• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need A Sidescroller (Switch)

Speely

Banned
Help me, GAF. I am currently playing the shit out of Divinity: Original Sin II and will soon be spiralling into a Mario Odyssey vortex...

But I need a badass sidescrolling action game for the Switch in my life rn. Divinity has me at home (when not getting my ass kicked in Arms,) but I spend a lot of time on my Switch portably. I am torn between Axiom Verge, Volgarr (never played it!) and Steamworld Dig 2.

My criteria: I like HARD sidescrollers. Dead Cells obssesses me, for example (Switch port when?.) I also like great, precise controls (ok, we all do, but I figured I would list that as a definite priority.)

The only missing piece in my Switch library is a badass sidescroller, which is weird since it has a fair amount of them. I will end up getting all three eventually (they all look really great,) but I want just one now to eat up some commute time before Mario drops.

Other games than those listed are welcome, of course. I just want some fast-paced, difficult 2d action on the go. Leaning toward Volgarr since it looks like the hardest of the 3. Am I wrong in assuming that? I am guessing that Volgarr > Axiom Verge > Steamworld Dig 2 is the difficulty spread.

I got Volgarr today and if you're looking for hard then that's your game. It reminds me of Dark Souls in the whole pattern/level recognition aspect.

It might be a tad too hard, I had to keep putting it down out of frustration at times. But it's a lot of fun when it clicks.

SWD2 is not hard whatsoever (but still an amazing game, best traversal mechanics in a 2D game period), and Axiom Verge has a hard mode I believe but it's very forgiving, with no death penalties and a lot of well spaced save points.

jorgejjvr

Steamworld Dig 2 gets my highest recommendation.

Beat it, and still playing it trying to 100% it. It's that good.

Probably among my GOTY.

There's also ways to make it much harder with Cogs, which are upgrades (yes upgrades to make the game harder)

Get it, you won't regret it.

My criteria: I like HARD sidescrollers. Dead Cells obssesses me, for example (Switch port when?.) I also like great, precise controls (ok, we all do, but I figured I would list that as a definite priority.)

Volgarr is right up your alley. It's hard in the Super Ghouls n' Ghosts kind of way. I really enjoyed it even though I gave up on beating it.

Rasec46

Neo Member
Volgarr is exactly what you need and it's also the cheapest of the three you listed.

It took me maybe 2h just to finish the first world. xD

Speely

Banned
Volgarr it is!

I can't comment on those 3, but I highly recommend Rayman Legends if you haven't played it yet.

Played it and loved it!

Probably among my GOTY.

Totally sold on this, but it will prolly have to wait until after Mario. Seems like a bit more of a time sink (in a good way) than I can handle rn.

SteamWorld Dig 2 is short but sweet. Around 8 hours to beat, and maybe 12ish to 100%? But it doesn't overstay its welcome, its physics are precise (and they click with you even further when you find the post-game trials!), and everything has a Nintendo like polish to it.

Sorry, can't judge the other two.

Volgarr is frustration incarnate, and it's glorious.

Serious Super Ghouls and Ghosts PTSD from playing it.

It's fun and fair tho.

Murrah

Banned
If you liked Meat Boy, Slime-san is really great. In a lot of ways I actually like it more. But I never really see it talked about anywhere

bede-x

All three are great games, but only Volgarr is hard. Steamworld Dig 2 sounds like something you'll find too easy and Axiom Verge isn't really too difficult either.

Speely

Banned
Steamworld Dig 2 is easy but you get modifiers you can activate to make your game harder.

Ooh interesting. That's a cool option. Looking forward to it. Prolly gonna be a November game for me.

So weird... Between Steam and Switch I am kinda overwhelmed with options. For the first time ever I am literally planning out my gaming schedule lol.

atr0cious

Volgarr rules and is appropriately priced so grab that, but definitely check out GoNNER when you get the chance. It's mario with a gun in procedurally produced levels that get progressively stuffed with monsters. The controls are super tight, allowing for shooting while wall jumping, and feel really great on the joycons, with the HD rumble adding really great heft to weapons. The art style is also really cool and perfect for the game with everything readable despite the action you get up to.

Shovel Knight!

Also Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap isn't hard but it sure is pretty

What's that 2D retro remake with the tank you can get out of and shoot stuff? Name escapes me but the demo was fun.

Speely

Banned
Volgarr rules and is appropriately priced so grab that, but definitely check out GoNNER when you get the chance. It's mario with a gun in procedurally produced levels that get progressively stuffed with monsters. The controls are super tight, allowing for shooting while wall jumping, and feel really great on the joycons, with the HD rumble adding really great heft to weapons. The art style is also really cool and perfect for the game with everything readable despite the action you get up to.

Oh shit... I completely forgot about GoNNER! Yeah that's a sure thing for me as well. Watched a gameplay vid that totally sold me on it. Good looking out.

How do I hold all these games?

Shovel Knight!

Also Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap isn't hard but it sure is pretty

What's that 2D retro remake with the tank you can get out of and shoot stuff? Name escapes me but the demo was fun.

Shovel Knight is phenomenal, but I played it already. Good advice, though :)

Haven't played the Wonder Boy game yet, tho.

Probably among my GOTY.

There's also ways to make it much harder with Cogs, which are upgrades (yes upgrades to make the game harder)

The constant very high praise this game gets reaaally makes me want to pick it up sooner rather than later. So much to play already tho...

Shahadan

wouldn't elliot quest be a good fit

It's probably a bit more adventure-y than the others but if you haven't played that it releases on switch this week

Volgarr is so good. It is hard, but like others have said it is fair. It was a great feeling to beat the game. When I first started it took like an hour or two to beat the first level, but now I can beat it in under 3 minutes (did it for one of the achievements). I still need to go back and get ending A sometime though.

B_Bech

Blaster Master Zero.

I will note that Blaster Master Zero is laughably easy— a stark contrast from the original.

OP, if you’re looking for a hard switch side-scroller I’m going to have to echo Volgarr. Steam World Dig 2 and Sonic Mania I’ll also recommend, despite them not being hard at all. If you like Metroidvania I’d pass on Axiom and wait for Hallow Knight. Axiom Verge was very “meh” to me, but the latter is probably one of my favorites in the sub-genre.

Ludist210

I will note that Blaster Master Zero is laughably easy— a stark contrast from the original.
I can vouch for that as well. It's still a fun game, but there's very little challenge because of the modern additions (easy to follow map, mostly).

Speely

Banned

OP, if you’re looking for a hard switch side-scroller I’m going to have to echo Volgarr. Steam World Dig 2 and Sonic Mania I’ll also recommend, despite them not being hard at all. If you like Metroidvania I’d pass on Axiom and wait for Hallow Knight. Axiom Verge was very “meh” to me, but the latter is probably one of my favorites in the sub-genre.

I am waiting like a starving fucking cat tensed outside a mouse hole for Hollow Knight, I assure you. Specifically held off playing it till the Switch version drops. Has been hard.

Also, I do like easier games. Will prolly make a LTTP thread about Steamworld Dig 2 once I play it hehe. I just have a hankering for a punishing game rn is all.

Neol

Along with your other choices I would also recommend Cave Story if you havn't played that already.

A bit pricey though but something to put on your radar.

czk51

I'm actually in the same boat at the moment. I was just about to pull the trigger on Axiom Verge but the Elliot's Quest thread got me pretty excited. I also have Blaster Master Zero but it just never grabbed me. I love Slime-San but later on some of the movements jumping / dashing and 'phasing' don't gel for me on the joy-cons and I feel like I'm going to snap the thing.

Also have the Shovel Knight Treasure Trove collection which is a classic.

Speely

Banned
Along with your other choices I would also recommend Cave Story if you havn't played that already.

A bit pricey though but something to put on your radar.

This is the one I know the least about. Kinda flew under my radar. How is it in bite-sized chunks? I have heard great things, but never played.

I'm actually in the same boat at the moment. I was just about to pull the trigger on Axiom Verge but the Elliot's Quest thread got me pretty excited. I also have Blaster Master Zero but it just never grabbed me. I love Slime-San but later on some of the movements jumping / dashing and 'phasing' don't gel for me on the joy-cons and I feel like I'm going to snap the thing.

Also have the Shovel Knight Treasure Trove collection which is a classic.

Elliot's Quest is a given for me. I will devour that game. I specifically left it out of this thread because it's already a lock lol. Zelda II is one of my favorite games. I also held off on Axiom Verge because of Hollow Knight, somewhat strangely. Perhaps faulty logic, but damn I only have so much time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I love challenging games, love hard difficulty. Never made it past the second stage of Volgarr. So have fun OP :p

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
... shit.

Gotta say I didn't give that second stage a lot of tries because it already took me an hour to make it past the first stage. I was pretty worn out by that point, but I should try again sometime. It is definitely difficult though

noquarter

Yeah, if you like Ghouls and Ghosts, Volgar is good. It is a game that you really just have to get good and learn the levels, enemies and bosses to beat.

Hope you like it. It is a little short, just hard, so will probably be good for playing on the go, as you will probably just make a little bit of progress each day.

Top Bottom