• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grizzly Bear releases new song "Three Rings"

see5harp

I want a healthy dose of Daniel Rossen. I actually enjoyed the Department of Eagles In Ear Park album more than I liked Shields. e Amber Coffman solo.

Really like the first single. Second one doesn't hit off on my first listen.

Did they ever say why the album is only 7.99. For some reason that just seems off. Album has 11 tracks so I'm not concerned with length but seems strange.

Can't wait till august. This is just what I need this year along with fleet foxes.

see5harp

This is probably my favorite of the "indie rock throwback" albums. The vocals and guitars are holy shit beautiful. I really hope they get a Coachella spot next year.

I didn't know the full album was out, that's great. Three Rings is one of my favorite songs of the year, but they've got a hard task topping Shields or even Veckatimist.

see5harp

Sky Took Hold is awesome. I didn't know people considered Shields better than Vecktimest though. Veckatimest was them at the peak of their powers.

megalowho

Wasn't sure what to expect but ended up captivated by the new album front to back. Nuanced and mature songwriting with pleasing hooks and harmonies when called for. Drums are a highlight throughout, the outro on Aquarian is magic and I'm hearing some Steely Dan vibes on Glass Hillside. Keeps getting better the more I listen, agreed it's my favorite of the indie aughts comeback albums released this year.

Systole's opening was amazing especially considering the juxtaposition with the rest of the album but the full song was kinda disappointing. Overall the album is solid, not as good as their last two but I'm sure it'll grow on me like all music.

It's a good album but I feel the arrangement of tracks is kinda all over the place. I'm going to move songs around for it to flow better.

Damerman

Sky Took Hold is awesome. I didn't know people considered Shields better than Vecktimest though. Veckatimest was them at the peak of their powers.
As much of a fan as i am of veckatimest, shields(post bonus tracks) is peak music period.

Veckatimest was indeed amazing but Sleeping Ute and Sun In Your Eyes are both 11/10 songs and having a god-tier opener and closer is pretty hard to match. But I'm also a drummer and felt Shields put more of a focus on percussion than Veckatimest so I could be biased.
Wasn't sure what to expect but ended up captivated by the new album front to back. Nuanced and mature songwriting with pleasing hooks and harmonies when called for. Drums are a highlight throughout, the outro on Aquarian is magic and I'm hearing some Steely Dan vibes on Glass Hillside. Keeps getting better the more I listen, agreed it's my favorite of the indie aughts comeback albums released this year.
Glass Hillside is my least favorite song on the album unfortunately, it's really the only one that I probably won't bother re-listening to much. I get the vibe they were going for but it kinda fell flat for me, I like the instrumental in the chorus at least.

Servbot24

Banned
Painted Ruins is easily their best work imo. The other ones never really hit with me but this one sounds like something more special.

HotHamBoy

This is a good album.

Really good.

Glass Hillside is my least favorite song on the album unfortunately, it's really the only one that I probably won't bother re-listening to much. I get the vibe they were going for but it kinda fell flat for me, I like the instrumental in the chorus at least.

Really? I like that song...

On repeat listens I've found the album is pretty great front to back.

I re-arranged 1st half of album in this order and I like it WAY MORE. Second half is perfect as is IMO.

1. Wasted Acres
2. Losing All Sense
3. Cut-Out
4. Three Rings
5. Mourning Sound
6. Aquarian
7. Four Cypresses
8. Glass Hillside
9. Neighbors
10. Systole
11. Sky Took Hold

Newline

Been listening to it on vinyl, got about 12 plays in so far... I'm gunna rate the tracks from favourite to least favourite:

1: Three Rings
2: Four Cypresses
3: Sky Took Hold
4: Aquarian
5: Losing All Sense
6: Wasted Acres
7: Systole
8: Mourning Sound
9: Neighbors
10: Cut-Out
11: Glass Hillside

As for ranking the album i'm gunna put it behind Shields and Veck, it's still an incredibly good album though. Excited to see them in October at the brixton academy!

HotHamBoy

I think I've listened to this album at least 5 times since Monday.

For me, this is as good as their last two even if it doesn't necessarily have a lot of bangers.

Losing All Sense is so good.

Top Bottom