• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

Tekniqs

Favourite 1 liners, name flips, schemes, slogans, references to other battlers/battles, crowd reactions, other shit

^ reminder to myself to come up with some lists when I got free time at work this week

Y'all get in on it too

my favorite 1 liner and name flip comes from the thesaurus/justice battle.

'this is america bitch, and here Justice is served'
'Australian? a less distinguished version of an English person'

You know what Yung Ill told me? Nothing, but look at you

Died at that line. Great battle.

And I agree with your point about the fractioned leagues and the competitiveness of battle rap. Also makes spectating harder to follow, especially for people wanting to just now jump in. Would be better for prospective viewers (everyone, really) if everything was collected under URL/KOTD.

Hitman vs Charlie is a great battle

Favourite parts

Hitman- I'm a boss, I'll have a fan clap you. DNA and clips both felt that one

Rebuttals were good, especially the last one

Rondo line was crazy

Charlie clips

Cliff Paul line was hilarious

"Fuck, I gotta remix the subtitle?" I died at this. The remix itself and the setup were ehhh, but the way he said the above one liner was wicked

2-1 either way

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TrapHouseNY: Brooklyn Carter vs. Xcel. Don't know if its just his hypemen, but Brooklyn Carter sort of outshined him; Xcel is improving his performance though. That triple XXX line, lawd.

I didn't read all 9 pages so I don't know if he's mentioned but Mistah FAB is a beast... Peep this freestyle. He also makes references about Arsenal too http://youtu.be/mtdOGkIfr3o
Fuck this dude went in. Mistah Fab & Arsonal have been in talks to battle forever. Don't know why it hasn't happened yet.

Died at that line. Great battle.

And I agree with your point about the fractioned leagues and the competitiveness of battle rap. Also makes spectating harder to follow, especially for people wanting to just now jump in. Would be better for prospective viewers (everyone, really) if everything was collected under URL/KOTD.
Yeah I think its really hard to have a casual interest in battle rap because there are so many different newcomers springing up every week and established names are inconsistent. Its pretty hard to figure out who you like and who you don't like when not only do you have to watch a ton of 20+ min videos, but across a ton of different media channels of different quality.

"Fuck, I gotta remix the subtitle?" I died at this. The remix itself and the setup were ehhh, but the way he said the above one liner was wicked
Side note, I finally watched the Uno Lavoz/Bonnie Godiva battle.

I SAID BREATH IN ASS, THATS NASH

dead dead dead dead dead

Side note, I finally watched the Uno Lavoz/Bonnie Godiva battle.

I SAID BREATH IN ASS, THATS NASH

dead dead dead dead dead

One of the funniest battles I've seen. That Jaws setup and punchline. El oh el. Uno always makes me laugh, in spite of his lyrical shortcomings.

One of the funniest battles I've seen. That Jaws setup and punchline. El oh el. Uno always makes me laugh, in spite of his lyrical shortcomings.

The shit he says after had me on the floor too

"You from New York? How ironic, I got a scheme about dolphins"

Poison pen and suave are literally dying during that 3 minute long period

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
KOTD: Arcane vs. DNA.

Some of my favourite funny battle rap lines/moments:

People are always making fun of X-Factor's nose (and hairline), so when he said this, I was on the floor rolling.

I posted it on the last page, but Yung Ill making fun of Rick Dolarz' fitted is just incredible because of how he delivers the punchline. This is probably the funniest moment I can think of. The bit immediately afterwards about him buying boxers too oh god :dead:

The very start of Tech 9's first round against Midwest Miles.
IS. THIS. MOTHERFUCKER. DEAF.

YOU A RAY J FAN AND AN AYE VERB LOVER
TOUGHEST N***A IN THE MIDWEST IS AYE VERB MOTHER

He looked so calm before he said this, and it was so random, oh god haha It gets flipped in a lot of battles too.

All of Math's rounds in the Dose rematch.

Look.. he mad right now. Pretty much every round of this battle is funny, especially Ice's 3rd and Stay's 2nd. I'd also end up listing every Pat Stay battle here too.
I put the head of my dick inside your Kool-Aid

HOW DO YOU BUST GUNS AND LIVE THAT LIFE WHEN YOU GOT SOMETHING IN YOUR MOUTH THAT ENHANCES YOUR MANS DICK PLEASURE?

