• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halley Gross (Westworld) is the co-writer of The Last of Us Part II

PlayerOne

Banned
Druckmann and Straley did not create a better Uncharted game in UC4. The only good arc in it was Elena's and Nate's. Everything else - villain, story and plot, the treasure, Sam, flashbacks, backstory, etc were all meh.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Druckmann and Straley did not create a better Uncharted game in UC4. The only good arc in it was Elena's and Nate's. Everything else - villain, story and plot, the treasure, Sam, flashbacks, backstory, etc were all meh.

Ok?

What are you trying to say here?

Burt

Well, Westworld is the most boring TV show I've ever seen, by a wide margin, so this is not good news.

peter-abernathy-westworld.gif

With Bruce not being involved in this, I'm more interested in the people taking up the Lead Game Designer and Game Director roles. Story was never a concern with ND as they have been the best in the industry since last gen.

Since pre production seemingly started back in 2014, I would say September 2018 at the earliest would be a good bet.

Neil may be directing it. And i'm not sure if she's the sole lead game designer (ND sometimes has two people collaborating on that role), but Emilia Schatz is one of them. She was a game designer on U3, TLoU, LB and became a lead designer for U4. Most notably she designed Chapter 13 (Marooned) in U4. The one demoed at PSX 2014.

Endo Punk

That's cool, haven't seen Westworld but pleased to see Niel directing and having a partner to bounce his ideas off of. Straley taking a year off is great too, I'm sure he will be cooking ideas for a brand new ip which also excites me.

I have to say I'm shocked Niel went from TlOU to UC4 to TLOU2. Did the dude experience no burn out? The turn around for working straight into or simultaneously working on UC4 and TLOU2, just wow, is the dude even human? Definitely one of the best directors in the biz.

That's cool, haven't seen Westworld but pleased to see Niel directing and having a partner to bounce his ideas off of. Straley taking a year off is great too, I'm sure he will be cooking ideas for a brand new ip which also excites me.

I have to say I'm shocked Niel went from TlOU to UC4 to TLOU2. Did the dude experience no burn out? The turn around for working straight into or simultaneously working on UC4 and TLOU2, just wow, is the dude even human? Definitely one of the best directors in the biz.

To me, it always felt to me that Neil was really, really hungry at wanting to make the Ellie sequel game.

Even though he never planned for it at first, the amazing fan response to the character and the franchise, I imagine must have been exhilarating and everytime he gets a whiff of an opportunity to tweet about TLoU, he keeps talking about how he misses those characters. Hell, he was writing script for the TLoU at night while working on UC4.

As a fan seeing him from the outside, I could sense that part of the reason TLoU Part II was unveiled this early is because he wants to be able to share that this was their next project and be able to openly fuel and expose his passion on this project.

strafer

This is certainly good news since I gave the show a second chance. Thought it was boring as fuck as first but then one day when I was home with the flu I decided to give it another go and what do you know.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think TV writers write individual episodes. They write them as a group and then credit is distributed throughout the season.

Every writers room is different (especially on premium cable) but usually the staff gathers in the "room" and lays out the episode beat by beat as a group. Then a staff writer is given the assignment to actually turn that layout into the actual script. Finally the show runner gives that a final rewrite to ensure that it maintains a consistent voice.

That final rewrite can vary widely depending on the showrunner. Some will do a complete page 1 rewrite but still credit the episode to a staff writer. Others may just do a tweak here or there.

It's interesting that, in Westworld's case, Gross has the most writing credits outside of the show runners.

CHC

We'll see about this. Some of the writing in Westworld is really schlocky, network TV level crap. Pretty much all of the scenes featuring the staff interacting with each other falls in this category. But who knows if Gross is involved with those parts, or what else affected them. The ambition is there, certainly.

Definitely a way overrated show, but I will concede that it's writing is still miles ahead of most videogames.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
We'll see about this. Some of the writing in Westworld is really schlocky, network TV level crap. Pretty much all of the scenes featuring the staff interacting with each other falls in this category. But who knows if Gross is involved with those parts, or what else affected them. The ambition is there, certainly.

Definitely a way overrated show, but I will concede that it's writing is still miles ahead of most videogames.

I mean she wrote one of the best episodes of the season (episode 7).

Micael

So Joel is actually dead, and when he shows up in the trailer its actually Ellie having a conversation with herself about going ahead and killing them all to avenge Joel death, cool.
Oh yeah btw spoilers.

Top Bottom