• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Training Camp/Preseason |OT| - If you don't like it, you should have made it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Glennon feels 'deja vu' with Mitch Trubisky's rise

On a day that saw Mitchell Trubisky take first-team reps with the Bears offense, Mike Glennon finds himself saddled with a familiar sensation.

"Déjà vu," said the veteran quarterback, who previously lost his starting job in Tampa when the Bucs made Jameis Winston the first-overall pick in the draft back in 2015.

It's a fair response from Glennon, who signed a three-year, $45 million contract with $18.5 million guaranteed in March, only to watch the Bears turn around and trade up for Trubisky in the draft.

Bears brass harped all offseason about Trubisky being tucked away during a red-shirt year -- and then the games began, blowing up those safe springtime dreams.

While Glennon has struggled mightily, Trubisky has operated as one of the league's surprise stories, completing 18 of 25 passes for 166 yards and a touchdown in Chicago's preseason opener against the Broncos. He returned to earth against Arizona on Saturday, but still showed good vision and movement for a first-year signal-caller.

Come Sunday's regular-season dress rehearsal against the Titans, Trubisky will enter the game in the third quarter against what coaches hope will be Tennessee's starters, according to Bears coach John Fox.

"Right now, Mike Glennon is the starter," Fox insisted, per the Chicago Tribune. "He's going to start preseason [Game] 3, which is a pretty good indicator where you start the [regular] season. I'll leave it at that."

Asked whether there was a quarterback battle underway, Fox shrugged off the questions, saying: "I would answer that, but you guys [media] would run with it somehow, so I'll just not answer it."

It sucks to suck.

Nobody in LA is going to drive to Carson in August to watch preseason games in the heat. I'm sure once the regular season rolls around they'll sell out and fill that place with opposing team's fans.

Dolphin fans are going to fill that stadium (myself included), there are a ton here in So. Cal...hell we filled up Qualcomm last year too.

Philly-Gaf if you want a few nuggets on the Dolphins-Philly practice (Particularly about our terrible defense)

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article168825227.html

gutshot

Dolphin fans are going to fill that stadium (myself included), there are a ton here in So. Cal...hell we filled up Qualcomm last year too.

Philly-Gaf if you want a few nuggets on the Dolphins-Philly practice (Particularly about our terrible defense)

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article168825227.html

Good stuff. Our passing game should be pretty good this season, so I wouldn't say the struggles there are all on your D. The Eagles have some weapons through the air.

Our run game on the other hand...

cdyhybrid

3KHkvCr.png

Boston

MechDX

Michael Skolnik‏Verified account @MichaelSkolnik 36m36 minutes ago
More
The NFL owners of the following teams gave ONE MILLION DOLLARS to Trump: Redskins, Jaguars, Texans, Patriots, Jets and Rams. #ImWithKap

Michael Skolnik‏Verified account @MichaelSkolnik 32m32 minutes ago
More
Replying to @MichaelSkolnik
The NFL’s marketing division donated $100,000 to Trump’s inaugural committee, as did the Major League Baseball Commissioner’s office.

Michael Skolnik‏Verified account @MichaelSkolnik 31m31 minutes ago
More
Replying to @MichaelSkolnik
The MSG Company (Knicks, Rangers, Liberty) donated $1 million to Trump.

Quicken Loans, founded by Cavs owner Dan Gilbert, donated $750,000.

Gata? We did it!

bigosc2k

Banned
My Niners are making this goddamn league more progressive, while Robert Kraft is giving rings to dictators.
Our team is doing it, hiring the first full time female and lgbt assistant coach, a Jed being a cheap ass and didn't donate to Trump, a win in our book. Also California didn't vote for Trump.

