• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

Jazz573

While we're at it what about a BL thread? I wouldn't visit it but I think it could be popular. If we make all these threads they should be linked in the VN thread to make finding them easier. There's also an unactive OELVN thrrad if I remember.

Though there aren't many BL games getting translations.

Dee Dee

It's the same on Android.

Girl's Side right? Because TokiMemo 1 isn't Otome, and nor is the majority of the series for that matter

Yes, I have only played the GS games myself, but I read Let's Plays of the original TokiMemos and they are sooo much fun! Like, you get to wrestle bears and stuff, they are plain awesome.
It's kinda sad they went more serious on the GS games, although one could argue GS1 had its fair share of joke characters (as did GS2 to a lesser extent).

I love how these stress the sim element of the dating sim. Getting your stats up for stat check points is hard work. And that Skinship system is a science of its own - peck? Poke? Rub?
So complicated! And the minigames, beautifully random and rage inducing.
It can feel like you have to win your boyfriend through save scamming (or praying to RNGesus) and an intense game of Mario Party.
I am so sad this kind of gameplay heavy Otome has died out.

Shizuka

Not because I made this topic, but I don't think other genres would get enough traffic to get threads going. I mean, otomes are getting new localizations on several platforms, and it was something suggested by several people through the course of the last three OTs I made for otome games.

Meanwhile, yuri... Doesn't have all that. Other than Flowers, I believe there isn't a big title in English that'd make people want to get into the genre and try out other games (and as mentioned, there aren't a lot of them in English to begin with).

BL is even worse. I love the genre, Hours Left love it even more, but what are we, two people? How many games are there in English, three? If you guys want to get a community thread going for those genres, start by making OTs for the big upcoming releases and see if there is enough traffic and people. If there's not, maybe it'd be best just to keep the discussion to the overall visual novels thread.

Chaos17

I forgot the name but I always cuirous about an otome game serie which is an Rpg. I wonder if one day they will put it on Vita.

Edit : found it > Harukanaru Toki no Naka

Thank you so much for this thread!! <3 Subbed!

I gotta ask: what was everyone's first otome?

Sweet Fuse on PS Vita. I was complaining to my friend about wanting more Bioware style romances and she was like "you should really play this game... <_<" and now I'm in Otome hell, thanks a lot Jen.

I just beat Code: Realize and I'm currently playing through Norn9. I stopped because I had ordered Haukuouki: Sweet School Life in Japanese and I was so excited to try it out. But my Japanese isn't quite where it needs to be for that game so between slogging through it with my own knowledge and then using a dictionary and translator app it just takes me forever to do anything. I'm also a bit skeeved out at some of the dudes being your teachers. It'd be different if you were like 18, though still sort of inappropriate but at least it wouldn't be weird underage shit. I'm gonna try to ignore it but maaan.

Is there any word at all of when Oz Mafia is going to be released? I couldn't find any info at all. :/ I need more shit to look forward to dammit! I particularly enjoy Vita releases but I'll do Steam as well. I don't really love mobile games though... the first one I tried seemed to be almost a complete ripoff of Hakuouki and paying per chapter is so annoying. I'd rather pay money for the whole game.

Knurek

Mine was... Well, I didn't even realize it was an otome game at the time. I didn't even know what an otome game was. Regardeless of all that, this was my gateway to the genre.

256px-Princess_Debut_US_Cover.jpg

Given this is a CAVE game, what's the condition for reaching True Last Boss?

Kirie

Thank you so much for this thread!! <3 Subbed!

Sweet Fuse on PS Vita. I was complaining to my friend about wanting more Bioware style romances and she was like "you should really play this game... <_<" and now I'm in Otome hell, thanks a lot Jen.

I just beat Code: Realize and I'm currently playing through Norn9. I stopped because I had ordered Haukuouki: Sweet School Life in Japanese and I was so excited to try it out. But my Japanese isn't quite where it needs to be for that game so between slogging through it with my own knowledge and then using a dictionary and translator app it just takes me forever to do anything. I'm also a bit skeeved out at some of the dudes being your teachers. It'd be different if you were like 18, though still sort of inappropriate but at least it wouldn't be weird underage shit. I'm gonna try to ignore it but maaan.

Is there any word at all of when Oz Mafia is going to be released? I couldn't find any info at all. :/ I need more shit to look forward to dammit! I particularly enjoy Vita releases but I'll do Steam as well. I don't really love mobile games though... the first one I tried seemed to be almost a complete ripoff of Hakuouki and paying per chapter is so annoying. I'd rather pay money for the whole game.

According to MangaGamer's latest project status update:

"Translation: 90% (Caesar route: 100%)
Editing: 8.21%"

So it's getting there :)

wheapon

Out of curiosity, are there any otome games with plot quality that rivals Hakuoki?

I really enjoyed that one, but it seems like most other otome games I have seen are not set in a similarly interesting scenario.

Shizuka

Out of curiosity, are there any otome games with plot quality that rivals Hakuoki?

I really enjoyed that one, but it seems like most other otome games I have seen are not set in a similarly interesting scenario.

I'd suggest Code Realize. The others might have better romance, but not better plots.

Jazz573

I have Hatoful Boyfriend, Amnesia: Memories, and Yo-Jin-Bo. Got some OELVN ones too, but I'm not as excited about them. Which of those three should I start with?

Have you played Sweet Fuse? That one still is in the top for me, Hakuouki was great but it was relentlessly bleak at times and the Japanese historical bits were a bit much at times. (also like someone else mentioned the Furies thing was a bit strange).

How is Yo-Jin-Bo in the romance department? I can't tell just from looking at it.

Saphirax

Have you played Sweet Fuse? That one still is in the top for me, Hakuouki was great but it was relentlessly bleak at times and the Japanese historical bits were a bit much at times. (also like someone else mentioned the Furies thing was a bit strange).

How is Yo-Jin-Bo in the romance department? I can't tell just from looking at it.

Those were my favorite parts :(. Despair + you get to learn some history! My favorites :p.

Dee Dee

Hatoful Boyfriend, definitely.
Haha, not sure here.
Hatoful Boyfriend gets REALLY meta at times, and some of its humor might be lost if you have not played lots of Otome before.

I seem to be the only one that plays the Voltage stuff on mobile?
Most of the games have like 6 routes with two endings each, which cost 3 EUR on average and are around 3hours long (I am a slow reader though). That means you can buy all routes for around 18 EUR. Then there are sequels (around half the chapter number compared to the main story), short stories and popular games also get multiple seasons (so that you spend more moniez). I buy two or three routes a month of stuff that looks interesting, and rarely a sequel or short story if I really like the premise or the character.
The really popular stuff will usually get "10 years later" sequels with the whole marriage shebang and sometimes even babies. Haha, it's pretty creepy.

They only recently started to branch out with their art styles and introduced a more action/mystery related story (now renamed to "Fates of Astoria") which has the first female love interest of any Voltage game.

The quality is alright for the price and business model.

If you enjoy specific tropes, I can surely recommend some routes there to check out.

Ephidel

Hello Otome thread :D

Mine was the Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden game.
The most I can say is that it seemed like a good idea at the time. I never got all the ends because, in all honesty, I didn't really know what I was doing... but it still counts right? ^^;

Amnesia might count as the first one I actually played and understood ;)
For some reason I'd never actually picked up Hakuoki or Sweet Fuse until recently during sales (Ryusei is my early pick for a favourite in Sweet Fuse ^_^).

Although, as people have mentioned Non-VN otome games, I want to give an honourary mention to Avalon Code. I don't know what demographic it was actually aimed at, but it was a ds rpg where you went around collecting information in a book, and by modifying the traits you recorded you could effect changes in the 'real' world. It was a little rough and repetitive, but pretty interesting. And you could pick the gender of the protagonist and the female lead had a selection of guys she could romance:
Okay, so they're a little fussy on the design front, but I love them anyway (well, maybe not Rex). My favourite is still Rempo <3 (the dude with the horns and the arm restraints)

I seem to be the only one that plays the Voltage stuff on mobile?
I have an android tablet but I find it hard to make myself play stuff on it for some reason (mainly because it crashes regularly). That said...
They only recently started to branch out with their art styles and introduced a more action/mystery related story (now renamed to "Fates of Astoria") which has the first female love interest of any Voltage game.
This one is actually on my radar after someone linked me to hot pics of Hades on tumblr. I mean, they were attempting to point out the whole mythology thing because they knew I go for that, but... well, Hades.
Yeah, the midriff is totally what I'm looking at. Ahem.
Honestly though, Fates of Astoria does sound pretty interesting.

Saphirax

Seeing those images reminded me; which otome games have older guys who look their age as a romance option? I found it refreshing in Sweet Fuse. It was a nice surprise.

eefara

Fantastic thread; subbed in a heartbeat. I'll have to post my review of Nameless here once I get around to writing it. It's a Korean otome on Steam that everyone must play because it's so awesome. :O

I believe my first otome was Hakuoki on the PSP. Been a fan ever since.

Is Yo Jin Bo any good? I bought it cheap a while back, but I don't know much about it.

Fantastic thread; subbed in a heartbeat. I'll have to post my review of Nameless here once I get around to writing it. It's a Korean otome on Steam that everyone must play because it's so awesome. :O

I believe my forest otome was Hakuoki on the PSP. Been a fan ever since.

Is Yo Jin Bo any good? I bought it cheap a while back, but I don't know much about it.

I'd say give it a shot! It's pretty short, but the story and characters were cute. CG art is a little wonky as well but hey.

Ah man, you're playing Nameless? I really need to get back to that, I think I had only two or three routes left.
Edit: This also reminded me to go get my Steam key off of Cheritz's website. Maybe I'll start with a fresh playthrough.

Chaos17

Dee Dee

So to elaborate on the "Your first Otome" question, here is my wall of text. But first of all thanks to anyone who posted theirs, I will try to check all those out, especially the DS games mentioned here!

I was always interested in the genre, from an outsider's perspective. I found it absurd and weird, yet was enthusiastic that there actually was a genre catering to girls and women, something that seemed strange and sorely lacking for me in the video games I knew. It seemed to form a counterpoint, a bit of a weak and dada counterpoint, but well, worth to check it out maybe.

I read a lot of Let's Plays of stuff. A lot. I got hooked on the pretty legendary Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 1 and 2 Let's Plays from Angie Gallant (click here and here to read them yourself, I can not recommend them enough).

Eventually I got my hands on the fan translation and played Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2 on an emulator myself.
It was hard.
That game was hard.

But it had everything.
Everything.

It has MASSIVE STAT BUILDING:
C168SBC.png

See that STRESS stat? Yeah? Fuck that.

Complicated clothing combination systems:
wxvrEwg.png

Now, if my taste in clothing was existant, this would show up as a good combination with a specific style: "cool", "sexy" or "sporty" for example.

Abstruse touching system, where you have to learn specific movements with you stylus to TOUCH BOYS IN THE FACE:
tmgs2-064.png

This tells you, you did it WRONG.

Awesome girlfriend sidekicks:
tmgs2-174.png

... who turn into your mortal enemies once you touch their preferred boys:
tmgs2-242.png

The CHOCOLATE MINIGAME FROM HELL:
tmgs2-211.png

It had DATE DISTURBERS:
tmgs2-186.png

And the best part: You could turn down the guy at the end and go with the second best, you have been friendzoning all game. Muahahahahaha!!
tmgs2-476.png

I love these games.
Did you know, that in Girl's Side 3 you can start a love triangle, and keep it running by carefully balancing the dates with your two love interests? There is even a hand holding mini game, where you have to equally hold hands with both, so they don't get upset, haha, it's amazing.

As to who I dated: I dated Chris, and it was fun.
1yGUR0E.jpg

His stat requirements though, holy hell. Had to reload earlier save states multiple times and cancel lots of dates to meet them eventually.

Despite his nasal Kansai dialect (the game is fully voiced!!!) I grew to like him a lot. I always enjoy the nice and approachable guys in these games. I don't want to fight for three years with a boy for him to give a half-hearted "I actually like you, well, kinda." at the end. These characters are usually not well-written enough to pull that off (there are exceptions).

Anyway, TokiMemo (yes, the boy's side too) are super fun, and I can fully recommend them. 1 and 2 have pretty weird boys as picks (i.e. the creepy school super intendent from 1!!), but 3 got it all right finally, with a really dreamy and varied selection of boys to go after. I recommend skipping 1, unless you accept that the whole premise is hilarious, and just play it for fun. 2 has some really good emotional moments here and there on the routes though, despite the asshole main guy from the box cover.
Just keep in mind that you might need a walkthrough to get the guy of your choice. And work hard for it. And abuse save states.

Saphirax

Dee Dee

Some of the guys there are pushing it :p. Even I have my limits. 50+? No, thank you. Although it does look nice.

Edit: second game looks much better!

