• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Mully

otake said:
Walk/run/walk/run

Find a ratio of minutes and have at it.

Really? I've been training for it for about 5 months now. I've been able to run about 10 miles in about an hour and fifteen minutes. I normally do my 10K in about 47 minutes. I was planning on running at 6 mph pace throughout the entire half marathon.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Mully said:
Really? I've been training for it for about 5 months now. I've been able to run about 10 miles in about an hour and fifteen minutes. I normally do my 10K in about 47 minutes. I was planning on running at 6 mph pace throughout the entire half marathon.

If you can do it, go for it.

castlegar said:
Ran my first ever 10k race today (and my first official race of any type, really) and came 37th of about 1500 with 37:30. I've been running for about a year, mostly to get in shape and shed some pounds. I've only recently starting getting serious about it and this really made me feel good about where I'm at. Looking forward to trying something a bit longer.

I was wondering if anyone had some good 'first steps' in getting out of my comfort zone of about that 10k distance? I've never done intervals, but I've heard they're good for progress. And I've also heard that just slowly increasing distance a bit at a time is another good way. Thoughts?

Great time! You have some talent.

Sign up for a half marathon. Dedicate one run a week to be a long run. I'm guessing you can handle starting at 8-10 miles easily and bump it up a few miles every week, dialing it back every third or fourth week to "rest." Get up to 16-18 for a half, or eventually 20-22 for a marathon. I'd also recommend throwing in some intervals and tempo runs. Speed intervals will make you stronger and increase your pace, but if you want to increase distance, focus on your long and tempo days.

Cyan

Banned
castlegar said:
Ran my first ever 10k race today (and my first official race of any type, really) and came 37th of about 1500 with 37:30. I've been running for about a year, mostly to get in shape and shed some pounds. I've only recently starting getting serious about it and this really made me feel good about where I'm at. Looking forward to trying something a bit longer.
Jesus, first ever 10k and you beat my PR by like 9 minutes. :jnc

I haven't run that many 10ks, but I'm confident I will never get a time that good. Wow.

Mully said:

You're not giving yourself enough credit for the half. If you can run ten miles in training at 7:30 a mile, you should be able to fairly easily hold the same pace for 13.1 in a race. Do a few long runs in the 12-14 range and some short tempos (3-4 miles) at 7:20/mile and you'll kill it.

Why's your 10k slower than your 10 mile pace?

Danielsan

Kind of proud of myself. I started running around April/May. I had to take a 3-4 week break from running in July due to me moving to my own apartment. Since then I've been running at least once (more often 2 to 3 times) every week. That's absolutely huge for me, considering I never practiced any sports in my life. Well... aside from PE at school and 3 months of Judo when I was 14.

Looking at my My Tracks stats, I was to able to do around 5km in 27 minutes at the end of June. Yesterday I did my first 10k+ run without any breaks. I ran 11.82km in 1:03:21. I'm sure that's absolutely peanuts for the most of you, but it's a pretty significant step for me. I previously couldn't do it without at least 2 or 3 breaks. I'm extra happy with my results considering the terrain that I traverse. A huge part of my route goes through the dunes and I ran at least 2 km of my 11.82km run on the beach.

YNFDR.jpg

A small section of my route to give you an indication.

Hopefully I can keep on training throughout the fall and winter. I really want to enter some competitions next year. I may not be able to really compete for time, but at least I can say I entered and finished one. :)

NIghtWolf

I been running for a week now, I'm doing 2.5 miles. I feel that's slow so I want to train my speed somehow without having to risk too much for an injure. I miss stepped today while running and all the weight went to my ankle (for a matter of half a second) and I didn't felt anything.

So I want an advice, how do I train my speed so I manage to run a bit faster my everyday running? (I want to eventually be able to run 5 miles in 45 mins daily if that's not overkill?), also any good exercise (without weights involvement) and tips to make my ankles stronger? I know I could google that stuff but I prefer normal people advice based on their own experiences.

PD: I would use Fridays to train my speed since I will be taking the weekend off (recovery time) and running from Mon to Fry.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any recommendations for cold weather running gear?

Also, I assume my heart rate will lower once I keep running? Doing a mile in 6 minutes is killing me. I am an awful runner. I usually run at a 7:50 pace.