MechDX

Our team is doing it, hiring the first full time female and lgbt assistant coach, a Jed being a cheap ass and didn't donate to Trump, a win in our book. Also California didn't vote for Trump.

https://www.campaignmoney.com/political/contributions/jed-york.asp?cycle=16

YORK, JED
SANTA CLARA, CA
95054 San Francisco 49Ers/Owner $1,900 10/02/2016 G DENHAM FOR CONGRESS - Republican
YORK, JED
SANTA CLARA, CA
95054 San Francisco 49Ers/Ceo $500 09/24/2016 P HILLARY VICTORY FUND
YORK, JED
SANTA CLARA, CA
95054 San Francisco 49Ers/Ceo $2,700 04/30/2015 P KAMALA HARRIS FOR SENATE - Democrat
YORK, JED
SANTA CLARA, CA
95054 San Francisco 49Ers/Ceo $2,700 04/30/2015 G KAMALA HARRIS FOR SENATE - Democrat
YORK, JED
SANTA CLARA, CA
95054 San Francisco 49Ers/Ceo $5,400 04/30/2015 ACTBLUE

You aint kidding. He donated $500 to Hillary

JABEE

Is the players union not going to do anything about the Kaepernick situation? I know Kaepernick is staying quiet, but you would think someone would be out there saying something. I read Eric Winston saying they are providing him with consultation if he needs it. It’s just strange.

Kaepernick is out of the league after doing something controversial on the field of play that was not against the rules. It’s like the PA is okay with him being a martyr as long as two guys on each team put their fist up or something unorganized. There doesn’t appear to be any organized stance on player conduct on-field.

Is the players union not going to do anything about the Kaepernick situation? I know Kaepernick is staying quiet, but you would think someone would be out there saying something. I read Eric Winston saying they are providing him with consultation if he needs it. It’s just strange.

Kaepernick is out of the league after doing something controversial on the field of play that was not against the rules. It’s like the PA is okay with him being a martyr as long as two guys on each team put their fist up or something unorganized. There doesn’t appear to be any organized stance on player conduct on-field.

NFLPA is absolutely worthless

MechDX

NFLPA is absolutely worthless

Eric Winston is a blowhard. He wants a job after he is done playing in the media and only takes these "hard line stances" as head players rep in the NFLPA to further his own agenda by getting his name out there.

Looking at Ross he donated $2700 to Jeb and nobody else running for Pres, and he has a mix of Republican and Dem candidates for all sorts of positions.

My team is doing it

#Finsup

Jay-Cutler-signs-with-desperate-Miami-Dolphins.png

Eric Winston is a blowhard. He wants a job after he is done playing in the media and only takes these "hard line stances" as head players rep in the NFLPA to further his own agenda by getting his name out there.

Jay-Cutler-signs-with-desperate-Miami-Dolphins.png

Things are a little rough right now but next year we'll be back! ;_;

JABEE

This is hilarious.

Lane Johnson said:
I’d already heard all the stories about Philly fans before I was ever drafted by the Eagles — how they threw snowballs at Santa Claus, and how St. Nick got off easy because, hey, at least it hadn’t been batteries. When I finally got here I realized a lot of that stuff is entirely overblown.

But I also learned there’s also a little bit of truth to it.

I still vividly remember being on that bus, as we got closer to the stadium, all these Eagles fans were lining the streets — hundreds, maybe even thousands of them — and they were all flipping us off.

Every fan basically went through the same sequence. They’d start by flipping us the bird and then they’d do a double take when they realized that it was in fact our bus and not the other team’s. Then they’d suddenly stop what they were doing, put on a huge smile and wave to us. It was frickin’ hilarious.

That’s Philly, man. This is a place with an edge. That’s the culture — and when you play for the Eagles, there’s no getting around it

Anyway, several hours later, after the game is over, I leave the stadium, walk out of the players entrance and my mom and my aunt were nowhere to be found. I was half confused, half worried. Then I call my mom and I hear all this noise in the background.

They were still at the tailgate, more than a few drinks in. The game might have been over, but the party was not — even though we lost.

So I finally find them, slightly worse for wear, and as we start walking towards my car this random Cowboys fan starts mouthing off about how Philly sucks and the Eagles are trash — this and that. Now, fans are naturally entitled to their opinion, I respect that. But this guy clearly didn’t have a good sense of his surroundings. He continued to talk as we were walking away, and then out of nowhere, he gets clocked by someone wearing a McNabb jersey.

At least I think it was McNabb. Maybe Westbrook. But yeah, that happened.

I realized that if you want to be a Cowboys fan, that that’s something between you and your maker. But never be a Cowboys fan dumb enough to mouth off at an Eagles tailgate in Philly.

Also some thoughts on Wentz

Fortunately, the roster we have now is filled with guys on both sides of the ball who play Eagles football — not least of which is our quarterback, Bear Grylls … uh, Carson Wentz.

