• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuroNeeko

The Mesmer grandmaster traits suck. If you go to grandmaster as a mesmer, you're more likely taking three lower tier traits rather than a grandmaster trait. The minor Grandmaster traits are good though.

Illusionary Persona and Prismatic Understanding don't look bad. PU is probably a little stinky for a GM trait though. :/

Thinking about trying a mantra build, but it just seems so lackluster compared to the Glamor skills.

etiolate

Banned
Illusionary Persona and Prismatic Understanding don't look bad. PU is probably a little stinky for a GM trait though. :/

Thinking about trying a mantra build, but it just seems so lackluster compared to the Glamor skills.

Persona is great for sword based shatter builds.

The issue with mantras is their whole design. The charging part takes you out of combat too long while you're in combat. Doesn't mesh well with the overall design of the game. Out of all of them, I use mantra of distraction the most since you get 2 dazes by default. A great, instant interrupt.

Loginius

Do we have a reason for the Trading Post being down again since yesterday?
The damn thing finally worked the way it was supposed to and now they decide to to change something in a desperate attempt to mess it up again or what?

(maybe we get a preview option?)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Are guardians really op? Damnit if that is the case.

Ashodin and I running as two guardians seem to destroy shit in WvW in small skirmishes, so my guess is yes, they're OP.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Doesn't the guy who created the OT have a right to be angry or am I missing something? He DID spend the time to do this for the fans of the game only to be shit on a bit for the title change and not contacting him. Doesn't this discourage some people from spending the time to make an informative OT? I don't understand the backlash against the OT OP.

I said before he could of just pm'd tek and things would of worked out just fine. Instead there was the whole ranting and crying stuff. Sure he can be a bit upset about it, it would be a bit upsetting. But it's not like the old thread of stuff was deleted his hard work is still preserved and if he pm'd it he probably could of just gotten the rights to make a real OT2 instead this happened. It's a huge mountain out of a molehill thing.

But it's ok from what I can tell the people who are boycotting the thread kicked most of the gaffers out of the guild already in the first place. Even active members.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
But it's ok from what I can tell the people who are boycotting the thread kicked most of the gaffers out of the guild already in the first place. Even active members.

Is this true? What was the whole point of having a GAF guild then if drama and politics are going to rumble through it?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is this true? What was the whole point of having a GAF guild then if drama and politics are going to rumble through it?

This was before said boycott, it was to preserve only the most active members in the guild for events or something due to the 300 member limit. Sadly from the looks of things guild management is ass and either too many people had the power to kick people or just plain elitism silliness. The last few days in the old thread had some pretty heavy damage control.

But yeah I would figure the purpose of a gaf guild would be for events and such. Hell I don't even know why they made their own forum for it all. That's a little silly. I would have just made a community thread for the guild. Leave the first post there to post events and event timings. Have a link at the top of the OT in the main thread for the community thread so it's easy to find for people. Bam simple as hell.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SBI is a good server with a bunch of excellent PVPers.

- From a HoD'er

*bow* I've been enjoying WvW on SBI. I like to think that we give Henge a run for its money once in a while.

This was before said boycott, it was to preserve only the most active members in the guild for events or something due to the 300 member limit. Sadly from the looks of things guild management is ass and either too many people had the power to kick people or just plain elitism silliness. The last few days in the old thread had some pretty heavy damage control.

This is not accurate.

The limit is 500. People were being kicked so that GAF Overflow players who were playing often could get into the main guild. They kicked some people who were active, without sufficient info on how to gauge a player's activity.

There's no elitism. In fact, they even said "If you want back in, send us a PM yo. We'll add you again. Apologies!"

It's a bit of a debacle, but it's not like told everyone to go suck a bag of dicks.

Personally, I think all of this could have been fixed from the outset by not all joining one guild. That is a flawed concept in itself. We should have split into 3-4 different guilds from the start. That's how SA does it, and it works rather well.

But yeah I would figure the purpose of a gaf guild would be for events and such. Hell I don't even know why they made their own forum for it all. That's a little silly. I would have just made a community thread for the guild. Leave the first post there to post events and event timings. Have a link at the top of the OT in the main thread for the community thread so it's easy to find for people. Bam simple as hell.

Plenty of forum guilds make their own forum for an MMO. You make this sound like some sort of unprecedented and alien action.

SA does this for all of their guilds.