Gaston

Just ran my first marathon ever in Philadelphia today. Clocked in a 3:52:17 which was waaay better then expected. It's time for some GAF browsing downtime for a while.

justin.au

At the moment I am mildly overpronating on my left strike. I've got corrective orthotics for my flat feet, but I've also put far too many miles into my current pair of shoes (which, from the wear, I think are counter-acting the usefulness of the orthotics).

Anyhow, I've had some pain on the outside of my left ankle recently. Is this an injury consistent with overpronation?

A further question, I've been looking at the ASICS Gel-DS Trainer 16 to replace my current pair. Anyone have any comments?

edit: One last thing. Anyone care to comment on my strike?

9PD2g.png

2luLs.png

3M1cN.png

Sadly the snapshots are rather shitty quality. Is my knee too bent when about to push off (last photo)? I'm happy enough with the flatness of the strike, but I still think I tend to over-stride somewhat and my foot lands—perhaps it doesn't fully bear weight—in front of my body. Any tips for correcting this?

Anyhow, I've had some pain on the outside of my left ankle recently. Is this an injury consistent with overpronation?

A further question, I've been looking at the ASICS Gel-DS Trainer 16 to replace my current pair. Anyone have any comments?

Sadly the snapshots are rather shitty quality. Is my knee too bent when about to push off (last photo)? I'm happy enough with the flatness of the strike, but I still think I tend to over-stride somewhat and my foot lands—perhaps it doesn't fully bear weight—in front of my body. Any tips for correcting this?

Here are my thoughts:

(1) Using orthotics + shoes with DuoMax support (that your current shoes have) could be overkill. I can attest to this from personal experience.
(2) The best indicator is to check the wear on your sole. If it is uneven, then this could be the causing your ankle pain. Switching to a lighter, more neutral shoe may be preferred and it may also fix your over-striding problem.
(3) I solved a lot of the niggling little injuries I had by switching away from Asics Gel shoes.
(4) Your photos aren't particularly conclusive; Head-on photos are preferable when assessing the correctness of your stride.

justin.au

Here are my thoughts:

(1) Using orthotics + shoes with DuoMax support (that your current shoes have) could be overkill. I can attest to this from personal experience.
(2) The best indicator is to check the wear on your sole. If it is uneven, then this could be the causing your ankle pain. Switching to a lighter, more neutral shoe may be preferred and it may also fix your over-striding problem.
(3) I solved a lot of the niggling little injuries I had by switching away from Asics Gel shoes.
(4) Your photos aren't particularly conclusive; Head-on photos are preferable when assessing the correctness of your stride.
Thanks for the response.

So you would suggest staying away from the shoes that are supposed to be 'Motion Control' or 'Stability' aiding given that I've got proper orthotics?

I did notice on my current shoes that the inner mid-foot is more worn on my left than my right, perhaps leading to greater roll-in. I might go and see my podiatrist about it, as it could be a problem with the orthotics.

Whatever is the case, I definitely need a new pair of shoes and I'll try and get a lighter pair this time.

Doytch

Ran the Richmond Marathon as my first official marathon last weekend, finished 3:04:08. Was hoping to crack 3hr but....Boston 2013 baby!
Any recommendations for cold weather running gear?

Also, I assume my heart rate will lower once I keep running? Doing a mile in 6 minutes is killing me. I am an awful runner. I usually run at a 7:50 pace.
I just moved from Toronto to North Carolina, so I've got some experience with this. What I always did was toque, gloves, scarf, and layers! None of the stuff was 'performance' or sweat-wicking except the shirts I wore, over which I had a thin track jacket. Then I wrap a scarf around my neck, and throw a hoody on over top. Plain poly track pants (not sweat pants). This got me through the dead of winter, running in -15Cish, and when the weather was not as cold (around freezing), I'd ditch the hoody.

You could probably rock a balaclava and skip the scarf/toque, I just go low-tech mostly.

I was just thinking that I'd like to put together a little |OT| for running on GAF recently, when this guy just happened to bubble up to the top page. Guess I'll just sub up and drop in here from time to time.

I started getting really into running about half a year ago. With two kids going to the gym was just not happening and since I live kinda close to work I figured that I could replace the bus commute with a running commute. It's a 7 mile run with some really nice trail options to take, so I've really been enjoying it. Did it just two times a week at the start (would just run in, shower at work and bus back) and now I'm up to about 5-6 total trips including some days that I run both there and back. Pretty much always 30-35 miles a week now. And at a cost of just a little bit of time a day that I would have been on the bus.

The Pacific Northwest winter is what I'm having to deal with now. Rainy every day and gets dark like one hour before I run home from work, so I've had to skip the trails for the roads (yuck) on the run home. I just picked up a Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp over the weekend, will have to see if that does the trick for me. Oh, and I need new shoes as well, had a pair of Green Silences that I picked up this summer that I love the feel of, but the sidewall of them blew out already, going to see if the store I picked them up at will have some type of return policy, they should not have failed so quick.

Thanks for the response.

So you would suggest staying away from the shoes that are supposed to be 'Motion Control' or 'Stability' aiding given that I've got proper orthotics?

Not all MC shoes are bad. But they are not designed for use with orthotics. Orthotics are great for everyday walking but not so great running. When you run in orthotics you are changing the way your entire leg muscles work (because you use more muscles for running than mere walking)

My recommendation is that you ditch the orthotics for running all together. But if you are not comfortable doing this, buy a neutral shoes and take out the inner sole (if you're not doing that already).

If you're a heavier runnner (ie 85kg +) go for the first option.

The Nike Equalon 4 are great MC control shoes,

I did notice on my current shoes that the inner mid-foot is more worn on my left than my right, perhaps leading to greater roll-in. I might go and see my podiatrist about it, as it could be a problem with the orthotics.

Well, that's a big red flag there (if it's so obvious that you're noticing it.) I had a similar problems and was constantly getting shin, ankle and foot injuries. Switched to Nike Equalon 4 and haven't had any injuries for 2 years (knock on wood) and run at least 500km a year.

Check out the evenness of their wear:

photo-5.jpg

Ok, it's 2°C (36F) - the coldest weather I ever exercised in.
A hoodie, sports pants, gloves, a condom-shaped small woolen hat (we call them beanies here).
I'd wear shorts & get rid of the hat and gloves, but since I'm riding the bike before I run that's out of the question.
Wish me luck, fellow runners...lol

/edit
I ran and I survived, however I forgot the most important clothing item of all: my penis-sock! Yes, I put a sock over my penis (and balls) so that the whole area doesn't freeze. Otherwise I always feel the need to touch it..
You may laugh, but it helps me greatly so stfu :p

X26

Banned
Best thing for winter running has to be compression clothing. It's about -2C when I run in the morning and with compression pants + shorts my lower body is pretty comfortable.

alright. about to the pull the trigger on a gps watch. the 305 looks like a favorite but dag on that thing looks bulky.

price range:

preferred: $200
manageable: $250
splurge (if worth it): $300

thoughts? i'd like to stay in the garmin forerunner line unless someone has something unquestionably better.

Scottify

Hey all, I just found this thread looking for some new earbuds. I am a complete newbie when it comes to running. I just started this past summer. I'd like to join your Endomondo group and use it as good motivation.

Admittedly, I've lost a lot of momentum with the winter in CO, but I'm going to try and start up again with the new year. I've been using Couch to 5K and am only on week 3 now.

I was never a running fan until I just started going for walks then slowly started ramping up. It's amazing how much better I felt after just being able to run/walk for 40 minutes. Anyway, I'm hoping to learn from this thread and share my experiences as well.

I've also used iMapMyRun which I've found helpful.

Might as well join in these shenanigans since I run anyways. Just did 10.1 miles yesterday in an hour and a half (my normal)...I'm trying to track my progress using the my tracks app for the android phone, but I'll try to use the one in the OP as well.

psychicpsych

Neo Member
@Barkley's Justice - I would go with the Garmin 210. It's around $200 without the heart monitor and it can pass for an everyday watch, which can't be said for the 305. If you want to splurge, I suppose you can get the Garmin 610 but thats around $350. dcrainmaker.com has extensive reviews on GPS watches if you want to compare different models.

Blader

At the moment I am mildly overpronating on my left strike. I've got corrective orthotics for my flat feet, but I've also put far too many miles into my current pair of shoes (which, from the wear, I think are counter-acting the usefulness of the orthotics).

9PD2g.png

2luLs.png

3M1cN.png

Your knee looks fine to me, but it looks like you're hitting the ground with your whole foot -- i.e. completely flat. When, imo, you should be hitting it more with the front half of your foot (from the toes to about halfway down) and then hitting off from there. When your land your whole foot on the ground like that, you're putting a lot more weight onto your ankles and slowing yourself down too.

noquarter

Alright, I'm going to join the club, if that's alright.

