• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Found Out My Friend is a Flat Earther Today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Dude has got access to the internet and actually manages to be dumber than some pre-Jesus Christ civilizations.

I'd honestly just off myself.

How can anyone not believe in gravity? What's the mental process that leads a person to reach that conclusion? It's like not believing in water, or the sun. So how come we're not flying around? Magnets? Invisible strings? It's Donquixote Doflamingo secretly controlling the world?

Desperate need to feel special and unique makes the guy subconsciously leak brain matter from his ears for the thrill of being one of the few who are actually not sheeple.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
How come Earth is the only supposedly flat planet anyway? These people ever seen like, the other planets through a telescope?

Also you can see other planets through a telescope but you can't see the other end of a supposedly flat earth with one? I should be able to take a telescope and look from London or New York to Sydney, right? The Burj Khalifa should be poking up towards the sky somewhere too, but I bet people in California won't be able to see it.

soqquatto

I honestly don't see how someone describing themselves as a flat earther is any more crazy than someone describing themselves as a (insert random religion here)

If those groups don't bother u then flat earthers shouldn't neither

just my 2 cents

there's a huge difference between being religious and being a flat earther. for startes, religion is not totally incompatible with the entire body of science: not all religious people are completely closed to the contemporary world. a flat earther instead believes in a theory that ultimately denies the entire scientific reasoning: a flat earther does not believe in simple mathematics, undermining more or less everything else.

McLovin

The sad thing is we're just starting to figure out holograms now. We can barely make one dude on stage and it looks cg. But flat earthers have no problem believing we are projecting all these round planets into space.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The sad thing is we're just starting to figure out holograms now. We can barely make one dude on stage and it looks cg. But flat earthers have no problem believing we are projecting all these round planets into space.

That's actually just a 155yo magic trick. And if Tupac looked CGI, then it was because they were projecting CGI.
A recent example of the same thing without CGI characters can be found at Universal at the beginning of Fast & The Furious on the studio tour.
The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland is packed with examples.

watching that jre podcast snippet where eddie bravo talks about flat earth is just ridiculous! No matter what they threw at him he would answer with "where did you read that information?" followed by "bought and paid for by the govt" haha. Constantly saying go and look into it all, but not on peer reviewed journals or scientific websites cause they're all fake. And then all his sources were from flat earth websites.

My fave though as to why, "it's easier to control people on a ball" rofl

patapuf

I honestly don't see how someone describing themselves as a flat earther is any more crazy than someone describing themselves as a (insert random religion here)

just my 2 cents

Most religious people i've met are completely cool with science and the earth being round. And gravity existing. Most even agree that the Bible is figurative and not literal.

aka, they are reasonable people, who just believe in a higher power.

Falt earthers are right there with creationsits and other extremists who can't deal with reality.

Piggus

just my 2 cents

Believing in some sort of god or higher power (which cannot be proven or disproven, hence why many scientists are agnostic rather than atheist) is not the same as refusing to believe established fact that you can observe by looking out a window.

Anteater

people believe in stupid things, just the matter of how silly it is, you can make a case out of everything, I live in a region where people are incredibly superstitious, as long as it cause no harm, I'd just ignore it

Kyzer

Banned
Problem is it isn't just a flat vs round technicality. Being a flat earther means the last 500 years is a hoax, it's like the last stop on the conspiracy wagon. You have to believe everything is fake/hoaxed. That satellites are fake, the ISS, flight paths of airplanes fake, moon landings fake,

believing in something that cannot be disproven is different than believing everything we know is a lie

Every time I hear the flat earth stuff, is from america, and I dont understand why. For example, where I live, even religious nutjobs that dont think evolution is real, etc... still know earth is a a sphere that circles around the sun.

Mohonky

Every time I hear the flat earth stuff, is from america, and I dont understand why. For example, where I live, even religious nutjobs that dont think evolution is real, etc... still know earth is a a sphere that circles around the sun.

I saw a Muslim scholar on tv discussing flat Earth on youtube. His proof was the Koran and I believe he was from Saudi Arabia.

So no, its not just Americans.

But yeh

Polk

Most religious people i've met are completely cool with science and the earth being round. And gravity existing. Most even agree that the Bible is figurative and not literal.
Most Christians I know treat Bible as allegories. Sure it's word of God but as primitive people would understand it.

