• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

(placeholder logo)

Description: Every week we nostalgically look back on the games we played growing up and our personal stories surrounding them. We discuss a brief history of the game, the memories of the game that impacted our lives, and the experience of going back to the game in the present day.

[Latest Episode:
Episode 4: Journey to Silius
(54:00)

This week we discuss Journey to Silius. This side scrolling shooter developed by Sunsoft is one of the gems of the NES generation that flew under the radar. From it’s interesting past as a Terminator game to a fantastic soundtrack, Journey to Silius should be part of your collection. Join us as we return to the year 1990 and remember our first memories of the game and our experience revisiting it.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Castlevania/Streets of Rage 2

Game Guru

Just listened to the Shenmue episode and a few things.

First: ...Yeah, Adventure of Link kind of does suck, sad to say. I can see Miyamoto just shaking his head disapprovingly at that game.
Second: Paper Mario 64, however, is a great game! Why are you dissing it?!

First: ...Yeah, Adventure of Link kind of does suck, sad to say. I can see Miyamoto just shaking his head disapprovingly at that game.

No one was dissing it. I have never even played it.

LogicStep

I listened to Ep 0 and working on Ep1. I listen on my commute so it takes me like 2 days to listen to the whole thing, maybe 3. How old are you guys? I'm loving it because I'm 28 and grew up on the Sega Master System (you guys should talk about some of those, like Alex the Kidd) and the NES so this podcast is awesome for me. I haven't played a lot of NES games but I plan on going back to some soon. Anyways, great job!

I listened to Ep 0 and working on Ep1. I listen on my commute so it takes me like 2 days to listen to the whole thing, maybe 3. How old are you guys? I'm loving it because I'm 28 and grew up on the Sega Master System (you guys should talk about some of those, like Alex the Kidd) and the NES so this podcast is awesome for me. I haven't played a lot of NES games but I plan on going back to some soon. Anyways, great job!

I am 27, Trey and Josh are 27-28

RkOwnage

They just don't know! It's awesome.

Just got bit by the retro gaming bug again after getting past a financial emergency last year. Looking forward to doing episodes on these... Snagged some good deals on ebay:

StarTropics complete in box and Crystalis for $12 each

MetalStorm. Had to have a copy after watching the Gamecenter CX episode. Just under $50. Most I have spent on a used NES game...

Crono Trigger. Snagged this 2 minutes after it was posted for $35! Going for more than twice that in worse condition. Game saves work.

I think Chrono Trigger's prices have been going down a little thanks to the ports of DS and iOS versions. Chrono Trigger isn't a rare game, it was just highly sought after. That's why the price has been so high on it for years. Now that it's easier to find it's a little less "collectable".

I'm gonna listen to the Shenmue episode now and give impressions later. I'm looking forward to the Journey of Sillius episode more though because I've never even heard about that game until this topic and then I read up on it a little bit and only played it for a few minutes but it's really cool. I can't believe I never heard of it. It's rad.

I think Chrono Trigger's prices have been going down a little thanks to the ports of DS and iOS versions. Chrono Trigger isn't a rare game, it was just highly sought after. That's why the price has been so high on it for years. Now that it's easier to find it's a little less "collectable".

I'm gonna listen to the Shenmue episode now and give impressions later. I'm looking forward to the Journey of Sillius episode more though because I've never even heard about that game until this topic and then I read up on it a little bit and only played it for a few minutes but it's really cool. I can't believe I never heard of it. It's rad.

True, still goes for over $75 regularly on ebay.

Journey to Silius will be a good episode. Some Sunsoft love is coming.

Game Guru

Don't forget the PS1 FF Chronicles version or the PSN version which, despite being inferior to even the SNES version in some ways, still makes it commonly available on PlayStation systems and I know the PS1 FF Chronicles version is still a lot cheaper new than the original SNES cartiridge is in its used state. Then there is the Virtual Console version, which means a person can play it on their Wii and Wii U.

There are a wide variety of ways that someone interested in playing Chrono Trigger can get the game without resorting to buying the original SNES version. The original SNES version is really more a collector's item at this point for people who want that game on that particular console.

Don't forget the PS1 FF Chronicles version or the PSN version which, despite being inferior to even the SNES version in some ways, still makes it commonly available on PlayStation systems and I know the PS1 FF Chronicles version is still a lot cheaper new than the original SNES cartiridge is in its used state. Then there is the Virtual Console version, which means a person can play it on their Wii and Wii U.

There are a wide variety of ways that someone interested in playing Chrono Trigger can get the game without resorting to buying the original SNES version. The original SNES version is really more a collector's item at this point for people who want that game on that particular console.

Good call. I just realized I have 4 fucking versions of this game now... SNES, DS, PS1 Disc, PSN download. That's pretty dumb, just couldn't pass on the deal when I saw it.

Okay finished the Shenmue episode. It was great to hear you guys talk about the Dreamcast launch stuff. That was my favorite part. I have never owned a Dreamcast personally but I have played it a little bit back in the day. Dreamcast was always a console that to me had great hardware and innovative ideas but the games weren't to appealing. The PS1 was where it was at for me. I hated missing out on it but I was burned by Sega due to the 32x and them releasing the CD and Saturn to their deaths before they were barely alive. I was a genesis kid so I had my love for SEGA. I missed out on a lot of SNES games because at the time it was way to expensive to own both consoles and the SNES games were more expensive so I got a Genesis instead. Even though in retrospect I think I prefer the SNES. Sorry I'm drifting off.

I have never played Shenmue but growing up around it's release I only knew it as

A) One of the most expensive games of all times that bombed so bad it's one of the reasons SEGA was killed

B) A very shallow game with unprecedented details and graphics with features that no game could compete with

I kinda want to play Shenmue but I think Sega is missing a huge opportunity in not re-releasing this game. How many compilations have sega re-released in the last generation? Is this game hard to port or something. I know it's hard to port Saturn games but Dreamcast games?

Some Sunsoft love is coming.

*massive nostalgia approching*

Sunsoft will always have a place in my heart because they are the ones that got me into gaming as a permanent hobby. I had an atari for years and liked it but at most it was a fun time waster. The first NES I ever got to play was Not Mario, Not Zelda, Not Duck Hunt but Batman. For the first time I felt like I had control. I really felt I was Batman going on a real adventure, completely immersed into his world. I mean playing Zelda and Mario for the first time was great too, but they are new worlds and characters. Batman is an established character from an established franchise. To make me feel like I was playing as Batman and to make him complete his quest by MY actions was mind-blowing at the time. For a game to be so close to the look and feel of the movie (and not be a total piece of shit like so many atari games were) and have a variety of ways to tackle the situation Batman was in just made my imagination go wild. From that moment I knew exactly how this video game "medium" would turn out and it was only a matter of time before other people realized the potential it would have.

Kevin you talking about Journey of Silius reminds me of those times. It sounds like it was a game you really liked growing up.

With the trip to Japan I am seriously thinking about going a whole year with consoles that are pre-2000... After the ebay spending spree the last few days I easily have enough games. Could be interesting to blog about too.

Just need to get a Game Boy Pocket Light...

With the trip to Japan I am seriously thinking about going a whole year with consoles that are pre-2000...

I think I could do this too easily as I love all games from all periods of time, but I would never want to. Ever. I have just as fond of memories as of late with games as I do of past experiances. Gaming is still as exciting as ever. Even I you don't care for a lot of the more modern style of games and it's direction there are plenty of new arcade and retro style games getting released everyday. The dawn of the next generation is as exciting as ever. I still would like to have my experiences with the PS4 launch and tell people many years from now like you guys do now with the Dreamcast and such.

Game Guru

I think I could do this too easily as I love all games from all periods of time, but I would never want to. Ever. I have just as fond of memories as of late with games as I do of past experiances. Gaming is still as exciting as ever. Even I you don't care for a lot of the more modern style of games and it's direction there are plenty of new arcade and retro style games getting released everyday. The dawn of the next generation is as exciting as ever. I still would like to have my experiences with the PS4 launch and tell people many years from now like you guys do now with the Dreamcast and such.

There are only a few things possible in gaming that would make me just go "I'm done!" The Xbox One's DRM would've done it had it been an industry standard. Thankfully, Microsoft saw the light, or their preorders and went back on that plan, and Sony and Nintendo did not do anything like that. Even then, there's still tons of indie games that I would still play. My line is ownership. If you want me to pay a premium price, I'd better own the media. Even my PC and Android games as well as my eBooks and whatever MP3s I buy are bought for what is more in line with a rental price.

Latest Episode:
Episode 4: Journey to Silius
(54:00)

This week we discuss Journey to Silius. This side scrolling shooter developed by Sunsoft is one of the gems of the NES generation that flew under the radar. From it’s interesting past as a Terminator game to a fantastic soundtrack, Journey to Silius should be part of your collection. Join us as we return to the year 1990 and remember our first memories of the game and our experience revisiting it.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Castlevania/Streets of Rage 2

Okay finished episode 4. All I can say is thank you for introducing me to Journey to Sillius. I've never heard about before this podcast and it's an amazing game. I love it.

Kevin did you really say Streets of Rage 1 is totally inferior to SoR2. C'mon man that's a little unfair, SoR1 did so many things right for that time period and is still a blast to play. It laid the ground work for SoR2. Alright I got a question that I would like you guys to answer on the podcast. Why is SoR2 held in higher regard than SoR3? The way I see it is the game is graphically better, improved gameplay and a comparable soundtrack. I'm not saying SoR2 isn't great but I'm curious how guys feel about it in relation to 1 or 3. Is it the best SoR?

Also are you still gonna have guests on future podcasts? It would be interesting to throw a fourth interchanging person in your good three regular dynamic.

Kevin did you really say Streets of Rage 1 is totally inferior to SoR2. C'mon man that's a little unfair, SoR1 did so many things right for that time period and is still a blast to play. It laid the ground work for SoR2. Alright I got a question that I would like you guys to answer on the podcast. Why is SoR2 held in higher regard than SoR3? The way I see it is the game is graphically better, improved gameplay and a comparable soundtrack. I'm not saying SoR2 isn't great but I'm curious how guys feel about it in relation to 1 or 3. Is it the best SoR?

Also are you still gonna have guests on future podcasts? It would be interesting to throw a fourth interchanging person in your good three regular dynamic.

SoR 1 is still a great game, I just think the second makes significant improvements on gameplay/music/enemies/etc.

We will most likely do extra segments for big games line chrono trigger with guests. Still figuring that out.

oatmeal

Banned
I feel like you guys are ripping these off faster than one a week...just as I finish one, you got a new one up!

I like it.

I'm really happy with the Journey to Silius episode, hope you guys like it!

It being the episode...and the game. Come for the music, stay for the gameplay.

oatmeal

Banned
I'd never actually heard of Sillius until your Shenmue podcast (also, I thought it was Shen-Moo-Ey...for years...). I watched a couple vids on YouTube, the music is outstanding.

I'd never actually heard of Sillius until your Shenmue podcast (also, I thought it was Shen-Moo-Ey...for years...). I watched a couple vids on YouTube, the music is outstanding.

Isn't it, though? Feel free to join our Journey to Silius coverband. I'm on bass.

Game Guru

Both Castlevania and Streets of Rage 2 are awesome. While I would like to say I owned them on their original systems, I cannot... I have official PC versions of both and both are awesome games which I enjoyed.

I hope we can do more games that are hidden gems. Maybe I can get the guys to do Metal Storm...

Apenheul

Listened to the Super Mario World episode yesterday; nothing puts me in that nostalgic mode like the SMW music. It's still my favorite Super Mario game. Overall the episode was very enjoyable and since I was listening on iPad from a distance I didn't really notice that Kevin used the built-in microphone for a good while. I've got to agree with, I forgot who said it, that NSMBU's got Super Mario World vibes (though it still feels more like SMB3). It's difficulty level is also comparable. I'm still in the process of finding all the star coins and that's where you start losing a lot of lives

Then I listened to the Journey to Silius episode. I know that game only by its music and in Europe it's quite rare. I might import from the US.

The Shenmue episode I kept for later, I still have to play that game some time.

Lombaszko

I'm really enjoying your podcast. I appreciate how you guys give your memories of the game, then re-play it.
I'm usually bothered by "Skype-in" podcasts but the sound quality is good and you all have a nice flow together.

