• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS Now games available in open beta

SerTapTap

Has anyone tried a MOVE compatible game yet? I'm interesting in giving Resident Evil Chronicles games a shot but I'm worried about any further latency caused by synching the MOVE controller.

One reason is to listen to this track again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8G1G19n7jg

The PS Move isn't supported, the store description says so (since they're datamining the PSN listing, Chronicles makes mention of Move, but below that in the PS Now legalese it says nothing but DS3 or DS4 controllers are allowed.)

Edit: Well, that's what it says. If someone braver than I wants to pay and find out, be my guest.

Sony thinks everyone will throw full-price dollars at games that go away in a few months?

Apparently this new gaming world has left me behind.

Caffeine

i am really impressed with this service am not feeling any input lag runs fine on 12mbps wifi connection. dont really see that much compression there is some. the only thing i dont really like is the surround sound is stereo only but it sounds ok with my headset.

also if u go eat they kick u off for inactivity in like 20 mins and if u didnt save u have to replay that portion.

Mikey Jr.

It's gonna be okay, man. I don't know what those PS3 games did to you, but you're gonna make it through this.

Lol.

I want to see the service become popular, but starting off like this?

And they are all PS3 games. You could go down to gamestop or go on Amazon and BUY those games for a fraction of the cost.

Then you have the whole 4 hour thing that people seem to be latching onto and bashing.

I mean, what a way to start your service. By leaving a bad taste in your mouth.

Put in PS1 and PS2 games. Up res them. Trophies if possible. Not farming simulator.

Varg

Banned
A few games I would like to try on their but I think I'll wait for the subscription plan. Rainbow moon looks like my jam but I'm a completionist so a week rental for that won't cut it. May rent Catherine though to test the service out.

Freeman

Banned
Lol.

I want to see the service become popular, but starting off like this?

And they are all PS3 games. You could go down to gamestop or go on Amazon and BUY those games for a fraction of the cost.

Then you have the whole 4 hour thing that people seem to be latching onto and bashing.

I mean, what a way to start your service. By leaving a bad taste in your mouth.

Put in PS1 and PS2 games. Up res them. Trophies if possible. Not farming simulator.

Did you want PS4 games? PS1 and PS2 makes much more sense to be just emulated by PS4, it would be cool it they were also available on PSNow but PS3 makes much more sense.

I rented Crazy Taxi for four hours just to try it out.

Played around with it a little bit, and it seemed to work pretty damn well.

The PQ was probably not pristine, but that could be because my internet is not the fastest in the world and is only barely over the ideal speed for this type of service.

Other than that, it was hard to tell you were streaming it.

Mikey Jr.

Did you want PS4 games? PS1 and PS2 makes much more sense to be just emulated by PS4, it would be cool it they were also available on PSNow but PS3 makes much more sense.

PS4?

Sure, eventually. When the library grows.

But PS3 is in the limbo stage right now. I'm done with the PS3. I played the major games. If I wanted to play a PS3 game, I could buy it at the store. But at this point, I'm kinda done with the system for a while. I have a PS4.

But PS1 and PS2? Haven't played any of those in a while. Plus I am an RPG fiend. PS3 was terrible for RPGs. But PS1 and PS2 were the bastion and they would work beautifully with PS Now. Plus Sony has a lot of first party games from that era.

And it might be emulated. That would be a nice feature. (This possible?)

But its also a nice feature to just play the game right then and there.

Like right now, I want to play through the Socom series. I would rent Socom 1 right now. I could buy it on Amazon. But then I have to wait for it to come. And renting it for a week would be the perfect option.

cackhyena

I rented Crazy Taxi for four hours just to try it out.

Played around with it a little bit, and it seemed to work pretty damn well.

The PQ was probably not pristine, but that could be because my internet is not the fastest in the world and is only barely over the ideal speed for this type of service.

Other than that, it was hard to tell you were streaming it.
How fast of internet do you have? I have 12 down. Curious if I should even bother.

Fbh

I wish they had at least one free game.

You know, to try and see if it works well enough to spend some money

Hang on, its 4 hours real time, not game time? Wtf lol

So I basically pay the money and have to hope I don't need a shit or get hungry or I'm wasting part of my time. Amazing.

What? Did you also think that renting a game for a week actually meant 168 hours of game time, not real time?

also eat before you start playing, you can find something to tide you over for four hours can't you? And just how big are the shits you take anyway that you think you're gonna miss some major rental time??

I am not even in favor of the 4 hour rentals, but I find your complaints really dumb

Shizuka

A few games I would like to try on their but I think I'll wait for the subscription plan. Rainbow moon looks like my jam but I'm a completionist so a week rental for that won't cut it. May rent Catherine though to test the service out.

Rainbow Moon was less than $5 a few months ago.

fedexpeon

Banned
Huh, I am actually liking the 30 days 7.99 price point.
It is the perfect time limit to just simply enjoying a game at your own pace.

The only problem is that none of these games are interesting, or I already have them as a PS3 owners.
Good for people with no PS3 last gen or just a mainstream/casual gamers though, that 7.99/30days is the perfect price imo.

The service isn't aimming for last gen PS3 owners at all, you need subs for this group of gamers.
I am hoping they will test subs out later because right now, these games are meh for renting.

I rented Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 via PS Now since its on Open Beta for the PS4. I've played it before but its a game that requires precise timing and made sense as a first stop testing ground for it.

I'm impressed. Little to almost no latency whatsoever. I was kicking off combos like it was nothing. No noticeable compression artifacting from the stream. It looked like a game I had put into my PS3 IQ wise. I had a minor hitch for two seconds and it disappeared and played flawlessly from there. That's the worst I can say about it.

You can press the PS button at any time and it has options to bring up the PS3 XMB which it signs you into automatically and I unlocked a load of trophies in the process.

They've got something here. They put the right price on a subscription service and fill out the library with PSX/PS2/PS3 games it could make for an exciting Netflix like service. The rental pricing today makes no sense for anyone outside of those that don't actually own a PS3/PS4 and want to try gaming on a Bravia TV or something of the like.

Of note: I have a 150mbs FIOS line. Sony calls for a minimum 5mbs line.

Oublieux

I rented Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 via PS Now since its on Open Beta for the PS4.

I'm impressed. Little to almost no latency whatsoever. I was kicking off combos like it was nothing. No noticeable compression artifacting from the stream. It looked like a game I had put into my PS3 IQ wise.

Hnng. That sounds so great. I want this in Korea, the land of fast internet speeds.

Caffeine

ye on 12mbps im noticing maybe 5% compression and some audio compression for sure but its pretty much 95% solid for a open beta service

i wish they would put ffx/x-2 on here :p

I paid for 7 days of Darksiders and played for a little bit today. My connection speed is around 12mbs and the game was holding up fairly well, I had no problems playing. Im curious on what kind of subscription model they will implement.

Ringman

Banned
I tried out Mega Man 9. The input lag puts it on the border between playable unplayable, but for games that don't require quick reaction times, it's (surprisingly) functional.

It's a little bit worse than playing PS2 games on PS3. It's fine for most games, but the input lag is there.

Nipo

I like the idea of PS Now but I don't think they are actually targeting PS4 owners with the service.

Why would anyone pay that much to rent an old game? Who doesn't have a backlog of games at this point and it is only going to get worst going into fall. A subscription service might be appealing because i can just play any of the games for a few hours but I'd rather play one of the dozen games I picked up at the last steam sale and haven't played than rent a PS3 game for a week.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If pricing is going to be adjusted based on customer feedback (amount of purchases), why the hell are people making purchases?

Uh, really? Maybe some people are okay with the prices?

I just logged on and see 4.99 for alone in the dark for 90 days.

If I wanted to PLAY alone in the dark, 90 days would be sufficient and 4.99 is a good price. And it is convenient. Why would I not do this?

Kemal86

Some games have a decent deal for 7 or 30 days, it's the 4 hour time that's super garbage. I'd totally go for a 2-3 day rental at the same price point though.

Some of the Enders HD is weirdly priced at like $2 more than most everything else.

Do any of these have super easy Platinums?

Caffeine

I like the idea of PS Now but I don't think they are actually targeting PS4 owners with the service.

Why would anyone pay that much to rent an old game? Who doesn't have a backlog of games at this point and it is only going to get worst going into fall. A subscription service might be appealing because i can just play any of the games for a few hours but I'd rather play one of the dozen games I picked up at the last steam sale and haven't played than rent a PS3 game for a week.

my ps4 backlog after my ps3 died in the spring is wolfenstein which is half beat and last of us remastered which is already half beat. and come september destiny lol. thats it with psnow i can go back to the game i traded in long ago and try to collect trophies or simply play games i didnt get a chance to check out before my ps3 died instead of going out to blow another $200 on a ps3 again.

Wow... I am impressed. I change my initial impressions ever so slightly. I just picked up the Zone of the Enders HD collection.

I cannot notice any sort of input lag. Furthermore, its actually difficult to tell your watching an optimized video unless you really look for it (except when subtitles kick in, that makes it really obvious lol).

I'm really impressed, I didn't expect this kind of input lag free environment.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Lol.

I browsed through a few of the selections publishers were offering here is how they compare:

Game: Gamestop Amazon PS3 (90-Days)
MGS IV: 6.99 8.12 14.99
MGS HD: 24.99 25.97 22.99
DI: Riptide 17.99 14.97 24.99
Darksiders II: 19.99 15.39 29.99
SR: Full Package: 29.99 18.98 29.99
DOA V: 7.99 9.38 14.99
Resident Evil Darkside: 19.99 12.26 7.99
Dead Rising 2 - Off The Record: 19.99 11.48 14.99
Catherine: 24.99 17.60 14.99
Just Cause 2: 19.99 14.64 14.99
Bionic Commanda - Rearmed: 9.99 7.34 7.99
Alpha Protocol: 4.99 14.38 14.99
FF XIII: 12.99 8.29 14.99
FF XIII-2 Ultimate: 19.99 12.98 29.99
Enslaved: 4.99 8.70 14.99

I wouldn't be surprised if the pricing was about the same throughout the library. I think "a fraction of the cost. . ." as a blanket trend is obviously over-exaggerated, especially if you go the route I would expect most people to and choose the 30 day rental option. For 8-10 hour action titles, the week option is even more one-sided in PSNow's favor. The only thing one loses is the ability to actually own the disc.

I just want to stress for people that are on the fence... playing Zone of the Enders 2 right now... that its impossible for me to spot input lag, thats how good it is. I consider myself pretty perceptible when it comes to these things (FPS, resolution, input lag) and I couldn't tell you. If you told me I was playing an actual copy of the game on a PS3, I would believe you.

Zing

Banned
It's ridiculous how few first-party games are in that list.

I mean, it's actually a really crappy lineup to push out to people trying it for the first time.
No kidding. I came close to buying a PS4 when I heard about this service since I skipped the PS3. I mean, Uncharted isn't even on here. What the hell?

No wonder why Sony didn't want EA's subscription service on the PS4. The pricing blows Now out of the water.

Also, I don't think we'll see 'reasonable' prices for Now. Single player games can be pretty short these days, and there's no way developers would allow you to pay $2-$5 when you could beat the game and be done with it. And I doubt Now works well with multiplayer titles.

Oneself

Tried NG Sigma 2, around 27.5mb/s connection, image was a tiny bit compressed but I was really impressed to feel almost no input lag and was surprised to see it runs 60fps games @60fps!!!

It might be a good way to try games in the future since demos are pretty much non-existant nowadays.

What? Did you also think that renting a game for a week actually meant 168 hours of game time, not real time?

also eat before you start playing, you can find something to tide you over for four hours can't you? And just how big are the shits you take anyway that you think you're gonna miss some major rental time??

I am not even in favor of the 4 hour rentals, but I find your complaints really dumb

Compare it to something like Battlefield 4 where you get double XP or 25%, it's game time not real time. Asking me how long a poop takes or to eat first is a really dumb way of supporting this.

NolbertoS

Interesting. But what's sad is for me that I own almost all those games on PS NOW via physical copies with active consoles. Most of those games are cheaper on Amazon. Sony has alot of work to do to entice more people. If DQVIII or DQVII is offered, then I may double for those games only.

Tried out ninja gaiden 3 Razors edge and I was surprised at how well it worked. I was dodging and parrying like its all good. My internet speed is 28 mbps and ps4 is wired.

Are they charging for rentals? Of course they are. How else are they going to gauge market interest?

It's a beta not a released product. The rentals should be free in beta since it is a BETA. They can gauge pricing by doing surveys or some other means.

Compare it to something like Battlefield 4 where you get double XP or 25%, it's game time not real time. Asking me how long a poop takes or to eat first is a really dumb way of supporting this.

I'm not supporting it at all, I think the 4 hour fee is obviously a massive ripoff either way, It's a test to see how many people are going to be suckers and pay for it, they don't care if it's a ripoff or not. The idea that they'd blatantly try to rip people off, but yet throw in a "pause to take a shit and eat" feature out of consideration for the people they wanna rip off. is pretty silly to me

SkylineRKR

Ofcourse this shit is real time. Otherwise 90 days would actually be a good deal, thats like 2160 hours. Which I probably didn't accumulate in any game ever.

But all this pricing is Beta stuff. I can see the potential once there is a sub. I don't have a PS3 anymore, I would sub to this for the likes of USFIV, Xillia 2 etc. Like 40 a year for Plus, and 50 for those who don't have.. that would sound fair.

I'm not supporting it at all, I think the 4 hour fee is obviously a massive ripoff either way, It's a test to see how many people are going to be suckers and pay for it, they don't care if it's a ripoff or not. The idea that they'd blatantly try to rip people off, but yet throw in a "pause to take a shit and eat" feature out of consideration for the people they wanna rip off. is pretty silly to me

I get a week, or 4 days or whatever. People aren't expected to play for those days on a continual basis. However 4 hours is different. Like I said, Battlefield does it in game time and it makes sense. The pooping and eating thing was just an example of stuff happening that is unexpected or whatever. My phone rings the doorbell goes, my dog eats a fucking child. Either way if its a week who cares if you miss an hour. However if you've paid for 4 hours and its ticking down regardless of when you're playing, that sucks.

kevin1025

Banned
I didn't expect to see it in the Playstation Store here in Canada, pretty cool! I'm in for El Shaddai for 7 days, since that game is still $30 used around here. Should be cool to test out and also get to play this game finally. $5 for a week isn't so bad, though I would greatly prefer a downright monthly subscription price for whatever we feel like playing.

Top Bottom