Nephtis

He brings up the fact that there was a cat he ran into that looked like me and that his "energy" was similar to mine. This energy was calming to him since it reminded him of me.

I'm not entirely sure which is weirder/funnier -- that your friend believes the earth is flat or the quote above. I mean, that would've been the first red flag for me. Anyway, as long as you two get along o wouldn't worry too much about it. Best you can do is try to convince him via conversation, but not much more than that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
People who ACTUALLY believe this (I have to believe most are simply trolling) are either really stupid or incredibly ignorant. Unlike some other conspiracies, there is no way to turn this into anything even remotely rational.

He doesn't believe in gravity is the best part haha

If you believe in a flat Earth you have to also reject gravity. The theory doesn't work if gravity exists. So they come up with the idea that the Earth is constantly accelerating upwards at 1G. Which means it has to keep going faster and faster (acceleration happens only when the speed is increasing), and that everything else in the solar system (universe?) has to be doing the same. It's utterly bonkers.

believing in something that cannot be disproven is different than believing everything we know is a lie

Sorry you're going to have to elaborate. You're saying round earth can't be proven?

Believing in flat earth means you have to believe in other things are faked. It's not just a technicality, it comes with more than that.

Blobbers

sad that so many young people today believe in a flat or spherical Earth when the truth is our planet is hollow and all the stars we see are night lights in China

just my 2 cents

For one I have actually had debates with religious people on a metaphysical level. It may blow your mind but there are people who manage to believe in god while also obeying scientific theory.

A flat-earther is someone who outright denies scientific evidence that's been accepted for a very long time..

Every time I hear the flat earth stuff, is from america, and I dont understand why. .

Flat Earth Society began in the UK.

Edit: Actually looking into it, a lot of the modern flat-earthers began in the UK.

Doc_Drop

Sorry you're going to have to elaborate. You're saying round earth can't be proven?

Believing in flat earth means you have to believe in other things are faked. It's not just a technicality, it comes with more than that.
Other way round. Religion can't be disproven and everyone knows flat earth is bs.

pastrami

The most surprising thing about this thread is that there are people willing to "agree to disagree" about basic science. As if science is a matter of opinion. No wonder we needed a march for science.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
When i walk down my street for a mile its flat. There is no curve. How can the earth be round?

You're only looking at 1/25,000th of the curvature.

Believing in some sort of god or higher power (which cannot be proven or disproven, hence why many scientists are agnostic rather than atheist) is not the same as refusing to believe established fact that you can observe by looking out a window.

Okay, as an aside, I just need to nip this before it continues to get out of hand. Atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive. Gnosticism deals with knowledge, theism deals with belief, with knowledge being a subset of belief.

There can be gnostic atheists and agnostic theists. I am an agnostic atheist. I do not believe in a god, which makes me an atheist, but I also profess no knowledge about the nonexistence of a god, which makes me an agnostic.

These "many scientists" you're referring to are describing themselves as agnostic because they are making a statement about their level of knowledge. If they do not believe in a god, they are atheists.

Nothing pisses me off more than theists who insist that being an atheist means you espouse a hard "no god exists" policy. These are not mutually exclusive terms, so let's stop acting like they are to lend credence to silly logical fallacies like "many scientists are agnostic, so therefore they aren't atheists".

You don't know what these words mean.

Coast to Coast AM has had some excellent segments that cover topics such as flat earth theory, hollow earth theory, etc. I've found the hollow earth pieces to be exceptional.

Also, for those who are interested, they just had a great segment on the hollow moon theory. Summary below:

Probes make the moon "ring like a bell"?! How thick is the moon? What's it made from? Who put it there - aliens?

I've seen this car driving around my city for awhile that has this stuff all over it. "Flat Earth" on one windshield. "The Earth is flat!" on another. My favorite is one that just says, "Look it up". Even has some goofy flat Earth model on the roof. I thought it was some dumb joke. It was awhile before I found out there's actually a legion of people who believe this nonsense.

I wonder if people are becoming more stupid as decades pass by.

I don't know why do people get mad and upset if someone is a flat earth believer. I am one myself because of what I see with my own eyes.

Because it's provably false, ignores millennia of scientific evidence and points to the biggest conspiracy in the history of mankind?!