Here’s the deal with Carson: The kid is tough as s*** and North Dakotan as hell.

He’ll always show up in the locker room looking like he’s ready to scale Kilimanjaro — camo hat, boots, backpack with a bunch of hooks on it — which is why I’ve taken to calling him Bear Grylls.

On the field, he runs like a damn deer, but he also has remarkable poise in the pocket. Even though he was just a rookie last year, he always seems to be in control. That’s not a coincidence, it’s by design. If you happen to show up to the team facility at 5:30 in the morning, there’s a good chance you’ll see Carson watching film. He doesn’t make a big display of it. The kid just loves football, and he’s only getting better.

Let's GO!

Let me tell you what’s going to happen in a couple of weeks: This team is going to go down to D.C. and whup some ass against the Redskins. We’re going to surprise some people.

That’s where the momentum is going to begin, and then the hype train is just going to get bigger as the league realizes that the Eagles are back. The NFC East is the toughest division in all of football and it’s going to get even tougher this season because nobody is going to want to face us. I’m not saying this just to blow smoke, I’m telling you guys this is how it’s going to go down.

So Philly, here’s what we’re gonna need from you: Fly with us and just be you.

Come out to the games, drink some beers and raise some hell. Make this a place where our team loves to play and everybody else hates — especially Cowboys fans.

We’ll take care of the rest.

Man, is it September 10 yet?

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/lane-johnson-eagles-dont-mess-with-philly/

Pepiope

Kaep is getting the same treatment Rhodes got when the NFL found out he was gay.

I renege wanting the eagles to sign him as he had a solid season the year before, but he was basically ignored.

At least kaep is getting some attention.

For those that missed it, Raiders LT Donald Penn ended his holdout yesterday, reported to the team facility, and practiced. Here's where it gets interesting, NFL Network's Michael Silver did a radio interview yesterday morning where he stated:

”My reporting has not suggested that Donald Penn is coming back," Silver said.

”I believe the only way you would see him come back at this point would be if there was, let's say, understanding between the two parties (that) though a new deal is not done that moment that they are on the path to completing (one).

”My understanding is that that's not the case," Silver continued. ”So right now, I think we're still in a holding pattern and it's very much an impasse."

http://www.957thegame.com/articles/...mpasse-holdouts-are-supposed-be-uncomfortable

The funny part, Penn was at the Raider facility while Silver was saying this on the radio...

Benjamin Allbright‏Verified account
@AllbrightNFL
Benjamin Allbright Retweeted 95.7 The Game
He was literally in the building during this interview...
9:12 PM - 23 Aug 2017

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/900511142207991808

cdyhybrid

For those that missed it, Raiders LT Donald Penn ended his holdout yesterday, reported to the team facility, and practiced. Here's where it gets interesting, NFL Network's Michael Silver did a radio interview yesterday morning where he stated:

http://www.957thegame.com/articles/...mpasse-holdouts-are-supposed-be-uncomfortable

The funny part, Penn was at the Raider facility while Silver was saying this on the radio...

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/900511142207991808

A rat got smoked out

bionic77

If the NFLPA put it up to a vote, would they support Kaepernick?
Probably not because he is bad for the whole business (he drives the racist fans away and there are a lot of them) and I am guessing they would pick $$$ over doing the right thing.

But maybe I am being too cynical.

Hindl

All I got from this was Philly fans can't tell their team bus from visiting teams buses, wentz is an all merican boy from real merica. Also being back implies they were at the top of the mountain at one time. He is right about the NFCE being a brutal division shits gonna be crazy this season!
Yeah Player's Tribune pieces are mostly rah-rah fluff pieces that don't mean much. I've only read one or two that have actually been insightful. And I think he's just talking about returning to the early 2000s when it was a given the Eagles would win the East. But yeah the NFC East is gonna be crazy. I can see at the end of the season all of the teams being grouped together and the division winner barely cracking 10 wins. From the outside it'll look like the East sucks again but in reality it's just all the teams beating up on each other. Dallas and the Giants are the obvious favorites, and the annual preseason Eagles hype train has started up in the national media so they're starting to get dark horse looks, but everyone's ignoring Washington too. Lost in the shitshow that has been their front office and QB situation is the fact that they quietly had a good offseason in the draft and FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom