• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song Kickstarter - Metroid meets Dark Souls - GAFer made - funded!

Jobbs

Banned
That's cool! I know nothing about the Steam API/SDK (I have used Haxe and NME before though), did you have to jump through any hoops to integrate it to Stencyl/Haxe? Does Stencyl require some sort of bindings/wrapper to expose the API methods to your code and if so, are they provided or did you have to create them yourself? Just curious.

I don't have any actual steam integration in the game itself yet as far as achievements or that kind of thing, but I have steam keys and people can use them to get and update and run the game as with any steam game.

Hey Jobbs how do you like The Forest? We have similar libraries.

I haven't played it much yet, but it has really impressive animation and modeling for an indie game!

Fireblend

Banned
I don't have any actual steam integration in the game itself yet as far as achievements or that kind of thing, but I have steam keys and people can use them to get and update and run the game as with any steam game.

Oh, I see. I guess you just have to sign your executable and upload it somewhere much like publishing a mobile app then. Cool. Have you looked into Stencyl's integration with the API for achievements and stuff like that yet?

Jobbs

Banned
Oh, I see. I guess you just have to sign your executable and upload it somewhere much like publishing a mobile app then. Cool. Have you looked into Stencyl's integration with the API for achievements and stuff like that yet?

you download a steam SDK and it has scripts you configure -- there's a steam CMD program that is a version of steam that looks like a command prompt -- and you use that to execute the script and upload the game build. you also have an app dashboard you use to configure other settings along with that.

it was a bit confusing at first but they provide tutorials and -- as far as getting it working -- it's not all that hard. other stuff like integration with achievements and stuff, as you say, is a bit more involved and I just haven't put any effort into it. that stuff requires the game be approved for release and I'm just not at that stage yet.

Jobbs

Banned
edit: I'm just going to simplify this. since the game got its start on neogaf, if you're a neogaf member and are interested in the game and want to get a steam key to test out the coming beta build -- PM me so I can keep a head count. it'll be ready probably late next week or early the week after.

thanks!

Jobbs

Banned
barring disaster, the beta will begin being given out to users this monday the 10th. additionally, some individuals may be invited before that to help test or whatever.

Fireblend

Banned
Awesome! Just yesterday I checked this thread for news hoping my subscriptions filter had screwed up and hadn't notified me of some new post >_> seems it was a premonition!

Meesh

barring disaster, the beta will begin being given out to users this monday the 10th. additionally, some individuals may be invited before that to help test or whatever.
I'd really like to give this a try if you need testers or whatever.😃

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

AM EXCITED.

Jobbs

Banned

I plan to ask testers/backers to sign up for stencyl forums (and subsequently be added to the ghost song private forum) and post any feedback/bugs/suggestions there. The reason we'll be discussing it there is because it's quite possible we may have bugs or problems that relate to the technology rather than to anything I did (in fact, probable) and I'd like to have the stencyl staff closer by.

desu

I plan to ask testers/backers to sign up for stencyl forums (and subsequently be added to the ghost song private forum) and post any feedback/bugs/suggestions there. The reason we'll be discussing it there is because it's quite possible we may have bugs or problems that relate to the technology rather than to anything I did (in fact, probable) and I'd like to have the stencyl staff closer by.

Awesome, already wanted to ask you if there was a NDA and how we could report bugs etc. But I see you got that handled.

Jobbs

Banned
Awesome, already wanted to ask you if there was a NDA and how we could report bugs etc. But I see you got that handled.

honestly, there's no NDA. once the beta is officially out, I don't mind if people show/tell. I don't see any upside to asking people to keep it secret.

Jobbs

Banned

I think we might actually just use the steam built in forums. this seems more convenient, and I want people to post feedback, so the fewer barriers the better.

edit: god damn it. double reply. sorry, didn't mean to be rude, guys.

Fireblend

Banned
I don't see how a double post could ever be interpreted as being rude :p

Anyway, I hope the beta talk will attract new players, maybe even more calls for it to be ported to consoles. Will you be sending beta keys to anyone for the express purpose of publicity (media outlets, LPers, etc), or will this version be purely for debugging/feedback purposes?

