• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro: who blinked first...Microsoft or Sony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Now with all that out of the way who is REALLY the initiator of this iterative console model?

Who blinked first.....Microsoft or Sony?

Obviously the one that was talked about first, specs leaked first and launched first.

Sony.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Like I said, the rumors about a powerful Nintendo console, that has to be it.

There haven't been any remotely credible rumors about Nintendo making a powerful console at all. Just sporadic fanboy nonsense in NX speculation threads, come on. 99% of Nintendo fans didn't even fall for that stuff.

Please point out these rumors/leaks. I honestly think Nintendo wasn't even on either Sony or Microsoft's radar when designing their next-gen refreshes. I don't have a clue how you came to that conclusion.

Dr.brain64

When the OneX hits $300 that will be the day I (and everyone else) get one but then again by that time it might be too late (ps5 etc etc).

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Consumers for willing to buy into this shit instead of just building a pc that does more for less. Don't blame the corporations for your own stupidity.

Maybe that "stupid idiot" just wants to play a nice version of Red Dead Redemption 2?

Don't make the mistake the PC is always the answer because it isn't.

Megatron

It's an interesting question. The obvious answer is Sony, since they released a year earlier, but you have to wonder why they did. They already had the most powerful console. They should have let Microsoft release the X and then released a more powerfull pro a year later. Now for some reason, Sony has the second and third most powerful consoles, while Microsoft has the first and fourth. The difference between the one and one x are far greater than that of the PS4 pro, so why did Sony bother?

Apparently the answer is VR. Sony developed a console that could handle vr better than he PS4 could. Microsoft found out what they were doing and announced Scorpio before Sony announced the pro. Only Microsoft didn't care about vr, they saw this as an opportunity to have the most powerful console again.

I think Sony caught wind of what Microsoft was up to and decided to beat them to the punch with their own option, and with all the planning and research that is a constant within Sony as it relates to how they can refresh or refine their hardware,

They figured they had to boost performance, come in at an ultra cheap price, and this explains why they were so willing to sacrifice a very obvious upgrade such as a UHD Blu Ray drive.

Can you just imagine a world where no PS4 Pro happened, and it was just Xbox One/Xbox One S/PS4, and now finally Xbox One X. Sony couldn't allow Microsoft to occupy that space on their own. Being weaker didn't matter. They just couldn't be a no show. And on the positive side, it would make the amazing work happening at so many studios, especially their own first parties, shine even brighter to have an additional, more powerful option for ps4 gamers out there. And that first party content taken to another level for a more powerful version of the PS4, I'm sure, is something Sony felt confident putting up against whatever they felt Microsoft would have on offer

I think Sony definitely caught wind of Scorpio and reacted, and were naturally caught flat footed in some areas. I don't think it would have been Sony's first choice to ever release such a product without UHD Blu Ray. I don't think Sony ever wanted such a system without even more memory bandwidth, but had to do what they could with the options before them.

What puts my theory into doubt is the existence of PS VR, right? I sort've look at that and think Sony didn't mind PS VR coasting for awhile on regular PS4, and then taking it to another level with the next Playstation. I feel Microsoft forced their hand on PS4 Pro.

One's a mid-gen refresh, and the other is a generation-less console.

What's a "generation-less console" anyhow... aside from another buzzword like high-quality pixel.

The two consoles are exactly the same, just marketed differently, as one competitor is looking for a turnaround while the other one proactively tried to protect its castle.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Obviously the one that was talked about first, specs leaked first and launched first.

Sony.

Well, Phil Spencer talked about Xbox hardware upgrades at Xbox Spring Showcase 2016 well before Patrick Klepick broke the story of PS4 Pro during GDC2016

Didn't Phil say they where thinking about releasing Scorpio around when Sony dropped the Pro but decided to wait longer instead in order to make something more significant because they weren't happy with where it was at?

I wonder if Sony heard these rumblings of MS working on something and wanting to wait longer and then released theirs when they did because they thought it would pressure MS to follow suit with a comparably speced box that they weren't totally happy with instead of taking more time to make it more powerful?

Obviously this is speculation in a speculation thread lol.

Well, Phil Spencer talked about Xbox hardware upgrades at Xbox Spring Showcase 2016 well before Patrick Klepick broke the story of PS4 Pro during GDC2016
To be honest, Netflix let the cat out of the bag at the beginning of 2015 as they mentioned 4K versions of consoles coming out, and that Sony had ”promised" a hardware rev for the PS4 that will include a 4K video capability.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01/12/tv-hdr-4k-ces-2015-netflix_n_6455936.html

Kthulhu

Sony said themselves they didnt want gamers to move to PC for VR and thus they did the Pro.

MS wanted true 4k.

Both had different outcomes to to after.

Not to mention MS seems to be after the home theater crowd with Atmos and 4K Blu Ray support.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Hostile much?

I have a gaming PC and an entire room dedicated to Vive.

I still own a Pro and will get a 1X. There are plenty of reason to do so. You're stance also negates console exclusive. Many of which are fantastic.
This is where I'm at. All platforms have some inherent strengths and missing any of them would be a shame. I love my PC to pieces, I also adore my Pro and I am absolutely stoked for the X. When Nintendo gets their shit together and I can actually find stock of the Switch I'll get on that too; best of every world.

xabbott

Well if Phil is telling the truth and you want a console that has a jag cpu holding back devs for years then sure .

I will stick with the classic generational approach Sony is taking . If it ain't broke and all that .

I think people misunderstand the idea of a console without generations. It's the same approach PC, tablets, and phones are using. Once you go far enough out you can stop supporting older consoles.

Will that model work for consoles? I think it's going to depend a lot on how fast physical sales die off. Once the majority of sales are digital you can create dynamic stores that only display titles that run on certain hardware.

The only thing that keeps x1 back is its CPU. Otherwise it is basically a next gen console.

I'm not even an xbox fan and believe this.

You realise the gap between the Pro and X is equivalent to the gap between the Xbone and PS4, right? So do you think the Xbone and PS4 are their own generations?

You don't have to be a Xbox fan to be completely wrong.

Anyway, I don't think think either blinked first. Both mid-gen upgrades were a direct result of the technology they're both using, the die shrink coming at a convenient time and the rise of 4K TVs.

I think Sony caught wind of what Microsoft was up to and decided to beat them to the punch with their own option, and with all the planning and research that is a constant within Sony as it relates to how they can refresh or refine their hardware,

They figured they had to boost performance, come in at an ultra cheap price, and this explains why they were so willing to sacrifice a very obvious upgrade such as a UHD Blu Ray drive.

Can you just imagine a world where no PS4 Pro happened, and it was just Xbox One/Xbox One S/PS4, and now finally Xbox One X. Sony couldn't allow Microsoft to occupy that space on their own. Being weaker didn't matter. They just couldn't be a no show. And on the positive side, it would make the amazing work happening at so many studios, especially their own first parties, shine even brighter to have an additional, more powerful option for ps4 gamers out there. And that first party content taken to another level for a more powerful version of the PS4, I'm sure, is something Sony felt confident putting up against whatever they felt Microsoft would have on offer

I think Sony definitely caught wind of Scorpio and reacted, and were naturally caught flat footed in some areas. I don't think it would have been Sony's first choice to ever release such a product without UHD Blu Ray. I don't think Sony ever wanted such a system without even more memory bandwidth, but had to do what they could with the options before them.

What puts my theory into doubt is the existence of PS VR, right? I sort've look at that and think Sony didn't mind PS VR coasting for awhile on regular PS4, and then taking it to another level with the next Playstation. I feel Microsoft forced their hand on PS4 Pro.

This has no basis in reality.

The truth of the matter is AMD likely approached both MS and Sony years ago when they were developing 16nm chips.

Knowing that much of the cost is sunk getting the original chips to a smaller size, AMD asked both partners if there was any interest in releasing the same size chips as OG consoles but with more power.

If anything, the fact that Sony launched so much earlier suggests that they were more prepared and Microsoft was reactionary. I wouldn't be surprised if MS had a wait and see approach and let Sony blink first so they could try and figure out how to release something more powerful after the embarrassing Xbox One power fiasco, clearly that has been a major point of contention with Phil even though my personal belief is that it's misguided to solely pin the backlash on Xbox One down mostly to power.

Hell, the chips in XBX and Pro are almost identical, there's really no reason MS couldn't have released last year. It's essentially a very similar chip with more RAM and better cooling.

RomeoDog

Banned
You realise the gap between the Pro and X is equivalent to the gap between the Xbone and PS4, right? So do you think the Xbone and PS4 are their own generations?

Anyway, I don't think think either blinked first. Both mid-gen upgrades were a direct result of the technology they're both using, the die shrink coming at a convenient time and the rise of 4K TVs.

Since when does the PS4 have more ram? Or a newer GPU with more features, and custom CPU improvements over the XOS?

X1 isn't just a big graphic card like the pro. Its improved efficiency everywhere. The PS4 Pro doesn't even have more ram for higher quality assets than the PS4.

I'm definitely not completely wrong.

Since when does the PS4 have more ram? Or a newer GPU with more features, and custom CPU improvements over the XOS?

X1 isn't just a big graphic card like the pro. Its improved efficiency everywhere. The PS4 Pro doesn't even have more ram for higher quality assets than the PS4.

You are in regards to it being a new generation. The PS4 Pro has additional RAM allocated for games, higher speed GPU with double the cores (with customization as well), better onboard chipsets for video, and upclocked CPU.The Xbox One X also has these things, but with even more RAM and additional GPU power.

They are both mid-gen refreshes, just with different release years and thus different hardware revisions. MS is also still offering UHD blu-ray support, and has managed to be the first to use a vapor chamber for cooling like the one in my phone.

Regardless who blinked first or if no one blinked and they both came to the same conclusion, neither side were caught with their pants down.

Development of electronics hardware products take a bare minimum of 2 years. Even copycat products.

Anyone who thinks either side could rush to market a product based on "rumours & hear-say" of what the competition is doing and scale it down to a 12-months difference has never worked in or with a multinational electronics firm before.

Sony decided to release the best console they could make at $399 in 2016.
MS decided to release the best console they could make at $499 in 2017.

That's really all that needs to be said.

RomeoDog

Banned
You are in regards to it being a new generation. The PS4 Pro has additional RAM allocated for games, higher speed GPU with double the cores (with customization as well), better onboard chipsets for video, and upclocked CPU.The Xbox One X also has these things, but with even more RAM and additional GPU power.

They are both mid-gen refreshes, just with different release years and thus different hardware revisions. MS is also still offering UHD blu-ray support, and has managed to be the first to use a vapor chamber for cooling like the one in my phone.

Your giving the PS4 Pro to much credit. 512mb more ram for devs vs 3gb(X1) is a generational difference amount. X1's GPU can also do more features and the CPU while not new it has new features and has been customized further.

The X1 is the equivalent of replacing everything on your PC except the CPU. The PS4Pro is just a new graphics card.

Wow! 2.5GB more RAM, an overclocked GPU (not newer) and custom CPU improvements! Sounds like a new generation alright lol.

Please stop.

RomeoDog

Banned
Wow! 2.5GB more RAM, an overclocked GPU (not newer) and custom CPU improvements! Sounds like a new generation alright lol.

Please stop.

The GPU is newer. It has HDMI 2.1 features for example. Changing almost everything about a console sounds like a new generation to me TBH.

No, a generational amount of RAM increase would mean 32-64 GB

I'm stretching my words a bit. But its unprecedented that home console refreshes increase the ram.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. It may even be some of the market hype for the 1X but it seems more of a gap than Ps4 to Xbox One.

KillLaCam

Banned
Sony. The pro sucks so far. The One X is impressing me right now. But maybe it's because it seems like it's getting alot of support. Probably because they had time to see what people were annoyed with from the pro, so they made sure they had alot of concrete support before the One X comes out. I'm sure the pro will actually get good support now though

Sony

Nintendo
One (no pun intended) has a 4K Blu Ray player, 1.8TF more, 3GB more usable RAM and supports FreeSync. In what way are they the same...?

scoobs

I'd be more interested to know the background as to how they both suddenly got the idea to come up with a mid-gen refresh.

