• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus Updates Person 5 streaming guidelines

http://atlus.com/update-persona-5-streaming/

To our surprise, we then saw numerous reactive news articles go up, opinion videos post, and received many emails asking us to please change our Persona 5 streaming/video policy. We recognize that our fans are the reason why the game is the major worldwide success it is, and we continue to want them to be able to enjoy the game without fear of being spoiled. However, we also heard your issues with the guidelines and have decided to revise them. Because we want to give players the most access to the game while respecting the original goal, we’re now asking players to refrain from streaming or posting video past the end of the in-game date of 11/19—when the main story gears up for the final act.

So slightly better than what the original guidelines were.

ultron87

We also want to apologize to those of you who saw the previous guidelines blog post as threatening. We want to be transparent about what we do, and the reason we released the guidelines was to give streamers the right information up front. It was never our intention to threaten people with copyright strikes, but we clearly chose the wrong tone for how to communicate this.

Y'all sure about that?

http://atlus.com/note-persona-5-streaming/

If you decide to stream past 7/7 (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING THIS, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED), you do so at the risk of being issued a content ID claim or worse, a channel strike/account suspension.

A-V-B

A guideline that really might've worked, if you wanted to keep spoilers at a minimum, is allow full streaming but say you can only title your video like

LPer - Game Title - Part # - In-Game Date

And disable comments.

That's where the majority of spoilers come from. The content of a video itself likely isn't going to spoil someone because they generally know what they're getting into. But video titles on the right hand bar of YouTube + Random spoiler comments... that's where actual danger comes from.

sjay1994

Doesn't matter anymore...

SBF LP died horribly because of the initial guidelines. The fact they still have restrictions shows how tone deaf the people in charge are.

Toki767

11/19 is much better as it doesn't spoil the best parts.

That said, I can't imagine anyone is really following these guidelines. Especially when you can youtube all the endings and relationship consequences already.

The End

Don't give a shit about streaming guildelines

Clicked into this thread hoping we could take screenshots now

Left disappointed.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Will this remove the dumb CANNOT TAKE SCREENSHOT warning every time I unlock a trophy?

How the hell did that get past QA.

Man, at first I read that as that they were enabling the share button up to that point, but nope, they just moved back the "we'll try to take your video down" line.

Honestly, while the fact that devs are even capable of disabling the share button is fucking stupid regardless, allowing it up until 11/19 and then shutting it off would at least be somewhat reasonable compared to just shutting it off entirely.

Not streaming allowed past 11/19 is actually a good thing. Because that's exactly the point when P5 completely goes to shit.

The fewer people exposed to that embarrassingly bad plot twist the better.

Seiniyta

In their attempt to prevent people from spoiling the game for others, they themselves spoiled the moment when the final part of the game happens. uh..

_woLf

I really don't see why they just don't get rid of the strict bullshit since it's doing nothing to stop spoilers and just pissing people off because they can't record or take screenshots of their favorite fucking moments in the game.

New Atlus PR guy has absolutely no idea what they're doing.

Zolo

Will this remove the dumb CANNOT TAKE SCREENSHOT warning every time I unlock a trophy?

That's still in the Japanese version, so I don't see it happening.

New Atlus PR guy has absolutely no idea what they're doing.
Not much one can do when it's not their decision.

That's on the PS4 OS, not on Atlus- ideally the OS should recognize when the share button is disabled and not try to auto-screenshot on trophy. Or have the trophy-auto-screenshot override that setting entirely.

Sophia

I really hope they weren't genuinely surprised by it. Issues regarding copyright and Youtubers/Streaming was and still is a big issue. Anyone keeping up with the news (or just reading GAF) would have known the writing was on the wall. : \

Also, the stream button is still blocked, so...

LeleSocho

Banned
When i read the title i was pleasantly surprised but then i read the statement and they just moved the goalpost... idiots.
Still happy i refunded the game as soon as i heard the news.

Pics_nao

Game has been out for what, 2/3 weeks now? Any one who cared would've bought and more than likely finished the game by now. Fuck off Atlus.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
That's still completely unacceptable, and now you've told people exactly when the endgame starts.

For real lol.

"We don't want people getting spoiled. btdubz here's when the game's ending starts"

Ray Down

Banned
In their attempt to prevent people from spoiling the game for others, they themselves spoiled the moment when the final part of the game happens. uh..

Yeah this whole thing is just dumb.

Just don't have any stream restrictions at all at this point.

Atlus are inadvertently spoiling their own game by telling us spoiler dates, then tell us they want to do this to avoid spoilers.

Fucking facepalm.

AHA-Lambda

Ah but are they still planning to enforce takedowns for any streams past that new later date?

The statement is apologetic but doesn't outright state that they're peddling back on that.
And if they are then they can't enforce this new 11/19 rule anyway.

FHIZ

"To our surprise"

Yeah... nah. I don't feel like it's a stretch that Atlus USA wasn't too thrilled about having to be the ones to say that shit. The reaction had to be expected and could then have been used for leverage.

It's still stupid. i've seen tons of streams that just ignored it. At this point it's just ridiculous that you can't even take a screen shot.

Zakkath

If someone does not want the game spoiled for him, he can always NOT watch people streaming it. *gasp*

Atlus is just trying to spin this.

I dunno a cursory glance at Youtube seems to indicate that most people just ignored the rule, there's a ton of footage of the late game and the ending I know many streamers just ignored the guidelines anyways. This does basically nothing to stop spoilers and only really dissuades semi-big name YouTubers from covering the game.

Still sucks this is there at all, but ideally, they just let it loose at some point.
They let it loose from day one. Major steamers steamed the whole game already.

It's too little too late for me since they already killed the only Let's Play I was interested in seeing anyway.

RIP Hank Hill sama.

Lucumo

[...]and we continue to want them to be able to enjoy the game without fear of being spoiled.
People accidentally consciously watch a stream they don't want to watch for several minutes?

Someone should update this title with the proper game name, I tell you whut

Part of me wonders if this was the plan all along, to gradually roll back the streaming provisions ("we're responding to an outpouring of concern!") until eventually the whole game can be streamed without legal threat. Provides cover for Atlus USA to say they fulfilled the home office's demands and reducing (to a minor extent) the likelihood of someone stumbling on a stream and getting spoiled, while not having ridiculous streaming/sharing policies in the long run.

But also, whatever. I kind of feel like Atlus USA hasn't actually been filing any copyright strikes. It hasn't exactly been difficult to find Persona 5 media past the original no-stream date.

The big question is whether Atlus will ever patch the game to remove the blocks on PS4 streaming/screenshots/recording.

Top Bottom