I am not the one to say that they are lying to us but what I believe is different from what they say in this aspect.

So you don't think they're lying, but you think they're saying something which is untrue for some reason? You realise those are the same thing, right?!

Please please please say you're joking.

Please.

If you aren't than s have several major landmarks and a bridge in London to sell you.

Speaking of which, you can actually see those landmarks from that bridge in London as there is no curvature to the planet! I went up on the London Eye a few weeks ago and I was looking at the Eiffel Tower through a pair of binoculars, because this is totally true and not based on nonsense bullshit!

🤔 I never said I was better than them. Like I said, it's my own observation, I don't have to agree with everything scientist say or state 100% of the time because they have proven themselves to be wrong on occasions.

So you don't believe anything unless you directly observe it? And you don't believe anyone who has been "wrong on occasion", which is literally everyone on the planet?

Other way round. Religion can't be disproven and everyone knows flat earth is bs.

I never brought up religion. I said flat earth belief comes with more than flat or round earth technicality. It also means you think Nasa, ESA, moon landings are fake, and a whole lot more like flight paths, satellites, the ISS. Too much to list here.

I quoted someone saying their partner believes in a flat earth.

The guy I'm seeing brought this up to me a while back, and for the first two days I was shocked, pissed, confused, and sad that someone you care about so much could believe something so stupid.

But if I'm being honest, its not a big deal to me anymore. He doesn't bring it up, and anytime I remember he thinks the Earth is flat I just laugh at him in my head because I know he's wrong and I'm right and its funny.

Sorry this happened to you OP :(

When i walk down my street for a mile its flat. There is no curve. How can the earth be round?

RmHjMZQ.jpg

TheContact

Step 1) get a small hot air balloon capable of going above the stratosphere
Step 2) tie a camera on it with a live feed on the ground
Step 3) see that the earth is round

Or you can just have him watch the myriad of YouTube videos of space walks or other people doing he above. I say do it himself because flat earthers say those are government conspiracies

🤔 I never said I was better than them. Like I said, it's my own observation, I don't have to agree with everything scientist say or state 100% of the time because they have proven themselves to be wrong on occasions.

If you're going to think the Earth is flat just give up. Science is not for you. There's no excuse for this ignorance.

Alanood

ok I'm familiar with flat-earthers' logic and met some of them, but gravity deniers?
do they even know what does the word 'gravity' mean? or it's just they really think we're floating?

Arkeband

Banned

We've known the earth is round for 2300+ years dawg.

King_Moc

Banned
ok I'm familiar with flat-earthers' logic and met some of them, but gravity deniers?
do they even know what does the word 'gravity' mean? or do the really think we're floating?

They think the universe is moving upwards at such a speed that it would create exactly 1G in downwards momentum for everyone.

As if that is somehow more plausible than the existing theories we have.

I am not being sarcastic or any of that non sense. I am being real with my observations and I am a firm believer that the Earth is flat. For me to believe otherwise I would have to go out in space and see it for myself with my own eyes.

I wonder what they call this line of thinking in mental health. It's such a strange obviously wrong position and the insane arrogance to hold it is lost on the person making the claims.

How do you know your smartphone is actually working? unless you discover a way to observe data moving on the inside. You see, your ridiculous skepticism has an end point. You're willing to make concessions when it suits you.

Yeoman

The most surprising thing about this thread is that there are people willing to "agree to disagree" about basic science. As if science is a matter of opinion. No wonder we needed a march for science.
This is only going to get worse as the years go on.
Conspiracy theories, distrust of the "mainstream media", and a general rejection of facts that don't fit one's agenda.
The Internet is fueling this style of thinking by connecting like-minded people.

Impulsor

Wow. I .. I just... I'm at a loss for words. It takes some serious auto convincing to even begin to think about the earth being flat. It's stupid to even consider the possibility at this day and age.

mr_lakitu

Neo Member
Does it matter? I'd love to have a friend with a crazy difference of opinion. Is knowing the earth is round your entire relationship and now the friendship must not continue. Are you atheist and block out all friends remotely convinced in a higher power or vicer versa?

Has he posted a thread that you're a round earther and now he mustn't talk to you anymore? Mock his opionion and debate sure, but it seems a little fickle to dump a friendship over one difference of opionion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom