• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcosis - Deep Sea Horror Game releasing on March 28th; gets new Trailer/Screens

^Keep trying please!

Okay figured it out - computers are hard. Here's some stuff - screens and unlockable art - we haven't shared elsewhere (to the best of my knowledge). Enjoy!

HP7nKNU.jpg

O9o0M3W.jpg

LqAJdxu.png

Jackpot

Banned
It's a really boring walking simulator with jump puzzles. I doubt I'm going to finish it but the upcoming twist/reveal seems incredibly obvious.

Haganeren

ss_57cbea17f19e2973db620c9ce8a741afa0468a35.600x338.jpg

So ! As one of the developers of the game, i have seen a lot of positive review from Steam, some less good on metacritic, i would love to hear what GAF would say about it !

I would hate this game. Always despised water levels in games. Swimming is boring.

Well... It's more "walking underwater and feeling the weight of the ocean" than "swimming" in it. What we want to do is some kind of claustrophobic experience so we thought it worked well with that setting.

Wulfegang

I played this game in VR with my Vive and loved it! It felt a lot more claustrophobic than I thought it would. I also love that when you look around, you look around inside of your helmet since that is what would really happen instead of looking around the environment. I streamed this and had a friend question the lack of strafing but then he realized, there's no way you can strafe in those suits.
I also really like the sound design. The creaking of the metal underwater gives it nice atmosphere. Also, the lack of sound adds to the isolation and makes it even creepier.
My only complaint is I wish the faces of the other divers were more human like rather than reminding me of store mannequins. Admittedly I hate store mannequins and they creep me out but not in this situation.
Overall I really enjoyed the game and think it makes a nice compliment to my Vive collection.

Haganeren

I played this game in VR with my Vive and loved it! It felt a lot more claustrophobic than I thought it would. I also love that when you look around, you look around inside of your helmet since that is what would really happen instead of looking around the environment. I streamed this and had a friend question the lack of strafing but then he realized, there's no way you can strafe in those suits.
I also really like the sound design. The creaking of the metal underwater gives it nice atmosphere. Also, the lack of sound adds to the isolation and makes it even creepier.
My only complaint is I wish the faces of the other divers were more human like rather than reminding me of store mannequins. Admittedly I hate store mannequins and they creep me out but not in this situation.
Overall I really enjoyed the game and think it makes a nice compliment to my Vive collection.

Ah ah, love to hear about it... The game was a student project at first and yeah, the lack of strafe was one of the feature i really wanted to "include". I think that's one of those thing that really "put the impression of controlling a very heavy suit".

I was really afraid of negative comment about it at the time and some people in the team even were quite skeptical but in the end... Well, we heard about some bad stuff in our game of course but very rarely is the lack of strafe mentioned which made me really happy... It seems a lot of people just "doesn't notice it".

Yeah for the face of the corpses... They were "kinda fine" when we started the game but as it took a lot of time before being released, they aren't exactly "up to date" indeed unfortunatly... That's the problem with a realistic setting (especially as a little studio), everything evolve to fast that it's really hard to keep up... I think for our next game (if this one works well enough), we will try to do more stylized graphics to avoid this kind of problem.

Oh wow, not even a day prior I was lamenting the lack of a game like this existing as my "dream game". I'm going to have to pick this up for sure, what a crazy coincidence.

Dreams - and occasionally nightmares - do come true.
Narcosis just shipped for Xbox One yesterday, so in the spirit of sharing, here are a few keys - first come, first served.
As expected, it's definitely been a struggle to get noticed, but the few folks who've played it are by and large digging on the atmosphere and narrative. Hope you'll have a chance to check it out, and share your thoughts...

CmFxHDN.png

Xbox keys:
  • KCW3P-F3CVX-DVPRF-HPFMR-RTGQZ
  • TDHM7-X2YG3-JW6DK-2JTHM-JX2FZ
  • 6DW42-XCDYP-2J9VG-RPGCD-HV7RZ

Steam keys:
  • E7EC8-J42AT-2K3T6
  • MWCNW-ZKK4Y-M48T5
  • X9N4L-YVZ7E-NKWF2

lem0n

Narcosis just shipped for Xbox One yesterday, so in the spirit of sharing, here are a few keys - first come, first served.
As expected, it's definitely been a struggle to get noticed, but the few folks who've played it are by and large digging on the atmosphere and narrative. Hope you'll have a chance to check it out, and share your thoughts...

CmFxHDN.png

Xbox keys:

Steam keys:
  • E7EC8-J42AT-2K3T6
  • MWCNW-ZKK4Y-M48T5
  • X9N4L-YVZ7E-NKWF2

I got the last Steam one. Thank you so much!!

OldMuffin

CmFxHDN.png

Xbox keys:

Steam keys:
  • E7EC8-J42AT-2K3T6
  • MWCNW-ZKK4Y-M48T5
  • X9N4L-YVZ7E-NKWF2
Just a heads up, but before anyone else tries it seems all the X1 codes have already been redeemed.

E-flux

From the trailer it seemed like it was influenced by lovecraft, is the influence just skin deep or does it go deeper?

From the trailer it seemed like it was influenced by lovecraft, is the influence just skin deep or does it go deeper?

No, we decided early on that we wanted to try and steer clear of a lot of horror game tropes: no zombies, no rogue AIs, no eldritch horrors, and "good vs. evil" doesn't factor in at all - we like to say it's a game about mortality, not morality.

In fact, other than the premise (a deep sea mining facility), almost all of the game is rooted in reality - the hardware, the terminology, even the stuff they're mining. Of course we had to take a few liberties with the fauna in terms of size and aggressiveness (because: videogames) - and there are several hallucinatory sequences - but by and large, the narrative and premise are more inspired by non-fictional survival stories like Touching the Void or 127 Hours, than other horror games/movies/books...

(hopefully that's not too much of a disappointment to you!)

Looks like the kind of game I would enjoy - any plans for a PS4 release in the future?

Sadly, no. Of the many missteps we made along the way, that was probably the biggest. We have the dev kits, but we're a tiny team, and had to outsource console development to a friend, who was more comfortable tackling Xbox first. We'd love to bring it to PS4, but we really have to see how things shake out with Steam/Oculus/Xbox, first... And, to be honest, it's not looking great. Hundreds of thousands of people are tuning in to watch (and enjoy) the game on YouTube and Twitch... and then moving on to the next thing.

On the plus side, we're getting a lot of love for the narrative/story elements of the game (and have heard from not a few folks who claim to have been brought to tears, at the end - seriously), but "positioning" it has been tough - some of the people who come in expecting a straight up scare-fest think it's boring, and (I suspect) a lot of the gamers who cherish narrative (a la Gone Home, Firewatch or Edith Finch) are kind of turned off by the "horror thing."

In any case, if any of this sounds up your alley - and you have a Steam account - PM me and I'm happy to send you a key. Honestly, while it's a bummer the game's not selling, would be an even bigger shame if no one actually played it...

E-flux

No, we decided early on that we wanted to try and steer clear of a lot of horror game tropes: no zombies, no rogue AIs, no eldritch horrors, and "good vs. evil" doesn't factor in at all - we like to say it's a game about mortality, not morality.

In fact, other than the premise (a deep sea mining facility), almost all of the game is rooted in reality - the hardware, the terminology, even the stuff they're mining. Of course we had to take a few liberties with the fauna in terms of size and aggressiveness (because: videogames) - and there are several hallucinatory sequences - but by and large, the narrative and premise are more inspired by non-fictional survival stories like Touching the Void or 127 Hours, than other horror games/movies/books...

(hopefully that's not too much of a disappointment to you!)

A lot of the horror of Lovecraft is also psychological, it's not all about the tentacle monsters. I'm personally not that much into horror games anymore, but given that this has VR support and is actually out, unlike so many other vr games on steam, it's definitely back on my list.

Jaraghan

Totally forgot about this game. I was sad when I originally read this thread and saw the XB1 release was March, and then the date came around and it didn't release.

Definitely picking this up this weekend. Love the premise.

Donuts

So ! As one of the developers of the game, i have seen a lot of positive review from Steam, some less good on metacritic, i would love to hear what GAF would say about it !

I played this at indiecade last year and loved the atmosphere and where it was going. My big gripe with the game is the combat seems fairly "meh," because it's so simple. Wait for the fish thing to go for ya, swipe the knife. Rinse repeat. I dunno what I would even want in that spot, and you may have changed it already, and that may be like 10% of the encounters, but I just thought that aspect was boring.

A lot of the horror of Lovecraft is also psychological, it's not all about the tentacle monsters. I'm personally not that much into horror games anymore, but given that this has VR support and is actually out, unlike so many other vr games on steam, it's definitely back on my list.

Absolutely true; and for sure we tried to tap into a little of the more surreal/bad-trip vibe. I guess the distinction I was (poorly) trying to make is that nothing in the game is truly "supernatural." It's more Twilight Zone, than Twilight.

Out of curiosity, what VR hardware do you have/use?

Is this out on Xbox One? Can't seem to find it on the store (Australia)

Hey sorry if you're having trouble. Something went wrong on Xbox's backend, so the game's been rolling out across territories slowly, starting yesterday. Hope you have a chance to play it, and even better, enjoy it.

I played this at indiecade last year and loved the atmosphere and where it was going. My big gripe with the game is the combat seems fairly "meh," because it's so simple. Wait for the fish thing to go for ya, swipe the knife. Rinse repeat. I dunno what I would even want in that spot, and you may have changed it already, and that may be like 10% of the encounters, but I just thought that aspect was boring.

Yep, totally valid sentiment. To be honest, we struggled from the start with the combat/exploration ratio. We never set out to make an action game, but at the same time needed to break up the exploration/survival with some excitement. And coming up with "realistic," natural creatures that could (barely) plausibly hurt the player wasn't easy, either. But yeah, for sure could have used a little/lot more variety in the enemies and their behaviors, but if you have a chance to play the game, I suspect you'll agree that the combat's not the core...

Mdk7

It's a shame it's not selling, I love the abyss as a setting (it's simply fucking terrifying, also because it's real) and your attitude as a developer is really admirable.
I will definitely buy it, on Xbox One because I don't have a PC.

Just a question: how long is the game (I hope it's on the short side, as I don't have much time to play lately)

Just a question: how long is the game (I hope it's on the short side, as I don't have much time to play lately)

Heh, you're in luck. We expected it to be a 4-5 hour experience, but - much to our chagrin - a lot of folks are wrapping it up in less. That said, there are a ton of easter eggs and hidden bits stashed away in the game, which - so far - few folks have picked up on. One big one, in particular, involves the soundtrack...

Whoa, hadn't heard of this game till now, but it's hitting all kinds of right notes for me. Definitely going to check it out soon. Bummed to hear about the sales though :(

Nemesis_

Hey sorry if you're having trouble. Something went wrong on Xbox's backend, so the game's been rolling out across territories slowly, starting yesterday. Hope you have a chance to play it, and even better, enjoy it.

I bought this shitty ass game called Anoxemia thinking it was this months ago on Xbox, so annoyed. Glad this is finally hitting our territory and will be grabbing it the moment I fly home :)

NewGame

Banned
Looks way too colourful, lots of cramped spaces.

The visuals that the deep brings to us, the fear that we feel is when we see the vast- the unknown- the every expanding ocean of blackness while we sit on our tiny island of ignorance.

tl;dr
Endless Ocean looks more scary than this.

Big Nikus

Looks way too colourful, lots of cramped spaces.

The visuals that the deep brings to us, the fear that we feel is when we see the vast- the unknown- the every expanding ocean of blackness while we sit on our tiny island of ignorance.

tl;dr
Endless Ocean looks more scary than this.

What a weird post...
It's just not the same goal at all.

I hope the game sells more. I'm gonna try to spread the word, some of my friends will be interested in it.

I must have missed all and every news/infos about this game, but now that I've seen it I'm very interested in it. I hope it doesn't do the same with the controls that Adrift did, I didn't really like that in VR at all. I love underwarter settings so I guess I'll have to try it!

Melchiah

On the plus side, we're getting a lot of love for the narrative/story elements of the game (and have heard from not a few folks who claim to have been brought to tears, at the end - seriously), but "positioning" it has been tough - some of the people who come in expecting a straight up scare-fest think it's boring, and (I suspect) a lot of the gamers who cherish narrative (a la Gone Home, Firewatch or Edith Finch) are kind of turned off by the "horror thing."

That sounds very intriguing. Is there run & hide type of gameplay elements in the game, like in SOMA and Outlast? Hopefully not, as I prefer exploration and puzzles in horror games that don't involve combat, like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter had.
EDIT: Just noticed few posts above, that it does have combat. I wonder how much of it is there?

Sadly, no. Of the many missteps we made along the way, that was probably the biggest. We have the dev kits, but we're a tiny team, and had to outsource console development to a friend, who was more comfortable tackling Xbox first. We'd love to bring it to PS4, but we really have to see how things shake out with Steam/Oculus/Xbox, first... And, to be honest, it's not looking great. Hundreds of thousands of people are tuning in to watch (and enjoy) the game on YouTube and Twitch... and then moving on to the next thing.

It's sad to hear there are no plans for PS4 release. I might consider buying it from Steam, eventhough I hate playing on my laptop, if it's the kind of horror game I'd enjoy.

E-flux

Absolutely true; and for sure we tried to tap into a little of the more surreal/bad-trip vibe. I guess the distinction I was (poorly) trying to make is that nothing in the game is truly "supernatural." It's more Twilight Zone, than Twilight.

Out of curiosity, what VR hardware do you have/use?

I'm using the vive, had it since it officially lauched. That thing might be one of the most durable peripherals i have owned. It's just shame that so many of the games or steam are basically tech demos or games that use stock assets that proper games just disappear from view.

OldMuffin

In any case, if any of this sounds up your alley - and you have a Steam account - PM me and I'm happy to send you a key. Honestly, while it's a bummer the game's not selling, would be an even bigger shame if no one actually played it...

Will try throwing some money your way for the x1 version soonish, you guys deserve it! :)

Nev

Banned
$19.99 for 4-5 hours is too much for me. Not that it isn't worth it, it's just that I don't mind waiting.

Will get it for Steam when on sale because it looks good even if it's maybe a bit too much SOMA.

I'm sorry it's not doing well but going for Xbox One instead of PS4 was console suicide. Brand loyalty or whatever when the other platform is selling 20+ million consoles and is more open to games like this is not the brightest idea and people shouldn't be surprised at the results.

j.rob

The concept is amazing...but also my worst nightmare at the same time and if I didn't have a phobia of the sea and sea creatures I would give this a shot, but I don't want to die thanks.

Top Bottom