Just having a community thread is a clusterfuck. You have to plan not just mobbing events, but PvP events, individual dungeon runs, teams for dungeons, communicate builds, etc etc. It's a nightmare to do all that in a single thread. The GW2 OT itself was already a mess with so many people trying to have a conversation about different aspects of the game. Personally, I just don't think a single OT works for MMOs at all.

A community subforum would be a far better idea, but that's not how GAF operates, and that's fine.

GrizzNKev

Banned
All I want to do is play through this game and I can't find the time to do it with schoolwork and matching up my schedule with my friends three time zones away. wahhh

thetrin

All I want to do is play through this game and I can't find the time to do it with schoolwork and matching up my schedule with my friends three time zones away. wahhh

unless you're doing dungeons or Orr, you'll get a lot more done just playing on your own time, playing with friends when they happen to be on, and generally wander out on your own.

It might not be your style, but it's worth giving it a try. The events and questing work well when approached that way.

Dreavus

I've tried out an all mantra build, and they're not too bad. I had a build with the trait that gets you three charges, the trait that gives you extra damage for each mantra charged, as well as the one that heals whenever you cast a mantra.

It's actually a pretty hardy build (you get healed off the initial mantra of healing charge and you get 3 charges of it!) but any kind of interrupting will absolutely wreck you. In PvP it was decent at best. Mantra of distraction is universally awesome, Mantra of pain is decent burst when you have 3 charges, and I was also using the mantra of concentration for stability finishes or breaking out of stuns. The problem is when you run out of charges in a fight, a good opponent will not let you recharge, especially your healing skill - and I was finding a majority of my fights would go way beyond my initial castings. I was hoping there'd be a trait that granted stability while charging a mantra (kinda like the old mantra of concentration in GW1 which prevented interrupts), but sadly there's nothing like that. You are at your opponents mercy once those charges are used up.

Mantra of healing is still awesome underwater, though. For some reason mantras charge way faster underwater, and along with only a 10 second cooldown, it can make you tough to take down.

Truth be told, I am having far more success with my stealth focused defensive build than I did with this one. Mantras have great utility and decent damage, but like I said, once you're out of charges you're not getting them back against observant opponents. :/

GrizzNKev

Banned
unless you're doing dungeons or Orr, you'll get a lot more done just playing on your own time, playing with friends when they happen to be on, and generally wander out on your own.

It might not be your style, but it's worth giving it a try. The events and questing work well when approached that way.

I've been tempted to play on my own but my friend bought the game specifically to play with me. At the rate we're going it'll take a year.

Ferga

The Mesmer grandmaster traits suck. If you go to grandmaster as a mesmer, you're more likely taking three lower tier traits rather than a grandmaster trait. The minor Grandmaster traits are good though.

This is so true :(

The grandmaster traits don't even match the weapon choice you want.

For example, a good conditional/tank mesmer would use staff primarily but the grandmaster traits for Chaos and Domination make no sense with the staff since it encourages you to shatter the clones actually do more damage since they are applying conditions and boons constantly.

The Prismatic understanding is okay for pvp though if you're running a stealth utility spell or you use a torch for your 2nd set of weapons but that's about it.

Are mantras actually viable for Mesmers? I'm level 72 and never actually used them since they seemed pretty useless.

I've seen some people use it well but they just seems kind of slow to me

thetrin

I've been tempted to play on my own but my friend bought the game specifically to play with me. At the rate we're going it'll take a year.

You can always level and go back to old zones to play with him. I get your point, though. My friend is picking up the game, and I will probably make a new character to play with him.

Ferga

So anyway, I have 65%ish map completion so far and have only gotten 3 black lion chest keys.

Does this game hate me or something?

thetrin

So anyway, I have 65%ish map completion so far and have only gotten 3 black lion chest keys.

Does this game hate me or something?

I've gotten most of my keys from random drops.

KuroNeeko

Mesmer Stuff

Mantra Gold

Mantra Cons

Good stuff!

From what I've been hearing, it seems like there are like what, 3 dominate playstyles out there for Mesmers? Shatter Burst, Conditional, Tank Illusions? My mez is only level 25, so I don't have access to any of the elites or even all of my slot skills so it's hard to test everything but does this sound about right?

Another thing I've been wondering about is the "Conditional" mesmer. Assuming that you're going into the fight with the intention of killing your enemy it looks like the biggest source of con. damage is going to be confusion with whatever else you can get from Chaos Armor / Storm and Staff 2 / 3 (unless we're talking about Sharper Images?) Does this seem right? Up until now, I've mostly been Staff and Sword (Scepter) / Pistol for kiting. I'm pretty successful in PvE and can usually just keep fighting without breaks so long as I don't pull too many ranged mobs.

Shatter I guess is stacking Power and then going for massive clone production like Mirror Images, Staff 2 / 3 and Deceptive Evasion? Seems like an interesting build, but I can see you running out of steam midfight or having big problems with all the AoEs in PvP.

I haven't tried the Tank build because I don't have the talents for it.

I like all of the things you can do with Mesmers. Seems like they have the potential to do a lot of cool stuff. I'm not seeing the synergies though that point to a solid build in PvE. We have a lot of Confusion and some interrupts but I guess I'll have to keep looking.

What kinds of builds do you like with your Mesmers?

Are mantras actually viable for Mesmers? I'm level 72 and never actually used them since they seemed pretty useless.

I nearly always have the Mantra of Concentration on my bar. Having 2 stun breakers has helped me a few times. I just wish it'd activate itself or negate the effect, but you have to click it, lol.

Dreavus

This is so true :(

The grandmaster traits don't even match the weapon choice you want.

For example, a good conditional/tank mesmer would use staff primarily but the grandmaster traits for Chaos and Domination make no sense with the staff since it encourages you to shatter the clones actually do more damage since they are applying conditions and boons constantly.

The Prismatic understanding is okay for pvp though if you're running a stealth utility spell or you use a torch for your 2nd set of weapons but that's about it.

I've seen some people use it well but they just seems kind of slow to me

I've been loving Prismatic understanding lately, but as you said, I'm running torch off-hand as well as Veil and Decoy as utilities to take full advantage of it. Rotating your three stealth abilities is actually a pretty great way to stay alive and confuse the hell out of people.

And I do like the flexibility of Restorative illusions as another great grandmaster trait, even when trying to run a phantasm build. Although I don't think putting 30 into inspiration is a very popular choice.

I really hate both the Domination and Dueling grandmaster traits, because for some reason all four of them seem to be pushing us towards using mantras (already not super great in PvP). Even Confounding Suggestions (50% chance to stun when using a daze) is probably best used with mantra of distraction as good source of dazing. They definitely need a bit more flexibility in our options at the end of those lines.

Sethos

Banned
They think they're being oppressed by those who don't endlessly fawn over every aspect of the game.

Yeah, that was also my first guess.

On that note, anyone else reached a sheer cliff drop when it comes to this game? It started out so well, had my WoW fatigue and was desperately looking for an alternative - Game wasn't even on my radar so hype was at an all-time low. I buy the game and I'm actually enjoying myself and find certain aspects very attractive but all of a sudden, like lightning from a clear sky I find the game utterly boring and depressive.

I just come to realize there is exactly no incentive to level your character, no urge to build up my character like most MMOs. Despite trying something new, after the first 30 levels the events / vista / poi thing gets repetitive and stale as hell, really not enjoying it. Then you get past level 50 and the QA stopped there, after level 50 there's areas you can't even complete due to showstopper bugs in the events and others you basically need to do the same task over and over, because the other tasks that's also part of the event doesn't work. There's no awesomeness at level 80 really, it feels like at level 1 you can experience just as much which is probably a 'good thing' for some but as I said, it gives you no incentive to level. It makes me ask the question: Why is there even levels in this game? Someone in this thread mentioned Elite Skills when I brought this up ... Those boring ass skills are about the last thing I'd care about.

Story mode everyone praises and the only positive thing I can find is the huge amount of XP. The stories are downright bad ( but since it's in an MMO, it is the major hotness. ) and the actual gameplay in these events are mediocre at best with a very few select events that actually sneak past passable.

WvWvW seemed brilliant on paper, getting that XP and enjoying some PvP fighting but man, the execution is horrible. Queue times are through the roof, when you finally get in you'll experience the most unfocused combat and zerg tug of wars. It's just so undefined, they sprinkle some 'PvE' type events in there and when playing alone as a lot of people are likely to do, you're just running around in what seems ages without seeing any action. "Oh there's action at the bottom of the map! - Oh shit, can't spawn anywhere close" and then starts your massive ass journey, pack a lunch.

sPvP is definitely more focused and has its moments but it's about earth to the sun distance of being able to carry the game and provide that fatigue break. Plus with no XP incentive and running around looking like a dildo in that gear, it's just not attractive.

