• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I just eat undercooked Salmon?

I cook salmon somewhat often, and I usually do it medium rare. I'm assuming every piece of store-bought salmon I encounter was frozen at some point.

Isn't harmful bacteria only really an major concern if you catch a whole, live salmon to clean and cook yourself? I mean, I'm sure most of us here have eaten "raw" salmon before, although that's been treated by flash freezing it in most cases.

Buy one of these and take the worry out of cooking fish or any other meat:

pFaaQdF.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021AEAG2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

rudger

It sounds like you're used to overcooked salmon. I haaate over cooked salmon. Leave it pink in the middle. i rarely eat salmon out cause everybody overdoes it. Plus as has been mentioned, as long as it was once frozen it should be fine. Remember, people eat raw salmon all the time.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It wasn't frozen when I bought it, I got it from a Japanese market, it was just refrigerated. I'm wondering if I was supposed to freeze it first? Or do they normally do that before putting it out to sell?

It wasn't frozen when I bought it, I got it from a Japanese market, it was just refrigerated. I'm wondering if I was supposed to freeze it first? Or do they normally do that before putting it out to sell?

In all likelihood it was shipped frozen and arrived at the store frozen, and then thawed and put in the display case. If it's a Japanese store they're more likely to know the "do's and don'ts" of handling "raw" fish.

Do you live anywhere where they'd catch salmon? If not, I'm pretty sure it was frozen at some point.

Drek

Buy one of these and take the worry out of cooking fish or any other meat:

pFaaQdF.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021AEAG2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
That'd be a horrible way to tell if your fish is done as many fish fillets are too thin and even "instant" read thermometers can take too long to give an accurate reading relative to the cook time of a delicate piece of fish, not to mention all the calibration issues low cost instant reads have.

Eric Ripert (head chef of Le Bernardin, probably the best seafood restaurant in the US) suggests a thin metal skewer you poke into the fish for 3-4 seconds, then place it just below your lower lip or on the back of your hand. The temperature you feel is basically the temperature of the fish. Is that the temp you want the inside of your food to be while eating it (warm but not burning hot)? Good, take it out of the pan.

People eat salmon raw all the time, the risks are pretty damn low even if not frozen.

Tigress

SMH at all the people saying its ok if it was frozen

Freezing fish ruins it because the moisture turns to ice, which damages the flesh

Fresh or bust

That's why sushi grade fish is expensive cause they have to do a special type of freezing that doesn't do that... but if you don't want parasites (especially from salmon who are prone to have these worms that like to infect seals but will make you sick if you get them, not sure about other fish), you want your fish frozen first if you are going to eat it raw. Edit: Correction, after looking it up it's certain kinds of fishes that this is a problem with (I know salmon and apparently some others).

Fresh and not frozen may be fine if you are cooking it. This is just if you are going to make sushi out of it.

Also: http://www.takepart.com/article/2015/07/29/raw-fish-around-world

SMH at all the people saying its ok if it was frozen

Freezing fish ruins it because the moisture turns to ice, which damages the flesh

Fresh or bust

unless you're buying it from some fishers that go and get the product themselves, good odds that the "fresh" fish you're eating was frozen the moment it was caught.

Holy shit! A toilet with a viewing shelf? Where can I get one?

Find any sufficiently old(before 1990 usually) toilet in Austria, and it has that. "Flachspüler", it's called.

Pros: Easy to take samples, check for parasites, and so on. Still popular in Hospitals I believe.
It's gonna smell much worse than the usual toilets, though.

I think they were popular because of parasites being much more common back in the day.

Anyway, I'm sure you can find them if you really want them.

Top Bottom