• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

Other than keeping a sharp eye to make sure the brutes don't take anything that they're not supposed to, Keranos stands by passively as the glurg is loaded onto the barge.

Nezumi

((Question before I make a proper post. Is it possible for Sagishi to tell whether or not he can follow the barge on foot or if he has to try and sneak onto it?))

Mike M

Nick N
((It's possible to walk alongside the river for the portion of it that actually goes through Hammerfall, but it's fairly swift flowing and goes into a cave system right at the edge of the city, so keeping up stealthily could be a problem.))

Mike M

Nick N
((The barge is maybe 15 feet wide and 30 feet long. It's a step above a raft; flat and empty with no cover save for the glurg itself after they've loaded it.))

Nezumi

((Well, here's to hoping that the trip of the barge doesn't take longer than the hour that it takes for Sagishi's invisibility to wear off...))

Crammed between wine barrels and various supply items Sagishi has transformed back to a fox and watches intently as the glurg is being transfered to the barge. He is relieved to see that Peaseblossom is well and wishes he could have a talk with her before his next move as she might have some helpful information, but time has become a rather rare commodity in their current situation and he can only improvise and count on his luck.

As soon as the pile of glurg on the barge has reached a reasonable size Sagishi uses his newly gained power and turns himself invisible. He darts forward in his vulpine form and with a quick jump transfers to the barge where he seeks cover between the crates of glurg.

Stealth check: 1D20+9 = [15]+9 = 24

With the porters moving their claim on board the barge, Thosar retrieves the bottle and map. He gently uncorks Peaseblossom's prison and stows the map.

((In sylvan))
"Good to see you alive, little one. Did they tell you anything important? Show you?"

((Hopefully your project goes well, Mike.

Galen is apparently standing by the wagon as one of the musclemen. Nezumi, has Sagishi let anyone know what he is doing?))

Nezumi

((Yeah, kinda forgot to mention that in game but I'd say he probably at least told Fhiess and/or Thosar. Definitely not Keranos though ;) ))

<I honestly didn't expect to be given back the bottle so easily, right now Fhiess is mostly just thinking about how big of a mistake he was making.>

Mike M

Nick N
((Project was a test for an employer I want to work for *so fucking bad* that I've been nauseous with anxiety the past week trying to get it done. Just sent it off this morning, so it's out of my hands now, for better or for worse.))

Once the goods have been exchanged, the men seem more than happy to hand over the jar containing the pixie, and indifferent about the map. They immediately cast off and start on their way down the river without even a glance back at the Endowed.

Released from her prison, Peaseblossom flits about in a tight circle above everyone's heads, showering them in a flurry of glowing green motes before alighting atop of Barrow's head. "I tried to follow them, I did," she pouts. "I even made it so they couldn't see me, but they had this rock on a stick that they were waving over everything in the wagon, and it glowed reeeeeeeeeeal bright when they had it near me.

"So I asked them what it was and if I could have one. But they said no. . . ."

Peaseblossom retains her footing even as Barrow slaps his face with his hand in dismay.

"Then they asked if I wanted to see the inside of that jar, and I said yes, because I had never seen the inside of a jar, and I wanted to know if it looked the same on the inside as it did on the outside, even though it was see-through, but then once I was inside it made the outside look funny and I wanted to check to make sure it hadn't changed, but they put that stopper in it and I couldn't get out again."

She pauses long enough to look around her.

"I guess the outside still looks the same after all."

((Keranos doesn't notice Sagishi get on the barge, but obviously, it's kind of impossible to contain that knowledge after the fact, so roll with it : ))

"I'm so glad they didn't hurt you," he mentions, not wanting to point out how easy it was for them to capture her. Fhiess is puzzled by what the magical stone on a stick could be.. it could be anything from a simple light to.. something more than that.

As the wagons with the crates begin to leave, a brief moment of resolve when Peaseblossom is recovered is replaced with worry once more, "But.. Where did Sagishi go?" He looks to Thosar as if seeking ideas from him.

((LEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOY JENKIIIIIIINS!))

Keranos watches the raft drift away, possessed by grim resolve.

When it has drifted forty feet down the river, he casts Shatter in the center of the barrels of glurg.

(anyone)
((Out of character, ::runs away:: I was planning on doing this from the very beginning, I promise! Hopefully Nezumi doesn't kill me :p))

((You don't need an insight check to know what Keranos was up to.))
Thosar takes a moment to let Fheiss' question linger... Then Keranos shatters the contents of the barge.

Nonchalantly, he replies. "He's currently in the middle of that rubble on the barge."

Nezumi

((Well fuck... I mean... Sagishi will have words with Keranos... If he survived this, that is. I'm guessing some kind of save roll is in order, which one?))

Nezumi

Constitution Save:1D20+1= [9]+1= 10

((Going to make a proper post when I know how bad the situation is. And also @ThLunarian, No, I'm not gonna kill you, probably. Personally I think that this situation is hilarious :D))

Ludwig takes Thosar's statement in stride, looks out to the barge erupting into chaos, and says "Yup, that seems less than ideal."

The J'raffa looks back at the wagon, then back towards the somewhat distant barge. "Want a drink for this? I think there's some leftover booze in our wagon."

((Rolled 15 damage for the spell. DC to save is 15 I think - base of 8, plus 4 for Cha, plus 3 for Proficiency. Though I'm not sure how the probable explosion is going to affect any of those numbers.

And yeah I fully expect Keranos to get chewed out by 3 other PCs at a minimum ;P

I'm gonna have a reaction to being told that Sagishi was on the boat, but I was waiting for exposition on the results of the spell))

Nezumi

Sagishi makes himself comfortable between the crates of Glurg as the barge departs towards its unknown destination. He intently watches his surroundings through a crack to be sure to find his way back to the others when without a warning the crates around him blow up. Hit by the blast, flying shards of glass and wooden splinters he yelps in pain as he is flung into the river.

His concentration is gone and when he surfaces so is his invisibility. Hurting like hell he tries to orient himself and paddles desperately to get back to the shore.

Strength check:1d20-1=[13]-1=12

He isn't the best swimmer though and the current is rather strong.

Fhiess begins chasing along the river after the fox in a panic, but hesitates to jump into the river himself in a mix of uncertainty of his abilities and no real way of making a rescue easier.

Ludwig quits making light of things pretty quick once Sagishi starts getting swept away by the current. "Well fuck. Should I go in after him, or can one of you magic this problem away?"

((While 5e lacks heavy armor penalties for swimming and Ludwig's athletics skill is fairly high, I feel obligated to ask if the heavily armored giraffe can swim before jumping in to save Sagishi.))

Mike M

Nick N
Ludwig quits making light of things pretty quick once Sagishi starts getting swept away by the current. "Well fuck. Should I go in after him, or can one of you magic this problem away?"

((While 5e lacks heavy armor penalties for swimming and Ludwig's athletics skill is fairly high, I feel obligated to ask if the heavily armored giraffe can swim before jumping in to save Sagishi.))

((Giraffes are technically, theoretically, capable of swimming very poorly. And we only know that much from computer modeling, because I don't think anyone has ever seen one swimming.

So yeah, probably not a good idea.))

((I am going to assume that the entire barge just straight up exploded then, and that the goons on it aren't a factor right now))

Keranos looks at Thosar, his expression blank.

It stays that way for about three seconds as he processes what he's heard.

"WHAT?! Sagishi? What was he..."

He trails off and jogs along the riverside, unfastening the straps of his armor as he scans the water, his eyes wide and panicked.

"SAGISHI!" he bellows. "HANG ON! WE'LL SAVE YOU!"

If he's able to see him in the water, he reaches out and imbues Sagishi with divine healing magic.

((Use my familiar to deliver a Cure Wounds spell for +10 HP))

After delivering the healing spell, Keranos continues to work on unfastening his armor, intending to jump in after Sagishi.

((Proposal 3: How fast is the current going? Is it slow enough to where Ludwig could sprint ahead of Sagishi downstream? If he can, is Sagishi within 15 or so feet of the shore so Ludwig could stretch his neck out over the river with the sword in his mouth pointing ahead so Sagishi could grab on?))

Mike M

Nick N
((With Ludwig's movement speed, he could sprint fast enough to overtake Sagishi. The river is too deep for an enlarged giraffe to move effectively. An 18 for an athletics check falls short of Sagishi reaching the shore, but would get him within distance for Ludwig's plan to work.))

((MikeM:
Gonna use my portent to get Sagishi's roll assured.
I'm gonna presume that a pole is better for grabbing than a sword, so...))
Leaning against the cart, Thosar motions to Ludwig. He remains unperturbed but certain as he takes out a 10 foot pole patch from his robe. As it extends to its full length, he hands it to the giraffe.

"Sagishi will be swimming closer to our side of the river but won't be able to make it to shore. If you run to him right now and give him a pole to latch onto, though, you can fish him out. Good luck!"

Nezumi

Sagishi is peddling frantically in the water with the shore seemingly miles away. He can here some shouting in the distance but is only half able to make anything out over the roaring of the river in his ears.

Suddenly however he can feel some of the pain go away and swimming becomes at least a little easier even though the shore still seems a far way off.

Ludwig hauls ass down the stream until he's far enough ahead of Sagishi to ready the pole. He shouts "Get ready to grab on!" before gripping it with his mouth and pointing it out into the river. He then moves to the edge of the bank and cranes as far out as he can without risking falling in himself, giving Sagishi something to grab onto.

Fhiess huffs as he runs close, trying his best to reassure his friend, "Hang on! Ludwig's saving you and he was given something you can latch onto!"

Nezumi

Having no hands at the moment and too afraid to transform back because of the weight that his clothes would add, Sagishi can only bite down on the pole as hard as possible, digging his tiny sharp teeth in the wood.

Nezumi

((Huh, read right over that paragraph apparently. Bless that robe and the fact that you are the only one remembering that we have it. Though now I wonder if we missed the opportunity to have Ludwig hurl one of our three boats at Sagishi.))

((Galen, on Ludwig, can quickly tie the rope he grabbed from the wagon around himself and, holding onto that, join Sagishi in the river to try to pull him out. How well could Ludwig hold the rope and pull them to shore?))

((He probably can't hold it while holding the pole. Though if you were able to tie part of it to him, I don't think there would be any risk of him getting dragged into the river.))

Nezumi

((Can't Ludwig just haul Sagishi out now that he has attached himself to the pole. As a fox he isn't all that heavy. Though I fear I'll need to make another strength check for holding on. Sagishi doesn't like strength checks...

Strength check: 1D20-1 = [7]-1 = 6

((Yeah, maybe Galen jumping in isn't the worst idea after all.))

((I assumed that's what would be happening, just didn't want to cut off Song. Though yeah, if Sagishi can't hold on to the pole, it's probably good that the rope is there.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Galen hanging on to a rope tied around Ludwig won't be any great stress for Ludwig. Getting it tied before Sagishi loses his grip is an Animal Handling check for Galen, reflecting knowledge of how best to tie a rope around an animal to properly distribute the load and everything and how to do so quickly.))

Top Bottom