And Kevin, I liked your shout out to the Liberty Tree Mall in an earlier episode (I'm in Wakefield!).
Can't wait to listen to this Journey to Silius episode. I had the game as a kid, but it was so hard.
Keep it up, guys!

I'm really enjoying your podcast. I appreciate how you guys give your memories of the game, then re-play it.
I'm usually bothered by "Skype-in" podcasts but the sound quality is good and you all have a nice flow together.

And Kevin, I liked your shout out to the Liberty Tree Mall in an earlier episode (I'm in Wakefield!).
Can't wait to listen to this Journey to Silius episode. I had the game as a kid, but it was so hard.
Keep it up, guys!

Thanks! Liberty Tree Mall Babbages/Electronics Boutique 4 life.

Listened to the Super Mario World episode yesterday; nothing puts me in that nostalgic mode like the SMW music. It's still my favorite Super Mario game. Overall the episode was very enjoyable and since I was listening on iPad from a distance I didn't really notice that Kevin used the built-in microphone for a good while. I've got to agree with, I forgot who said it, that NSMBU's got Super Mario World vibes (though it still feels more like SMB3). It's difficulty level is also comparable. I'm still in the process of finding all the star coins and that's where you start losing a lot of lives

Then I listened to the Journey to Silius episode. I know that game only by its music and in Europe it's quite rare. I might import from the US.

The Shenmue episode I kept for later, I still have to play that game some time.

It is worth tracking down a copy or importing from the US. Seriously goes for $10 here

Starting my Castlevania playthrough. 3rd boss first time through. Journey to Silius has totally helped me get ready for the shit this game would throw at me.

Aww yes Journey of Silius complete. Fantastic game. Easily in my top 10 NES games without a doubt. Quick review.

Pros

*Sound gameplay. Nothing broken and straight forward. Easy to get into and play. Weapon variety as well.

* Music. Even though the soundtrack is very limited (4 stage theme's and a game over song) every one is amazing. Among the NES's best.

* Very atmospheric for an NES game

* Fair difficulty. For the most part you die on your own accord except for a few instances.

* Short but sweet just the right amount of gameplay time for an NES game

* Alt weapons useful but not crippled without them

* Varied stages and enemies. Every level looks and feels different with all new enemies. Not one repeated enemy in the whole game. That in itself is unheard of for an NES game.

Cons

* I understand the game not allowing directional aiming as it would have changed the game but I felt like the game would have benefited from a strait upward shot.

* Platforming sections sections kinda janky

* Parts when you fall down and can't see what's below you always have a ton of shit below and you are bound to get hit unless you memorized everything

* When walking off an edge you don't fall straight down but more towards the right. It made some parts kinda awkward because enemies could be placed in the right spots because of this

* Stage 5 kinda a letdown compared to the rest of the stages

Overall I'd give it a 9/10 for an NES game and a recommendation.

Aww yes Journey of Silius complete. Fantastic game. Easily in my top 10 NES games without a doubt. Quick review.

Pros

*Sound gameplay. Nothing broken and straight forward. Easy to get into and play. Weapon variety as well.

* Music. Even though the soundtrack is very limited (4 stage theme's and a game over song) every one is amazing. Among the NES's best.

* Very atmospheric for an NES game

* Fair difficulty. For the most part you die on your own accord except for a few instances.

* Short but sweet just the right amount of gameplay time for an NES game

* Alt weapons useful but not crippled without them

* Varied stages and enemies. Every level looks and feels different with all new enemies. Not one repeated enemy in the whole game. That in itself is unheard of for an NES game.

Cons

* I understand the game not allowing directional aiming as it would have changed the game but I felt like the game would have benefited from a strait upward shot.

* Platforming sections sections kinda janky

* Parts when you fall down and can't see what's below you always have a ton of shit below and you are bound to get hit unless you memorized everything

* When walking off an edge you don't fall straight down but more towards the right. It made some parts kinda awkward because enemies could be placed in the right spots because of this

* Stage 5 kinda a letdown compared to the rest of the stages

Overall I'd give it a 9/10 for an NES game and a recommendation.

I totally get the complaint about not being able to shoot up, an aspect of many NES-era games that drives me a bit cray cray.

Top Bottom