Maybe TokiMeki GS 1 Himuro Route might be interesting for you? Romancing a teacher is not easily stomachable for most, but this one was done nicely, he keeps it pretty distanced and professional for the most part of your 3 years at school. He actually felt like an older guy, who you only end up dating because you pretty much pester him for 3 years.
(Except that one time where you go drinking in a bar, and he takes you home in his sport's car. whooo.)
Don't go for the superintendant though, that route is horrendous.
tmgs187.png

D:

Edit:

Oh, if you are not opposed to mobile otome games, "Kissed by the baddest bidder" and "In Your Arms Tonight" might interest you when it comes to a choice of more adult men. Actually, a lot of the voltage stuff is suited more towards women then girls.
Kissed.png

IYAT.jpeg

I read a lot of Let's Plays of stuff. A lot. I got hooked on the pretty legendary Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 1 and 2 Let's Plays from Angie Gallant (click here and here to read them yourself, I can not recommend them enough).

Angie Gallant's Let's Plays were the reason I got into TMGS in the first place. Hilarious stuff.

Chaos17

The thing that interest me in Otome games, even if it's really rare is that they can make direct sequels where you can really continue the romance (I'm looking at your Bioware, my Morrigan, I wanted to stay with her Q_Q)

Anyway, here's the last serie that I know who did it, it has 3 parts and the whole cast do became older : Wand of Fortune

500px-572916.jpg

Jazz573

So to elaborate on the "Your first Otome" question, here is my wall of text. But first of all thanks to anyone who posted theirs, I will try to check all those out, especially the DS games mentioned here!

I was always interested in the genre, from an outsider's perspective. I found it absurd and weird, yet was enthusiastic that there actually was a genre catering to girls and women, something that seemed strange and sorely lacking for me in the video games I knew. It seemed to form a counterpoint, a bit of a weak and dada counterpoint, but well, worth to check it out maybe.

Eventually I got my hands on the fan translation and played Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2 on an emulator myself.
It was hard.
That game was hard.

But it had everything.
Everything.

It has MASSIVE STAT BUILDING:
C168SBC.png

See that STRESS stat? Yeah? Fuck that.

Complicated clothing combination systems:
wxvrEwg.png

Now, if my taste in clothing was existant, this would show up as a good combination with a specific style: "cool", "sexy" or "sporty" for example.

Abstruse touching system, where you have to learn specific movements with you stylus to TOUCH BOYS IN THE FACE:
tmgs2-064.png

This tells you, you did it WRONG.

Awesome girlfriend sidekicks:
tmgs2-174.png

... who turn into your mortal enemies once you touch their preferred boys:
tmgs2-242.png

The CHOCOLATE MINIGAME FROM HELL:
tmgs2-211.png

It had DATE DISTURBERS:
tmgs2-186.png

And the best part: You could turn down the guy at the end and go with the second best, you have been friendzoning all game. Muahahahahaha!!
tmgs2-476.png

I love these games.
Did you know, that in Girl's Side 3 you can start a love triangle, and keep it running by carefully balancing the dates with your two love interests? There is even a hand holding mini game, where you have to equally hold hands with both, so they don't get upset, haha, it's amazing.

As to who I dated: I dated Chris, and it was fun.
1yGUR0E.jpg

His stat requirements though, holy hell. Had to reload earlier save states multiple times and cancel lots of dates to meet them eventually.

Despite his nasal Kansai dialect (the game is fully voiced!!!) I grew to like him a lot. I always enjoy the nice and approachable guys in these games. I don't want to fight for three years with a boy for him to give a half-hearted "I actually like you, well, kinda." at the end. These characters are usually not well-written enough to pull that off (there are exceptions).

Anyway, TokiMemo (yes, the boy's side too) are super fun, and I can fully recommend them. 1 and 2 have pretty weird boys as picks (i.e. the creepy school super intendent from 1!!), but 3 got it all right finally, with a really dreamy and varied selection of boys to go after. I recommend skipping 1, unless you accept that the whole premise is hilarious, and just play it for fun. 2 has some really good emotional moments here and there on the routes though, despite the asshole main guy from the box cover.
Just keep in mind that you might need a walkthrough to get the guy of your choice. And work hard for it. And abuse save states.

Speaking of Let's Plays there's a guy over on SomethingAwful who's been doing a screenshot LP of the entire TokiMemo series. Last I was reading he was on Girl's Side 1 but I haven't read the thread in almost a year, so he's probably much further along by now.

eefara

I'd say give it a shot! It's pretty short, but the story and characters were cute. CG art is a little wonky as well but hey.

Ah man, you're playing Nameless? I really need to get back to that, I think I had only two or three routes left.
Edit: This also reminded me to go get my Steam key off of Cheritz's website. Maybe I'll start with a fresh playthrough.

I finished it a week or so ago, actually; it's definitely one of my favorite otome games. I was so sad when I finished it; I didn't want to leave all my boys behind. :(

I"m playing Dandelion now; the pacing's iffy and I'm not a fan of stat-building in visual novels, but other than those two criticisms it's not too bad so far. (Note: I haven't beaten even one route yet, so we'll see how it goes.) I'm also playing Amnesia: Memories on Steam (got it for $3 :D). I'm on Shin's route, and I gotta say: I don't really like him. He needs an attitude readjustment. :mad:

BTA

Oooh, been wondering when this thread would happen!

I've still got Code Realize/Hakuoki/Sweet Fuse sitting in my backlog, and I'm picking up Amnesia from the current PSN sale too. Gonna be a while till I can get to any of them, but I'm hoping to at least finish enough other things to have time for CR next month.

Westraid

Seeing those images reminded me; which otome games have older guys who look their age as a romance option? I found it refreshing in Sweet Fuse. It was a nice surprise.
How old are we talking about?
If you can understand Japanese, have some patience (game isn't out yet) and with 'older', you mean out of school, check out Collar x Malice, with all characters being in their 20s. Posterboy is 28.

EDIT: BinaryStar has 2 older characters that are 28 and 35 years old. Rest is very late teens and early 20s. Game's good too.
EDIT 2: And if you're into the REALLY old there's KLAP!! where character ages lie between 100 and 400 or something wtf. Didn't play it since it's not my cup of tea, but my friend loved it.

Shizuka

I've set as a goal of mine that before the year is over, I'll get the platinum trophies for all otome titles on the Vita (and get on 100% Hatoful Boyfriend). Without skipping any dialogue, of course.

Saphirax

Maybe TokiMeki GS 1 Himuro Route might be interesting for you? Romancing a teacher is not easily stomachable for most, but this one was done nicely, he keeps it pretty distanced and professional for the most part of your 3 years at school. He actually felt like an older guy, who you only end up dating because you pretty much pester him for 3 years.
(Except that one time where you go drinking in a bar, and he takes you home in his sport's car. whooo.)
Don't go for the superintendant though, that route is horrendous.
tmgs187.png

D:

Edit:

Oh, if you are not opposed to mobile otome games, "Kissed by the baddest bidder" and "In Your Arms Tonight" might interest you when it comes to a choice of more adult men. Actually, a lot of the voltage stuff is suited more towards women then girls.
Kissed.png

IYAT.jpeg

The DS game looks interesting. I'll keep it in mind, thanks! I heard about Voltage games, but I'm not sure about their quality. I haven't seen a lot of substance to them.

How old are we talking about?
If you can understand Japanese, have some patience (game isn't out yet) and with 'older', you mean out of school, check out Collar x Malice, with all characters being in their 20s. Posterboy is 28.

EDIT: BinaryStar has 2 older characters that are 28 and 35 years old. Rest is very late teens and early 20s. Game's good too.
EDIT 2: And if you're into the REALLY old there's KLAP!! where character ages lie between 100 and 400 or something wtf. Didn't play it since it's not my cup of tea, but my friend loved it.

I heard about all three of those and I really like the look of CxM! Unfortunately my Japanese isn't anywhere near good enough to play any games D:. One day!

-------------
Box art for Kenka Bancho Otome game

BL is even worse. I love the genre, Hours Left love it even more, but what are we, two people? How many games are there in English, three? If you guys want to get a community thread going for those genres, start by making OTs for the big upcoming releases and see if there is enough traffic and people. If there's not, maybe it'd be best just to keep the discussion to the overall visual novels thread.
I've long debated making a BL/gay gaming thread, but as you said, I don't know what the turn out would be. The OT I made for Coming Out on Top was quite successful, while No, Thank You!!! got a bit of traction, but not nearly the same level. When I post any news bits about upcoming gay themed games in the VN thread or whatever, I barely get any response at all, so I'm never sure what the general interest level is.

It doesn't help that I really only gravitate towards certain types of BL games, jock/bara/gachimuchi stuff mainly, which some people don't even consider BL, so that's another thing to think about. That's why I think a thread focused more broadly on gay gaming would probably be more successful, since it can act as a catch all for everything.

Box art for Kenka Bancho Otome game
The premise for this game is really cool, but none of them really look like Banchos except for maybe one guy. Disappointing.

Top Bottom