to limit bad ports, then sure, just say no to those. Doesn't have to be all or none.

OmegaX

Actually (unless things changed in the meanwhile)

http://gonintendo.com/stories/275199...me-development
I agree, it can't be WayForward. I'm pretty sure they'll be porting Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero to Switch.
It might be Jools Watsham (Mutant Mudds, Xeodrifter), he was complaining on Twitter a lot for not being able to get a Switch dev kit. I think the reason might be that he separated from his former company so maybe he had to restart his relationship with Nintendo from scratch.

Edit: I'm wrong. He resolved his issues and announced 2 games for Switch already:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...nd_mutant_mudds_are_coming_to_nintendo_switch
I wonder who the mystery developer might be then.

GulAtiCa

That last one been cleared up at this point since it's getting a release on the Switch, including a physical copy at retail. Not sure what NoA's reasons would be for not approving it sooner, but perhaps they saw how quickly Blaster Master Zero was coming out and thought that there were enough similarities to pump the brakes for just a little bit on AV until that game had its time to shine.

Uhhh, are you talking about that thread here recently? No it's not. The Dev recently on Twitter said that news is completely false and Nintendo still denying them.

TheChaos

For a system that is struggling to get games released, this is a very peculiar stance. If you want to limit bad ports, then sure, just say no to those. Doesn't have to be all or none.

It's kind of what Nintendo does. They did it back on the Wii U with games like Mass Effect and Batman where they have some extra frivolous hoo-ha knickknack stuff added for seemingly no reason.

Seems to be something strange going on with Nintendo and indie devs at the moment. Some have sung their praises for how easy Nintendo have made it all, others have expressed frustrations just trying to get their foot in the door.

Could be a symptom of a highly selective system showing heavy favouritism, or it might be a case of the system itself kinda changing regularly so different people are getting different responses.

They said they didn't want ports? Why??

If I'm reading it right it sounded like the issue for at least one of them was that they were talking to an "Exclusives guy" at Nintendo without realizing it and that guy instead of redirecting them to the right people, would just go silent. They basically had to hook up with a publisher to get those contacts (or even possibly realize that those contacts existed?).

There have been a lot of eShop games released since launch and quite a few slated for release in the upcoming months. Don't think getting indies is much of an issue for now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I agree, it can't be WayForward. I'm pretty sure they'll be porting Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero to Switch.
It might be Jools Watsham (Mutant Mudds, Xeodrifter), he was complaining on Twitter a lot for not being able to get a Switch dev kit. I think the reason might be that he separated from his former company so maybe he had to restart his relationship with Nintendo from scratch.

Actually, both Mutant Mudds and Treasurenauts were in the Nindies Showcase final slide, and Jools confirmed them via Twitter, so I don't know for that (I know he had difficulties in getting dev kits at first, though).

sirap

One dev seems to think they are under staffed, which could be the reason some devs feel like they are left in the cold.

Zhenghua Yang (Z) of Serenity Forge

That seems to be the most logical explanation. I wouldn't be surprised if they were short on dev kits either...I was expecting a lot more indie games available at launch. That would explain why it's taking indie devs a little bit longer to port their released games to the Switch (Hollow Knight, Stardew Valley etc).

Jackano

You might have a point if they were short of content but theres games being released every week on the eshop and there's a huge number coming, i just think a bit of perspective is needed, at this point in the life of the Wii U the floodgates still hadnt opened either

This curated shop isn't their policy going forward. They've said it's only for this early period in the system. You guys need to stop being so overdramatic about everything. This isn't even a defense of some of the pain point in the current process, just a note that they've literally said it's not a change in fundamental policy, just a different starting approach for the time being

But there is a difference between the policy/strategy you're both referring to, and barely answering to former partners, not allowing them to work on the system, while they've supported the Wii U/3DS in the past. Right now it hurts their own corporate image.
At the very least try to communicate and explain their schedule and policies (not just now but in 2016...).

And if they really want that much a good curated eShop, maybe they should start to actually have something that looks like a functionnal webstore, not like a sample twitter bootstrap template.

tolkir

Edit: I'm wrong. He resolved his issues and announced 2 games for Switch already:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...nd_mutant_mudds_are_coming_to_nintendo_switch
I wonder who the mystery developer might be then.

I though the same but Treasurenauts and Mutant Mudds are confirmed.

Edit: I have to read the full post first.

_h8bit

Banned
So each indie game port that's been on Switch thus far has had extra content piled on top of it for release:

- BOI: launched first on Switch with Afterbirth+
- Shovel Knight launched first on Switch with a new campaign
- Stardew Valley is launching first on Switch with MP
- Cave Story is launching in June with MP, bonus stages

Is Nintendo making this a requirement for a little while going forward? I can sorta see where they're coming from - enticing people to double dip for new content on Switch, but if they're turning away 1:1 ports entirely, that's pretty lame.