The gear variety is so pathetic, mail users especially get hit with the crapbat - All the stuff, gear looks downright stupid or like level 1 gear, you never really look 'cool'. You aren't progressing either like other MMOs, like starting out looking like a hobo, getting more gear that will make you look like a fashion case gone wrong and then progressing on to decent looking sets. If you want a decent looking set you can buy cultural gear usually and waste all your heard earned money. Even at high level, some of the gear just posted in this thread makes me cringe ... Yet people find it awesome? I have seen 3 ... 3!! sets of armour in this game that I would classify as 'good looking' and they are all at the very end-game and requires a lot of effort ( i.e grinding ).

I hate the level scaling. Again, the "no incentive to level". While I can see why some people like it, I fucking hate it. You never feel like you're progressing. You never feel like you just get more and more powerful - You just feel like a pleb all through the game. I can see the pros for this, I really can but I just don't enjoy it. Even in a level appropriate area, you hit a wall in no time because mobs a level or two higher will start to give you trouble ... Then you need to visit lower areas to get your ass with you.

I liked the 5 skills, weapon switching at first but it gets boring in record time which isn't helped by the pretty stale combat of the game. Dodging is great, I like that but everything else is pretty bad. Fighting mobs just doesn't feel fun, feels annoying and at some point past level 40, everything starts to knock you down, chain you, make you limp and those effects just last way too long.

The game engine and control feel. You constantly feel like you're walking around in molasses and everything is very sluggish - Compared to certain other MMOs it's quite an atrocity. I also find the game depressing as hell - Those tiny view distances and generic scenery that looks to be made by coal miners who's never seen the light of day and someone described it over the phone. But the view distances are the killer, you feel like you're walking around in a small box and never get an impressive view. Game is so dreary and depressive to look at.

Oh and a last shout to the music of the game, it has some great tracks but they can be counted on one hand and most of it just blends into the game in an uninteresting and boring way, you never really notice it. Music is such an important part of a game, especially an MMO I feel and the key is to distinguish areas with a piece of great music but ... same shit plays over and over, some of it just goes unnoticed and a few select cities has some decent music.

Honestly the game has left the same taste in my mouth as Warhammer Online, I actually found that game more fun which says a lot.

Rant over ( Expecting a backlash and no one agreeing ).

Ken

Leveling my third alt, I've noticed that there isn't enough heart quests to level up in one zone without resorting to either going to a different area or sitting around waiting for events.

Kind of wish there were more story quests for the XP and gear to fill up that gap and to make the level gaps between story missions smaller.

Wait, people use block abilities?

Uh yeah; pretty helpful in PvE since bosses usually attack hard but not often. Being able to block those completely helps a lot.

--

I agree with a lot of the points Sethos brings up; I'm only still playing because I want to pretty up my characters. @_@

Rapstah

Oh and a last shout to the music of the game, it has some great tracks but they can be counted on one hand and most of it just blends into the game in an uninteresting and boring way, you never really notice it. Music is such an important part of a game, especially an MMO I feel and the key is to distinguish areas with a piece of great music but ... same shit plays over and over, some of it just goes unnoticed and a few select cities has some decent music.

About this, how many of the tracks are just repeats from Guild Wars 1? Playing mostly the human starting areas over and over again because the guy I'm playing with hasn't had time for a couple of days, I remember three distinct songs, and two of them were the pre-Searing Ascalon theme from GW1 and the GW1 menu music.

I agree with the rest of your points too, definitely the movement stuff.

Dreavus

Good stuff!

From what I've been hearing, it seems like there are like what, 3 dominate playstyles out there for Mesmers? Shatter Burst, Conditional, Tank Illusions? My mez is only level 25, so I don't have access to any of the elites or even all of my slot skills so it's hard to test everything but does this sound about right?

Another thing I've been wondering about is the "Conditional" mesmer. Assuming that you're going into the fight with the intention of killing your enemy it looks like the biggest source of con. damage is going to be confusion with whatever else you can get from Chaos Armor / Storm and Staff 2 / 3 (unless we're talking about Sharper Images?) Does this seem right? Up until now, I've mostly been Staff and Sword (Scepter) / Pistol for kiting. I'm pretty successful in PvE and can usually just keep fighting without breaks so long as I don't pull too many ranged mobs.

Shatter I guess is stacking Power and then going for massive clone production like Mirror Images, Staff 2 / 3 and Deceptive Evasion? Seems like an interesting build, but I can see you running out of steam midfight or having big problems with all the AoEs in PvP.

I haven't tried the Tank build because I don't have the talents for it.

I like all of the things you can do with Mesmers. Seems like they have the potential to do a lot of cool stuff. I'm not seeing the synergies though that point to a solid build in PvE. We have a lot of Confusion and some interrupts but I guess I'll have to keep looking.

What kinds of builds do you like with your Mesmers?

I never really understood what I was supposed to be doing with a conditions build, for pvp at least. Unless you can catch a Ranger going into Machine gun mode, I never felt that confusion stacking (with the scepter I suppose) was a super great option, and your other sources of condition damage are limited. Stacking short poisons and bleeds with your clones off of Staff skill 1 was alright I guess, but I was having trouble dealing enough damage fast enough.

Sharper images is actually pretty awesome, especially if you give your phantasms fury, but it's probably best with the pistol. I dunno if it's optimal, but if I'm playing with confusion I usually like using the torch instead for the phantasmal mage who inflicts a 9s confusion carry me between Confusing Images scepter beams. Still not super impressed with what Mesmers have on tap for condition builds, but I think confusion is pretty much the way you have to go if you want a hope of doing much damage with it.

I haven't been on sPvP for a little while, but I made a post back in the other thread talking about my build here

After having quite a bit of trouble settling on an effective build, that's the one that I've had the most success with. Abusing stealth along with a smattering of clones seems to work pretty well.

leng jai

I'm finding PvE extremely with the current build on my Mesmer. Weapons are staff + focus/sword and I can solo Vets several levels above me with ease and also pull several higher mobs at once. Chaos Storm and the glamor utilities make you pretty valuable support as well.

The main thing I focus on is constantly using phase retreat combined with an ethereal combo field so my character basically has Chaos Armor up at least 50% of the time. The auto attack of the staff seems to put a lot of people off because it's slow and the base damage is not much. The boons and conditions it applies with each bounce really stacks up (especially when you combine a few phase retreats clones as well) and you'll find that enemies drop pretty quickly without you even doing much.

I like the Focus as an offhand weapon though it's kinda niche and hard to use. Temporal curtain is good for getting around as it has a 25 second cooldown and grants toy swiftness for 12 seconds. The second chain of the ability pulls enemies through the curtain so it's useful if you want to drag a mob off you. Phantasmal Warden does a lot of damage but the downside is that it can't move. It also reflects all ranged damage so sometimes I just summon it and stand inside.

Main utilities:

Null Field: Strips all boons and conditions whilst also being an ethereal combo field.

Mirror Images: Pretty essential for a Mesmer I think - instantly summons two clones with a cooldown of only 30 seconds.

Feedback: Probably the most useful in dungeons for ranged mobs that stand still. I swap this one for decoy and blink sometimes. Also an ethereal combo field.

Elite = Time Warp: Seems insanely strong and pretty much what I use all the time now. Makes everyone inside the bubble attack at twice the rate for 10 seconds.

As far as traits are concerned I'm at 72 right now and gone:

Domination 20
Chaos 20
Illusions 20

In Domination I use Crippling Dissipation and Mental Torment. CD is useful when you're kiting since it cripples mobs everytime when of your illusions die. MT adds 20% to the Mind Wrack shatter so it's good for finishing mobs off.

In Chaos I use Illusionary Defense and Chaotic Dampening. ID reduces your damage inductions by 3% for every illusion and it all adds up. CD is a must for anyone using the staff since it adds 50 toughness and reduces the recharge of staff skills by half.

In Illusions I use Precise Wrack and Illusionary Elasticity. PW is self explanatory - 10% crit chance for Mind Wrack. IE is essential IMO for anyone using the staff. It makes the auto attack much stronger because it adds one additional bounce which means another boon/condition applied everytime. Just a side note the minor trait here called Illusionists Celerity - it's 5 points into the Illusions tree and reduces the recharge of illusion summoning skills by 20%. Cheap to get and very useful.

Sorry about the messy post but hope it helps someone.

KuroNeeko

Read through your post. Seems like a valid complaints. I'm not going to call you names or whatever, nor am I going to try to defend the game. It is what it is. I'm sure they'll need to introduce new material into the game. WoW (the MMO I've played that remotely resembles this game) managed to evolve into something the majority enjoys over the span of a few years. In fact, ArenaNet will need to do this if they want to sell expansions and Gems.

I'm sure it's like every other game out there - your mileage may vary. I don't agree with all of your points, I never really expected much from story events - in fact, I think they'd be better off going with a global type story like in WoW as you'd have the opportunity to make your own story through RPing.

I'm not sure how many hours you put into the game, but I think it will just get to the point where you'll look at the time invested and decide whether or not it was worth the cash. You could probably put it off to the side and come back a few months or a year later and check out the new stuff. Maybe you've just had your fill of the game.

I'll probably keep going. I don't know that I'll ever reach cap, but then again I never reached cap in WoW either. I could probably stop playing GW tomorrow and I wouldn't regret my purchase. I'm sure the game will grow over time. I guess we'll see.

As for backlash and whatever, I think some posters in this thread, namely TheYanger*, have been overly confrontational. I don't disagree with everything he said, but there comes a point when you and the people you disagree with need to agree not to agree and move on. I know Hawkian and a few others really enjoy the game and I'm equally sure that they acknowledge that there are flaws in the game. Thing is, maybe they choose not to focus on them. Maybe the positive far outweighs the negative for them. That viewpoint is just as valid as anyone else's.

*Just to be clear, I'm not saying that TheYanger is wrong for posting criticism about the game, I agree with some of his points and they're all valid since they apply to his experience. I think the conversation between him (or "the critics") and the "supporters" went well beyond the point of constructive conversation.

I don't think they've hoarded their power as guild leader and just banned people who disagreed with them. I wouldn't blame them though if they banned people who were being overly negative within the game. If you feel how you feel, you don't need to convince everyone else that you're right - especially if doing so takes away from the enjoyment of the game.

Oh well. Thanks for post. I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the same way you do. I'll probably keep playing though as it's still fun for me.

TheYanger

Read through your post. Seems like a valid complaints. I'm not going to call you names or whatever, nor am I going to try to defend the game. It is what it is. I'm sure they'll need to introduce new material into the game. WoW (the MMO I've played that remotely resembles this game) managed to evolve into something the majority enjoys over the span of a few years. In fact, ArenaNet will need to do this if they want to sell expansions and Gems.

I'm sure it's like every other game out there - your mileage may vary. I don't agree with all of your points, I never really expected much from story events - in fact, I think they'd be better off going with a global type story like in WoW as you'd have the opportunity to make your own story through RPing.

I'm not sure how many hours you put into the game, but I think it will just get to the point where you'll look at the time invested and decide whether or not it was worth the cash. You could probably put it off to the side and come back a few months or a year later and check out the new stuff. Maybe you've just had your fill of the game.

I'll probably keep going. I don't know that I'll ever reach cap, but then again I never reached cap in WoW either. I could probably stop playing GW tomorrow and I wouldn't regret my purchase. I'm sure the game will grow over time. I guess we'll see.

As for backlash and whatever, I think some posters in this thread, namely TheYanger, have been overly confrontational. I don't disagree with everything he said, but there comes a point when you and the people you disagree with need to agree not to agree and move on. I know Hawkian and a few others really enjoy the game and I'm equally sure that they acknowledge that there are flaws in the game. Thing is, maybe they choose not to focus on them. Maybe the positive far outweighs the negative for them. That viewpoint is just as valid as anyone else's.

I don't think they've hoarded their power as guild leader and just banned people who disagreed with them. I wouldn't blame them though if they banned people who were being overly negative within the game. If you feel how you feel, you don't need to convince everyone else that you're right - especially if doing so takes away from the enjoyment of the game.

Oh well. Thanks for post. I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the same way you do. I'll probably keep playing though as it's still fun for me.

I got kicked from the Overflow guild (the one that nobody is supposed to get kicked from) because of disagreeing with them in the thread. In game I've never been anything but pleasant, because that's how I roll.

Now I'm probably the 'extreme' example, but it's still pretty ridiculous. One thing you never do if you're trying to lead a guild is take your power and responsibility for granted. I've known plenty of people I've disagreed with over the years, but just as I wouldn't ban someone from the forums for expressing an opinion in opposition to mine, I would never kick them out of a guild. To each his own!

KuroNeeko

I got kicked from the Overflow guild (the one that nobody is supposed to get kicked from) because of disagreeing with them in the thread. In game I've never been anything but pleasant, because that's how I roll.

Now I'm probably the 'extreme' example, but it's still pretty ridiculous. One thing you never do if you're trying to lead a guild is take your power and responsibility for granted. I've known plenty of people I've disagreed with over the years, but just as I wouldn't ban someone from the forums for expressing an opinion in opposition to mine, I would never kick them out of a guild. To each his own!

Well, if that is true, then I don't agree with it. If you were positive and courteous online, I'd have no problem with you in the guild. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and banning shouldn't be a quick fix for the official NeoGaf guild. If they thought you were being overly confrontational online, and that your actions could detract from the enjoyment of others, then I'd have no problem if they asked you to leave, put it up to a vote, or suspended you and then posted the reasons on the forum.

Seems like a lot of work and drama, but it sounds fair.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Well, if that is true, then I don't agree with it. If you were positive and courteous online, I'd have no problem with you in the guild. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and banning shouldn't be a quick fix for the official NeoGaf guild. If they thought you were being overly confrontational online, and that your actions could detract from the enjoyment of others, then I'd have no problem if they asked you to leave, put it up to a vote, or suspended you and then posted the reasons on the forum.

Seems like a lot of work and drama, but it sounds fair.

As I remember it, one of the guild's first rules was "everyone who encourages drama ingame or on GAF will be kicked, no discussion", and he did pretty much exactly that. Just saying.

Loginius

I like the game.

But I thought it would be completely different and a lot "better" when I heard about Anets idea and first information about what GW2 would be.

The DE and general progression are a massive letdown, not that they are bad, but they are not what I expected when they told me of the different things I can do in a event and that I could take part in it no matter where it happens and which lvl I am.

In my opinion this system would be awesome if your general DE would go like this:

First:
There should be no lvl Zones, I start my journey and can go wherever I want and gain something from it because of how DEs (should) work.

Second:
No Heart Quests, why are they there anyway?

And finally:
A DE should work like this:
Lets say a village gets attacked by centaurs (sounds familiar?) if you are low lvl you grab a can of water and fight the spreading fire, build barricades, guide the townspeople to shelter or fight the skelks that use this chance to loot the houses.
If you are high lvl you start kicking the centaurs arse, manage balistas and if you are lvl 80 and in exotic gear you start attacking the comander of those centaurs which is guarded by his elite bodyguards.

Whatever you do you get rewarded for in a way that makes sense for your lvl and effort.

Dragon attacks should be random and happening in all areas, once one of them appears you get a notification that shits going down like you get with the shadow beheomoth etc. atm.
Low lvl player cant engage them head on and have to use siege weapons (and build them) or do some damage control on the villages etc.
High lvl players have to coordinate small groups of npcs that then attack the dragon with balistas/catapults/asura tech in order to bring it down... /use the biggest and badest of those weapons themself.
No one should stand before the damn thing and slash away with a sword....

This system would make sure that there is a reason to just wander the world no matter which lvl you are (and not just farm orr all day once you hit 80).
Also it would give players a feeling of progression even though you can go anywhere and do anything at every lvl because you go from fighting rats and puting out fire to figthing undead and giants while coordinating sieges and armies.

That said the game is really god, but I dont see myself playing it in a year (exept for the expansions) because in the end the DEs are not what I immagened (just very well done, repeatable quests) and there is no reason to go back to any of the old zones if your not farming mats.

Then again I never played WoW, Aion, Tera, any other mmo longer than I needed to see all the content and always found it strange that people find a reason to stick around for years.

The PvP is very nice imo, but that will only keep me until Halo 4 is released.

Sadly many MMO players probably would not be very pleased with a game like this because there would be no max. efficient way of farming, and if I were to make any decisions: no dungeons or personal story or anything else that is so tacked on and experience breaking that it feels like a seperate game (speaking about PvE)...
If you want to have that awesome dragon loot gear you sure as shit would have to wander the world and see if one is attacking anywhere then salvage the right materials and find someone who can craft your item. I dont care that this would be luck based, atm gear is time spend farming dungeons based which is way worse imo and leads to people looking the same everywhere.
(I got a little side tracked there, sorry)

What I think Anet nailed is getting rid of the stupid MMO gear progression at end game but then again they already had this one in GW1.

Still a very good game, just not the MMO Im waiting for and that will hold my interest for years.

Naeblish

Actually, i agree with most of your points. I think this is an excellent game, but i have 3 lvl's 20's and a fourth on the way (thief), and i lose all interest in playing after reaching lvl 20 for some reason. I think the lack of character progression at that point just makes it all feel so pointless. Not complaining though, certainly got my money's worth out of it.

Torraz

I've gotten most of my keys from random drops.

I've gotten approximately 3/4 of my keys from a black lion chest (that i opened from a key I got from zone completion...).

/snip
Second:
No Heart Quests, why are they there anyway?

/snip

The best reason I can think of is that the world is pretty damn large. Hearts serve a bit to concentrate people so that events can start

JCizzle

Actually, i agree with most of your points. I think this is an excellent game, but i have 3 lvl's 20's and a fourth on the way (thief), and i lose all interest in playing after reaching lvl 20 for some reason. I think the lack of character progression at that point just makes it all feel so pointless. Not complaining though, certainly got my money's worth out of it.

Same here. Knowing that dungeons aren't really going to be anything fun and not being into PVP kind of sucked the urge from me. There are some awesome aspects about the game, but the negatives outweigh them to me based on what I need from an MMO. Oh well, as you said - definitely was worth the $.

You're so fucking wrong it's hilarious.

There was an overflow guild of active people, a miscommunication and some people got kicked that probably shouldn't have been, same with the main guild. It's as easy as just messaging an officer and saying so. With the low guild cap and some people not being logged in for days and weeks something had to be done due to the mass amount of people.

Heavy damage control? Dude, you're like a drama queen, the shit was easy as hell to handle and the guild is fun as hell with some great people leading it. You're completely misinformed and have no clue of what you are talking about. Elitism? Are you serious? We got lead around as noobs by other people learning WvW. They have been nothing but helpful and nice. I honestly have no idea where you're coming from on this.

In fact there is a thread on the guild forums where people are asking "hey I got kicked, what's up with that?" "no problem, was a miscommunication, just PM an officer and you'll be right back in" ...

etiolate

Banned
I suggest getting off the carrot on a stick drug.

I believe for awhile the game lacked levels, and you can sort of see evidence of that in the final game. But people wanted some sense of progression, so they put in levels. Beyond levels, there's traits, and beyond traits, there is better learning your class. I didn't touch sword/sword or Focus OH as a Mesmer until much later into the game.

I have found the real progression of the game to be seeing the world. I hit 80 tonight and I'm at 39% map completion. There's a lot of events and nooks and crannies that I haven't seen yet. I think people undersell the PVE and Events as part of a really reductionist viewpoint of the game. Even in the case where you have two events that are "kill mobs", the scenario and the type of mobs keep it interesting. It also helps that the combat is fun. I think the main reason there are so many wave/defend Events is because it highlights the combat.

Beyond that, my story quest experience has been pretty good. Maybe it's being Asura. I don't know. I also like how being a part of the Order of Whispers gets me extra info from Whispers NPCs in the world, and allows me secret passages and rooms out in the world.

leng jai

I can't understand what people mean when they say they can't see character progression. You constantly get new gear, find new areas and obtain new traits. Most classes have a lot of weapon combinations and abilities to use so you'd be constantly getting better at "playing".

My biggest problem with the game is having pretty much top tier spells and skills around 30. After that I feel like there is really no progression except for gear and traits. I just feel like there should always be a new skill I am waiting to get. I liked how WoW had tiers of skills also. Pushing you to get to max level so your version of your favorite spell was even more powerful. Aside from that I adore the game, and I haven't even stepped a toe into WvW yet.

Ken

I can't understand what people mean when they say they can't see character progression. You constantly get new gear,

Have you seen the human heavy armor progression? You look the same until 35 when the rare Barbarian looking sets are open, and that's assuming that piece of armor reward has the stats you want. If not, you'll probably get stuck with something similar looking to what you had 15 levels ago.

I haven't played a medium armor class too far but everything just looks like the same vest/jacket thing until 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom