• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia will allow women to drive

womfalcs3

Banned
It's better late than never, I guess. Women will be allowed to get their driver's license locally in June, although I have heard they can already drive if they have a license from neighboring GCC countries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-women-drive.html (story from the end of September, but I didn't see it on here when I searched)

I think the decline in the foreign recruitment of drivers will be gradual, and some families will opt to hold onto their driver. We won't see the long-term effects until a few years down the road.

And I don't know why car ownership will increase. There's more to it than just permitting women to drive. First, there's the fact if drivers will return to their home countries, there will be cars available to the household that would not be used. Second, there are income effects: the income of Saudi households likely decreased this year from last. They may not have enough money to buy cars. Of course, this is a statement for the average household.

In any case, there would be one major effect in the long-term: instead of driving to school/work/college then driving back, women who drive will cut that routine in half by not having drivers drive back home. This will improve traffic flows and lower fuel consumption.

llien

WGbpAkB.png

Explanations by american Muslims:
http://www.mpvusa.org/sharia-law/

Very generous of them, wankers. Islam is a complete disgrace.

Speaking against Islam is a courageous thing to do. While anyone can analyze Christianity and Judaism in and out.. criticize it in any kind of way... Islam is not the same and, even in Democratic countries, will try to silence you.

Speaking against Islam is a courageous thing to do. While anyone can analyze Christianity and Judaism in and out.. criticize it in any kind of way... Islam is not the same and, even in Democratic countries, will try to silence you.

The lefts coddling of Islam is ridiculous... Australia had a public vote for gay marriage and areas with high muslim populations overwhelmingly voted NO

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...y/news-story/a932816bc9b3a917eb2143c3d4d94aa5

You have isis throwing gay people off buildings but you see these soy boy types only saying "Not all muslims"....

The lefts coddling of Islam is ridiculous... Australia had a public vote for gay marriage and areas with high muslim populations overwhelmingly voted NO

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...y/news-story/a932816bc9b3a917eb2143c3d4d94aa5

You have isis throwing gay people off buildings but you see these soy boy types only saying "Not all muslims"....

Its a horrible shame. I'm a leftist and this religion is contrary to everything I believe. We should not be embracing it at all.

Dunki

Great now that women are allowed to drive maybe they can also stop educating the men on TV how to punish their wife's with this kind of toothbrush.

Also now that its allowed I wonder what feminist Icon, Women's March leader and Glamour's women of the Year 2017 is now saying. Her last statement regarding this was not very good IMO.

Crc_HQiWEAA-DE4.jpg

Also in Iran it is haram for a woman to ride on a bicycle in public because it will make men horny. But hey go Arabia.

golfham

Some great things are happening in Saudi Arabia thanks to the Crown Prince. I’m just so impressed with how progressive and ambitious he is. Such a refreshing change.

i-Lo

Its a horrible shame. I'm a leftist and this religion is contrary to everything I believe. We should not be embracing it at all.

I can only imagine how progressive and non practicing muslim gaffers would feel perusing these responses. Some people often conveniently forget that the first victims of ISIL were muslims.

golfham

I can only imagine how progressive and non practicing muslim gaffers would feel perusing these responses. Some people often conveniently forget that the first victims of ISIL were muslims.
If they’re non-practicing then they probably feel the same way.

Well I imagine they SHOULD feel ashamed about their fellow muslims whom the majority voted NO in the gay marriage vote?

Dunki

The sad part is that these progressive Muslims are a very small minority. Example: Out of 10 mosques in Germany 8 are teaching radical believes because they are financed by Turkey and Saudi Arabia. The Muslim organization here is defending someone like Erdogan as well.

I bet its all dandy in America with Muslims. I wish we had these kind of people but sadly we have also a ton of trash to be direct. People who force their children to marry. People who do not want to shake the hand of a women, And I am not even talking about the people who had almost no integration here. We even have parts in Germany with its own secret Sahrai law system. Which means they bypass our law and bring their cases to a sharia judge.

What we need in Europe is to actually thwor every mosques out which is finaned by these countries. then we need to build our own and they need to be managed by in Europe educated Imans. Then maybe then Islam has a chance here.

golfham

If only life was that cut n dry brother.
You’d be surprised. This is anecdotal, but, there are plenty of fine Muslims, (especially) Muslim Americans who are embarassed by their religion. I also know many liberal Muslims who remain religious but criticize the extremist elements of Islam.

How else will there be much needed reform in Islam? The religion is fair game to criticize, but attacking/hating Muslims is a different story (and not something I condone).

You’d be surprised. This is anecdotal, but, there are plenty of fine Muslims, (especially) Muslim Americans who are embarassed by their religion. I also know many liberal Muslims who remain religious but criticize the extremist elements of Islam.

How else will there be much needed reform in Islam? The religion is fair game to criticize, but attacking/hating Muslims is a different story (and not something I condone).

I really wish these people had a louder voice in countries where Muslims are the majority. Allowing women to drive is definitely a step in the right direction but they have so very long to go.

so strange that you suddenly know nothing about how queer people are treated in other countries

Lol im here for 6 weeks and have been here 4 already.

I was born in Germany and raised in Australia so I know how those countries are....

And I know outside of the West gay people don't have it easy.

Why are you trying to deflect from islam friend?

Ubername

Banned
Homophobia was invented in the Middle East didn’t you know

Australia would have had gay marriage for many years now if not for those evil muslim immigrants

Is this a joke? Homophobia was first documented in Africa when African natives massacred entire villages of white colonists because they were believed to be gay, ironically this was only because of their elaborate dress and the policy of not bringing women on colony ships at the time. It has absolutely nothing to do with the East.

golfham

I really wish these people had a louder voice in countries where Muslims are the majority. Allowing women to drive is definitely a step in the right direction but they have so very long to go.
There are quite a few, but you don’t know about them because you (probably) don’t speak/read in Arabic so you’d never hear about them.

Islam isn’t really a religion that welcomes the kind of criticism or reform you’re talking about anyways. Apostates are routinely lynched in many Islamic countries (by regular Muslims no less), so I’d imagine that progressives would rather live normal lives rather than expose their reformist views.

Islam is not beyond reproach, and Americans Liberals need to stop policing those critical of the religion, because doing so only strengthens the fundamentalist/extremists who also shun any criticism.

Dunki

Nah you do not understand. Acroding to Turkey they just want to protect homosexual people because other could attack and harm them. This reasoning is almost as bad as when they said that teaching children in school evolution will just confuse them. And yes they really said this. But hey the EU still gives them tons of money to keep their own problems (refugees) away

Nah you do not understand. Acroding to Turkey they just want to protect homosexual people because other could attack adn harm them.

/s

With the amount of protection alt lefters give islam i wouldn't be surprised if someone made that post in all seriousness ....but hey lets attempt to shit on eastern Europe cos they are white and close enough to the Russian boogyman Madam President was defeated by

Dunki

How exactly does one commit adultery if not married?

To commit adultery there are always two people. If you are married and cheat you are stoned to death if you are not married but commit adultary with a married men you "just" get the 100 lashes.

Mohonky

So, Iran and SA are actually worse than ISIS in one case? Holy shit! I knew they were shitholes but this is something else.
Edit: Which is worse, crucifixion or death, might be debatable. But hey.

Crucifixion. You could be up there for days. Cruxifixion was used by a lot of cultures and reserved as one if the harshest punishments that could be dealt out, same with impalement.

Though 'death' really depends. Given ISIS loved making high quality videos of their newest and latest ways of enforcing the death penalty, I suppose it depends on what death entailed to make any comparison as that could be anything from an explosive neck colar, to being trapped in a cage and submerged in water or set on fire.

Crucifixion. You could be up there for days. Cruxifixion was used by a lot of cultures and reserved as one if the harshest punishments that could be dealt out, same with impalement.

Though 'death' really depends. Given ISIS loved making high quality videos of their newest and latest ways of enforcing the death penalty, I suppose it depends on what death entailed to make any comparison as that could be anything from an explosive neck colar, to being trapped in a cage and submerged in water or set on fire.

The thing is that ISIS was hated worldwide for their barbaric acts but countries like Saudi Arabia are doing the same thing and everyone turns a blind eye to it because of their filthy oil money. I can only hope that the progress they have made recently towards women’s rights extends to other areas.

llien

I have seen a woman from SA speaking for Shariah Law along "fuck off and don't teach us how to live" lines on FB. "Punishments are harsh and that's why nobody steals".

Look at what has happened which Charlie Hebdo. I don't know if people remember that it wasn't even them starting the whole "draw the Prophet" drama.

But they were the only ones, who dared supporting the case. No other major newspaper/TV did.

Thanks for that, now we have a de facto censorship imposed by the likes of ISIS.

Which is worse, crucifixion or death, might be debatable. But hey.

Crucifiction is definitely worse, there is nothing to debate (hours, sometimes days of torture to death). But amputation of a leg and food is arguably not as harsh as death sentence.

One thing I wonder is, whether all these laws are actually applied in practice.

aaronsan

Banned
Great now that women are allowed to drive maybe they can also stop educating the men on TV how to punish their wife's with this kind of toothbrush.

Also now that its allowed I wonder what feminist Icon, Women's March leader and Glamour's women of the Year 2017 is now saying. Her last statement regarding this was not very good IMO.

Crc_HQiWEAA-DE4.jpg

Also in Iran it is haram for a woman to ride on a bicycle in public because it will make men horny. But hey go Arabia.

Wow. Yes "Linda" (like that's her real name), it's far worse to prevent women from driving than it is to not give quite enough maternity leave. FFS.

Top Bottom