• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Park Baseball 18 (OOTP18) - Official Thread and NeoGAF League

brentech

Sim: 4 days
Date: Dec 17, 2017
Notes: Ran the sim earlier, but just posting it now.
Tomorrow will be a 1 day sim to get us to the Rule 5 list. Day after is the draft.

Hi NeoGAF OOTP team!

I thought you'd be interested to know about a FiveThirtyEight.com piece about how the shift killed Ryan Howard's shot at the Hall of Fame.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ryan-howards-career-is-dead-the-shift-killed-it/

Also, wanted to let you know we stream an hour a week on Wednesday nights at 10 PM ET our Twitch page (Twitch.tv/ootpdevelopments) and we'd love to have you share your stories with us anytime.

Thanks for being OOTP fans!

Last edited:
Hi NeoGAF OOTP team!

Rich here from OOTP Developments. I thought you'd be interested to know we recently got included in a FiveThirtyEight.com piece about how the shift killed Ryan Howard's shot at the Hall of Fame.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ryan-howards-career-is-dead-the-shift-killed-it/

Also, wanted to let you know we stream an hour a week on Wednesday nights at 10 PM ET our Twitch page (Twitch.tv/ootpdevelopments) and we'd love to have you share your stories with us anytime.

Thanks for being OOTP fans!

That's a really cool article. I never put it together the impact the shift had on Ryan Howard.

norm9

That article was neat. As a fan of out of shape first basemen, I wonder how difficult it is to change your mechanics. I imagine impossible if even Tiger Woods wasn't able to.

On topic, I'm predicting a .500 season at best for the lowly Royals, which would be a at least 10 game improvement from last season, using promoted minor leaguers to shore up the gaping gaps.

That article was neat. As a fan of out of shape first basemen, I wonder how difficult it is to change your mechanics. I imagine impossible if even Tiger Woods wasn't able to.

On topic, I'm predicting a .500 season at best for the lowly Royals, which would be a at least 10 game improvement from last season, using promoted minor leaguers to shore up the gaping gaps.

Look up articles on players changing their swing plane to hit more fly balls. It seems it's easier than most thought (still insanely hard).

5mC5bfO.png

I don't understand why when I saw this image I assumed the game was on PC but I did.

Trade

Milwaukee sends:
LF Ryan Braun (GOBL)
2B Juan "Lizard" Lezada (MIL International Complex)

New York Yankees send:
3B Chase Headley (GOBL)

brentech

Sim: 1 day
Date: Dec 18, 2017
Notes: Tomorrow is the Rule 5 draft. After that we move to 7 day sims for a couple more days then up to 14 day sims until Spring Training.

To take a player in the rule 5 draft: GOBL -> RULE 5 DRAFT POOL -> DRAFT LIST -> Drag player to the list on the right.
Remember, they have to stay on your active roster if not on the disabled list.

Ughhhhhhhh... looks like some free agent signees ended up in the Rule 5 Draft Pool.

Nathan Eovaldi (Blue Jays), TJ House (Brewers) and Brandon Workman (Red Sox) really shouldn't be in this draft, along with Braun of course.

Also, Sergio Romo (Red Sox), maybe some others.

brentech

Ughhhhhhhh... looks like some free agent signees ended up in the Rule 5 Draft Pool.

Nathan Eovaldi (Blue Jays), TJ House (Brewers) and Brandon Workman (Red Sox) really shouldn't be in this draft, along with Braun of course.

Also, Sergio Romo (Red Sox), maybe some others.

Those players should be out of the pool, but for whatever reason when signed they weren't automatically added to the active + 40 man rosters. So whoever signed them needs to do so manually. In my experience they can still do so and will be protected for the draft tomorrow.

Was this a FA or someone that technically shouldn't have been listed? Or just someone you forgot to elevate?

He was a dude I had in AAA. Totally rule 5 eligible, I just forgot to put him on my 40 man until about 20 minutes before you posted that day's update. I assume you were working on the file and my upload just didn't take. I'm unsurprised. Not the first time that's happened to me, and probably won't be the last. Not that big of a deal.

Who was chosen?? Wont be home for awhile!

Chicago White Sox: Drafted C Chance Sisco in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 1, Pick 1, 1st overall Pick), from the Baltimore Orioles.
Milwaukee Brewers: Drafted RP Sean Reid-Foley in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 1, Pick 2, 2nd overall Pick), from the Toronto Blue Jays.
San Diego Padres: Drafted RF Justin Williams in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 1, Pick 6, 6th overall Pick), from the Tampa Bay Rays.
Tampa Bay Rays: Drafted C Andrew Knapp in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 1, Pick 8, 8th overall Pick), from the Philadelphia Phillies.
Toronto Blue Jays: Drafted RP Alejandro Chacin in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 1, Pick 10, 10th overall Pick), from the Cincinnati Reds.
Colorado Rockies: Drafted RF Aristides Aquino in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 1, Pick 11, 11th overall Pick), from the Cincinnati Reds.
Minnesota Twins: Drafted RP Pierce Johnson in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 1, Pick 12, 12th overall Pick), from the Chicago Cubs.
Philadelphia Phillies: Drafted 2B Rob Refsnyder in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 1, Pick 13, 13th overall Pick), from the New York Yankees.
Seattle Mariners: Drafted CL Jose Alvarado in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 1, Pick 14, 14th overall Pick), from the Tampa Bay Rays.
New York Yankees: Drafted CF Zack Granite in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 1, Pick 22, 22nd overall Pick), from the Minnesota Twins.
New York Mets: Drafted 3B Eric Jagielo in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 1, Pick 23, 23rd overall Pick), from the Cincinnati Reds.
Los Angeles Dodgers: Drafted SS Tyler Wade in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 1, Pick 25, 25th overall Pick), from the New York Yankees.
Washington Nationals: Drafted 1B Samir Duenez in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 1, Pick 29, 29th overall Pick), from the Kansas City Royals.
San Diego Padres: Drafted RP J.T. Chargois in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 2, Pick 6, 36th overall Pick), from the Minnesota Twins.
Toronto Blue Jays: Drafted SP Kevin Gadea in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 2, Pick 10, 40th overall Pick), from the Tampa Bay Rays.
Minnesota Twins: Drafted SP Jaime Schultz in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 2, Pick 12, 42nd overall Pick), from the Tampa Bay Rays.
Philadelphia Phillies: Drafted RP Andrew McKirahan in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 2, Pick 13, 43rd overall Pick), from the Cincinnati Reds.
New York Mets: Drafted 2B Shedric Long in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 2, Pick 23, 53rd overall Pick), from the Cincinnati Reds.
Minnesota Twins: Drafted RP Mike Clevinger in the 2017 Rule 5 Draft (Round 3, Pick 12, 72nd overall Pick), from the Chicago Cubs.

TRADE!

Tampa Bay sends:
3B Evan Longoria (GOBL)
LF Corey Dickerson (GOBL)

Los Angeles Angels sends:
3B Jefry Marte (GOBL)
RF Keith Holcombe (AA Mobile)
SP Chris Rodriguez (A+ Inland Empire)
C Matt Oldham (R-AZL LA-A)
SP Juan Uvalle (LAA International Complex)

TRADE!

Tampa Bay sends:
3B Evan Longoria (GOBL)

3B Jefry Marte (GOBL)

Confirmed

brentech

Sim: 7 Day
Date: Dec 25, 2017
Notes:

They got gutted. I think next year let's take a look at teams that haven't updated in awhile and protect their more obvious prospects.

Yeah. It's worth letting everyone know that when I run the league file, it does not receive my undivided attention currently. Baby is much more active and we're in the process of having a house built, so I haven't had the time to look into the stuff that I normally do.

It looks like it is just the Reds that haven't updated, but only now am I noticing that the export page isn't working right either. Going to see if I can figure that out. (Think I got it working. Added a yellow color for the dates. Red is now teams that have never exported. Yellow teams that need to update their file.)
http://gobl.obleague.com/lg/reports/news/html/leagues/export_reader.php

Rommel

Sim: 7 Day
Date: Dec 25, 2017
Notes:

Yeah. It's worth letting everyone know that when I run the league file, it does not receive my undivided attention currently. Baby is much more active and we're in the process of having a house built, so I haven't had the time to look into the stuff that I normally do.

It looks like it is just the Reds that haven't updated, but only now am I noticing that the export page isn't working right either. Going to see if I can figure that out. (Think I got it working. Added a yellow color for the dates. Red is now teams that have never exported. Yellow teams that need to update their file.)
http://gobl.obleague.com/lg/reports/news/html/leagues/export_reader.php

Samir Duenez on KC who I drafted in the rule 5 is not on my roster? Why is that?

brentech

Samir Duenez on KC who I drafted in the rule 5 is not on my roster? Why is that?

In the past when it messed up, in the history tab it would show they were drafted and then released, but this one only shows drafted by you, so your guess is as good as mine.
PM me to add him to your roster in tomorrow's sim.

brentech

Sim: 7 day
Date: Jan 1, 2018
Notes:

TRADE!

Tampa Bay sends:
3B Evan Longoria (GOBL)

3B Jefry Marte (GOBL)

Note for everyone, if you ever need to trade a player that is currently in your International Complex, please move them to a minor league team. They can't be traded from the IC and I have to manually move them and then trade.

Since the game isn't treating him as a Rule 5 pick, we will have to keep tabs on him.

Ron Mexico

Mentioned on Discord but figure I'll do so here as well-- there's an issue with FA.

A player I bid on (and got the e-mail saying I was top) just disappeared from the game entirely. His e-mail now links to a minor league SP with a different name from Colorado. Different name, different position, different everything.

brentech

Mentioned on Discord but figure I'll do so here as well-- there's an issue with FA.

A player I bid on (and got the e-mail saying I was top) just disappeared from the game entirely. His e-mail now links to a minor league SP with a different name from Colorado. Different name, different position, different everything.

Seems to be the case. I found him on the website since I was late to update tonight, the website is behind a day. Unfortunately I don't have a fix for that.

Because he never played in the majors, there is a real possibility that he retired. Players that never reached the majors are deleted from the game when retired. So that's my best guess, but I have no way to track that down.

Ron Mexico

Seems to be the case. I found him on the website since I was late to update tonight, the website is behind a day. Unfortunately I don't have a fix for that.

Because he never played in the majors, there is a real possibility that he retired. Players that never reached the majors are deleted from the game when retired. So that's my best guess, but I have no way to track that down.

He was a Cuban FA, one of those features recently added. There's no chance he retired (not for nothing else-- he had an active offer for decent money to boot), nor would it explain how his player ID became linked to someone else. Something happened during between the 2 sims where the league file itself was changed.

The issue there is there's no real way to tell what else, if anything, changed between the league files.

brentech

The issue there is there's no real way to tell what else, if anything, changed between the league files.
I don't disagree and I really don't have a solution or answer to that.
I run the same set of actions for every sim, but some things are out of my control.

Maybe dude signed a new contract in Cuba, or he wasn't allowed to enter the country due to an imposed travel ban o_0

That's baseball.

Ron Mexico

Maybe dude signed a new contract in Cuba, or he wasn't allowed to enter the country due to an imposed travel ban o_0

That's baseball.

Even Fausto Carmona...erm...Roberto Hernandez was still the same person playing the same position. I don't know how or why and I'm not going to imply intent. That said, there's definitely an issue.

Hate to do this, but I'm going to have to step down from the O's. The league file changing thing just calls too much into question to the point where it just won't be enjoyable anymore.

Good luck all.

Top Bottom