• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Former and current ND employees about the allegations

stryke

Is it common in the games industry for people who were fired to stay unemployed for over a year? I mean, you'd think he'd find a job by now.

I feel like having ND on your resume should take you places, but I suspect from his tweets he may not be interviewing well (is it really a smart thing to say you got burnt out by crunch to a potential game dev employer?) and maybe due to the events outlined by Jason he's burnt bridges with colleagues for good referees.

So do we at least take a step back and drop our pitchforks and wait for more info or are ppl from both sides gonna double down on their stance just because

Kiyo

This almost seems like a hit-piece against Ballard.

What's the point of including this in the article?

The point of including that line was the sentences before and after it. The line is there to explain why the employees knew about all these problems. I don't understand how that makes this a hit-piece.

chadskin

I don't get how this "doesn't look good for Ballard" or how this harms his credibility. He said the sexual harassment occurred in late 2015, the mental breakdown in February 2016. It's entirely possible that the former led to latter. Imagine going to work every day, for long hours, and having to face the person who sexually harassed you.

All Kotaku's reporting says is that, yes, he had a mental breakdown in February 2016 but the Naughty Dog employees they've spoken to weren't aware of any sexual harassment.

Stuart444

What is "CC"?

Carbon Copy. it means e-mailing it to other people besides the person it's being sent to primarily.

ie you're sending your boss an e-mail and want to CC it to another department for some reason. (there is also BCC for Blind Carbon Copy where people other than you won't know who else received the e-mail)

Nerokis

It means they may not be assessing events or situations accurately. People in perfectly healthy states of mind are prone to all kinds of errors and biases in cognition. A person suffering from distress may be even less rational. So it is at least possible that a person in mental distress could be less trustworthy.

Fair point, but it's important for the "could be" to not functionally mean "is." Otherwise, it leans too much into misguided stigmatization surrounding mental health issues, reinforces a false narrative where someone damaged by abuse/exploitation/whatever else is inherently less trustworthy for the symptoms of damage they showcase, and other things along those lines.

It's possible Ballard's allegations reflect some sort of error borne of distress. The existence of that distress, however, does not by itself indicate that his version of events is incorrect in any way, shape, or form.

Deku Tree

Some of Ballard’s troubles became more widely known in late February of that year after he sent a hostile e-mail to a tech artist that was CCed to everyone at the company, two people said. Various rumors circulated at the studio and the situation was escalated from Naughty Dog’s internal human resources department to Sony’s HR.

Are they suggesting the other tech artist is the harraser?

I don't get how this "doesn't look good for Ballard" or how this harms his credibility. He said the sexual harassment occurred in late 2015, the mental breakdown in February 2016. It's entirely possible that the former led to latter. Imagine going to work every day, for long hours, and having to face the person who sexually harassed you.

All Kotaku's reporting says is that, yes, he had a mental breakdown in February 2016 but the Naughty Dog employees they've spoken to weren't aware of any sexual harassment.
Right...I don't quite understand most of the first page. This article doesn't disprove anything.

Jonboy

Been waiting for something from Jason. Seriously good work collecting as much information as possible. He’s the best in the business.

Again, I think it's very much a possibility that ND was telling the truth that they had no evidence of the harassment and that Ballard did experience it. But everyone had the pitchforks out yesterday.
Yep. Unfortunately with him never filing reports specifically for sexual harassment, it makes the whole situation even more difficult. He has this breakdown, which results in him calling out an employee to the entire company over email. Then it’s escalated to Sony HR and by that point, he probably knows it’s highly likely he’s being fired.

From what we know, it’s only at that point that he brings up the sexual harassment allegations. That’s a difficult spot for a company and they likely had no choice but to fire him. It also sucks for Ballard if the sexual harassment did occur, led to his mental breakdown, and he just never felt comfortable coming forward until he the end.

Again, I think it's very much a possibility that ND was telling the truth that they had no evidence of the harassment and that Ballard did experience it. But everyone had the pitchforks out yesterday.

Yup, both could be the case, they aren't mutually exclusive. And we're on the outside with little information until reporting like this.

Good work, Jason. Clarity is important here so we can get a better idea of what happened.

This.

What is "CC"?

Carbon copy. When you want to send an email to multiple people, who should be in the loop as an "fyi". Often your direct manager or director during important discussions.

More common than you think. I've been on the receiving end of a few 'CC all email bollockings' in my time (unjustly I might add!). Some workplaces have that (rather unhealthy/adversarial/toxic) management culture.

I've seen a few, but they are highly unprofessional. Especially at larger corporations with a reputation to keep. Probably the worst use of CC is when people CC their directors and VPs to get the attention of someone or to throw the hot potato at them and when it's resolved, the CC'd folks magically disappear because they don't "reply all".

It irritates me.

Best wishes.

Kayant

Well the statement given by ND/Sony now makes sense if this is all accurate. As always we should try to keep speculation on these kinds of issues to a minimal as bystanders.
What is "CC"?
Have you used email before? lol :p

Edit - Beaten

This is such a wild story. I find it odd that Ballard won't say anything. You'd think he would try to get his story out there more if he could, right? Will be fascinating to follow as it develops.

I think it's understandable. Coming forward as a victim of sexual harassment is difficult enough as it is and now the spotlight is firmly centered on him. I mean, I doubt Kotaku is the only medium trying to get in contact with him. I would certainly feel intimidated when I'm suddenly expected to make additional details public.

I that light, I think it would've been better if he had brought the full story into the open immediately, on his own terms, preferably with solid evidence backing him up. But that's an easy thing to say with hindsight, of course. I just hope the current situation will not work against him.

Maybe he's spoken to a solicitor and was told not to talk to the press.

Still not enough information available to discuss this properly.

Kolx

It proves that naughty dog isn't infested with sexual harassment, and most importantly gives a reason on why Sony fired him. The two things could be linked ofc but he should've disclosed this from the beginning since it's definitely responsible even partly for why HR got involved.

At this point, given the lack of a complete picture, I'm inclined to believe both Ballards story and that Naughty Dog, aside from the lead in question, didn't really do anything wrong here.

L Thammy

The article really doesn't change anything so the people jumping to conclusions like unfounded complaint are being stupid.

He claims he took it directly to HR not to everyone in the company. A second employee on twitter also says they had their own sexual harassment there.

In a case like this there isn't a lot that can be said or done in either direction if those employees did not keep documentation at the exact time it occurred if it did.

This is where I'm at. This doesn't hugely shift anything in either direction, and if Ballard just didn't talk to his coworkers about it than it still seems to line up. The new details, as far as I can tell, are:

- Confirmation that Ballard had a mental breakdown
- Claim that Ballard went to HR about something, although it wasn't clear what, or believed to be about something else
- None of these other people had any knowledge of Ballard being sexually harassed
- Ballard's e-mail incident, which may have been part of the mental breakdown, and got HR involved

Ballard's story isn't really supported much, but it isn't disproven, and we still have another claim that we should keep in mind.

Digital0Reality

Neo Member
Not sure where these "not looking good for Ballard" posts are coming from. It says right in the article that a current employee believes him.

zelas

This isn’t a game.

No, it isn't. People's livelihood and those that depend on them are being threatened for no other reason than an accusation. This isn't a game, so what's wrong with waiting for things to be hashed out instead of just declaring somebody is 100% lying or that someone 100% would never tell a lie just because sexual harassment is involved. We have nothing substantial here. The other threads stuffed with full throated declarations were embarrassing.

zsynqx

The article really doesn't change anything so the people jumping to conclusions like unfounded complaint are being stupid.

He claims he took it directly to HR not to everyone in the company. A second employee on twitter also says they had their own sexual harassment there.

In a case like this there isn't a lot that can be said or done in either direction if those employees did not keep documentation at the exact time it occurred if it did.

Sorry, I must have missed this. Could I possibly have a link?

Memento

Email copy.

Carbon Copy. it means e-mailing it to other people besides the person it's being sent to primarily.

ie you're sending your boss an e-mail and want to CC it to another department for some reason. (there is also BCC for Blind Carbon Copy where people other than you won't know who else received the e-mail)

Carbon copy. When you want to send an email to multiple people, who should be in the loop as an "fyi". Often your direct manager or director during important discussions.

Have you used email before? lol :p

Thanks

Well, he did have a mental breakdown before he was let go, which doesn't exactly help his credibility.

Time for the conclusion-jumpers from the other thread to eat some crow?

Lol so many people are just so ready to let Naughty Dog off the hook

Well, he did have a mental breakdown before he was let go, which doesn't exactly help his credibility.

Time for the conclusion-jumpers from the other thread to eat some crow?
Were you really in favour against David? Eat crow? What on earth. The article doesn't even prove anything.

Foxxsoxx

so it's either sexual abuse, the result of exploitative and demanding working conditions, or both

Yes, clearly these are the only two options and there are absolutely no other ways this could go.

......You're joking right? There is a lot we don't know. It could be made up to try and save his job, or true and unjust. It could also be anything inbetween. The thing is, we don't know.

L Thammy

Can be the "mental breakdown" directly related to their allegations?

I'm not sure what you mean. If it was due to sexual harassment, we don't really know. If you mean due to the allegations themselves, Ballard made the allegations well after this breakdown.

I don’t know why people ITT are surprised that he didn’t say anything to his colleagues.

Hasn’t anyone learnt anything from all the stories people have finally been able to get off their chests in t e last few weeks?

It’s hard enough for a lot of victims to be able to speak up about these things in private as it is. Would any of you readily be able to vocalise that you were victimised? On top of that, we all know there are additional stigmas that male sexual abuse victims have to overcome.

I don’t think we should be writing off his claims just yet.

Quasar

Yea, fair enough.

If anything, now ND/Sony can cast doubt on Ballard's credibility, since his mental breakdown worsened the work environment at the studio.

See that makes it seem worse to me. They should have been looking after the guy, having him on sick leave or whatever not kicking him to the curb.

Marcel

Lol so many people are just so ready to let Naughty Dog off the hook

You should not be surprised by this at all. Even though there is nothing definitive one way or the other in the article video game fanboys just want their pet studio to be off the hook.

Pastry

Banned
See that makes it seem worse to me. They should have been looking after the guy, having him on sick leave or whatever not kicking him to the curb.

Publically blasting a coworker via cc to your entire company is enough to get you fired most places, most HR depts will not be lenient on something like that.

nynt9

But didn’t he leave the company in that time frame and come back to it? Why would he come back to a company where he was harassed? I’m just increasingly confused by how this story is developing.

Kolx

His tweets said he had a breakdown and HR got involved. Nothing about this disproves anything he said.

I have no idea where you got the idea this proves ND doesn't have a harassment problem. Because a few employees said they know nothing about it? Two have said they experienced it. Not everyone at a company of hundreds knows everything that's going on.

If the studio was infested you don't think they would notice or heard anything? come on nothing in this story is definite but the only evidence we have right now indicate otherwise. "In February 2016 I had a mental breakdown at work & Sony Playstation HR became involved" that's what he said which made it look like Sony were there to investigate and didn't have a reason to fire him. If he mentioned that it'd have looked like Sony fired him because of that which would explain why they fired him. And as far as I know no one else was verified to have actually worked at ND and said they were harassed unless I missed something?

Maybe I am wrong but I feel this whole thing is getting turbo charged by the incorrect hope/idea that sexual harassment is a "both sides" issue, and therefore not usable in the culture/sex counter-war that seems to be raging under trump.

If a group hates "SJWs" and "political correctness" and "affirmative action" then nothing could be better than a female, or gay, Weinstein right about now. And then of course platform wars play into it as well.

Can't people let this play out to a stop before live blogging early conclusions, and demands?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
DUDE, just come out with the info! Its better to let people know about who attacked you and in what manner! Then the situation can be dealt with! Not that it absolves Sony of how shitty they treated you if that happened to you by coming forward or anything

Rosstimus

Banned
Is it common in the games industry for people who were fired to stay unemployed for over a year? I mean, you'd think he'd find a job by now.

I found that bit interesting as well. Given his pedigree and presumed skillset, you'd think he would be in high demand in the industry. From the article it sounds like there were mental health issues at play.

chadskin

But didn’t he leave the company in that time frame and come back to it? Why would he come back to a company where he was harassed? I’m just increasingly confused by how this story is developing.

You should read the Kotaku report in the OP, it's a good summary.

Ballard worked at Naughty Dog in Los Angeles from around February 2009 to around August 2014 before leaving for San Francisco, where he briefly took a job at Ubisoft, per his online resume and co-workers. In the fall of 2015, he returned to Naughty Dog. One person who worked with Ballard said that the difficulties began then, and that Ballard had told people he was filing HR complaints, although to that person’s knowledge, those complaints were not about sexual harassment but about other issues. Ballard had said he felt harassed for leaving and then returning to the studio, that person said. The person added that they did not know about the sexual harassment allegations until Ballard posted them on Facebook last weekend.

L Thammy

If the studio was infested you don't think they would notice or heard anything? come on nothing in this story is definite but the only evidence we have right now indicate otherwise. "In February 2016 I had a mental breakdown at work & Sony Playstation HR became involved" that's what he said which made it look like Sony were there to investigate and didn't have a reason to fire him. If he mentioned that it'd have looked like Sony fired him because of that which would explain why they fired him. And as far as I know no one with their real names came forward other than him. No one else was verified.

"Infested"?

Top Bottom