• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

szaromir

Banned
Who said anything about heavy integration. All we've really seen at this point is the tech demo'd in completely mechanical way. They haven't showed us a game with it yet, they basically breezed over Kinect Rivals. The tech does look impressive, but there has been nothing really demo'd using it yet.
You're making a good point. Still, I'm quite intersted if they can make anything useful with it, and would love to see some good fitness app for it.

Personally I don't mind Kinect at all, if they find a good way to enhance 1st party with it it could really help differentiate the platform and give a reason to buy it.

Satchel

Banned
No, it demonstrated that the people who bought the Wii don´t care about graphics.
Those people are not the same people that usually buy consoles. And that makes this observation completely worthless for future console sales predictions.

This is one of the most ignorant posts I've seen in a long time.

You know a LARGE chunk of GAFfers own a Wii right?

Zeth

Man the console warriors are having a field day and yet the completely stumble and contradict themselves at every turn.

Xbox One games were running on PCs that are twice as powerful as actual hardware.
Xbox One games were ugly and didn't look as impressive as PS4 games.

Xbox One games are 6 months behind and the PS4 architecture is much simpler.
The reason the PS4 games don't look much improved is because you'll won't see these differences at launch.

PC graphics cards don't translate to specialized console graphics cards.
Let's compare a PC graphics card equivalent for PS4 to a PC graphics card equivalent to Xbox One.

Forza is half baked and not impressive.
Forza was only impressive because it was running on a laptop.

Digital Foundry will sort this out in the end and it'll be amusing to see how much better PS4 games are than Xbox One games.
The article Digital Foundry wrote on Xbox One games being consistenly polished and focusing on 1080p/60FPS while many PS4 games being sub-1080 or 30FPS is too early. We can't judge these games yet.

Lol @ Xbox One developers using PC devkits, sure seems like Xbox One kits aren't finalized.
You can't fully judge PS4 games because the devkits aren't final and are running on only 4GB Ram.

It's like nobody can get their messaging right about how and why they want to attack the Xbox One.

I mean seriously, BOTH system are using non-finalized hardware, and in the case of devs using PC hardware, you'd be a fool to not realize that the devs would obviously be using architecture that mimicked the finalized hardware for each console.

As for direct comparisons, Forza 5 is certainly more polished than DriveClub and certainly more impressive. Killzone looks pretty but Battlefield 4 looked just as impressive on the Xbox One. Infamous looked great but that's not at launch, just like Quantum Break. MGSV looked incredible and that was on Xbox One. Just like Watch Dogs on PS4.

At this point, both systems have incredible games and the games that are struggling still have time to be polished and optimized for final hardware.

Just quit the hyperbolic conjecture using backwards and hypocritical logic. Come launch time, you can have a jolly ol' time with Digital Foundry comparisons.

Post of the forever. Shame no one acknowledges it :lol

Vash63

The best your going to get on consoles is FXAA and maybe SMAA. FXAA blurs the image like crazy, and SMAA implementation is still quite new and so far the only engine that does it is Cryengine.

Actual deferred MSAA is very taxing and even brings a GTX 680 into the 30fps range at 1080p.

...in what situation? I have a GTX 680 and even with actual 8xMSAA it takes Bioshock Infinite at 2560x1600 or higher to get anywhere near 30FPS (note: this is higher than 1080p). Battlefield 3 runs like a dream in 1080p with both FXAA and 4xMSAA.

Too bad for you Microsoft.

You just lost Next Gen.

They're not going to win or lose next gen based on their console being slightly less powerful than their closest rival. I think they stand a good chance now that they've reverted on all those policies, as all those millions of people who would have said "fuck you" and bought a PS4 instead will now probably just stick with Xbox.

Justmarbz

Neo Member
what a poor choice of words when you're trying to sell new hardware, which historically has always been about "What graphical improvements will I get for my money?!"

because honestly, that's what matters in the first two years of a consoles life cycle, where is the improvement and where is the hint at what we could expect in the future of the console.

Improvement can be accomolished in more than just gfx. I do however wish MS went with better specs.

Kunan

~~~Stop being so intellectually dishonest. The PS2 was a monster when it came out. That power mattered.~~~
Yup. As you said... a lot of PS2 talk tend to forget that its swift victory began with being marketed as absolutely demolishing the recently-released Dreamcast, everything else on the market, and being part of a scifi future. In retrospect it wasn't the most powerful of the generation... but it defined the generation, and blew up on the market, before more powerful competitors arrived. All on the back of a marketing blitz surrounding its power and a price people were shocked to see get hit again.

EDIT: Oh dear I seem to have made my way to the wrong thread. Forgive me.

That Kutaragi spoke about the PS2 as having "Toy Story like graphics" and that players would "jack into the matrix"

Haha. This reminds me of the 16 interconnected PS2s that were supposedly able to output visuals that rivaled those of The Matrix at 1080p@60fps (instead of a frame/hour as "conventional" computers did)!!

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.05/gs3.html

May 2001

The GScube - named after the PS2's Graphics Synthesizer chip - is basically a parallel array of 16 beefed-up PlayStations. The 16 GS chips, stocked with several times the standard memory arsenal, are split into four graphics-processing blocks. Four more processors merge the graphics output from the four GPUs and send their output to a final merger chip that cranks out an HDTV-ready 1,920 x 1,080 pixels, 16 times the resolution of today's PS2. A standard PlayStation controller plugged into an SGI or Vaio server running Linux controls the whole setup. But it's the server that runs the game program, farming out image and audio data to the individual processing units inside the cube for rendering. (Future consumer consoles based on the concept would compress both cube and server into a single set-top unit.)

For a kluge, the GScube looks pretty slick. The 106-pound box is designed to fit a standard 19-inch rack, and sports a row of 21 LEDs along its top - one wired to each of the 16 GS processors plus the five merger chips. These glow a soothing blue at idle; during gameplay, they dance up and down the color spectrum, according to the load being handled by the corresponding chip. When a light turns white, it means a processor is about to max out.

Game programmers willing to learn the ropes of GScube hacking are rewarded with an awesome flexibility. The multiple processors give coders the option of dividing up their games' workloads in different ways. For example, a single frame of video could be divided into four sections, each sent to a separate GS chip for rendering. A second group of four processors could begin work on the frame behind it, while yet another starts on a third frame. This approach, called triple buffering, smooths transitions between frames to produce more realistic motion, and still leaves four processors for sound - 16 better-than-CD-quality channels of it.

For the Siggraph debut, the high-end computer animation shops Manex Visual Effects and Softimage built a triple-buffered game demo that rivaled Manex's breathtaking work for The Matrix. F/x like this once took an hour per frame to render, but the GScube does it on the fly, delivering 60 frames per second to an HDTV screen. With a top speed of more than a billion polygons per second, GScube has the power to create photo-realistic footage that's indistinguishable from live video.

If that's not cool enough, imagine a cube of GScubes.

Sony is already ramping up from 16 to 64 GS chips. And the PS3 will be made even more powerful, possibly by merging the parallel GS processors onto a superchip. (Sony has contracted the job to IBM.) But until the chip is built, the 16-processor GScube is enough to get at least some coders excited about sticking with Sony.

"The GScube worked great," says Softimage programmer Alexandre Jean Claude. "And access to 64 processors will make software design very interesting."

:lol

Ishida

Banned
Haha. This reminds me of the 16 interconnected PS2s that were supposedly able to output visuals that rivaled those of The Matrix at 1080p@60fps (instead of a frame/hour as "conventional" computers did)!!

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.05/gs3.html

May 2001

:lol

And let's not forget that the original XBox could "display visual quality on par with Toy Story."

"One of the basic premises of the Xbox is to put the power in the hands of the artist," Blackley said, which is why Xbox developers "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'"

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-250632.html

djshauny

Banned
Eye+laws+du....ohh+you+_d23a699d99b4bc667fefd00ddc54fd1c.jpg
I'm not so sure about that. Have you seen Titanfall?

Wasn't the military buying PS3's for a supercomputer type deal?
Yes it was the Air Force and NASA since it was cheaper to buy PS3 for its cell processor then to buy the chips in bulk... Of course it might not be the same currently as those chipsets have reduced significantly in cost

There was a documentary from one of these threads that showed fat ps3's in a NASA research lab with their brand logo covered by duck tape I'm not sure what it was called though ( the documentary title)

Nutter

They really brought this on themselves.

They really should have targeted a better machine. Hell even a base 1.6 TF machine would not have yielded this type of backlash.

nib95

Banned
Lol, so funny seeing this pop up after everything that's been going on lately. Microsoft just can't stop with the 180's can they?

Applecot

Of course they didn't purposefully target highest end or they would've gone with 4x Titans in their console and it'd be a PC.

They did accidentally end up being significantly lower specced than the PS4 though.

Top Bottom