You're first album.. weedplate. I don't know why this is funny, but the delivery of it all in the context of the verse was hilarious. Everything in this verse is so dumb it shouldn't be funny but it is.
You're baby mother got a meeeeaaan back
When I fuck her, she screeeaaams back

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That DNA vs. Arcane battle...
iPHTiQzlEiK5R.png

So cringeworthy. Arcane's delivery is so bad, he was begging for the crowd to cheer for him, all of his material for DNA was either hypocritical or never addressed/rebutted what DNA said properly, he's still denying writing the bars, and he thinks he deserves Arsonal or Clips next?

Queenzflip won the first and DNA won the last two rounds.

math's multiple choice flip to john john cracks me up

there's 2 things about you that make you the worst kind of lame
So I'll combine the two and make a multiple choice on why you stole Hollow's name
Is it A) You was sucking dick and tryna get a buzz?
B) You was sucking dick and tryna get a buzz?
C) You was sucking dick and tryna get a buzz?
But we know the answer is D) All of the above

www.youtube.com/watch?v=er-OEsQloiY‎

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
URL: LottaZay vs. NuBorn. I give Lottazay the 3rd clearly. I feel like he edged the first too though. I don't know if I don't get Born's wordplay or it really is that much filler. I feel every battle he says the same shit a different way. Gonna have to watch it again, the audio isn't the greatest either. Lol @ the chant at the end.

No UFF this week, but next week is Sno vs. Danny Myers. Cannot wait.

math's multiple choice flip to john john cracks me up

there's 2 things about you that make you the worst kind of lame
So I'll combine the two and make a multiple choice on why you stole Hollow's name
Is it A) You was sucking dick and tryna get a buzz?
B) You was sucking dick and tryna get a buzz?
C) You was sucking dick and tryna get a buzz?
But we know the answer is D) All of the above

www.youtube.com/watch?v=er-OEsQloiY‎
Math just exudes charisma.

Vs Iron Solomon.
Something to pop when he's mad, something to pop when he's sad.
Hope you got something to pop when Math's chewing your ass.
He's gonna run on top of the roof, crying out for sympathy,
I NEVER LOSE! I NEVER EVEN LOST MY VIRGINITY!

Vs T-Rex
You remind me of my shit Rex, 'cause every time I take one
I look down and think.. where I know that face from?

This guys a thief, he terrorizes the west side for weeks
Victims gave the same description: Eyes and teeth!

Rex, why ya whinin' for?
Ya name yaself a dinosaur?
All of dem did that a long time before!

That DNA vs. Arcane battle...
iPHTiQzlEiK5R.png

So cringeworthy. Arcane's delivery is so bad, he was begging for the crowd to cheer for him, all of his material for DNA was either hypocritical or never addressed/rebutted what DNA said properly, he's still denying writing the bars, and he thinks he deserves Arsonal or Clips next?

Queenzflip won the first and DNA won the last two rounds.

Or having someone write them for him...

Lotta got the first and third

That line about dunking through the halo.....wheeewww

Seriously , daylyt is a genius. I watching his bar breakdown vs b magic. Goddamn, it's crazy

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Or having someone write them for him...
My bad, that's what I meant to say lol

JC vs. Charlie Clips is an underrated battle from last year. Both of them brought it, perhaps each of their best performances last year. Not often I enjoy one rounders. The entire Hitman/Conceited/Qleen scheme is amazing.

Nestle crunch bars is something you had your meal with
No matter how many of those fabricated lines you.. give DNA, you still got to chaperone those field trips

So tell Ill Will, he better have an ill will, before I send him to God's hands
Because Ill Will will really get to speak to Ill Will, when I send him up to Nas' man

god fucking damn

My top 5

Undisputed top 3

B magic
Daylyt
Hollow

Next two is whoever I'm feeling that day

Could be hitman if I'm watching him vs arsonal, o red, john john, his 1st vs conceited

Tsu surf if I'm watching him vs conceited, big t, brixx belvy, yung ill

Yung Ill vs dna, tsu surf, T. rex

Sorry to Danny Myers, you need more big name battles/classics/bigger audience battles

Top 5 I'm looking forward to see more of this year

Sno
Prez mafia
Cortez (only seen him vs john john and Johnny storm but he was fire)
Ill will ( Charlie clips better be writing his ass off for DNA or dude about to get bogies bad)
Mr mills

Also, can't wait to see Tay roc go super Saiyan 9000 vs clips

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can see an argument for Hitman. Dude, outside of the Conceited battle (where he still one of the greatest first rounds ever) has a memorable performance every time.

