• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forrest Gump is the best movie.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've never turned on a movie so hard.
It's great if you don't think about any of it at all.

Forrest Gump is a movie that I fell completely out of love with as I got older. Its basically a love letter to a fictionalized Conservative viewpoint of America.

And its pretty fucking racist and sexist and anti-liberal too.

Crayon

Forrest Gump is a movie that I fell completely out of love with as I got older. Its basically a love letter to a fictionalized Conservative viewpoint of America.

As its pretty fucking racist and sexist and anti-liberal too.

Yeah I get this too. I don't instantly recoil from that or anything, but I do find it distracting now and I do resent how I didn't realize it until I had already seen it 50 times as a kid and young adult.

This is a highly unpopular opinion on GAF.

I agree with you.

Sanjuro

I've never turned on a movie so hard.
It's great if you don't think about any of it at all.

yJtQ4KU.gif

JettDash

There are probably characters that are racist (to be expected given the time period and that Forrest is from Alabama) but Forrest is not one of them.

Velcro Fly

The juxtaposition between what is for sure a racist society during that time and place and a guy like Forrest Gump who is sweet and naive and innocent is almost the entire point of the movie.

Crayon

There are probably characters that are racist (to be expected given the time period and that Forrest is from Alabama) but Forrest is not one of them.

Damn straight. Forrest is "colorblind". Another virtue he claims by way just not over thinking things.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Lieutenant Dan tells Forest to make a left in the shrimp boat.

Forrest takes a right.

"Your other left"

LOL

That joke is probably thousands of years old.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I bet the gaf pseudo intellectuals will come in here to tell us it's a bad movie, but fuck em, it's an all time classic. When Forrest asks if his son is like him, gets me every time.

Draper

Neogaf ™️

Shadybiz

It IS a great movie; have seen it many times. Tom Hanks...what can I say...he just basically kills it in whatever role he plays.

It's embarrassing....the amount of times I've seen both "Big" and "The 'Burbs."

The juxtaposition between what is for sure a racist society during that time and place and a guy like Forrest Gump who is sweet and naive and innocent is almost the entire point of the movie.

This. One of the most recurring things within the movie is watching Forrest get taken advantage of by shithead people due to his completely innocent and naive nature. Parts that seem racist were assuredly meant to be racist to further this point of an innocent man who doesn't know any better living in a troubled and non-innocent society.

Snaku

Banned
If we're talking simpleton protagonist films, you're close, but Ernest Scared Stupid is by far the better film.

img_6455c3smq.gif

No Forrest is actually to most racist part of the movie! Not Forrest himself but how he is depicted in the move. Basically Forrest was a way to sanitize the Black experience and sometime the Black peoples achievements for white audiences.

Black people being lynched? We'll just put a white face on those victims
Black men dominating in football and other sports? That becomes more palatable with a nice white face
Didn't Elvis basically still his style from Black people? Nope,it was a little white kid he ripped off.

Hell even the people that actually reported the Watergate break-ins was black. They gave that to Forrest Too

Don't even get me started on how this movie treats woman.

Crayon

It IS a great movie; have seen it many times. Tom Hanks...what can I say...he just basically kills it in whatever role he plays.

It's embarrassing....the amount of times I've seen both "Big" and "The 'Burbs."

ermaguurd I've seen big so many times.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Did you watch that Cracked video too? They literally put Forrest in place of a bunch of black people. Among other things.

I mean I still like the movie but I’ll never think of it the same way. It’s also been over a decade since I’ve actually seen it.

Top Bottom