Decided last year that I want to run a marathon. I really hate running, but have to run as I'm in the military (Navy, so no long-ass rucksack marches or anything). Something about running that long of a distance just seems surreal to me, so I want to complete one this year. Plan on doing the Honolulu Marathon in December, so have some time.

This morning was my first real run, went a little over 3 miles non-stop. Will probably do this run for the rest of the week and next week try to add a couple more miles to it.

Hope everyone is safe out there, and if you end up on Oahu, let me know, wouldn't mind running with others sometime.

Doytch

Started legit training again this week. I ran my last marathon mid-November, and sort of took it easy since then with 2-3 runs a week and skating/biking as cross-training instead.

I used the advanced Hanson plan (training for a 3hr finish) for the last race and I ran a 3:04, so I'm gonna try and train at a 2:55 pace this time. Issue is that I'll probably only have ~8 weeks training until whatever race I run. My current plan is to train 2 weeks at my old pace, then 4 weeks at the faster pace, and then the two-week taper (at new pace, natch). It's sub-optimal, obviously, but if anyone has better ideas, I'm all ears.

jacobs34

Hey Running Gaf, I have a quick question. Anyone else have to wear running shoes with extra ankle support? In the past I've just bought basketball shoes to run in because almost every pair of running shoes I've ever bought did not support my weak ankles well enough. If anyone can give me a suggestion as to a good pair I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Hey Running Gaf, I have a quick question. Anyone else have to wear running shoes with extra ankle support? In the past I've just bought basketball shoes to run in because almost every pair of running shoes I've ever bought did not support my weak ankles well enough. If anyone can give me a suggestion as to a good pair I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
I'm not sure they make higher running shoes like in basketball shoes AFAIK

What about buying a separate ankle brace? I use this one: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/ASO_Ankle_Braces/descpageASO-ASOAB.html I have a very stretched left ankle I'll be having surgery on when I can afford it, but until then this helps me during sports

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've been running 2.25 miles alright for the past couple of months. I'm going to strive for 5 miles. I hope the ramp up won't be too bad. A mile more a week or two sound doable? I assume I could do 3 miles right now, right?

Any advice for these longer runs? It's a mental thing for me. I get tired and just want to stop.

I've been running 2.25 miles alright for the past couple of months. I'm going to strive for 5 miles. I hope the ramp up won't be too bad. A mile more a week or two sound doable? I assume I could do 3 miles right now, right?

Any advice for these longer runs? It's a mental thing for me. I get tired and just want to stop.

It can be nice to do either one way runs (go from work, or take a bus and run back, or run from a friends house) or to have runs with an interesting trail / destination in mind. Having to just leave the house, try to run X distance and then end up back at the house can be pretty boring. I've become a pretty hardcore runner by running for my work commute in the mornings and sometimes in the evenings. You can't really back out when you are three miles into the woods and need to do three more to get to work at a reasonable time. Moving to trails really helped me as well (though that might not be an option for some locations) easier on the knees, no cars to avoid, pretty surroundings. I wouldn't run near as much if I had to do it on roads.

Bboy AJ

It can be nice to do either one way runs (go from work, or take a bus and run back, or run from a friends house) or to have runs with an interesting trail / destination in mind. Having to just leave the house, try to run X distance and then end up back at the house can be pretty boring. I've become a pretty hardcore runner by running for my work commute in the mornings and sometimes in the evenings. You can't really back out when you are three miles into the woods and need to do three more to get to work at a reasonable time. Moving to trails really helped me as well (though that might not be an option for some locations) easier on the knees, no cars to avoid, pretty surroundings. I wouldn't run near as much if I had to do it on roads.

I'm jealous you're able to do that. My run has been routine, leaving home and back. It's just that I increase my distance gradually. And it can get very boring. What do you guys do to zone out?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Doing P90X2 over the "off-season." I will start Couch to 5K again this spring when I don't die of hypothermia.

Seriously, those runners that are jogging in -10 degree weather are crazy. :)

Cyan

Banned
I'm jealous you're able to do that. My run has been routine, leaving home and back. It's just that I increase my distance gradually. And it can get very boring. What do you guys do to zone out?

Audiobooks ftw. When I'm listening to a good one, not only does it make the run more enjoyable, it makes me positively eager to go running!

Yeah, I do history books or podcast sometimes. Helps for putting the miles in, though I do note that my technique can get a bit sloppy if I get to engrossed in the audio.

i've got a 5k coming up in about 7 weeks. the only cardio i've been doing is just playing a lot of basketball (about 3 times a week, about 1.5-2 hours not counting the wait in between games) which kind of simulates hiit to a lesser extent.

do you guys think 5k is a distance that i need to truly train for by jogging that distance a couple times during the week? or should i keep up with the basketball and maybe add a day of hiit? right now im pretty much lifting 2x and playnig ball 3x during the week.

It's always good to try to run the distance a few times just to get a feel for how long you have to run. And it's also quite beneficial and fun to try to train to run a good time. But if you are active individual (and it sounds like you are) you shouldn't really need any specific training to run a full 5K.

If you want, some basic tactics might be to just try for negative splits, just start out easy and pick up the pace at each mile mark. Won't really net you the best time, but it will keep you from burning out too early on race day adrenaline and lets you finish with a good kick.

Row

Banned
i've got a 5k coming up in about 7 weeks. the only cardio i've been doing is just playing a lot of basketball (about 3 times a week, about 1.5-2 hours not counting the wait in between games) which kind of simulates hiit to a lesser extent.

do you guys think 5k is a distance that i need to truly train for by jogging that distance a couple times during the week? or should i keep up with the basketball and maybe add a day of hiit? right now im pretty much lifting 2x and playnig ball 3x during the week.

Definitely dedicate time to running before that. Even though 5K isn't much going into it cold without recent runs means you won't have a sense of the kind of pace you can maintain.

Welp, I decided to take advantage of the awesome weather we're having in Chicago this winter and restarted the Couch to 5K training today. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I was done, it felt amazing.

I'm considering signing up to train for the Chicago Half-Marathon via the Chicago AIDS Foundation. The training runs meet just a few blocks from my apartment, so it would be easy to get into it, but the idea of running a half-marathon freaks me out.

alright. about to the pull the trigger on a gps watch. the 305 looks like a favorite but dag on that thing looks bulky.

price range:

preferred: $200
manageable: $250
splurge (if worth it): $300

thoughts? i'd like to stay in the garmin forerunner line unless someone has something unquestionably better.
I got 405CX because the display on my old 301 died. I kept using it w/o the display by just operating it by sound.

The 405CX is fine but I miss the simple 301. The 301 had a standard USB cable to charge and exchange data. The 405CX has a wireless data exchange the uses a dongle. And it has a separate charging cable that is a non-standard clip. Backwards progress IMHO. What good is the wireless data exchange if you have to charge up wired anyway? And before I had a single popular standard cable for data/charging (lose it, no problems), now I have a dongle and a specialized cable. If I lose either one I'm fucked.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
The Endomondo group needs more love.
bump
Will try to do 5k in 25min right now.

Just started running again after taking crossfit classes at work .
Half-marathon time: 1:51
10K: 46:55
5K: 24:05
I think i will bite the bullet and do a marathon soon.

gdt

Heyyyy, this thread could be very useful for me.

I'm currently training to pass a police exam in May (the 14th-22nd, haven't gotten my specific test date yet), and I need to be able to do 1.5miles in 15:56. I can run (pushing myself to the limit) that in 17:59, probably a bit faster now (did 18:05 yesterday semi leisurely).

How can I chop those minutes off in time? Do I increase my run to 3miles (will that in turn increase my 1.5m speed)? Or keep pushing myself running 1.5 over and over (well, every other day)?

Edit: Sidenote, I'm definitely a bit overweight now, but I've been dieting and working out hardcore for about 2 months now. I locked down my diet 3 or so weeks ago and now the weight is melting off. So I expect/hope the running will get easier as I lose more and more weight.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

I'm currently training to pass a police exam in May (the 14th-22nd, haven't gotten my specific test date yet), and I need to be able to do 1.5miles in 15:56. I can run (pushing myself to the limit) that in 17:59, probably a bit faster now (did 18:05 yesterday semi leisurely).

How can I chop those minutes off in time? Do I increase my run to 3miles (will that in turn increase my 1.5m speed)? Or keep pushing myself running 1.5 over and over (well, every other day)?

Edit: Sidenote, I'm definitely a bit overweight now, but I've been dieting and working out hardcore for about 2 months now. I locked down my diet 3 or so weeks ago and now the weight is melting off. So I expect/hope the running will get easier as I lose more and more weight.

