• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you want an F-Zero GX DX on the Switch?

Madao

I want every game on switch. I don't get these threads. I can't think of one game that I wouldn't want the added gift of portability for. Give me everything!

this helps the argument a lot since we never got a 3D portable F-Zero game. series died before Nintendo had 3D capable handhelds.

Ezalc

I desperately want a new F-Zero. If that means an enhanced port of the original, X or GX I don't give a shit I'm buying it. Hell could be the gba games too because while the two styles of F-Zero are different, they're both fun as hell.

I just want more F-Zero goddamnit.

conpfreak

They are aware it flopped harder than any game they make yes. I often wonder if people think publishers are charities.

I think a game like F-Zero GX would do much better in 2017 than at its release. It's technical and competitive, yet pretty easy to pick up and play. They should give a remaster a chance.

Cpt Lmao

It's silly Nintendo haven't done this already.

Feel like you can't take f-zero further? Don't want to put the resources into a new one? Fine, then give us GX with online and HD textures.

ITSMILNER

Wasn't there a Nintendo interview around January where they mentioned they were looking at bringing GC games to Switch but not nessasary via a VC option? Could HD DX versions be the way they bring them over?

Persona7

Banned
They are aware it flopped harder than any game they make yes. I often wonder if people think publishers are charities.

Did it really? It sold over 100k in Japan and made player's choice in North America. I don't remember the sales threshold but it was under a million.

hotcyder

Would you want to risk another F-Zero or would you want a DX treatment with updated graphics, 8 new tracks, 5 new characters, maybe a new mode and of course online play of 30 or if not at least 16 racers.

hC5tVpE.png

I'm kind of with Miyamoto - and will say as they don't really need to do anything new, a port of GX is fine by me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'd buy it. I would even rather have a new one, IF there is someone who could actually make that today. Could Sega still pull it off? Does Nintendo have the ability (or will) to make a really challenging futuristic racer? MK is so, so different. And as we've all heard, Miyamoto apparently didn't like how GX turned out, for some unfathomable reason. Maybe because it was such a difficult game. Or maybe it just didn't sell very well. I do NOT want an easy, casual F-Zero. If that's what it would be I'd rather they just not bother.

Gong

This is one case where I would crawl over broken glass bare-chested (not nude, I'm not a total loon) for the greater good if it meant it was to be updated and released on the Switch. It's like Sony releasing WipEout Omega on PS4, is a stunning package and I'm so glad it exists and F-Zero GX fits right into that category IMO.

Madao

I'd buy it. I would even rather have a new one, IF there is someone who could actually make that today. Could Sega still pull it off? Does Nintendo have the ability (or will) to make a really challenging futuristic racer? MK is so, so different. And as we've all heard, Miyamoto apparently didn't like how GX turned out, for some unfathomable reason. Maybe because it was such a difficult game. Or maybe it just didn't sell very well. I do NOT want an easy, casual F-Zero. If that's what it would be I'd rather they just not bother.

it was about the sales they were disappointed with. they just never say that directly and make up something else.
after all, anyone who invested like they did on that game and got a bomb would be pretty disappointed.

Did it really? It sold over 100k in Japan and made player's choice in North America. I don't remember the sales threshold but it was under a million.

some games that bomb got put in the Player's Choice line to give them a second chance at $20. GX was one of those. if it had actually made it to a million, we'd have seen it in a sales compilation thread here on GAF a long time ago.

TZchassis

The Switch = We will see half the games of Nintendo's more popular games (e.g. 1 Mario Kart rather than 2, for a console and portable)

This gives me a strong hope that development teams will have a lot of opportunities to revisit old less popular franchises such as F-Zero or create new ones (ARMS!)

I always preferred F Zero the SNES style, but I still liked the 3D ones though it changed the feel for me.

I was thinking about this the other day. I really wanted F Zero at E3. So why not a game with a decent SP mode. I know it will never happen but an F Zero game with the same modes plus onlone plus a robust SP that is basically a GP mode alternating with Smash sections beat em up using Captain Falcon Smash mechanics. I would love that.

Or anything NEW.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
What the fuck?

Why the holy hell would anyone say no to this question???

YES I WOULD WANT A DELUXE ONLINE HD VERSION OF THE GREATEST RACING GAME EVER FUCKING MADE PLAYABLE ON MY TV OR ON THE SHITTER PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

The best thing about Nintendo blowing their load of heavy hitters in Switch's first year - hopefully it means they'll have to dig deeper into their catalogue for year 2 & 3.