Lots of reasons. Developers requested more power, PC enthusiast market is rapidly expanding thanks to Twitch & Steam so Sony/MS have to play catch-up, VR requires more power, etc etc

Fredrik

You're joking, right?
Not really. I guess the rumors came later but no smoke without fire, the initial rumors that Nintendos next console would be more powerful than PS4, they probably came from some early prototyping before Nintendo knew what they should do, which via Sony/MS industrial spionage probably triggered the Pro and X plans. It all lines up perfectly. I just find it odd that both MS and Sony decided that this would be the generation where midgen upgrades should happen. Even stranger is that Sony was the first one out, even though they were in the lead, and it happened before the Switch unveil.

RomeoDog

Banned
Not really. I guess the rumors came later but no smoke without fire, the initial rumors that Nintendos next console would be more powerful than PS4, they probably came from some early prototyping before Nintendo knew what they should do, which via Sony/MS industrial spionage probably triggered the Pro and X plans. It all lines up perfectly. I just find it odd that both MS and Sony decided that this would be the generation where midgen upgrades should happen. Even stranger is that Sony was the first one out, even though they were in the lead, and it happened before the Switch unveil.

You should really become a comedian. You're good at telling jokes.

(Nintendo hardware was never rumored to be more Powerful than a PS4)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Here is the timline as I know it

PlayStation 4 Pro

October 22nd, 2015
During an interview with 4Gamer, Masayasu Ito weighs in on the possibility of a future release of a PS4 model with improved performance

http://www.dualshockers.com/sony-ex...e-release-of-a-ps4-with-improved-performance/

March 18th, 2016
During GDC 2016, Patrick Klepick broke the story of a more powerful "PS4.5" due to be released at an unspecified date.

https://www.google.com/amp/kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053/amp

June 10th,2016
During an interview with Financial Times, Andrew House confirms rumors of a more powerful console in development, code named the "PS4 Neo". He also reveals it won't even be talked about at E3 2016, surprising many.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ib...s-ps4-5-confirming-it-wont-be-e3-2016-1564809

September 7th, 2016
During the PlayStation Meeting on a small stage in New York City, Lead System Architect Mark Cerny introduced the PS4 Pro. Priced at $399 and due to release November 10th, 2016, the iterative videogame console is born.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...roducing-ps4-pro-and-the-slimmer-lighter-ps4/

Xbox One X

March 1st 2016
During his Keynote address of the Xbox Spring Showcase, Phil Spencer casually mentioned plans for a more powerful Xbox One as well as system, development and OS unification via Windows 10/UWP/XB1 synergy to be named later

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...-one-hardware-upgrades-phil-spencer-microsoft

June 13th, 2016
At the end of the E3 2016 Microsoft Media briefing, "Project Scorpio", the most powerful console yet devised, is introduced. With Microsoft now also on board, the iterative videogame console model is here to stay

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/06/13/e3-2016-xbox-one-project-scorpio-revealed

June 11th,2017
Although many believe Project Scorpio to be the start of a new generation, it's final name would quickly put that to rest. Behold the iterative videogame console #2, Xbox One X

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/xbox-one-x-e3-2017/amp/

No, a generational amount of RAM increase would mean 32-64 GB

There is no way PS5/Xbox two will have more than 24 total gb of RAM. Most high end gaming PCs have that much (8gb vram + 16gb ram). If (big if) the next set of APUs use HBM it wouldn't be over 16.

64gb of ram in a console would be such a waste. Would rather have a 32 gb ssd.

wapplew

PlayStation 4 Pro

March 18th, 2016
During GDC 2016, Patrick Klepick broke the story of a more powerful "PS4.5" due to be released at an unspecified date.

https://www.google.com/amp/kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053/amp

June 10th,2016
During an interview with Financial Times, Andrew House confirms rumors of a more powerful console in development code named the "PS4 Neo". He also reveals it won't even be talked about at E3 2016, surprising many.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ib...s-ps4-5-confirming-it-wont-be-e3-2016-1564809