When you finish the 1.5 miles how do you feel and why do you stop? You feel like your legs can't do any more running or like your lungs burning? It will get easier if you lose your overweight, that's for sure. In your case since you need to pass an exam I recommend running 1.5 miles most of the time, if running at a stable pace doesn't work maybe try starting strong and finishing at a slower pace and vice versa to see what works best for you.

What's the best way to start to not get discouraged?

Perseverance I guess. And don't start with an impossible goal like running 10km in your first run :p

I'd do some slow three to four mile runs to build endurance and some short interval runs to develop leg strength and speed. You might want to head to a track or find a half mile length of road, and run that half mile in about 5 minutes. Rest for a minute or two the repeat twice.
You can also do some relaxed 10 second sprints to build form and strength.

Go slow and work up to doing these two workouts once a week while mixing in one or two 20 minute jogs and you'll pass without any problem. Good luck!

So I reached a sad moment in life: man boobs and a beer gut. I don't know how I let myself get to this point. I used to be incredibly active, but somehow just gradually stopped doing anything. I now find myself 25 pounds overweight, and with no energy whatsoever.

I saw this thread and it inspired me to get out there and make a better effort to get back in shape. This week I started a new diet, bought some running shoes and a Motoactiv gps/mp3 thing (Being a gadget freak, I thought that it could help keep me interested in running), and have signed up for a 5K on my birthday in 90 days.

I loaded up the couch to 5k mp3's and went for my first run this afternoon[/URL]!

It was incredibly awkward, exhausting, and I felt incredibly self conscious. Public parks should have fat people running/walking days. All of you super fit runners make us fat people feel really weird. :D

That said, I really loved it, and am looking forward to getting into the sport over the spring and summer!

A couple of questions: Why does nobody run with water? Don't you get thirsty? How do you learn how to pace yourself?

Here are the results from my attempt at interval training.. Looking back at it, I feel like I tried to run too fast and was unable to finish the last two intervals. :(

So I reached a sad moment in life: man boobs and a beer gut. I don't know how I let myself get to this point. I used to be incredibly active, but somehow just gradually stopped doing anything. I now find myself 25 pounds overweight, and with no energy whatsoever.

I saw this thread and it inspired me to get out there and make a better effort to get back in shape. This week I started a new diet, bought some running shoes and a Motoactiv gps/mp3 thing (Being a gadget freak, I thought that it could help keep me interested in running), and have signed up for a 5K on my birthday in 90 days.

I loaded up the couch to 5k mp3's and went for my first run this afternoon[/URL]!

It was incredibly awkward, exhausting, and I felt incredibly self conscious. Public parks should have fat people running/walking days. All of you super fit runners make us fat people feel really weird. :D

That said, I really loved it, and am looking forward to getting into the sport over the spring and summer!

A couple of questions: Why does nobody run with water? Don't you get thirsty? How do you learn how to pace yourself?

Here are the results from my attempt at interval training.. Looking back at it, I feel like I tried to run too fast and was unable to finish the last two intervals. :(
I'm more than 25 pounds overweight but I still run. Albeit not very fast.

You don't run with water because you generally don't run long enough to need it. Once you start running maybe 10+ miles or so at time then maybe you should think about water.

You can pace yourself just by how it feels . . . if you are not tired at all, run faster. If you are running so fast that you are out of breath, slow down. But you can get heartrate monitor watches that bitch at you if you are running faster/slower than a desired pace or heartbeat range.

ruxtpin

Banned

I think you'd be surprised. When I'm out running and pass someone slower and heavier, my thought process is that they're the folks who are willing to get up and do something about their health/weight. And that's a fact that should be applauded. While I can't offer any statistic to back up my claim, the mere fact that you've realized a need for change and are making the steps necessary to accomplish that change puts you in a very small minority. It'll get easier. The weight will start to fall off. And you'll get faster.

I went from almost 210 lbs in HS, down to 170 starting college (where it took me around 30 minutes to do 3 miles). I found a fellow runner who was at my level, we pushed each other to be better, I'm now down to 150 lbs and have seen my speed increase in leaps and bounds.

As for water. I think it comes down to experience and/or people placing water along their course. I have a little handheld bottle that I can sip from and when my local running group goes out everyone has a spot on the loop where bottles get tossed so they can get to them every 2-3 miles if need be.

Top Bottom