My Top 5 changes so often, because you can't really make an "of all time" list, way too many different eras and levels of consistency. People I would have considered top of the game in the GT era are bums today.

ATM:
Hollow Da Don - Most well rounded of any battle rapper, just put a beating on Lux, his worst performance vs. Verb is still flames and has some of the most memorable rebuttals ever
Charlie Clips - Also very well rounded, consistent murdering spree, only real flaw is laziness
B Magic - More consistent than any other battle rapper
Danny Myers - Very consistent, has been on a murdering spree, even the vets acknowledge him as a threat and are willing to battle him
Pat Stay - Also very well-rounded, just needs to be challenged a bit more

I'm looking forward to seeing more Ty Law, Mr. Mill$, Sno, Charron, Real Deal and LottaZay. The first 3 because they're also some of the best out of the new PG classes, Real Deal because it seems like he's finally getting better and more matches now that he's a part of Dot Mobb, and LottaZay because he's been in the game way too long and is way too talented to be getting all of these shitty match ups.

Pearlito's Way

Neo Member
I can see an argument for Hitman. Dude, outside of the Conceited battle (where he still one of the greatest first rounds ever) has a memorable performance every time.

My Top 5 changes so often, because you can't really make an "of all time" list, way too many different eras and levels of consistency. People I would have considered top of the game in the GT era are bums today.

ATM:
Hollow Da Don - Most well rounded of any battle rapper, just put a beating on Lux, his worst performance vs. Verb is still flames and has some of the most memorable rebuttals ever
Charlie Clips - Also very well rounded, consistent murdering spree, only real flaw is laziness
B Magic - More consistent than any other battle rapper
Danny Myers - Very consistent, has been on a murdering spree, even the vets acknowledge him as a threat and are willing to battle him
Pat Stay - Also very well-rounded, just needs to be challenged a bit more

I'm looking forward to seeing more Ty Law, Mr. Mill$, Sno, Charron, Real Deal and LottaZay. The first 3 because they're also some of the best out of the new PG classes, Real Deal because it seems like he's finally getting better and more matches now that he's a part of Dot Mobb, and LottaZay because he's been in the game way too long and is way too talented to be getting all of these shitty match ups.

LOL!! Just put a beating on Lux, that's funny!!

Esch

Banned
Being recognized as a threat=/= being the 3rd best in the game though. He has to actually get the W's before he gets the praise.

1. Hollow
2. Lux
3. B-Magic
4. Chilla
5. Pat Stay

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LOL!! Just put a beating on Lux, that's funny!!
I just put that there to get you posting again :p

Being recognized as a threat=/= being the 3rd best in the game though. He has to actually get the W's before he gets the praise.

1. Hollow
2. Lux
3. B-Magic
4. Chilla
5. Pat Stay
Mine was in no particular order, but recently I can say Danny has been performing very well, and the battle that got him his name was killing a big name too (John John). I can't think of a battle he lost. Maybe Ill Will in his spot.

I wouldn't put Chilla up there if you're talking about needing Ws. The only big opponents he's faced are JC (debatable), DNA (arguable loss), Young Kannon (debatable; looks like he choked at the end), B Magic (debatable; choked at the end) and Clips (Clips lost his voice so it never came out).

mileS

I still can't see Joe Budden doing a battle. He's going to back out. That or they made Hollow sign a novels worth of shit hes not allowed to address when he battles him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is there a recent battle that is on the level of the 'gon watch this work' battle?
Depends, what did you gravitate to in that battle? How technical the raps were? The message?

There's a good amount of super lyrical battles I think you'll enjoy (i.e. JC vs. Chilla Jones), but in terms of content I think the closest you'll get is Loaded Lux vs. Hollow Da Don. It's a good follow up to the Calicoe battle (the "you gon get this work" battle) in more ways than one, and overall a very good debatable battle. It's older, but if you liked what Lux did to Calicoe, you'll probably like Aye Verb vs. Hitman Holla.

I still can't see Joe Budden doing a battle. He's going to back out. That or they made Hollow sign a novels worth of shit hes not allowed to address when he battles him.
This would be so corny. Budden has already taken so many hits from people in battles. Conceited went in in the Surf battle.

Pearlito's Way

Neo Member
Depends, what did you gravitate to in that battle? How technical the raps were? The message?

There's a good amount of super lyrical battles I think you'll enjoy (i.e. JC vs. Chilla Jones), but in terms of content I think the closest you'll get is Loaded Lux vs. Hollow Da Don. It's a good follow up to the Calicoe battle (the "you gon get this work" battle) in more ways than one, and overall a very good debatable battle. It's older, but if you liked what Lux did to Calicoe, you'll probably like Aye Verb vs. Hitman Holla.

This would be so corny. Budden has already taken so many hits from people in battles. Conceited went in in the Surf battle.

For a mainstream rapper to spar in this sport is huge. If he actually pulls it off, it might entice others to follow. But if it goes all wrong, other mainstream artist will never consider stepping in the ring. We'll shall see..

Nibel

Well, I liked how skillful and well-crafted the lyrics were and the whole delivery was very entertaining; will check those videos, thanks enzo!

First time watching battle rap, saw the T-Rex vs Yung ill video.

Fuck.

Was surprised how good humoured they are after the battle, all hugs and smiles. Was pretty cool to see. The thing is that the preconception really is that these people are violent or rather just thuggish in nature purely because they're rapping about the normal tropes of guns, murders and the like but when one actually thinks about it, boxing is literally people beating the shit out of each other, as is MMA and most contact sports. Words cut so much deeper though and the aggression in their words is so visceral and packs such a punch.

Incredibly impressed and I'm flicking through youtube as I edit this, may have found a new interest.

Nibel

Watched the Loaded Lux VS Hollow Da Don battle

Not sure what to think; Hollow was kind of entertaining in a dumb way, but Lux had some amazing stuff in his parts - what's the consensus?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For a mainstream rapper to spar in this sport is huge. If he actually pulls it off, it might entice others to follow. But if it goes all wrong, other mainstream artist will never consider stepping in the ring. We'll shall see..
I'm surprised even Joe Budden jumped in the ring. I just don't think the compensation will ever be high enough (well, at least right now) to attract other people like Meek to jump in the Ring.

First time watching battle rap, saw the T-Rex vs Yung ill video.

Fuck.

Was surprised how good humoured they are after the battle, all hugs and smiles. Was pretty cool to see. The thing is that the preconception really is that these people are violent or rather just thuggish in nature purely because they're rapping about the normal tropes of guns, murders and the like but when one actually thinks about it, boxing is literally people beating the shit out of each other, as is MMA and most contact sports. Words cut so much deeper though and the aggression in their words is so visceral and packs such a punch.

Incredibly impressed and I'm flicking through youtube as I edit this, may have found a new interest.
Yeah, I think in recent years we've seen a switch where people realize how much money there is to be made now. Rivalries are few, and everyone is friends with everyone behind the scenes, and its all respect. I can only think of a few battles where people didn't dap each other up at the end. OP is a great place to start if you just want to watch some great battles, might help you figure out some MCs you like and others you don't, but OP is still a bit biased towards street MCs. Not every battle rapper talks about guns/killing necessarily either.

Side note, but thats also why I'm so excited for T-Rex vs. Cortez on NOME 4.
During the Math vs. Rex rematch:
Hey Cortez, I hate you, n***a
I'll battle Math 3 more times before I take you, n***a

Watched the Loaded Lux VS Hollow Da Don battle

Not sure what to think; Hollow was kind of entertaining in a dumb way, but Lux had some amazing stuff in his parts - what's the consensus?
It's pretty split, but people seem to be edging it to Hollow because of his better/more relevant angles.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

mileS

It's really hard for a battle to keep my attention lately. Maybe I'm getting a bit burnt out? Been following for about 5-6 years now. Watching pretty much everything. A lot of battles lately I end up turning off after the first round. Like Big Kannon vs Big T, alright battle but the audio is shit. In the past I would have put up with it but now I can't be bothered.

I started off really liking Danny Myers but he's quickly becoming a bit stale. Might have something to do with his delivery? I don't know anymore.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's really hard for a battle to keep my attention lately. Maybe I'm getting a bit burnt out? Been following for about 5-6 years now. Watching pretty much everything. A lot of battles lately I end up turning off after the first round. Like Big Kannon vs Big T, alright battle but the audio is shit. In the past I would have put up with it but now I can't be bothered.

I started off really liking Danny Myers but he's quickly becoming a bit stale. Might have something to do with his delivery? I don't know anymore.
What was the last battle you really enjoyed? Can you go back and rewatch battles and enjoy them that way?

I don't blame you at all. Pretty much after SM2/JCxChilla I think there has been a general decline in battle quality. Top talent have been getting complacent, and all the new guys seem to think the only way they'll get on is through incorporating slow it downs into their style etc. etc. etc. I still watch literally everything that comes out, but if your first impression sucks, I don't really care for you afterwards. I spend quite a bit of time rewatching old battles I liked or sort of liked (to get a better understanding). This past week I've probably watched Yung Ill vs. Rich Dolarz like 5 times.. I don't think that's normal though.. and my burnout is probably coming too.

Brooklyn carter kinda went off in that battle against xcel. His second was crazy. Dumb and dumber line and Kazaam had me doing the jaz face

Sno is retarded. I don't know what he's saying half the time. Rewatch the battle and look at Saigons face in the back during snos rambling. It's worth it

Enzo, check out this dude trez vs hitz. Trez was ridiculous

mileS

Yea maybe It's just the new battles now that you mention it. I can still go back to plenty of old ones without being turned off or bored quickly.

Bigg k vs thesaurus was very entertaining

Bigg k is a problem

Just had the most ridiculous half-dream/half-awake scenario play out in my head revolving me being on the main stage for NOME battling loaded lux

I'll type it out later, if i can remember all the details

mileS

I never really liked Bigg K until his illmac battle, even then he was pretty average. That battle with The Saurus tho? that shit was mean. I can see him continuing to get big names now. Great battle.

Bigg K vs The Saurus

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That Bigg K vs. Thesaurus jawnt, whew, Bigg K went the fuck off

Agree with mileS, I didn't care about him until the Illmac battle. There are rounds here and there I liked from him though, like him in the Rosenberg Raw battle (who I think he's just a much better version of).

Dat ghost line in the Trez and Hitz battle though, gawdamn

A very sincere "Fuck You" to Enzo, Esch and others in this thread for putting me onto this shit. Got me wasting time watching shitty battles like K Holla vs Vicci when I should be working, although that Big Pun line was mean.

Danny Meyers vs B-Magic needs to happen ASAP. They are to the two best name flippers.

I mean,

Meyers said vs Brixx

"They want punchlines from us, wellll, they'll get the dopest from me. Cuz Ima keep punching Brixx like I can't focus my chi"

and vs Mark Miner

"They'll be looking for Miner like an amber alert"

Magic said vs Ill Will (Seriously, Magic's 1st and 2nd were beyond stupid)

"Boot Will like theres unpaid tickets on the whip"

vs DNA

"Let a tip swap his mouth if DNA test me"

vs Daylyt (some of the shit Magic said, like Arsonal kept saing in the background if you listen carefully..."GAWDDDAMMNNN"

"Let what's in the time/tom fly to make Day pass quicker"

Lot of other shit I wanna talk about, hopefully get to it this week

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Myers other two Brixx flips are some of the best I've ever heard.

My n***as shooting Brixx like they don't care if they make the team!

I got n***as that are trained to handle Brixx like Stone Masons

The amber alert one too, fuuuuuuuuuuck

NAIL U J also is up there.

EDIT: Great interview with Organik.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
UFF: KG The Poet vs. Prez Mafia. For some reason it's on the BET channel but not up on URL's yet. Judges: Sha Money XL, Grafh and Jahlil Beats.

Man, they gotta give these guys more time for their second battles and the final to retain quality. Also WTF @ them not recording what Grafh said. SMH.

Quote of the week:
I'M HEARTLESS, NO SORROW IN 'EM
YOUSE A BUM, YOU AND VERB BORROW DENIM

Mickey's reaction to that line is the exact same as mine.

I swear on T. Rex's unidentified age,

My goal for the next 20 months is hear with my own two ears live the following words

"I said it once, these mothafuckas scared"

And then Ima go buck wild and finish that shit

Top Bottom