September 7th, 2016
During the PlayStation Meeting on a small stage in New York City, Lead System Architect Mark Cerny introduced the PS4 Pro. Priced at $399 and due to release November 10th, 2016 the iterative videogame console is born.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...roducing-ps4-pro-and-the-slimmer-lighter-ps4/

Xbox One X

March 1st 2016
During his Keynote address of the Xbox Spring Showcase, Phil Spencer casually mentioned plans for a more powerful Xbox One as well as system, development and OS unification via Windows 10/UWP/XB1 synergy to be named later

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...-one-hardware-upgrades-phil-spencer-microsoft

June 13th, 2016
At the end of the E3 2016 Microsoft Media briefing, "Project Scorpio", the most powerful console yet devised, is introduced. With Microsoft now also on board, the iterative videogame console model is here to stay

June 11th,2017
Although many believe Project Scorpio to be the start of a new generation, it's final name would quickly put that to rest. Behold the iterative videogame console #2, Xbox One X

You need to update your timeline
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/2...ties-of-an-enhanced-ps4-for-ultra-hd-blu-ray/

PlayStation 4 Pro

October 22nd, 2016
During an interview with 4Gamer, Masayasu Ito weighs in on the possibility of a future release of a PS4 model with improved performance

Dualshockers article ; 4Gamer interview

March 18th, 2016

Added one for you.

Wheatly

PS4 is 50% more powerful than Xbox One ?

Xbox One X looks like a more future proof console than PS4 Pro to me.

Future proof with a Jaguar CPU? hah

Both the Pro and OneX will be obsolete when the next gen comes out in 2-3 years so I don't know how you can think that.

Wheatly

Not even a page in and the Sony defense force comes in.

Xbox One X isn't even out but assumptions.

Here comes the xbox defense force
/s

Its not really an assumption when Phil himself said new IPs are 2-3 years out (likely in line with the nextbox)

theWB27

I'd love to see the day where Nintendo makes anyone react to them because of console power. Pure fanfic to think either of them are worried about Nintendo doing so.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

PlayStation 4 Pro

March 18th, 2016

June 10th,2016
During an interview with Financial Times, Andrew House confirms rumors of a more powerful console in development code named the "PS4 Neo". He also reveals it won't even be talked about at E3 2016, surprising many.

September 7th, 2016
During the PlayStation Meeting on a small stage in New York City, Lead System Architect Mark Cerny introduced the PS4 Pro. Priced at $399 and due to release November 10th, 2016 the iterative videogame console is born.

Xbox One X

March 1st 2016

June 13th, 2016

June 11th,2017

I was talking about this for PS4 from Oct 2015.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1128578

Some sites reported on it, but it didnt get much attention until more rumors came out in 2016.

JusDoIt

Sony tricked Microsoft into getting into a hardware arms race so they'd be too distracted to compete in the software arms race.

wapplew

Sony tricked Microsoft into getting into a hardware arms race so they'd be too distracted to compete in the software arms race.

Or MS tricked Sony into sotfware arms race so they'd be too distracted to compete in service/GaaS arms race.

Sweep14

PlayStation 4 Pro

March 18th, 2016

June 10th,2016

September 7th, 2016

Xbox One X

March 1st 2016

June 13th, 2016

June 11th,2017

Talks about a more powerful PS4 started in October 2015 with an interview of SIE's Japanese CFO/CTO IIRC, can't remember where I red this interview but it exists.

Bioshocker

I don't remember when rumors about PS4 Pro started to flow around the net, but according to Phil Spencer they started working on One X and One S at the same time. These things take years. So One X isn't necessarily a reaction to anything but Microsoft's own vision of upgradable consoles playing the same games and using the same accessories. They obviously wanted to have the most powerful console too, just like in 2001, so if anything the specs on the One X was somewhat a reaction to what the PS4 Pro ended up being.

Fredrik

You should really become a comedian. You're good at telling jokes.

(Nintendo hardware was never rumored to be more Powerful than a PS4)
It totally was, I know I've seen it right here. But industrial spionage from prototyping is probably the trigger rather than the rumor, I think the NX power rumor came around the same time as PS4.5 rumors.

Edit:
"NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]"
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1202176

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom