• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Geass is the most anime of all the anime and still a great watch (spoiler free)

I hope this guy, Ohgi gets retconned into having a terrible fate.
Kaname-Ohgi-Code-Geass-12.jpg

A complete idiot
traitor responsible for bringing down the Black Knights in Season 1 and betraying Lelouch AGAIN in R2 who gets off scot-free and lives happily ever after with Viletta.

Kid Ying

it looks so violent and painful too. scene just came out of nowhere, I think i cried laughing when i first saw it.

Death Note couldn't hold Code Geass' drawers on its best day.
Yep. The comparisons with death note are a disservice in my opinion. I remember when It started some people were calling geass to be death note with robots and that made me stay away from it for quite some time, since i find death note to be a convoluted mess.

JohnDoe

Banned
Death Note couldn't hold Code Geass' drawers on its best day.

Ehhhhh idk.

Code Geass Season 1 << Death Note Season 1
Code Geass Season 2 > Death Note Season 2

Although Code Geass has a waaaaaaaay better ending. I find it hard to choose between them. I like Death Note's artstyle way more though.

I just finished this series a couple of days ago and thought it was great.

The only thing that really bothered me was the
first use of the F.L.E.I.J.A.
that did accomplish much of anything, and it just kind of overlooked the death of 35 million people.

Didn't know season three was coming out, but I'm stoked.

TrounceX

Every single episode felt like it ended on the most absurd and crazy cliff hanger imaginable.

Say what you want about the actual show's story and characters, but the actual pacing and structure was pretty damn good TV.

Exactly. Code Geass is just good dumb fun. My friend and I were losing our minds over all the ridiculous cliff hangers and plot twists. I feel a bit sad for those who can't turn their brains off for 20 minutes and just enjoy the ride. It's an anime, it doesn't need to be analyzed to every detail.

The ending is what really sets the show over the top and earned the 10 from me. One of the best endings ever, I don't even care if you hated the show, you have to admit that ending was good.

Nunnally's scream over Lelouch's dead body is straight up heart wrenching. Genuinely hard to listen to. Then that ending some comes in.... damn, so good. Too bad the Eng dub ruined this part

blackflag

I don't really watch much anime but I got hooked on Code Geass. It was so fun plus I love mechs.

The only other anime I've been able to watch for the whole series is TTGL.

I love Code Geass even when it has some outright awful and dumb moments.

Although honestly the character I feel the most sorry for in the end is Shirley.
Shes that cheesey schoolgirl romance you see in so many other animes but because the target of her affection is lulu she gets fucked over so badly. She loses her father and the one killed him was lulu although unintentionally. Then she has her mind fucked with by Mao and finds out who Lulu really is only to start to accept things when lulu decides that she'd be better off not knowing him and uses his Geass on her. Then you have to watch her oddly interact with everyone who thinks they're fighting when she doesn't remember him and she is royally confused, only to find a note she herself made trying to come to terms with everything which makes her super suspicious of him for the rest of the first season although nothing ultimately happens...

Well except between R1 and R2 the Emperor fucks with her mind again (as well as other people but shes the one whos already had her mind screwed with multiple times already) implanting fake memories into her and seeming to give her a normal life and she falls in love with Lulu again anyway! Which is then ruined by Orange-kun who has an ungeassing thing which removes all the previous mind wipes shes had...

She is put into a situation where everything and everyone around her is a lie, and you know what, despite all of that fuckery she still loves Lulu anyway and decides that she wants to support him... Then shes then confronted by Rollo and killed by him when she unknowingly says the wrong fucking thing. Also seriously fuck Rollo, R2 is worse in every way by his existence.

Just Jesus Christ its like the writers wanted to think of as many ways as they could to fuck her over again and again. She is honestly the only truly tragic character in the show. Not Lulu, Not nunally, suzaku, any of the royal family, any of the black knights, ect. no, its Shirley in the end who gets screwed over by everyone and DESPITE all of that happening to her she still wants to believe in the person she loves. I think the most revealing thing about her character is that during her death is that Lulu desperate to save her and uses his Geass on her again ordering her not to die (which if you remember his Geass whatever order he gives the subject has to obey) and the only way she can obey is by saying every time shes reborn she will keep falling in love with him. Her devotion to him is real, she is truly his soulmate and even in death wants to give him what she seeks in any way she can, order or not.

It is hands down my favorite and least favorite scene in the show. I hate what happens to her because I think she is such a good character. So many people ultimately are using each other and lying to each other in this series and all she wants to do is give Lulu a relationship that isn't a lie. I really think that R2 ultimately starts going downhill after this part even though I absolutely loved that Orange-kun joins Lelouche at this point and freaking Crispen Freeman does an amazing job with the role in the dub. I still get upset whenever I rewatch her death scene because she was such a well fleshed out character that had truly gone through a great arc of development over the course of both series.