I'm really sick of the last word on this series being their "no ideas" comment, or that people think it won't sell enough. Just like Metroid, it's been long enough that it's mere existence would be fine for most fans, and to everyone younger it'd essentially be all new (even a GX HD). The western world still hasn't had a track editor either, so that'd be pretty damn new! I hoped they'd continue the "Maker" series with an F-Zero Maker (or others) but nope...

It's just so annoying and we all know why - at times, they're happy to release cookie cutter games with minimal innovation. And at others, happy to release library-fillers that don't sell gangbusters. I was really surprised to see token Kirby and Yoshi games show up at E3... I thought after Wii U they'd be trying to have more variety in their lineup, something to attract new buyers and not the same old crowd.

I had a great time with Woolly World but it wasn't that long ago; i just don't think i care whatever they're doing there now (and so far it doesn't look like they're doing much). They're gonna run those series into the ground they way they're going.

"No ideas" aside, i'm surprised they haven't bought F-Zero back for it's IP potential alone. Do they realise how many amiibo they could make with all the characters it has? Sure you've got some throwaways in there, but the 4 original characters and a bunch of the others could work. Make them pullback toys or cross promo with Hot Wheels or Scalextric! Just please don't turn F-Zero into a character action game of some sort, they've got enough of those already!

Persona7

Banned
it was about the sales they were disappointed with. they just never say that directly and make up something else.
after all, anyone who invested like they did on that game and got a bomb would be pretty disappointed.

some games that bomb got put in the Player's Choice line to give them a second chance at $20. GX was one of those. if it had actually made it to a million, we'd have seen it in a sales compilation thread here on GAF a long time ago.

Do you have a source on this information? I think PC required something like 300k or maybe even 250k. I guess it depends on the budget.

Oreoleo

hC5tVpE.png

I'm kind of with Miyamoto - and will say as they don't really need to do anything new, a port of GX is fine by me.
I hate this line of thinking from Miyamoto that a good game isn't worth making if it isn't doing something new. Don't over think things! Messing with the formula is what ruined Star Fox Zero.

The best thing about Nintendo blowing their load of heavy hitters in Switch's first year - hopefully it means they'll have to dig deeper into their catalogue for year 2 & 3.

I'm really sick of the last word on this series being their "no ideas" comment, or that people think it won't sell enough. Just like Metroid, it's been long enough that it's mere existence would be fine for most fans, and to everyone younger it'd essentially be all new (even a GX HD). The western world still hasn't had a track editor either, so that'd be pretty damn new! I hoped they'd continue the "Maker" series with an F-Zero Maker (or others) but nope...

It's just so annoying and we all know why - at times, they're happy to release cookie cutter games with minimal innovation. And at others, happy to release library-fillers that don't sell gangbusters. I was really surprised to see token Kirby and Yoshi games show up at E3... I thought after Wii U they'd be trying to have more variety in their lineup, something to attract new buyers and not the same old crowd.

I had a great time with Woolly World but it wasn't that long ago; i just don't think i care whatever they're doing there now (and so far it doesn't look like they're doing much). They're gonna run those series into the ground they way they're going.

"No ideas" aside, i'm surprised they haven't bought F-Zero back for it's IP potential alone. Do they realise how many amiibo they could make with all the characters it has? Sure you've got some throwaways in there, but the 4 original characters and a bunch of the others could work. Make them pullback toys or cross promo with Hot Wheels or Scalextric! Just please don't turn F-Zero into a character action game of some sort, they've got enough of those already!

Thank you. Another Kirby and Yoshi? Really? Ok maybe Kirby was a Wii U game as we didn't get a traditional Kirby game on that, but why another Yoshi so soon? These games would have been perfect for 2019. Would have been more excited for them.

Give me F-Zero (preferably GX, I honestly don't believe they could make something better right now!), a new Pilotwings, Advance Wars. Make a full on new Balloon Fight or Ice Climbers (even if it's eshop only like Dr. Mario on Wii U)

Heck we are getting more Kirby games than Mario Party games lately. More Fire Emblem games than Mario Sports games.

As someone who was younger during the GameCube era and didn't have a chance to play many titles for it due to owning a ps2 and not having the money at a young age for another console, I would love this. But even better, give us GameCube VC.

Bryan1321

Banned
F-Zero GX it's so good that even Switch can't run it because of analog triggers. And honestly i don't see a way back to the N64 controls

Thank you. Another Kirby and Yoshi? Really? Ok maybe Kirby was a Wii U game as we didn't get a traditional Kirby game on that, but why another Yoshi so soon? These games would have been perfect for 2019. Would have been more excited for them.

I think the reason is, they can't trust those teams with anything else. They finish one and the move onto the next in the series straight away. For all Nintendo's expansion, too many of their teams are still ill-equipped for modern development. 2D Metroid shouldn't need a random partner every time to get made, Sakamoto's team should be able to do it themselves. Game Freak shouldn't be making Pokemon games that they can't get to run in 3D!

And agreed on 2019 for Kirby & Yoshi. I've been very against the idea of MK8 Deluxe since it was so soon, yet I find myself buying without hesitation, Wipeout Omega Collection, and loving it all over again. A game i essentially paid and played 3 times in full before - on PSP, PS3 and Vita. Enough time has passed, enough improvement made, and enough discount given that it becomes worth it. Hell, even the original MK8 left me a bit sick of the series, given how soon after 7 it was and how similarly it played.

Give me F-Zero (preferably GX, I honestly don't believe they could make something better right now!), a new Pilotwings, Advance Wars. Make a full on new Balloon Fight or Ice Climbers (even if it's eshop only like Dr. Mario on Wii U)

So much time has passed, people moved on... but I still think only Nintendo or Nagoshi again could come close to GX. It was the perfect marriage of EAD and the Daytona team, i remember being so excited when the news first broke! I don't like to remember the game with Miyamoto's later quotes about disappointment (sales, or whatever he actually meant) ... i prefer this one from when it was released:

Takaya Imamura said:
Of course, since I have worked on the F-Zero series, and seeing the results of the collaboration with Sega, I found myself at something of a loss as to how we can take the franchise further past F-Zero GX and AX.

I could see with that remark, them being happy to leave it as the last hurrah.

Heck we are getting more Kirby games than Mario Party games lately. More Fire Emblem games than Mario Sports games.

For sure. It's great that FE was saved, but they should be using that to help bring back Advance Wars as well. Before long, FE will run out of (codename) steam!

yurinka

Miyamoto said they don't make a new F-Zero because (ignoring the decreasing sales of the genre and series) he doesn't know what to add to the franchise.

But it's easy: a Switch version of F-Zero GX + F-Zero AX content (or even a F-Zero X remake) at 1080p/60 fps with online multiplayer, trophy-like challenges and local 4P multiplayer. Just with that many people would be happy.

To bring more people and add more value to the port purchase you can also add a Wipeout-like campaign where each event can be a race, time trial, best lap, eliminator (last vehicle is eliminated in each lap), etc., more unlockables like artwork and remixed+classic music tracks, amibo support for ship skips, mirror+reverse versions of the tracks where possible.

After this, I'd make a brand new one with the Mario Kart team or to call Sumo Digital because they did a great job with Out Run and Sonic & All Stars Racing games, or R8 games because with a very limited budget they are doing a great job with Formula Fusion and many of their members did work on different Wipeout games. Not Shin-en because their games are beautiful but their gameplay is poor.

ReBurn

Gold Member
People in hell want ice water, too. They stand as much chance as we do of getting F-Zero on Switch.

are you insinuating that F-Zero GX's gameplay has been left behind by modern (i'm guessing imaginary) futuristic racers? :p

I haven't played any racers with comparable gameplay, but I played F-Zero GX a year ago or so an I had the feeling that this gameplay could have evolved and its noticeable that this is more than 10 years old.

ec0ec0

I haven't played any racers with comparable gameplay, but I played F-Zero GX a year ago or so an I had the feeling that this gameplay could have evolved and its noticeable that this is more than 10 years old.

the thing with GX is that, when someone criticizes its gameplay, i can't know if they were just playing by what the game manual said, or if they read something on the internet about how to play better or not, and, if not, if they were able to figure it out by themselves or not. All this is critical to the experience that you may have with the game.

the thing with GX is that, when someone criticizes its gameplay, i can't know if they were just playing by what the game manual said, or if they read something on the internet about how to play better or not, and, if not, if they were able to figure it out by themselves or not. All this is critical to the experience that you may have with the game.

So you think its the pinnacle of game design and can't be improved upon?

I am usually under the impression that I am quite good, especially at futuristic racers.

Edit:
Even if no other changes are made than these...
I want it at 4K 60fps w/ HDR but I'll settle for 1080p 60fps with online play.

...it would already be a major improvement.

I want it at 4K 60fps w/ HDR but I'll settle for 1080p 60fps with online play. Anything less I wouldn't be interested.

hC5tVpE.png

If this was why we weren't getting F-Zero, we wouldn't be getting a Kirby or Yoshi Switch either, as they're not doing anything new. Or any 2D Mario games, as they're all essentially the same game with level packs.

He should be honest and just say "Yo, F-Zero sells like shit"

Top Bottom