• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEEP Review Thread

Oneself

Definitely a "meh" game. Scores are representative of what I played in the beta.
Snowboard/Ski games need a "back to basic" approach next. Screw the parachutes, stories, always online and other stupid shit seen in games like this one and the latest SSX. Cut the crap, Dirt Rally style. Get the physics and snow right, give us huge mountains, a freeride mode and let us compete in races and time trials à la SSX3.

Freeman76

Also found this on their website:

We’ve Heard Your Feedback!

06/12/2016 10:00 AM

From the Steep Closed Alpha to the Open Beta, we’ve received tons of comments and feedback from players and we really appreciate it!

We strongly value players’ feedback and maintaining Steep as a community-driven game is a central part of the team’s DNA. So, here are some of the things you’ve been asking for and what we did to improve the Steep experience for you.

You asked for: Improved Paragliding Experience
In a nutshell: You wanted paragliding to be more exciting and the controls to be more responsive.
What we changed: We worked hard to improve the paraglide controls and camera in order to enhance the full experience and add some more thrill to the feeling of flying. We increased the responsiveness of the inputs and reduced inertia in order to bring you more thrilling moments as you slalom through forests and canyons.

You asked for: More Replay/Capturing Options
In a nutshell: You wanted to be able to turn the HUD on/off when capturing a screenshot or video.
What we changed: Brush up on your cinematic skills! You now have the option to remove the HUD when replaying your ride. Press TOUCHPAD/VIEW BUTTON/F11 to hide the HUD.

You asked for: Iconic Tricks
In a nutshell: You’d like to be able to perform iconic tricks, like a Cork, a Rodeo, a Japan…
What we changed: If freestyling’s your thing, you can now perform these iconic tricks in Steep! Tricks will now be labeled and displayed on screen every time you do one. Take a look at our “behind the scenes” video, Made in the Alps #2, about designing the tricks system, as well as our video tutorials (for console or PC) to learn more about how to perform amazing tricks!

You asked for: More Sports/Activities
In a nutshell: Snowmobiles and sledding would make for some fun additions to the game.
What we changed: While snowmobiles are not currently on the horizon, sledding, rocket wingsuit, base jumping and speed riding are all on their way! You can find out more about these “coming soon” additions to Steep (DLC content) in our Season Pass Trailer!

fail.gif

lol, came for this

Ambient80

I watched some streamers who had early access play this game and it looked absolutely hysterical. The races and such were fun and the sense of speed is pretty great. Then there's some just goofy/hilarious things you can do that had me lmao, like faceplanting with the wingsuit and such. Also the impact of the character when they crash can be... ouch. lol

Definitely something I'm looking to pick up!

Has there been any AAA from one of the big publishers that the press has given zero fucks about like Steep? even games that did badly battleborn got more reviews than this.

It was weird that this ended Ubisoft's press conference at E3. Even that it was unannounced prior, I feel like Watch Dogs 2 would have been better. This being their final announcement on their 30th anniversary as well made it especially weird.

UrbanRats

After playing the BETA i was shocked to learn the game was about to come out.
It needed at least another year of refinements, in my opinion.

ManeKast

Well I love it but must agree with most of the scores. With a few patches and the dlc I can see this blossoming into an awesome package. But as it stands it's too expensive for what it is and always forced online is a kicker.

I'm having more fun with it than most games I played this year, even though those games probly got 9/10 everywhere. As it is now I'd give it 7/10 even though I love it.

Kudos for it NOT being like SSX. This games more for people who can tap into the idea of epic runs and lines and stylish sim-esque tricks.

It's a beautiful game that I think will be a good buy at a later date. Anyway, back to the slopes for me.....

This is garbage and will probably ruin the chances of getting a good Snowboard/Ski game for a while.

Which makes me hate it even more.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I had a lot of fun with the beta, but even in that short time I started to wonder how long it would be able hold my interest. It's just a lot of the same, and a bunch of the events are stuff I never want to do again. Still want to play the full game, but not at full price. Feels like it'll drop in price pretty quickly given the apparent lack of interest.

Elandyll

Banned
Really enjoyed the Beta as a chilled/ do what you want kindof thing.

But, as said previously, not at full price though. So I'll wait for a sale on either PS4 or PC.

Well I love it but must agree with most of the scores. With a few patches and the dlc I can see this blossoming into an awesome package. But as it stands it's too expensive for what it is and always forced online is a kicker.

Ugh; I didn't know it was always online. Why do Ubisoft do this?! For fuck's sake.

Jeuxvideo are like Famitsu and Game Informer in that they overscore everything, so a 6.5/10 from them is probably more like a 4/10 from most other publications.

inki

This is garbage and will probably ruin the chances of getting a good Snowboard/Ski game for a while.