JCG

I am always amused by how, even though this particular thread is new, we continue to see living proof of just how polarizing this show can be. It's either brilliant or a trainwreck, period, with the most vocal reactions often jumping over the vast middle ground that exists between the two sides.

Needless to say, there are some degrees of exaggeration in both extremes, whether we're speaking of flaws or virtues, but beyond the realm of the subjective an unquestionable fact remains: Code Geass is a lot of different things to many different people. It can be crass, cheesy and messy, no doubt, subject to both intentional self-parody and external mockery through memes, yet also has enough contents full of interesting material and actual themes, which can even produce an effective emotional impact from time to time. In the final analysis, the success of the show owes nearly as much to its legitimate achievements as to its nature as a wild rollercoaster.

At a glance, it's easy to imagine that it shouldn't hold together. For some people, it never can and never could. Denying the existence of such an opinion would be silly. Yet, when all is said and done, it also can't be denied that it does work for many others. Which suggests there is plenty of madness, yes, but also a method to the same.

Trying to truly understand that sort of riddle can be hard without reading up on the show's production to get a good grasp of what the staff intended or thought about what they were doing. Most people never go that far and, frankly, I don't blame them. There's no such obligation.

Once you do take a look down the rabbit hole, it emerges that the series was intentionally made in a very theatrical, melodramatic and even quasi-farcical style, which is why the end result has incorporated plenty of elements from soap opera in addition to some TV serial trappings. Entertainment, not sophistication nor perfect form, was the main goal right from the beginning. The director readily acknowledges as much and also refers to how his role had to change for this production. Paraphrasing him, the director accepted many diverse and wacky ideas from the rest of the staff, primarily for the sake of having fun and bringing wide appeal, while his main task was to make sure there was a central core that could serve as an anchor. In a few words, you could say the staff always knew where they were headed, at the end of the day, but the details of how to get there were unusually malleable.

During R2, they had to modify their plans for the initial episodes in order to open up the show to new viewers, wasting some time and loosening up the links a little too much in the process, but after all the twists and turns they still circled back around to the scheduled conclusion, which is why the ending feels so appropriate. Way more than you'd expect from a show that could feel random and chaotic on the surface. Where are they going with the upcoming sequel? I have no idea, but there's still a lot of directions they could pick from.

wallotext

Shirley was the closest person in the story to being an innocent besides Rivalz. By the end everyone had blood on their hands, even Nunnally. Shirley truly got the worst out of everyone. She literally lost everything, arguably multiple times.

Ventara

Yup. It was the first anime I watched after I found out what anime actually is, Death Note being the second. Those two shows will always have a place in my top lists. Having said that, season 3 is gonna ruin everything.

JCG

Having said that, season 3 is gonna ruin everything.

I think it is best to maintain low expectations and see what happens. That way, we can minimize the risks and maximize any rewards. Having said this, they are making three recap movies first...which are confirmed to contain new contents, so those will presumably hint at whatever "S3" is going to do.

Cyanity

Banned
Totally agree with you, OP. I've been rewatching it for the past couple of days and it's still good as ever.

I'm gonna miss all the Pizza Hut shilling though

OrionX

Wait they're doing a third season?! :D

It's been forever since I watched it but I remember loving it. The stakes always felt high and there was always crazy dramatic shit happening. It was like anime Game of Thrones for me lol.

Linkark07

Banned

A complete idiot
traitor responsible for bringing down the Black Knights in Season 1 and betraying Lelouch AGAIN in R2 who gets off scot-free and lives happily ever after with Viletta.

If Lelouch at least had trusted his top Black Knight advisors in R2, including Ohgi,
many of the events that happened later could have been avoided.

Astral

Some of the twists were bullshit.
"Lol for real tho, if I ordered you to kill all the Japanese you'd totally do it." Why would even joke like that?
He could have used any other example to explain Geass. It was so forced.

Some of the twists were bullshit.
"Lol for real tho, if I ordered you to kill all the Japanese you'd totally do it." Why would even joke like that?
He could have used any other example to explain Geass. It was so forced.

Yes it was, honestly a better twist would have actually have been
Euphie had been assassinated by someone while talking to Lelouche and then because of that the Britannia forces open fire, blaming the Black Knights and Zero. Ultimately things end up playing out the same way just less stupid. Perhaps Lelouche could have video of him never harming Euphie which he shows to the black knights to prove he was set up.

Hell you could've made V.V. the assassin since he shows up to explains hit to Suzaku anyway.

Hell a lot of different things would have worked if R2 had actually been planned out ahead of time but from what I understand between R1 and R2 a lot of staff changes happened including writers, remember hearing something like that as it was originally airing but not sure exactly what happened but R2 was originally going to be very different then what we ultimately got.

Hexa

Definitely my favorite anime, and I doubt it'll change. It was just amazing in every way. Only half hyped for season 3 though, because Akito was terrible. Next up, recap movies.

Verelios

A complete idiot
Even in a series with Spinzaku, he competed for most hated, this guy is pure scum. Every re-watch gets my blood boiling and apparently no one know how hypocritical his ass is because poof.

Luigi87

Even in a series with Spinzaku, he competed for most hated, this guy is pure scum. Every re-watch gets my blood boiling and apparently no one know how hypocritical his ass is because poof.

Rolo was the worst, but then Ohgi manages to one-up him for being the worst.

Honestly,
the fact that every senior member of the black knights betrayed zero based on intel from the enemy leader without even trying to talk to zero first bothered me

Honestly,
the fact that every senior member of the black knights betrayed zero based on intel from the enemy leader without even trying to talk to zero first bothered me

Well to be fair I'd personally be pretty unwilling to talk to someone who seemed to have the power to control peoples minds, enemy intel or not.

silva1991

One of the only few 10/10 animes for me alongside with Death Note and FMA:B.

I feel like watching it for the third time.

TissueBox

Almost all of the main characters in Code Geass are hypocrites tbh -- but I'm pretty sure that's what the whole morality play approach tries to address.

Luigi87

Honestly,

Yeah...
Considering they made little to no headway prior to Zero and then go and betray him made them seem like ingrates to me.

qcf x2

One of my favorite series. As far as pure entertainment it's in the upper echelon, IMO.
And it had one of the greatest endings of all time, so I am NOT looking forward to S3.

Kasumin

Every single episode felt like it ended on the most absurd and crazy cliff hanger imaginable.

I remember following the series as it was airing back in the day. Toward the end of Season 2, things were nuts in fandom. Everyone would flip their shit (understandably) at the end of each episode. There were all kinds of crazy theories flying around. Heck, I think there were even some fake screenshots.

I actually fell out of anime not that long after finishing Code Geass. I think part of it was (aside from major changes in my life that meant I had less free time) a sense that no other anime would ever top Code Geass or the experience of watching the last few episodes of Season 2. It was just nuts.

I was watching the dub quite awhile ago... guess it's time to start up again!

Linkark07

Banned
Well, let's look at the bright side: despite Code Geass having shitty characters like Ohgi, Rolo, Spinzaku or Nina, we also got awesome characters like Orange-kun.

Eusis

bcUPdcr.gif

This is probably the sort of anime that Miyazaki would despise. That's what makes it so amazing, lol.
He'd probably just regard it similarly to cheap pulp or something. It's not THAT bad.

That Berserk CGI anime and its animations on the other hand...

RedSwirl

There is a point in Season 2 where I feel like they just stopped giving a fuck. Looking back, it's actually surprising they managed to wrap it up so well after that.

Usually the longer a series goes on, the more likely you'll see the constraints on budget in action scenes. Off model characters, half frame rate battles, cheaper cgi animation, recycled footage, etc.

Compare Gundam Seed Destiny which is also Sunrise, also mech combat, and also 50 episodes which came out around the same time.

Tamanon

Banned
The mech combat was great. That final fight between
Kallen and Suzaku
had some outstanding parts.

Also loved all the Knightmare designs. Still, even if it's cheesy, it's my favorite anime. Can rewatch it infinitely, and hopeful for a good Season 3.

That ending seen though......I thought it was handled perfectly.

I loved the series because the main character was a villain. I thought, "this is too good to be true, they are going to mess it up somehow" and they did, but I had enjoyed the show so much that I forgave it. Now if only someone can make an anime where the main character is a villain all the way through and pull no punches...

Linkark07

Banned
I loved the series because the main character was a villain. I thought, "this is too good to be true, they are going to mess it up somehow" and they did, but I had enjoyed the show so much that I forgave it. Now if only someone can make an anime where the main character is a villain all the way through and pull no punches...

What? Who is the villain? Lelouch did bad things, but in the end, his intentions were noble (although selfish; he basically did everything for Nunnally). And while Spinzaku was awful, his intentions were good too.

Death Note? Light is an unrepentant asshole with a God complex the entire time.

What? Who is the villain? Lelouch did bad things, but in the end, his intentions were noble (although selfish; he basically did everything for Nunnally). And while Spinzaku was awful, his intentions were good too.

That's what I'm talking about. He started off a villain and then over the course of the story they made him a hero. The story is good but I kinda want a main character be a bad guy just as a change of pace. Everyone is always the good guy.

JCG

That's what I'm talking about. He started off a villain and then over the course of the story they made him a hero. The story is good but I kinda want a main character be a bad guy just as a change of pace. Everyone is always the good guy.

I wouldn't really put it that way. In my opinion, it's almost literally following the idea that "every villain is a hero of his own story" and thus it can hardly be argued that Lelouch ever truly thought of himself as a villain. It is still a story told from the side of someone who qualifies as a villain in the eyes of the world though, especially during the last arc.

Light was more of an inherently evil villain, and arguably more intelligent, but I also found him less interesting as a character/person.

But he's never portrayed as a villian. Brittania from the first episode is portrayed as a villian. Lulu is just portrayed as an 'ends justify the means' character.

Top Bottom