Ridley327

Uhhh, are you talking about that thread here recently? No it's not. The Dev recently on Twitter said that news is completely false and Nintendo still denying them.
Huh, I guess I misread the news then. In any event, I'm not sure Adelman calling his former co-workers douches is pragmatic at this juncture.

Actually, about that

It happened once Robert Zeboyd contacted Damon Baker himself on Twitter through DM, the same day he made it accessible for everyone to pitch to him game using the platform.

Glad to hear it. Definitely something I would consider picking up on the Switch. That said, I think it still makes the point that it shouldn't be that difficult for an indie that A.) wants to release on the eShop and B.) has a quality title that has some positive early reception.

We can all live without some of the garbage that was on the eShop, but it seems like there should be a happy medium between where the Wii U was and where the Switch is.

Y'know, as long as Nintendo is doing a good job with curation—and they seem to be—I think I prefer that approach, annoying as it may be for the developers on the outside.

We've all had these discussions with regard to Steam, and while I think Valve's approach has merits, I personally prefer going in the opposite direction. Every game should have a right to exist—but I don't necessarily want to see it all in the store.

But there is a difference between the policy/strategy you're both referring to, and barely answering to former partners, not allowing them to work on the system, while they've supported the Wii U/3DS in the past. Right now it hurts their own corporate image.
At the very least try to communicate and explain their schedule and policies (not just now but in 2016...).

And if they really want that much a good curated eShop, maybe they should start to actually have something that looks like a functionnal webstore, not like a sample twitter bootstrap template.

You do realize the people in charge of dev outreach and relationships have nothing to do with the eShop's technical aspects and UI, right?

But as one of the devs speculated, maybe the bigger issue, moreso than the policy, is simply the group is understaffed

Glix

You do realize the people in charge of dev outreach and relationships have nothing to do with the eShop's technical aspects and UI, right?

But as one of the devs speculated, maybe the bigger issue, moreso than the policy, is simply the group is understaffed

There are people above them that can make decisions and unify things. They are the same people that can allocate more staff. The things you are saying don't excuse anything.

If not and everything is super silo'd, thats BAD.

I hope you gents are right. I'm fully ready to have the Switch by my indie box. Would be great.
While bigger publishers are still a big question mark, there have been a couple eShop titles every week since launch. I don't think they would be denying devs if the situation was still dire. Though it is still early in the system's life so I imagine Nintendo would ease up soon enough once stock issues level out

OmegaX

Actually, both Mutant Mudds and Treasurenauts were in the Nindies Showcase final slide, and Jools confirmed them via Twitter, so I don't know for that (I know he had difficulties in getting dev kits at first, though).
Yeah, you are right. I edited my post.

I can't think of any developer that released several well received games on previous Nintendo systems that hasn't released or announced a game for Switch already.

There are people above them that can make decisions and unify things.

If not and everything is super silo'd, thats BAD.

This isn't really how tech companies operate...sales people seldom interact with engineering unless it's a large client (aka not an indie). Obviously there are people above both who manage everything, but it's not like they're all sitting in the same room. My point is they aren't silo'd, but the eShop team probably has its own roadmap of improvements and changes regardless of what the sales people are doing, unless some big client comes along and causes them to reorder priorities or make a drastic requested change

That seems to be the most logical explanation. I wouldn't be surprised if they were short on dev kits either...I was expecting a lot more indie games available at launch. That would explain why it's taking indie devs a little bit longer to port their released games to the Switch (Hollow Knight, Stardew Valley etc).
Yea still a bit of incompetence on Nintendo part though, they should've been more prepared for this. But this problem is a easy fix so i'm not worried.

Dascu

As indie dev myself looking forward to develop on Switch, I feel that some of these complaints are a bit dumb and/or can be explained due to it being a new system and the secrecy and capacity constraints that go with that.

Protome

So we might not get ports of great games but shovelware like Vroom in the Night Sky can pass curation (at launch no less!)

What a strange turnaround when not even a month ago people praised it to feel like Steam or something.

What a strange post that 5 devs out of nearly 100 signals a turnaround. These issue probably existed before and probably only affected a subset of indies

So we might not get ports of great games but shovelware like Vroom in the Night Sky can pass curation (at launch no less!)

Yup, just like the fact that Life of the Black Tiger for the PS4 inextricably getting promoted by Sony means other great games won't be released for the system. Really? We're at the point of clinging to a single title that represents more an exception than the rule as being indicative of something?

WayForward was my guess by the way. I don't see that them having teased something means that they haven't been frustrated, that interview may be a few weeks old by now.

I can't think of another western dev who could claim that their games were some of the best rated on Nintendo systems (although I can't be arsed to think about it too much)

GulAtiCa

Actually, about that

I tried that method. I got a email back with an example pitch pdf to help format/direct my pitch. Sent in my pitch pdf and never even got a response back. 6 weeks later..

Going to try again to NOA directly this time. They at least email me back usually.

Top Bottom