Which makes me hate it even more.

You're entitled to your opinion. However you don't present any type of argument to support your statements, which makes it hyperbole.

The game is a solid 7/10. It's a GOOD game. If you want to snowboard/ski down mountains with friends, make you're own "line" challenges or just chill and explore. You will more than likely like this game. It is NOT a trick fest, however other than having no grinds available I feel it's very fleshed out with grabs, tweaks, flips, etc. No it's nothing new or ground breaking, yes it has its very minor annoyances but as a whole I'm really enjoying my time with the game. (I honestly don't understand all the reviewers saying the trick system is difficult, I find it VERY easy and somewhat similar to SKATE).

Remember that last level "Untracked" in the original SSX? This game is basically that blown up with additional sports and HELLA locations to do stuff in. As in, you can traverse down all the area/mountains you can see in the distance (to a point obviously).

Par Score

You're entitled to your opinion. However you don't present any type of argument to support your statements, which makes it hyperbole.

The game is a solid 7/10. It's a GOOD game. If you want to snowboard/ski down mountains with friends, make you're own "line" challenges or just chill and explore. You will more than likely like this game. It is NOT a trick fest, however other than having no grinds available I feel it's very fleshed out with grabs, tweaks, flips, etc. No it's nothing new or ground breaking, yes it has its very minor annoyances but as a whole I'm really enjoying my time with the game. (I honestly don't understand all the reviewers saying the trick system is difficult, I find it VERY easy and somewhat similar to SKATE).

Remember that last level "Untracked" in the original SSX? This game is basically that blown up with additional sports and HELLA locations to do stuff in. As in, you can down down all the area/mountains you can see in the distance (to a point obviously).

Accusing someone else of hyperbole then comparing this suck-fest to skate. or even daring to mention SSX?

The very first skate. demo was more fun and had a better feel than the Alpha and Beta of this combined. SSX has more entertainment in its metaphorical little finger than this game can muster over however many miles of mountain. Nothing about this game feels like SSX.

From my time in the Alpha and Beta, StEEP felt semi-competent and somewhat technically impressive. It can look beautiful, and the snow physics can be impressive, but too often the game feels lacking.

Lacking in a sense of speed when bombing downhill on skis, lacking the thrill you should feel when wingsuiting inches from a cliff face, lacking in the majesty and wonder you should get when paragliding over snow filled valleys, lacking in the excitement of pulling sick tricks on a snowboard. Lacking any soul. Lacking any vibe. Lacking any style.

StEEP was my most anticipated game from E3, and everything about it feels incredibly disappointing.

klier

It's a great game guys.

If you're into skiing/snowboarding, and like just to explore, ride and chill with friends....I's say it's amazing, and the best Ubi game I have played in a long, long time.

The always online part sucks though. Had connection problems two times already, and when that happens you simply can't play.

Man, there really needs to be a good version of this genre for this generation.

I loved playing winter sports games years ago, and Steep was an opportunity for them to come back. This game is going to have horrible sales.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man, there really needs to be a good version of this genre for this generation.

I loved playing winter sports games years ago, and Steep was an opportunity for them to come back. This game is going to have horrible sales.

Yeah. I wish someone would take this and blend it with SSX3/Tricky and just make the best shit ever

I only paid 32$ for this and am enjoying this. Plus I think they're adding Alaska in for free in the future of I'm not mistaken. I'd rate it a 7 - 7.5 it's pretty much like snowboarding version of skate 1. Missing some key things but still really enjoyable .

Mabufu

Banned
Accusing someone else of hyperbole then comparing this suck-fest to skate. or even daring to mention SSX?

The very first skate. demo was more fun and had a better feel than the Alpha and Beta of this combined. SSX has more entertainment in its metaphorical little finger than this game can muster over however many miles of mountain. Nothing about this game feels like SSX.

From my time in the Alpha and Beta, StEEP felt semi-competent and somewhat technically impressive. It can look beautiful, and the snow physics can be impressive, but too often the game feels lacking.

Lacking in a sense of speed when bombing downhill on skis, lacking the thrill you should feel when wingsuiting inches from a cliff face, lacking in the majesty and wonder you should get when paragliding over snow filled valleys, lacking in the excitement of pulling sick tricks on a snowboard. Lacking any soul. Lacking any vibe. Lacking any style.

StEEP was my most anticipated game from E3, and everything about it feels incredibly disappointing.

I really agree with this.

klier

LOL at the rose tinted SXX glasses.

rolls_eyes

jem0208

Accusing someone else of hyperbole then comparing this
All of this is completely wrong.

Lacking in a sense of speed ? What the hell are you talking about? If you actually start going fast the game is insane.

I feel like the people complaining about the sense of speed expect you to be going 80mph after going down 5m of slope.

I just got this game on PS4 and Snow which is free to play on Steam. It's interesting to find 2 open-world ski games in a week.

My initial thoughts on STEEP:

- The framerate is just ok with drops here and there. Good thing I play this game on my X800D with Interpolation set to on so it feels like 60 fps. Still, performance issues in Steep and The Last Guardian have convinced me to get a PS4 Pro soon.

- I love the feeling of going downhill in this game. It is very addicting.

- The world is huge and beautiful. There are lots of peeks to explore.

- The sound effects, ambient sound and music are great.

- We Ski and Snowboard on Wii had a better world where you feel like you're skiing in a virtual ski resort with lots of NPC's. I have yet to see a chopper, a cable car and haven't heard of any announcers in the park. Steep feels like a disjointed experience compared to We Ski. More disappointing is the fact that Steep doesn't have split screen. How can an old game running on an inferior console like the Wii had 4-player coop while this game on PS4 doesn't? Finally, "skiing" using a controller isn't as fun and immersive as playing with the Wiimote and nunchuck plus balance board.

- It feels like a vanilla Flight Simulator X. I hope the developers (and even 3rd parties though add-ons) keep on adding features to this game and bring it to its full potential like what Microsoft has done to FSX. Ubisoft has a jewel in their hands here. It is a very, very promising title.

As a big fan of games with great control and with no real objectives, I am very pleased with Steep.

9 out of 10.

Freeman76

Sorry I havent updated the OP with new scores I didnt think there was much interest.

I bought this on Friday and I think it is quite possibly my favourite boarding game since 1080. It has a great sense of realism, awesome sense of speed and nailing tricks while bombing down a dodgy bit of terrain is nailbiting. Took me a couple of hours to geasp the controls but I can now perform pretty much what i want when i want, apart from specific spins like a 720 or 1080 rather than just spinning til i land.

I found it really useful watching the top replays, some of the freeruns are insane. I rate this 9/10 easily

ManeKast

Recommended - Eurogamer

Basically what this amounts to is, if you were a fan of the very original SSX final mountain "Untracked", then you'll enjoy this game a lot. :)

The only review we need.

This review reflects exactly how I feel about this game and I respect Eurogamer more than most publications. Great review. Great game.

I've blow peoples minds bringing my pro and this game to their houses.

farisr

Basically what this amounts to is, if you were a fan of the very original SSX final mountain "Untracked", then you'll enjoy this game a lot. :)
This is like saying if you were a fan of Project Gotham Racing, you'll enjoy Gran Turismo because it has city tracks.

While there will be people who enjoy both arcade and sim racers and prefer city tracks in both of them and like both PGR and GT, it doesn't mean that most of them will. There will be a good number of people who love PGR who absolutely dislike games like GT.

Same goes for this. SSX comparisons should really not be made due to the vastly different styles of gameplay and experiences they provide.

As someone who has been wanting to play a snowboarding/ski type of game has anyone played the PC version ?

I tried Snow a little while back and feel like I should wait till it's officially released before giving it another shot

mike6467

Oh man, I saw the writing on the wall with the beta impressions, but really hoped this would turn out better. Really hoping they'll tighten things up with patches/DLC, I really want another snowboarding game.

Off topic...I really need to go play Amped 2, I really really liked that game. Wonder if it's backwards compatible...(Edit: It does not appear to be)

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Wasn't even on my radar,but bought it Saturday on sight, at full price. Something I never do with games.

Why, brain? WHY?

Great game!

I don't understand the hate for the controls. They're some of the best controls I've ever seen for a game of this type. I'm playing at 60 fps so maybe it's a frame rate issue for some people?

The_Lump

Banned
Definitely a "meh" game. Scores are representative of what I played in the beta.
Snowboard/Ski games need a "back to basic" approach next. Screw the parachutes, stories, always online and other stupid shit seen in games like this one and the latest SSX. Cut the crap, Dirt Rally style. Get the physics and snow right, give us huge mountains, a freeride mode and let us compete in races and time trials à la SSX3.

Just wanted to point out to anyone only just reading this thread, that STEEP has all of these things.

NotBacon

But that's what this game is.....

To be fair though I just picked it up last week which means I've gotten the benefit of several large updates (including Alaska!) since the beta/release, but seriously, this game is freeride paradise. Endless challenges, huge mountains, hidden spots, great physics once you figure out the ropes, walking/hiking mode, time trials, etc.

Ubisoft really needs to push this game with the upcoming updates, because I think it left a bad taste in people's mouths early on, even though it is without a doubt the extreme snowboarding/skiing game many people were waiting for.

Top Bottom