• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microgenres

Phediuk

These are for those little groups of games that have converged on an oddly specific model of game design. They're too few in number to have a common name, but they're easily grouped together anyway.

Here's a few I had in mind:

Cold war simulators where you stare at a map the whole time and watch helplessly as the world veers toward nuclear war

Shadow President
shadow-president_23.gif

Balance of Power

Defcon

First-person Japanese action games that are sort-of-but-not-quite FPSes where you mostly punch and/or stab people

The Super Spy

Shien's Revenge

Breakdown

Futuristic racing games where there's no other racers and you just have to complete obstacle courses

Eliminator

Skyroads

Avoid Sensory Overload

Platformers where you're a blob with eyeballs

Smart Ball

LocoRoco

Drop Alive

post more.

Platy

For a game that sold like 5 million on the fucking wiiu, there are INCREDIBLY SMALL amount of party fighters around.

Also, 2D pixel art game with a shovel

Skyzard

Banned
How many games like Mario Kart are there that are good?

Sonic Racing Transformed, Blur and BlazeRush.

Modnation would have been good if the framerate was better on the cool levels you could download and the loading times weren't so bad.

And that's it.

Maybe CTR if we're going way back.

How many games like Mario Kart are there that are good?

Sonic Racing Transformed, Blur and BlazeRush. Modnation would have been good if the framerate was better on the cool levels you could download.

Crash Team Racing remaster with online is gonna happen and it's gonna be the best game ever made.

Nightii

Banned
I wish the video game industry made more Open World AAA Games and less Microgenres.

But seriously, I need more rail shooters that are just that.

I always wanted to like Defcon, but it was never quite War Games enough for me. BTW, whatever happened to that dev studio?

Speaking of microgenres, are there any other games like Harpoon? I loved that as a kid, but I never played anything else like it.

Stopdoor

Super Smash Bros. is like its own genre, which is mostly itself, Playstation All-Stars, and other D-tier knockoffs like Cartoon Network, TMNT, and the Wii Force Unleashed 2 game. Party fighter? Brawler? I dunno.

Pikmin is some sort of genre, like halfway between an RTS and some squad based thing, which I could maybe group Little King's Story on the Wii with.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Games that are like part RPG, part text adventure, part simulation, part kingdom manager.

Oregon Trail
Judpzil.gif

King of Dragon Pass
qdFasXo.jpg

7 Grand Steps
F88ejSpl.jpg

Hero of the Kingdom
XWNJQoSl.jpg

Anno

I always wanted to like Defcon, but it was never quite War Games enough for me. BTW, whatever happened to that dev studio?

They've been off making Prison Architect.

Defcon is a cool experience, if not necessarily the strongest game. The sound design really helped wrap up the whole package for me to feel really shit and kinda hopeless about the world when I played it.

mindsale

Really nice OP. I love the examples and it made me think of weird quirky similarities in some games I've played. Here's my contribution, and maybe someone can think of modern entries in this microgenre:

Construction themed sidescrolling puzzle/action

Helmet

Hard Hat Mack

Wrecking Crew

Does Drill Dozer count for this sub genre?

PSqueak

Banned
For a game that sold like 5 million on the fucking wiiu, there are INCREDIBLY SMALL amount of party fighters around.

Also, 2D pixel art game with a shovel

Because non of them has managed to come even close to nintendo mascot fighter games.

Red hot Rumble? Sucked
Tv dream fighters mega mix (or whatever)? Sucked
Punch time Explosion? Both iterations sucked.
TMNT Smash up? sucked.
PSASBR? best attempt but ultimately inferior in every way.
Shrek? i had forgotten it existed.

The only one close enough is the Jump super and ultimate stars games, but those were made by nintendo too, so they don't count.

Basically, companies have given up on this one.

mindsale

Because non of them has managed to come even close to nintendo mascot fighter games.

Red hot Rumble? Sucked
TMNT Smash up? sucked.

The only one close enough is the Jump super and ultimate stars games, but those were made by nintendo too, so they don't count.

Brawlhalla is upcoming, too. I've been playing it at PAX East for years, it's been novel to watch it grow. Not nearly Smash though.

Wood Man

Japanese Arcade Quiz Games Themed After Other Games

Quiz King of Fighters:

hqdefault.jpg

Quiz of Dragons (Themed after King of Dragon):

hqdefault.jpg

Fancolors

Does hunting games still count as a microgenre? I can only think of Monster Hunter, Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars. Weird considering how well MH sells every time.

Phediuk

Fantasy-themed post-Doom pre-Quake first-person shooters with action-adventure/RPG elements

Witchaven
Witchaven_gameplay.jpg

Hexen
0000002427.600x338.jpg

Powerslave
hqdefault.jpg

PtM

Banned
Does hunting games still count as a microgenre? I can only think of Monster Hunter, Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars. Weird considering how well MH sells every time.
MH isn't really a hunting game, it's Boss Battles: The Game.

duckroll

Does Drill Dozer count for this sub genre?

Sort of I guess? It doesn't quite fit exactly because while it does have the drill thing going for it, it's largely a pure action game with crazy designs. I think what those games share in common is that they're somewhat grounded and non-flashy, themed around stages and obstacles which are construction themed, and the characters all wear protective helmets. It's a pretty weird quirk!

This reminds me of a game I posted in a thread of obscure games a while back.

I'll have you know that this thread sent me on an 2 hour hunting spree in order to figure out the name of this game.

Warpath (Classic)

Warpath-Classic_3.jpg

I used to play the crap out of this game and thanks to this thread I found out that there is a way I can play it today.

Link to download: http://www.synthetic-reality.com/warpath.htm

Thank you so much. It's a blast from the past.

And holy crap they have a newer version! How did I miss this?

AllYourPlanet256.jpg

w97.gif

Link to download: http://www.synthetic-reality.com/warpath32.htm

Video for those who are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ7Txf8hZEY

If there is anything else like it I'd love to know.

duckroll

Games that are like part RPG, part text adventure, part simulation, part kingdom manager.

Oregon Trail

King of Dragon Pass

7 Grand Steps

Hero of the Kingdom

I haven't played it yet, and it's kinda pricey since it's new on Steam, but I've seen Josh Sawyer of Obsidian pimping a new game in this genre called Battle Brothers: http://store.steampowered.com/app/365360/

You run a mercenary outfit travelling the land and it's a mix of turn based RPG tactical battles, simulation stuff, and text adventure like Oregon Trail. Might be worth keeping an eye on!

randomkid

this reminded me of a thread I made ages ago about Professor Layton clones, a little boomlet that came and went by 2012. Stump and I tried to define the characteristics at the end of the thread but I still can't think of a good bolded name for it.

Brhoom

Banned
Games where you don't know what the fuck you must do and google doesn't help because no one played the game

VpDQLTU.png

Red hot Rumble? Sucked
TMNT Smash up? sucked.

Rivals of Aether isn't bad.

What I like to call "The RPG Maker Horror" Genre.

They are not RPGs, but top down horror games created in RPG Maker. Basically:

The Witch's House

Mad Father

Misao

Ib

Corpse Party*

Yume Nikki

And I love these games despite never playing them. Only watched LPs on youtube. I want to play them but have no pc. What I wouldn't give for a NS/3DS/PSV/PS4 version since I own those. Its insane how much I like them without even playing them.
*Aside from Corpse Party which did make its way to PSV & 3DS.

Additionally while not made in RPG Maker:

Yomawari: Night Alone

Corpse Party: Blood Drive

Can also be considered RPG Maker Horror games since they are also top down horror games. I want more. I want to know why Corpse Party 2 has been MIA so long and I want to see the Yomawari's team next game!

Edit: Also other things these games have in common: Girl Protagonists, awesome stories, and great scares. Surely a genre of its own.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Narrative adventures designed to look like you're interacting with a phone (bonus points if the messages occur in real time and/or the story is about privacy and surveillance)

Sara Is Missing
Mr Robot
Lifeline
A Normal Lost Phone
Replica

These are not quite phones, but they in a very similar orbit:

Emily is Away
UXwIg7ql.jpg

Majestic (this is definitely the coolest example ever but it can't be conveyed through a screenshot)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcTDMYq3xCw
(the game would actually call you in real life and send you instant messages on your actual instant messenger -- seriously about 20 years ahead of its time)

Arulan

I haven't played it yet, and it's kinda pricey since it's new on Steam, but I've seen Josh Sawyer of Obsidian pimping a new game in this genre called Battle Brothers: http://store.steampowered.com/app/365360/

You run a mercenary outfit travelling the land and it's a mix of turn based RPG tactical battles, simulation stuff, and text adventure like Oregon Trail. Might be worth keeping an eye on!

I won't discourage more publicity to Battle Brothers. It's a fantastic game that has gotten little attention outside of enthusiast communities, but I'm not sure it quite fits what Stumpokapow described. It's a lot closer to Mount & Blade with a little Darklands in there as well.

I won't discourage more publicity to Battle Brothers. It's a fantastic game that has gotten little attention outside of enthusiast communities, but I'm not sure it quite fits what Stumpokapow described. It's a lot closer to Mount & Blade with a little Darklands in there as well.
Six Ages is, however
http://sixages.com/
Being the spiritual successor to Kingdom of Dragon Pass

Top Bottom