Jobbs

Banned
I don't see how a double post could ever be interpreted as being rude :p

Anyway, I hope the beta talk will attract new players, maybe even more calls for it to be ported to consoles. Will you be sending beta keys to anyone for the express purpose of publicity (media outlets, LPers, etc), or will this version be purely for debugging/feedback purposes?

people to receive beta keys will consist of:

- beta backers who are entitled to it from their tier
- any neogaf full members who are interested in the game and wish to be included (neogaf played a huge role in this game existing and being funded, so it's natural)
- people I know personally
- fellow game devs from tigsource/other who would prove constructive and useful
- any press who is interested

I have nothing to hide, there will be no request of the recipients other than that they don't attempt to copy/distribute the game -- which is a no brainer.

Just wanted to say great job on all the hard work you are doing.

This game will be amazing

thank you, I sure hope so!

Fireblend

Banned
Just caught the newest update. It sounds like it'll be a big demo! Story-wise, have things been removed from the demo, or did you just choose a part of the game that isn't too story-heavy? Does it correspond to the beginning of the game? Can't wait :D

Jobbs

Banned
Just caught the newest update. It sounds like it'll be a big demo! Story-wise, have things been removed from the demo, or did you just choose a part of the game that isn't too story-heavy? Does it correspond to the beginning of the game? Can't wait :D

There'll be an introductory portion of the game that establishes the context a bit more -- that won't be included in the beta. While you're always meant to start the game feeling a bit aimless/clueless, you'll feel even more aimless and clueless in the beta because of this.

As far as "big" I guess it depends on how you define it, I want to be careful not to overhype things. I suppose it's bigger than your average game demo is.

I'm up to shenanigans when I design the game world, and one of my core philosophies is to make things worth finding that aren't obvious or only hinted at by subtle clues-- so this aspect of my design philosophy is very present in the beta build.

There's also a bit of dialogue that will be different in the final game when it comes to a certain NPC.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been down on the progress of this game but thankfully, it's almost here. I've been jonesing to play Super Metroid again. This game could satisfy that.

Jobbs

Banned
thanks! (I think?)

one other thing -- just to mention it again, if you're a follower of this game and a neogaffer, please PM me with "beta" in the subject and I'll get you a key next week, regardless if you backed or not. There's a few reasons for this, not the least of which is I owe the community a lot in terms of getting the game going, and so I want to include the community as much as I can in its development.

people to receive beta keys will consist of:

- beta backers who are entitled to it from their tier
- any neogaf full members who are interested in the game and wish to be included (neogaf played a huge role in this game existing and being funded, so it's natural)
- people I know personally
- fellow game devs from tigsource/other who would prove constructive and useful
- any press who is interested

I have nothing to hide, there will be no request of the recipients other than that they don't attempt to copy/distribute the game -- which is a no brainer.

thank you, I sure hope so!

I was a backer first
but not beta tier :(
and then a Neogaf member. I'm torn between my desire for a beta key and my desire to avoid as many spoilers as possible.
The key desire will win every single time. :D

Your work is an inspiration, keep it up!

Jobbs

Banned
I was a backer first
but not beta tier :(
and then a Neogaf member. I'm torn between my desire for a beta key and my desire to avoid as many spoilers as possible.
The key desire will win every single time. :D

Your work is an inspiration, keep it up!

thank you. :) PM me with beta in the subject --re story spoilers, they are minimal in this build.

Fireblend

Banned
Anyone planning to create a beta discussion thread over at the gaming board? I figure we can get some more attention and backers for the project that way (would they still be called backers at this point? :p).

Jobbs

Banned
Anyone planning to create a beta discussion thread over at the gaming board? I figure we can get some more attention and backers for the project that way (would they still be called backers at this point? :p).

This would be cool-- FYI I've made no coordination or plans with anyone on this matter.

desu

If nobody would mind I would put together a small OT for the beta (I actually got it almost complete already).

Jobbs

Banned
one thing to keep in mind, after the beta goes live next week, I can't guarantee my "keys for all neogaffers" policy. If it just so happens that tons of people suddenly want keys, while that's a nice problem to have, I don't know for sure that I'd be able to give them to everyone. I could see this as a thing that could potentially get out of hand.

..Or maybe no one will really give a shit -- I guess we'll see.

lando-vader-boba_crop.jpg

Meesh

one thing to keep in mind, after the beta goes live next week, I can't guarantee my "keys for all neogaffers" policy. If it just so happens that tons of people suddenly want keys, while that's a nice problem to have, I don't know for sure that I'd be able to give them to everyone. I could see this as a thing that could potentially get out of hand.

..Or maybe no one will really give a shit -- I guess we'll see.

lando-vader-boba_crop.jpg
Totally understand, totally, fully understand your position. Of course...

...you uh...

...might not be my uh...

...favourite indie dev/gaffer after this...

But hey, I completely get where your coming from and empathize.

😃/playful sarcasm.

Jobbs

Banned
if you PM me before monday you'll definitely get a key. I'm just saying if there's a magical torrent of interest once this gets into the general neogaf bloodstream, which is unlikely but possible, I just don't think I can maintain that policy.

so the new policy is -- PM me before monday and i'll get you a key. PM me after a monday and I'll *probably* get you a key.

So, Jobbs. What's the current status of this game? Will it ever see the light of day? The beta was released three years ago. I'm still hyped and you're doing a beast of a job, but is there any kind of release schedule? 2018?

Jobbs

Banned
So, Jobbs. What's the current status of this game? Will it ever see the light of day? The beta was released three years ago. I'm still hyped and you're doing a beast of a job, but is there any kind of release schedule? 2018?

This is still my full time job. Working on a game alone is just very slow going, especially when you're like me and truly did get in a bit over your head in the first place. There's going to be a hell of a postmortem one day. The number of mistakes, shakeups, and even a couple of restarts is pretty staggering. Hollow Knight being as good and as successful as it has been definitely made me re-examine things a bit to make sure the game is what it needs to be.

In the short term, I'm going to update the beta client on Steam to a newer version that has more recent features and we'll also note differences in content as well. The reason I'm doing this isn't just to signal to people that I'm still alive, but to get vital data and feedback about the state of the game. The project has been built around a small, lesser known engine that was never designed for anything of this scope, and there are still some concerns around technical performance that I need more information on.

As for when I'm updating the demo -- It's been ready content-wise. I'm just waiting for a few fixes to the engine itself... To get some things working I had to update to a new beta version of the engine (some weeks ago) which in turn broke some core features and I'm still waiting on a solution from the proprietors before I can expose it to the public (specifically, there are serious bugs with gamepads and a few other things that would make it not fun to play).

I'm happy to answer any more questions anyone has -- or just listen to your complaints, which, if you backed, are valid complaints. I'm willing to admit my personal failures but I can say with 100% certainty that I'm never stopping until we have a good final product.

In the mean time, I update my twitter as regularly as I can. I try to keep extraneous tweets to a minimum and the majority of my tweets are gifs or images related to the game.

kJeXlHV.gif

jett

D-Member
Wow it's been four years already. Time flies.

The game looks super great Jobbs. Hopefully the engine kinks you mentioned will be resolved.

This is still my full time job. Working on a game alone is just very slow going, especially when you're like me and truly did get in a bit over your head in the first place. There's going to be a hell of a postmortem one day. The number of mistakes, shakeups, and even a couple of restarts is pretty staggering. Hollow Knight being as good and as successful as it has been definitely made me re-examine things a bit to make sure the game is what it needs to be.

In the short term, I'm going to update the beta client on Steam to a newer version that has more recent features and we'll also note differences in content as well. The reason I'm doing this isn't just to signal to people that I'm still alive, but to get vital data and feedback about the state of the game. The project has been built around a small, lesser known engine that was never designed for anything of this scope, and there are still some concerns around technical performance that I need more information on.

As for when I'm updating the demo -- It's been ready content-wise. I'm just waiting for a few fixes to the engine itself... To get some things working I had to update to a new beta version of the engine (some weeks ago) which in turn broke some core features and I'm still waiting on a solution from the proprietors before I can expose it to the public (specifically, there are serious bugs with gamepads and a few other things that would make it not fun to play).

I'm happy to answer any more questions anyone has -- or just listen to your complaints, which, if you backed, are valid complaints. I'm willing to admit my personal failures but I can say with 100% certainty that I'm never stopping until we have a good final product.

In the mean time, I update my twitter as regularly as I can. I try to keep extraneous tweets to a minimum and the majority of my tweets are gifs or images related to the game.

kJeXlHV.gif

Thanks for the update, Jobbs. Glad to hear that you're not taking any shortcuts. Better to make sure the final product is what it should be. The atmosphere in this game is something else. Still glad i backed it. Keep up the good work.

thumb

Banned

kJeXlHV.gif

Keep at it man. While I can only speak for myself as a backer, I'm fine with you taking the time you need to do things right. And the reality is, when you're a one-person team, making a non-trivial game is a huge undertaking. Stay healthy and keep your head up.

You really need to work on your communication skills, as has been noted so many times. Why isn't your super explanatory post a kickstarter news item? Why is the only way to find it a comment on the kickstarter page or if we still followed this thread?

Jobbs

Banned
You really need to work on your communication skills, as has been noted so many times. Why isn't your super explanatory post a kickstarter news item? Why is the only way to find it a comment on the kickstarter page or if we still followed this thread?

Very fair point.

Very fair point.

I think I'm very wary of sending people update notifications until I have something big to announce, and the huge thing that always feels like it's just around the corner keeps not happening (yet).

I'll try to improve. I do have a couple of things to announce in the near future that just aren't ready to show yet (which, again, yeah -- it always tends to feel like that, and that's the problem).

We're also at a point now where, speaking generally, it's so delayed the further delays become increasingly justified in my mind because I'll walk out of this squeaky clean if the game is great. But it has to be great. So the timeline, as frustrating as it is, becomes less important than other aspects of the process to me.

Ridley327

Since he's banned and not in any position to say anything about himself as of right now, Jobbs just dropped a big email to backers about the game needing to be reworked for Unity as the engine he's been working with has been breaking far too much. He's still hard at work on it, but it does look like it's going to be a while yet before it releases. He did offer up some small consolation at the end about teasing console ports due to the engine switch, so there's that.

Vinnk

Since he's banned and not in any position to say anything about himself as of right now, Jobbs just dropped a big email to backers about the game needing to be reworked for Unity as the engine he's been working with has been breaking far too much. He's still hard at work on it, but it does look like it's going to be a while yet before it releases. He did offer up some small consolation at the end about teasing console ports due to the engine switch, so there's that.

Totally forgot about this project. Backed this 4 years ago... wow. Good to see it's still being worked on and if it's on Unity now I'd play it if it comes to Switch (if Switch is still a viable platform by the time it's done).

But I have to say it is projects like this that really burned me out on Kickstarter.

Jobbs just dropped a big email to backers about the game needing to be reworked for Unity as the engine he's been working with has been breaking far too much. He's still hard at work on it, but it does look like it's going to be a while yet before it releases.
I'm a backer and I got that email, which is why I looked this thread up. I know how hard it can be as the single developer on a substantial project, but I do have to worry for this game never being released.

I don't know anything about the game engines involved but that kind of re-targeting could introduce an incredible amount of work just to get back to normal. I'm a developer at a tiny company myself, and having lived through Apple changeovers like Carbon to Cocoa, PPC to Intel, Objective-C to Swift — not to mention normal SDK churn — I know firsthand how long you can spend on these kinds of tool changes. It can for sure sink a big project with just one dev and no incoming funds. I hope he's been frugal with his original funding.

Anyways, I'm still really excited for Ghost Song. I think the animations and atmosphere look excellent and totally on point, but I worry I'll never get to experience the game. I don't mind if it comes out super delayed, but I sure do hope it comes out! Godspeed to Jobbs...

jett

D-Member

Well shit.

Hopefully it will come out one day. It looks really nice. Maybe he's been hit by feature creep on some level.

Well shit.

Hopefully it will come out one day. It looks really nice. Maybe he's been hit by feature creep on some level.
The way he said it, Stencyl is basically an engine designed for smaller games, and with each new version that came out, old features got broken so he had to go back and fix a bunch of things every now and then.

He probably already has everything such as designs, animations, levels, enemies and overall logic of the game, so moving to Unity shouldn't be as painful as it might seem. But still, it's probably not coming out this year. He actually didn't give any estimated date this time around.

Thanks for posting this update, I missed the email.

Top Bottom